Sign in to stalk this  
Requiem

Favourite Vocalists by Genre

Who do you find are the best examples of vocalists of the various metal genres? Subjectivity is everything here. Here are my subjects ranked from amazing to most amazing in a top 5 for the genre of black metal: 

Requiem's Top 5 Black Metal Vocalists

5. Legion (Marduk)

Who comes in at number 5? Hoest? Nocturno Culto? Quorthon? Gaahl? Attila? My beloved Maniac? Well, I have to be honest with myself here and say that pound for pound I rate Legion higher. His idiosyncratic work on the incredible 'World Funeral' and 'Panzer Division Marduk' albums is just so distinctive, and there's something about his sound that just nails my soul. I love how you can make out what he's saying, his intonation and that hint of a Swedish accent that comes through. I think the band really lost some of their uniqueness when he left and Mortuus joined. 

4. Ihsahn (Emperor)

Obviously a great guitar player, but his voice is just transcendent. Those first few lines from 'Into the Infinity of Thoughts' from 'In the Nightside Eclipse' are hard to beat. I don't think anyone can transport me to a Norwegian snow-covered forest as well as he can with a few rasped lyrics. His great work in 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' is also so far above most of the competition it's not funny. Ihsahn is one of those guys who just has the x-factor. He was born for it.

3. Emperor Magus Caligula (Dark Funeral)

Like my Legion inclusion, this might surprise many, partly due to Dark Funeral's less-than-true credentials, partly cause he has a dumb name. But just put all that aside and listen to this guy. Listen to his howls on the 'Diabolis Interium' album. Listen to him on the track 'King Antichrist' from its follow-up. They're screams from the depths of hell itself and I buy it, wholesale. He just adds life (death?) to the songs he's on and they just elevate. He turns catchy tunes into anthems.  

2. Varg Vikernes (Burzum)

As far as naturally suited voices for black metal go, it's impossible to beat this guy. Those screams on the first four Burzum albums are inhuman and just add so much to the music. There's just an authenticity to them that cuts right to the soul of the listener. There's desperation mixed with triumphalism somehow. It's a paradox that works and in many ways symbolises what is so transfixing about that era of Norwegian black metal. 

1. Dead (Mayhem)

Most of the audio for Per is from live Mayhem shows, which is perfect because it just shows the power, tone and - again - authenticity going on here. Dead was a unique guy in many ways. He's the best black metal vocalist that ever lived, in my opinion.

Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

I actually had a good experience with Legion recently when playing Ophthalamia's Via Dolorosa. Ophthalamia has long been one of my favorite Swedish black metal bands, but I almost always reach for their debut A Journey In Darkness with Jon Nödtveidt handling vocals. I must not have been in the mood for Via Dolorosa the last time that I spun it before last week, but it checked all the same boxes as the debut, and Legions vocals were a part of that. I've never heard him so varied and impassioned before, I wish it's something he had carried into Marduk. His delivery on albums like Heaven Shall Burn is every bit as grating and monotonous as the music, so he's a good fit in that regard, but it's almost like an endurance test of how much of the same thing that you can handle before the album ends. That sort of tedium is how I've always felt about Dark Funeral, but Magus is even more grating for me than Legion. He sounds like a cat getting raped by a hot branding iron, and not in a good way. Vocal lines like 666 Voices Inside fill me with laughter at their absolute silliness rather than some sense of evil or darkness. He sounded a lot more menacing on Hypocrisy's Penetralia and Osculum Obscenum, where his overbearing and unskilled approach was actually kind of endearing and fit the music well.

In any case, I think these vocalists have done good work, so I'm not discrediting their inclusion. We like different things, I don't see the appeal of mid-period Marduk or Dark Funeral, and that's alright. Just adding my 2 cents I suppose. I can't argue with the other picks though, especially Ihsahn with the strength of his clean vocals complimenting his harsh lines. I prefer Attila for Mayhem, but Dead is no less a beast, I just like Attila's more varied and original approach better. Varg's pained howls are magnificent too, that was the first thing that grabbed me about his music. Solid list.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

Who do you find are the best examples of vocalists of the various metal genres? Subjectivity is everything here. Here are my subjects ranked from amazing to most amazing in a top 5 for the genre of black metal: 

Requiem's Top 5 Black Metal Vocalists

5. Legion (Marduk)

Who comes in at number 5? Hoest? Nocturno Culto? Quorthon? Gaahl? Attila? My beloved Maniac? Well, I have to be honest with myself here and say that pound for pound I rate Legion higher. His idiosyncratic work on the incredible 'World Funeral' and 'Panzer Division Marduk' albums is just so distinctive, and there's something about his sound that just nails my soul. I love how you can make out what he's saying, his intonation and that hint of a Swedish accent that comes through. I think the band really lost some of their uniqueness when he left and Mortuus joined. 

4. Ihsahn (Emperor)

Obviously a great guitar player, but his voice is just transcendent. Those first few lines from 'Into the Infinity of Thoughts' from 'In the Nightside Eclipse' are hard to beat. I don't think anyone can transport me to a Norwegian snow-covered forest as well as he can with a few rasped lyrics. His great work in 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' is also so far above most of the competition it's not funny. Ihsahn is one of those guys who just has the x-factor. He was born for it.

3. Emperor Magus Caligula (Dark Funeral)

Like my Legion inclusion, this might surprise many, partly due to Dark Funeral's less-than-true credentials, partly cause he has a dumb name. But just put all that aside and listen to this guy. Listen to his howls on the 'Diabolis Interium' album. Listen to him on the track 'King Antichrist' from its follow-up. They're screams from the depths of hell itself and I buy it, wholesale. He just adds life (death?) to the songs he's on and they just elevate. He turns catchy tunes into anthems.  

2. Varg Vikernes (Burzum)

As far as naturally suited voices for black metal go, it's impossible to beat this guy. Those screams on the first four Burzum albums are inhuman and just add so much to the music. There's just an authenticity to them that cuts right to the soul of the listener. There's desperation mixed with triumphalism somehow. It's a paradox that works and in many ways symbolises what is so transfixing about that era of Norwegian black metal. 

1. Dead (Mayhem)

Most of the audio for Per is from live Mayhem shows, which is perfect because it just shows the power, tone and - again - authenticity going on here. Dead was a unique guy in many ways. He's the best black metal vocalist that ever lived, in my opinion.

Personally, I would put Ihsahn over Caligula.  His work on Anthems was too amazing to simply be #4.

I thought Varg's vocals on his later albums were good too.  Different, but good.

I would also inject Thurios from Drudkh into the conversation.  I always thought that his vocals were perfectly balanced for black metal.

Steffen krummerer Obscura one of the best tech Death  vocalist he has different ranges in his growl his clean singing is good he also has a good black metal voice as well very talented guitarist as well

matt heafy trivium  another very good vocalist he has a good range as well  another very talented guitarist as well 

3 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

Steffen krummer Obscura 

matt hefty trivium 

You should check your spelling on these guys, and the point of the thread is to talk about your favorite vocalists in specific genres. Don't just list vocalists you like, we already have a thread for that.

My favorite BM (well, folk/black) vocalist that hasn't been mentioned yet is Garm. Early Garm, anyway. His screams on Ulver's black metal albums and Borknagar's debut are still some of the most vicious I've heard, and the clean chanting stuff on those albums is brilliant as well. I can even get behind his voice on Ulver's William Blake album and some of what he did with Arcturus. Seconded or thirded on Varg as well, even when I hadn't gotten into Burzum I had to give him credit for his amazing vocals.

I'll type up a DM list when I have some more time, hopefully...

6 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

You should check your spelling on these guys, and the point of the thread is to talk about your favorite vocalists in specific genres. Don't just list vocalists you like, we already have a thread for that.

My favorite BM (well, folk/black) vocalist that hasn't been mentioned yet is Garm. Early Garm, anyway. His screams on Ulver's black metal albums and Borknagar's debut are still some of the most vicious I've heard, and the clean chanting stuff on those albums is brilliant as well. I can even get behind his voice on Ulver's William Blake album and some of what he did with Arcturus. Seconded or thirded on Varg as well, even when I hadn't gotten into Burzum I had to give him credit for his amazing vocals.

The spelling is correct on these guys on the booklet I have on there albums I fix it as well thanks again for helping me out 

I prefer Garm's absolutely stunning cleans on The Sham Mirrors, but he was great on The Olden Domain, Bergtatt, Nattens Madrigal, and Aspera Hiems Symfonia. Good call.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Garm/Trickster G was in the back of my mind the whole time I did my list. I just couldn't squeeze him in. His cleans are in particular so good. His guest vocals on Borknagar's 'Winter Thrice' from last year is a great example. 

There are so many great vocalists out there, that's why I thought a thread like this could be cool. I'm really looking forward to seeing what other people think about all sorts of genres. 

Requiem's Top 5 Gothic/Gothic Doom/Dark Alternative Metal Vocalists

Singers who create more than just a dark atmosphere for their bands. Who has that ability to go beyond dark lyrics to really pinpoint the atmosphere, as far as my ears are concerned?

5. Liv Kristine (Theatre of Tragedy)

When I first heard Liv's voice back in about 1997 it was a really revelatory moment. Partnered with Raymond's growls, her lilting soprano had such a unique and beautiful timbre to it that I had to rethink metal's potential. While her work in Leaves' Eyes is definitely cool, her work as a late teen/early 20s singer puts her in the list here. 

4. Aleah Stainbridge (Trees of Eternity)

In theory Aleah could be higher in the list, but with her tragic death there will only ever be one full length album. Pretty much everyone who has heard her work on 'Hour of the Nightingale' is left haunted. The demo version of 'My Requiem' seems to have a lot of plays on youtube which concerns me, because the album version of that song is true perfection and a better example of her ability. She was also a brilliant lyricist. 

3. Thomas AJ Jensen (Saturnus)

This guy is never discussed, yet I would have it that he's the third best in this genre. His work on the first three Saturnus releases ('Paradise Belongs to You', 'For the Loveless Lonely Nights' and 'Martyre') are tours de force. With spoken word, mid range bark and deep doom rumble, he is a shining jewel in an ocean of wannabes. 

2. Jonas Renkse (Katatonia)

Always hard to pinpoint Katatonia's exact genre. What's easy is the determination that his voice is one of those freaks of nature. Its tone, timbre and his use of phrasing is stunning. It's like he doesn't even really have to try. Tracking his clean voice development from 'Discouraged Ones' to their most recent 'The Fall of Hearts' is one of music's great pleasures. 

1. Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

I dislike more of his music than I like, but I just happen to like 'October Rust' more than any other album I've ever heard, not to mention 'Bloody Kisses'. There will never be another Peter Steele, singing songs of lust and darkness. It's around this time of year that I always listen to the best Christmas song ever written, 'Red Water (Christmas Mourning)'.