I need help to my "anti-metal dad" problem

Oceraux

You're just a kid you can get away with it. At the end of the day he's your dad and he's concerned because of the negative stereotypes surrounding metal music. He doesn't want to hear your side of things which is unfortunate but parents seldom care for their childs opinions. Particularly when they are still finding their way in life such as you are.

I remember being really excited as a kid when my parents had Christian books about how bad today's pop culture was and they had chapters on metal, claiming all metal bands hid backward messages in their songs telling kids to kill themselves (AS IF they would want all their CD and ticket buying loyal fans to die!!) and they all did deals with the devil to get fame. I'm open minded about the occult and do think some bands may have been involved with it, Zeppelin for instance. But to say Sabbath in the 70s had some secret plan to make all kids depressed to open their minds to the devil. Why do so many upbeat tracks then. One book was written by a nutcase who thought there was a group called "Def Jam" who had made all the albums on the Def Jam label like Slayer etc.

Dude just do what you're doing. This isn't always the easiest path but we know for damn sure it can be the most rewarding. When I was a kid and I started the transition from KISS and Maiden to Slayer and Pantera my mom used to get all pissed off at my Slayer posters. By the time I found the 1st wave of Tampa Death Metal I knew better than to leave a Tomb Of The Mutilated cd around the house because she'd toss it. As time went on and I got into my late teens and even early 20's and was pursuing being in a band she saw that it wasn't a "phase" and it was actually my life and something very positive. With that I think I was like 19 and for Christmas she surprised me with a new Yamaha bass. Since then she was kind of like "I don't like all the imagery and I think the vocals are scary but if it makes you happy and keeps you out of trouble, I'll support it." I'm 36 years old now, still have a good relationship with my mother and had dinner with her the other night in my Slayer hoody. Stay the course, keep the faith! \m/

Maybe you could prove him wrong about metal with your character. My brother is gay and my parents used to be anti gay Christians, but he's so successful and friendly, and treats them much better and takes care of them more than any of us other siblings, that he has bought them round to deciding, it's ok to be because he is.

Re: My dad is an asshole

My son is an asshole for telling me to turn Obituary down so he could listen to One Direction' date=' It truly goes both ways ha![/quote'] Wow, your son listens to one direction? O_o the fuck? Well at least we know what direction the band goes in, hell your son must get so much shit for that xD

• 4 weeks later...

Well, while we're on the subject of parental relations: My mom has oddball preconceptions about metal, but at least she has a semi-legitimate concern; she typically complains about the generally negative emotion in metal songs. I've tried multiple times to convince her that I prefer them, it's a more balanced view of the world, but she seems to think the absence of positive emotion denotes a depressing view of reality. What exactly pumping this stuff through my brain is supposed to do, she's never made clear. She has expressed some liking for the more positive-sounding metal songs by Devin Townsend Project, Borealis and Amorphis. My dad really doesn't care but that's because he essentially never listens to lyrics and even when he does he rarely remembers them...the only way to twig him is to put on something oppressively abrasive like Blut Aus Nord or Drottnar. Anyhow, I have the same kind of situation as PitViper, my parents bought me my Squier Telecaster one Christmas and helped me get some lessons. My mom is still happy when she hears me trying to play (I've made a handful of very short simple riffs to which she responded positively), and she does like some of the lyrics I've written.

My folks bought me my first guitar as well. Glad I started learning how to play but damn I wish I'd gotten lessons with a better teacher to begin with. I have a similar experience to Iceni's in that the emotions metal evokes seem to be what causes the conflict (heated with my step-dad, in passing with mum).

My parents bought me my first electric when I was thirteen, and helped me get my first Gibson and my Taylor acoustic later on - two of my favorite guitars. And oddly, though they don't like metal at all, they left me alone to do what I wanted and didn't confiscate my Cannibal Corpse and Pantera... I owe them a lot.
My parents prevented me from buying a ZZ Top CD for Christmas because they didn't like the lyrics - fair enough, I wouldn't have either, I just liked the music. Ironically that was what got me into metal in the first place, because I had to figure out what to buy with the sixty-song emusic card they gave me! Since then, however, my parents have never made an effort to keep me from buying anything of my own accord - but I've restrained my buying choices not to irritate them. That's the reason I don't have a Nevermore or Dark Tranquillity shirt, they don't sell anything without skulls on them. :D

But skulls rule! Surely there's nothing wrong with a couple of skulls here and there. Skulls are the best. Actually I got into drawing skulls because of a medical textbook I liked when I was a kid. Still one of my favorite subjects.
I don't mind them but I suppose my mom thinks if I get too fond of them I'll start decapitating preppies. Not that I wouldn't do that regardless. I once did a Star Wars Sith Lord cybernetic helmet based on a skull drawing from a similar book.