Top Albums Of 2013.

MacabreEternal

I haven't begun to think about it yet, I still don't think I've even done one for last year. I know that Cultes De Ghoules will be taking the top spot for me with Henbane, but I'm not sure what the rest will look like. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Henbane? Really? Not a bad record but I was just underwhelmed by it. I was quick to dismiss it after one listen, is it what one would term a "grower"? A couple of albums the internet has bummed the backside out of that I won't be adding to my list - Sub Rosa (album title escapes me) and Beastmilk, jesus average and terrible respectively. One decidely going nowhere and the other pilfering Editors and the Smiths shamelessly and still sounding shit. Jeez!

Re: Albums of The Year List

Henbane? Really? Not a bad record but I was just underwhelmed by it. I was quick to dismiss it after one listen, is it what one would term a "grower"? A couple of albums the internet has bummed the backside out of that I won't be adding to my list - Sub Rosa (album title escapes me) and Beastmilk, jesus average and terrible respectively. One decidely going nowhere and the other pilfering Editors and the Smiths shamelessly and still sounding shit. Jeez!
I haven't heard a new black metal album like Henbane in years (outside of a few exceptions like Negative Plane). It reminds me of the old school ritualistic and creative side of black metal showcased by Mayhem (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas), Mystifier, Master's Hammer, Samael, Beherit, Mortuary Drape, etc..., all while being unique and creative. That is my favorite style of black metal though, so I don't expect everyone to love it, but the deranged vocal performance by Mark of the Devil on the album should be of note to anyone that's into unique and powerful vocals. It wasn't a grower for me, I fell in love with it right when I heard it, and its grip hasn't lessened on me through subsequent listens. Definitely give it another shot before you toss it aside. I haven't heard the new Subrosa (weird, as they also reside in SLC, but I've never met or seen any of them in person at shows or anything), but I know plenty of people like it. I'm sure that the latest albums from Antediluvian and Lantern will also be on my list, but I don't know if I have enough new releases to round out a top 10. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't heard much new stuff this year. What little I have heard I generally haven't liked. In fact I think there are only three new releases I like and 1 of those is a re-issue Avernus - Sadness EP Top grade Gothic/Doom/Death. Unfortunately it isn't a new release but a re-issue of an old EP. Still looking forward to hearing what they have to offer next. ORCummentary - Orcs 1 Goblins 0 This isn't what I'd call excellent but it's a lot of fun. Well written musically, nice use of keyboards, irreverant sense of humour in the lyrics. I also like what I've heard of the new Death Angel (odd since I don't like much of what the band has done).

I haven't heard a new black metal album like Henbane in years (outside of a few exceptions like Negative Plane). It reminds me of the old school ritualistic and creative side of black metal showcased by Mayhem (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas), Mystifier, Master's Hammer, Samael, Beherit, Mortuary Drape, etc..., all while being unique and creative. That is my favorite style of black metal though, so I don't expect everyone to love it, but the deranged vocal performance by Mark of the Devil on the album should be of note to anyone that's into unique and powerful vocals. It wasn't a grower for me, I fell in love with it right when I heard it, and its grip hasn't lessened on me through subsequent listens. Definitely give it another shot before you toss it aside. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
It has proved more palatable this time around I have to say. I am battling with whether or not the vocals are too deranged and bordering on a bit wacky at times but it's getting another chance at least.

Actually having spent the entire afternoon with "Henbane" and realising that I had missed the point altogether by dismissing it, I now have downloaded it from Bandcamp and have just played it in the dark to get it's full creepy effect. Blut is right it is much more than just a BM album, some of the riffs on there are huge and the creepy keys coupled with the ambient soundscapes are dense and thick with atmosphere. The vocals are perfect now I have come to terms with them - it just took a few listens but each time I found something I liked.

Re: Albums of The Year List

Actually having spent the entire afternoon with "Henbane" and realising that I had missed the point altogether by dismissing it' date=' I now have downloaded it from Bandcamp and have just played it in the dark to get it's full creepy effect. Blut is right it is much more than just a BM album, some of the riffs on there are huge and the creepy keys coupled with the ambient soundscapes are dense and thick with atmosphere. The vocals are perfect now I have come to terms with them - it just took a few listens but each time I found something I liked.[/quote'] I'm glad. The album wasn't a grower for me as I said, but I have a bunch of albums in that style, so it spoke to me right away. I could totally see why it would be a grower though, it is made up of many primitive parts, but constructed in such as way that it is much more than the sum of those parts. There is a darkness that doesn't so much lurk beneath the surface in that album, but rather bursts forth through the seams. It transports me to a place that only other albums like this and certain older horror movies can, delivering total macabre delight despite how campy it may seem on the surface. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Albums Of 2013. As it's the end of the year.... I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's favourite albums were from 2013. Doesn't have to be a specific number, between five to ten. Here are mine (and in no particular order): 1. Voices - 'From The Human Forest...' 2. Portal - 'Vexovoid' 3.Chelsea Wolfe - 'Pain Is Beauty' 4. Watain - 'The Wild Hunt' 5. Nine Inch Nails - 'Hesitation Marks' 6. Altar Of Plagues - 'Teethed Glory And Injury' 7. Cara Neir - 'Portals To A Dead, Better World' There may have been a few more, but I can't really remember now. There are a fair few I didn't get round to picking up yet.

As it's the end of the year.... I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's favourite albums were from 2013. Doesn't have to be a specific number, between five to ten. Here are mine (and in no particular order): 1. Voices - 'From The Human Forest...' 2. Portal - 'Vexovoid' 3.Chelsea Wolfe - 'Pain Is Beauty' 4. Watain - 'The Wild Hunt' 5. Nine Inch Nails - 'Hesitation Marks' 6. Altar Of Plagues - 'Teethed Glory And Injury' 7. Cara Neir - 'Portals To A Dead, Better World' There may have been a few more, but I can't really remember now. There are a fair few I didn't get round to picking up yet.
MacabreEternal just started a thread for this a few days ago that had some responses already, so I just merged the two. Hope you don't mind.

Checked out Hell "Curse & Chapter" today based on recommends from FB and forums. I thought it was alright - nothing new certainly and my attention was lost after 3 songs even though it is well put together. This just about leaves Grave Miasma's latest (which I have only heard bits of really) to check out then I should be able to put my end of year list together.

Re: Top Albums Of 2013.

Checked out Hell "Curse & Chapter" today based on recommends from FB and forums. I thought it was alright - nothing new certainly and my attention was lost after 3 songs even though it is well put together. This just about leaves Grave Miasma's latest (which I have only heard bits of really) to check out then I should be able to put my end of year list together.
There's always more to check out. On my other forum, most users are posting year end lists with their favorite albums that number 30-50 releases, and the year isn't even over yet. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Settled on a final 10 albums for this year but haven't got them sorted to a rank order yet. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius Antediluvian - Logos Carcass - Surgical Steel Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane Gorguts - Coloured Sands Grave Upheaval - No title Portal - Vexovoid Ulcerate - Vermis Vastum - Patricidal Lust Wormed - Exodromos

Settled on a final 10 albums for this year but haven't got them sorted to a rank order yet. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius Antediluvian - Logos Carcass - Surgical Steel Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane Gorguts - Coloured Sands Grave Upheaval - No title Portal - Vexovoid Ulcerate - Vermis Vastum - Patricidal Lust Wormed - Exodromos
Check out Lantern's Below if you haven't yet, my top death metal album of the year so far. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Check out Lantern's Below if you haven't yet, my top death metal album of the year so far. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Not feeling it if I am honest Blut. It's too clean for my liking, it isn't just Entombed worship as some have suggested but I just don't feel challenged by it. I am of an age now were I have heard most of what DM has to offer and 2013 has really caught me off guard with how stonking a year it's been for the genre. At least half of my end of year list I have never heard of until this year and I really was only giving past classics the odd spin on the DM front before. Lantern are solid enough in their delivery but nowadays I want to hear DM that makes me stop what I am doing and go "What the fuck is this?" and I have to spend the next 5 or 6 listens unraveling it to get any discernible map of what I am experiencing. I think with the exceptions of Carcass and Vastum (and Cultes who are BM) my list is representative of my mindset nowadays.

Not feeling it if I am honest Blut. It's too clean for my liking' date=' it isn't just Entombed worship as some have suggested but I just don't feel [i']challenged by it. I am of an age now were I have heard most of what DM has to offer and 2013 has really caught me off guard with how stonking a year it's been for the genre. At least half of my end of year list I have never heard of until this year and I really was only giving past classics the odd spin on the DM front before. Lantern are solid enough in their delivery but nowadays I want to hear DM that makes me stop what I am doing and go "What the fuck is this?" and I have to spend the next 5 or 6 listens unraveling it to get any discernible map of what I am experiencing. I think with the exceptions of Carcass and Vastum (and Cultes who are BM) my list is representative of my mindset nowadays.
They're certainly not a modern sounding band, but are much like Cultes Des Ghoules are for black metal. They sound old school, but they don't sound like any other band from the old school, as you said, they don't possess any resemblance to any of the Entombed, Incantation, or even Gorguts worship that has become so popular right now. They challenge me with their morbid use of melody, and with their clear, yet dark and unique riffing and vocal style. Nothing is rough or raw, but reveals little of itself on the surface, and is mysterious and subtle throughout. They're not using new techniques like many other bands on your list, but are rather using old techniques in an innovative way, and exist in that perfect balance of death metal that is at all times heavy, melodic, personal, dark, brutal, and foreboding, as death metal once was before feeling the need to fracture off and focus on only one of those characteristics. If modern is what you seek, they definitely won't provide it, but I couldn't see calling them dull or banal. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

They're certainly not a modern sounding band, but are much like Cultes Des Ghoules are for black metal. They sound old school, but they don't sound like any other band from the old school, as you said, they don't possess any resemblance to any of the Entombed, Incantation, or even Gorguts worship that has become so popular right now. They challenge me with their morbid use of melody, and with their clear, yet dark and unique riffing and vocal style. Nothing is rough or raw, but reveals little of itself on the surface, and is mysterious and subtle throughout. They're not using new techniques like many other bands on your list, but are rather using old techniques in an innovative way, and exist in that perfect balance of death metal that is at all times heavy, melodic, personal, dark, brutal, and foreboding, as death metal once was before feeling the need to fracture off and focus on only one of those characteristics. If modern is what you seek, they definitely won't provide it, but I couldn't see calling them dull or banal. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
This is why I like this forum. Posters here make articulate and honest posts - great post Blut.

This is why I like this forum. Posters here make articulate and honest posts - great post Blut.
I like to think that there is less pretense here than on most forums I've been on. Even on the forum that has provided me the best set of recommendations, there is a bit of an air of "must be this kvlt to enjoy". It's not bad at all, and most are open and honest about "guilty pleasures" and more popular albums, in addition to being an awesome group of guys (have met up with a few IRL), but this is the most honest forum I've been on. I think it has to do with having a good number of younger fans who were less experienced when they started here, combined with older, more knowledgeable posters who are sick of drama and image, but in any case I spend a lot of time here for the good company. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Best metal albums: Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn The Flight of Sleipnir - Saga Falkenbach - Asa Red Fang - Whales and Leeches Rotting Christ - Kata Ton Daymona Eaytoy Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance Caladan Brood - Echeos of Battle Carpe Noctem - In Terra Profugus Non-metal: Wardruna - Runaljod Yggdrasil Daemonia Nymphe - Psychostasia Disappoitments: New Carcass (total failer, I don't know what people see in it), Watain, Burzum, Amon Amarth (again...), Kvelertak (it's actually not bad, but surely not as good as the debut album. My expactations were higher). There is pretty big possibility that I missed something.