What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Listening through the 'Anthropocene' album by Being.

Some of this has been good, some of it has been kinda maddeningly forgettable and 'Story For a Muse' was a sincere if repulsively saccharine piece of work. At least this vocalist is good - nice! Step one, get a vocalist who doesn't sound like a 13-year-old on PCP - step two: try to make the electric guitar, the world's coolest instrument, not sound like the most boring thing ever to produce oscillating pressure! More on this as it develops - or stagnates, as the case may be.

Edited by Iceni

Well, Being turned out to be about as ineffectual and forgettable as their name would suggest they would be. Thank you mods for moving my post!

Thus - 'Misguided' by Distorted Harmony. This is nowhere near as clever as these guys think it is, but I still enjoy it.

Edited by Iceni

'Defenders of the Small Yard' by Moron Police.

The vocals and occasional punk elements are not my favorite (not as endemic or painful as with Freak Kitchen though), but I do love me some goofy, eclectic metal with technical chops - so here we are.

Edited by Iceni

'Utopia' by Distorted Harmony.

This album has been good. Their second's nice as well. Thank God some bands are just trying to do solid, honest-to-goodness early-2000's school prog instead of trying to catch the 80's quicksilver of Queensryche or jumping on the shoegaze or djent or 'melodic prog' let's-imitate-DTP-and-fail-miserably bandwagons.

Edited by Iceni

'Soul Train of the Damned' by Moron Police.

This is the most Louisianan-sounding metal song I've ever heard, which is funny as this band are Norwegian. The bluegrass fiddle, swing rhythm and cabaret bombast bring this whole thing together and it's my favorite from what turned out to be a delightful album.

'Soul Train of the Damned' by Moron Police.

This is the most Louisianan-sounding metal song I've ever heard, which is funny as this band are Norwegian. The bluegrass fiddle, swing rhythm and cabaret bombast bring this whole thing together and it's my favorite from what turned out to be a delightful album.

"YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I would die for my countreyah I luv Amurca"  :D

Don't know why but I wouldn't have thought that would be your go Midi...the things you learn hey?

The first time I heard Mercyful Fate, I couldn't stand the music (especially the vocals). I guess it's time to revisit King's material.

NP: Coltsblood - Ulfheonar 

Normal service resumed hey?

Anywho I'm listening to the creepy piano buildup that tells you something is about to happen in Carpenter's Halloween

I always found Halloween one of the most unappealing Carpenter films out there. Then again  I'm not a slasher film fan. Is the soundtrack worth listening to separately?

"YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I would die for my countreyah I luv Amurca"  :D

Well, it's Louisiana, so "OUUAAAIIIIS Je mourrais pour mon pays j'adore l'Amerique"

Fun fact, Google translates "I love America" as "I love amerique". :roll: Come on, guys, I realize it's hard to conjugate verbs more complex than passe composee and futur proche, and make the gender of the nouns and possessives match up, but this this just deplorable...

Edited by Iceni

Il est beau, le chauvinisme, n'est-ce pas? :D

NP: Unholy - From the Shadows

Ouais, la patriotisme est un chose de beaute...

'The Dragon Reborn' by Noble Beast. Power metal is really nice for all this hot weather.

Edited by Iceni

Finished up Above The Earth's s/t. This album was hyped too much, I think, but the comparisons to DTP aren't remiss.

Now trying out 'Weaponized' by Intervoid. This is a weird one, the sound production sounds kinda close and muted, a little like when Carnival in Coal try sounding old-school. It's wonderfully menacing at times. On the other hand this is unmistakably 'modern metal' - the production is still quite clean, the riffs are generally stuttering and monotonous and the vocals are forgettable growls. There are glimpses of electronic stuff that coulda made this more interesting. People have made comparisons to Fear Factory and I definitely hear that - but these guys could easily go in a techy direction and turn into an industrial version of Ketha (which would be awesome). I dunno, I was quite prepared to dismiss this but I'll probably do a full listen.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies