The Movie Thread

radio master666

I haven't seen it yet. My wife and I want to get a babysitter so we can catch it before it's out of the theaters. I enjoyed the first "new" one' date=' wasn't blown away by it but I wasn't insulted either, unlike some of my friends.[/quote'] I didn't see the first "new", but maybe I will, Into darkness was not bad. I am not a big SF fan (seen Star Wars for the first time just last Sunday), but my boyfriend is, so I play the good girlfriend and go to the movies with him. That's why I saw Into darkness in the first place, and I liked it. Maybe with time SF will grow on me :D

At least I'm not an anime fan' date=' anime fans are horrible people.[/quote'] I might end up being an otaku but it's very unlikely. I mean, there are only so many times I could make AMVs about implausible romantic couplings when I can only use about three or four songs (Animal I Have Become by Three Days Grace, When The Bodies Hit The Floor by Drowning Pool, Thanks For the Memories by Fall Out Boy and Headstrong by Trapt) While we're on the subject, I quite liked the Trigun Badlands Rumble movie. The villain had a great design and an interesting backstory, the plot was pretty solid as were the characters' motivations, and the message of the movie was pretty well-communicated and solid. It also had an attractive gun-toting red-haired woman as one of the protagonists, which certainly helped things.

I've always been a huge sci-fi fan' date=' can't help it. The first Star Trek movie was probably shot so nicely and expensively to try and put itself on a equal footing with Star Wars. What did you think of Star Wars (I assume you mean the first three films)?[/quote'] Th first three and the crappy three. And I started with the crappy ones, because I wanted to see the story chronologically. At first I wasn't impressed, the first crappy one was extremely boring and that love story where she basically falls in love with a kid and waits for him is just a no for me. But I liked the original three much more. Especially the ending. I will never be a fan but I can't say I don't like it. It will be interesting to see what will Episode 7 bring :P

Θα ήθελα να καταλήξει να είναι μια otaku' date=' αλλά είναι πολύ απίθανο. Θέλω να πω, υπάρχουν μόνο τόσες πολλές φορές θα μπορούσα να κάνω AMVs σχετικά απίθανο ρομαντική σύνδεσμοι, όταν μπορώ να χρησιμοποιήσω μόνο περίπου τρία ή τέσσερα τραγούδια (Animal Έχω γίνει από τρεις μέρες Γκρέις, όταν τα σώματα Hit The Floor από Drowning Pool, Ευχαριστώ για το μνήμες από Fall Out Boy και πεισματάρες από Trapt).[/quote'] There, that makes more sense to me now. :D

There' date=' that makes more sense to me now. :D[/quote'] Don't tell me I'm using jargon you don't understand, that's just bloody impossible. I'll put in my two cents on Star Wars: I like it but people need to quit pretending that it's somehow anything more than a fun series with an awesome universe tailor-made for videogames. I agree the prequels are poorly acted (with the exception of Temuera Morrison), but they are canon no matter what these so-called Star Wars fans say. People who only like the first two movies and know nothing about the Expanded Universe are not Star Wars fans by any definition; they are film critics who like part of a film franchise. They know next to nothing about the Star Wars universe. I was a huge Star Wars fan in high school but I'm less fond of it now, mainly because the philosophy and storytelling just drove me nuts.

I'll put in my two cents on Star Wars: I like it but people need to quit pretending that it's somehow anything more than a fun series with an awesome universe tailor-made for videogames.
You could say similar things about Transformers or Star Trek or any other fictional universe that seems to inspire practical philosophy amongst its nerds. As far as Star Wars, I never got deep into it although I read quite a few of the books when I was a teenager. The more blatant the profit motive became, and the more shallow and flashy the storytelling got, the less I cared. They're kid's movies and should be watched as such. The characterization in the newer movies was dreadful.

Don't tell me I'm using jargon you don't understand, that's just bloody impossible. I'll put in my two cents on Star Wars: I like it but people need to quit pretending that it's somehow anything more than a fun series with an awesome universe tailor-made for videogames. I agree the prequels are poorly acted (with the exception of Temura Morrison), but they are canon no matter what these so-called Star Wars fans say. People who only like the first two movies and know nothing about the Expanded Universe are not Star Wars fans by any definition; they are film critics who like part of a film franchise. They know next to nothing about the Star Wars universe. I was a huge Star Wars fan in high school but I'm less fond of it now, mainly because the philosophy and storytelling just drove me nuts.
Did you read the books?

Did you read the books?
Yes. I read the entire Thrawn trilogy and a handful of other books including 'Star by Star', which was a nice book on the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. I also read a lot of the comics, specifically those about Nym, some in the Clone Wars, and a lot of the Old Republic storylines as well.
You could say similar things about Transformers or Star Trek or any other fictional universe that seems to inspire practical philosophy amongst its nerds.
To its credit Star Trek at least tries. It would still bore me with its non-awesome costume design and lack of violence but at least it does address some interesting issues. On the other hand, Transformers...it's hard for me to conceive how Michael Bay somehow managed to butcher such a simple story. He ruined it with what was always the most annoying part of the shows: the humans. All he needed to do was have a bunch of quirky robot dudes blow crap up over something important and yet somehow he couldn't even do that. Still, I think two of the worst offenders have got to be X-Men and Batman. They are both pretty one-note (X-Men: Don't be a hater. Batman: Don't kill people) at least from what I've seen, and yet people never fail to find them incredibly meaningful.

I love sharlto copley's acting especially in District 9.
Boy, there's a movie everyone raved about that kind of sucked. They had an interesting concept with the whole 'coping with an alien invader' thing and then ruined it by making the whole thing a cumbersome analogy for apartheid. At least the alien weapons were awesome.

I thought District 9 was really good. I loved the entire concept, the area in was set in, the soundtrack, the acting was awesome. The fact that it wasn't completely a hollywood film and used acters that were just starting out at the time makes it so much better. I ended up giving district 9 a 9/10 on IMDB.

I thought District 9 was really good. I loved the entire concept' date=' the area in was set in, the soundtrack, the acting was awesome. The fact that it wasn't completely a hollywood film and used acters that were just starting out at the time makes it so much better. I ended up giving district 9 a 9/10 on IMDB.[/quote'] But the plot was terrible and the whole message (and there was a message) was hardly breaking new ground. It seems to me that it let down its own concept. They could have done a lot more with it, I think.

Re: The Movie Thread

You might try Dark City' date=' that's the last one I remember really liking.[/quote'] I didn't like Dark City, I have no idea what everyone raves about with that one. Kiefer Southerland was annoying as has, Rufus Sewell never seems to put any feeling into what he's doing, and the story was underwhelming. I'll stick with my scifi classics like Alien and Blade Runner. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't like Dark City' date=' I have no idea what everyone raves about with that one. Kiefer Southerland was annoying as has, Rufus Sewell never seems to put any feeling into what he's doing, and the story was underwhelming. I'll stick with my scifi classics like Alien and Blade Runner.[/quote'] It suggested the intangibility of the soul and that efforts to find it by studying the body asymptotically approach full comprehension but never quite get there. The method that the enemy used to try to understand humanity was useful but fundamentally flawed as the soul is not connected to material phenomena. Perhaps an underwhelming lesson ('the heart can't be comprehended'), but told in what I thought was a compelling fashion. People keep raving to me about the philosophy of Blade Runner so maybe I had better see it sometime. I always assumed it was just a particularly well-done sci-fi movie but apparently there's more to it.

Re: The Movie Thread

It suggested the intangibility of the soul and that efforts to find it by studying the body asymptotically approach full comprehension but never quite get there. The method that the enemy used to try to understand humanity was useful but fundamentally flawed as the soul is not connected to material phenomena. Perhaps an underwhelming lesson ('the heart can't be comprehended'), but told in what I thought was a compelling fashion. People keep raving to me about the philosophy of Blade Runner so maybe I had better see it sometime. I always assumed it was just a particularly well-done sci-fi movie but apparently there's more to it.
It's definitely a scifi classic, well written, a good story, and the atmosphere is outstanding. The score by Vangelis is among the best movie scores ever, coupled with the way it was shot, you really get quite the experience. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...