What Are You Listening To?

khaos

That one is a contender for my favorite black metal album. But you do have to be in the right mood. It's all about that cold atmosphere. Blaze In The Nothern Sky is more angular and has more of a DM/thrash quality to it' date=' and Under A Funeral Moon might have a slightly more vicious feel. But if it's Marduk you're looking for, just, you know, listen to Marduk. I've never particularly liked them myself.[/quote'] Like I said, I went in really wanting straight to-the-point super-aggressive black metal, so it's not surprising it failed to hit the spot, really. I've recently found an enjoyment for Wolves In The Throne Room's more atmospheric approach as well, but the Darkthrone album didn't seem to fit into either category. I did enjoy the sound; I just wish the mix were a bit clearer. I will give them another listen when I'm in a slightly less specific mood, though.

Re: What Are You Listening To?

That one is a contender for my favorite black metal album. But you do have to be in the right mood. It's all about that cold atmosphere. Blaze In The Nothern Sky is more angular and has more of a DM/thrash quality to it' date=' and Under A Funeral Moon might have a slightly more vicious feel. But if it's Marduk you're looking for, just, you know, listen to Marduk. I've never particularly liked them myself.[/quote'] I've always found it overrated. I still like it, but I prefer each of Darkthrone's other albums in their early Peaceville canon. Soulside Journey is original, almost progressive, and haunting death metal with amazing atmosphere, A Blaze In the Northern Sky is a spontaneous black metal riff onslaught and Under a Funeral Moon is just raw as shit and menacing. Even the shameless Celtic Frost worship of Panzerfaust beats out Transylvanian Hunger's monotonous strumming. There are some good melodies to be found, but the only songs that stick with me after listening are the opener and Skald Av Satans Sol, which at least brought a bit more aggression to the fore. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I think the urge to listen to new things is healthy. I agree that it's better to at least give music a chance so you're not talking out of your ass' date=' but if you're only looking for the ability to cogently explain why you [i']don't like it, well, then that's probably exactly what you'll find. And it's not a particularly open-minded approach to being open-minded, if you take my meaning.
If you've already heard a few tracks from the album (which you will have to have done to decide you don't like the band in the 1st place), isn't it impossible to go into the listening of the album without expecting not to like it? Surely it's very hard to be this open-minded if you're checking out the new Nickelback or Linkin Park album?

I've always found it overrated. I still like it, but I prefer each of Darkthrone's other albums in their early Peaceville canon. Soulside Journey is original, almost progressive, and haunting death metal with amazing atmosphere, A Blaze In the Northern Sky is a spontaneous black metal riff onslaught and Under a Funeral Moon is just raw as shit and menacing. Even the shameless Celtic Frost worship of Panzerfaust beats out Transylvanian Hunger's monotonous strumming. There are some good melodies to be found, but the only songs that stick with me after listening are the opener and Skald Av Satans Sol, which at least brought a bit more aggression to the fore. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I definitely found Marduk far more exciting to listen to but, again, could be down to the mood I was in. It's not that often I get in the mood for pure unadulterated black metal, but when I do, there's nothing quite like it.

Honestly, Soulside Journey always bored me. I wonder if JBaker might get more out of Hate Them or Sardonic Wrath... Transilvanian Hunger is the closest I get to liking the "hypnotically repetitive" side of BM, and its atmosphere defined what black metal was for me for a long time. It's one of the first metal albums that I appreciated more for what it suggested than for what it resolved, if that makes sense; I heard things on top of it that weren't actually in the music. In that sense I found it inspirational. I prefer listening to riffier music, but for me it provided a memorable and valuable experience. Plus I got to blast it out of my apartment door while standing outside in the snow, as a teenager. :D

Fuck yeah! And that CD kicked ass! And I can't believe my parents didn't mind a three year old listening to a song like "Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills". :oops: I love that song.
That one and the Planet Caravan cover, I usually skip when I listen to FBD, which is one of my favorite metal albums period. It sounds like what it is - they were drunk and messing around in the studio. But there are so many good riffs and awesome vocals on that album that I can overlook it.

Cool parents! At least one of them is a metal fan' date=' too, I take it? Hard to imagine a 3-year-old requesting Pantera. :D[/quote'] Yep! My parents aren't metalheads like I am, but they're kinda fans. My parents don't mind what I listen to, but their only problem is how loud it is and when I'm listening to it. Like if I'm listening to 1349 on maximum volume while my parents are trying to talk to me, they're gonna snap at me. But other than that, they're cool about it.

Honestly, Soulside Journey always bored me. I wonder if JBaker might get more out of Hate Them or Sardonic Wrath... Transilvanian Hunger is the closest I get to liking the "hypnotically repetitive" side of BM, and its atmosphere defined what black metal was for me for a long time. It's one of the first metal albums that I appreciated more for what it suggested than for what it resolved, if that makes sense; I heard things on top of it that weren't actually in the music. In that sense I found it inspirational. I prefer listening to riffier music, but for me it provided a memorable and valuable experience. Plus I got to blast it out of my apartment door while standing outside in the snow, as a teenager. :D
Well, I do tend to favour riffier music, especially when it comes to metal. Playing Eyehategod's 'Take As Needed For Pain' right now, as a matter of fact! :D But, I'm still open to less riffy stuff and if it's hypnotic, I'm pretty sure I will dig it. I think it was the disappointment of it not sounding like what I was expecting or hoping at that particular moment. Will probably give it another listen tomorrow. I can handle WITTR, and that's hardly riffy or aggressive at all, so I should be more than fine with this.

Like if I'm listening to 1349 on maximum volume while my parents are trying to talk to me, they're gonna snap at me.
Well, that'd be the case, whatever you were listening to! That's cool, anyway. I live with my mum and my musical tastes have always been accepted and even encouraged. I think she's literally said before: 'metal is the most appropriate thing someone of your age and gender should be listening to', so I'm pretty damn lucky, really! :)

Well' date=' that'd be the case, whatever you were listening to! That's cool, anyway. I live with my mum and my musical tastes have always been accepted and even encouraged. I think she's literally said before: 'metal is the most appropriate thing someone of your age and gender should be listening to', so I'm pretty damn lucky, really! :)[/quote'] Parents who appreciate metal are the best parents. They don't have to like it, just appreciate it! :D

I think it was the disappointment of it not sounding like what I was expecting or hoping at that particular moment.
That hit me when listening to Gorguts' 'From Wisdom To Hate'. I've not liked the album on any subsequent listens either. Their style just puts me off, I kept hoping for more jazzy insanity like Obscura.

That one and the Planet Caravan cover' date=' I usually skip when I listen to FBD, which is one of my favorite metal albums period. It sounds like what it is - they were drunk and messing around in the studio. But there are so many good riffs and awesome vocals on that album that I can overlook it.[/quote'] You skip through tracks when you're listening to an album?! :o Not cool, man. Not cool. And that Planet Caravan cover is fucking awesome!

That hit me when listening to Gorguts' 'From Wisdom To Hate'. I've not liked the album on any subsequent listens either. Their style just puts me off' date=' I kept hoping for more jazzy insanity like Obscura.[/quote'] Need to listen to those guys as well. I've heard good things. My 'bands to check out' list is just fucking huge! If I get round to half the bands in this list, it'd be a miracle.