What Are You Listening To?

khaos

I am listening to the loud manly grunting of the brickheads outside my window playing football in the snow. Or maybe they're having an orgy. It's difficult to tell.

There has to be some worth in their work if it's been cited as inspiration by so many artists.
If fallacies of ambiguity weren't a logical problem then I'd agree.
I lke Manson even more!
Sacrebleu. At this rate we'll hit Hollywood Undead in no time.

I fucking love the Undead! :D Haha' date=' no. Even my shitty taste has its limits. ;) I do honestly like Manson more than NIN though, even though I think NIN is the better artist.[/quote'] I couldn't pick between the two. If I had to choose one bad industrial band that I think has at least some talent I'd probably go with Mnemic.

Never got into KMFDM. A lot of my friends seemed to love them. My favorite industrial album is probably Skinny Puppy's "Too Dark Park", followed closely by Ministry's "Land Of Rape And Honey", but I don't know that any of that would be to Iceni's taste. Die Form and Will had some cool tracks, as well, and for goth-industrial I've always enjoyed Deine Lakaien. To be honest, none of these guys are consistently good songwriters - it always seemed a plague of the industrial genre, that they'd concentrate on sounds, and never learn how to put a compelling song together, and the ones who did concentrate on songcraft often wound up leaching the interest out of their soundscapes and turning into shitty pop. Easy to draw parallels with metal in that regard.

I've heard them, they never did much of anything for me. I wanted to like them but overall they just came off like Neuraxis' latest work - generally bland and passable.
Technically they are very solid. But yes, it sounds like well-done, bog-standard, gothenburg melo-death. It's not standing out to me.

In other words' date=' everything that's been wrong with metal for the past decade plus.[/quote'] Well, I don't know if that encompasses everything but it is a massive malaise in death metal in particular. I'm listening to a relatively talented band that kind of screwed up the metal scene for the last two or three years with their relatively innovative take on melodeath which nonetheless brought on a lot of annoying crap: Periphery. It's 'Icarus Lives'; instrumental, which is the only way I can stand them in the first place. Even now I do still notice stuff I don't like too much; the riffs sometimes fall over themselves to be technical and kind of ruin the song instead of being varied in the wonderful, psychotic Unexpect fashion. This song seems to a more well-constructed, 'pithy' effort.

I'm listening to a relatively talented band that kind of screwed up the metal scene for the last two or three years with their relatively innovative take on melodeath which nonetheless brought on a lot of annoying crap: Periphery.
They're one of those bands that I respect, but just don't enjoy. I can't get behind the argument that it's worth criticizing a band for other bad bands that they've inspired, but it's hard to ignore how awful a lot of that "prog/djent" shit is. A good friend of mine is massively into Periphery, and I attended a show with him, and didn't see anything to get me going. I'm sure their young fans will excuse me if I refrain from shitting all over myself about how wonderful they are.

They're one of those bands that I respect' date=' but just don't enjoy. I can't get behind the argument that it's worth criticizing a band for other bad bands that they've inspired, but it's hard to ignore how awful a lot of that "prog/djent" shit is. A good friend of mine is massively into Periphery, and I attended a show with him, and didn't see anything to get me going. I'm sure their young fans will excuse me if I refrain from shitting all over myself about how wonderful they are.[/quote'] I'm not criticizing them for that, but I am criticizing them for falling short in their formula. If they'd bumped up the atmosphere, changed the riffs to something more memorable and didn't have such an utterly awful vocalist then they could be really good. The only band I think does the djent formula well is the French group Outcast.

I haven't heard Outcast. I'll listen to them... but no matter how I love Meshuggah, I seem to hate every band I've heard that displays overt Meshuggah influence. Ok. Listening to Outcast - Abysmal. Some really good riffs, not a fan of the ultra-modern-heavy production. The vocals sound fake - it's like the guy has a bunch of different "voices" that he can "do" but hasn't got his own voice yet. Ergh, and the "remember that cool part from that one Meshuggah song" sections are NOT helping. Nope, this isn't for me. Is there something of theirs you'd recommend that's any different from this?

Ok. Listening to Outcast - Abysmal. Some really good riffs, not a fan of the ultra-modern-heavy production. The vocals sound fake - it's like the guy has a bunch of different "voices" that he can "do" but hasn't got his own voice yet. Ergh, and the "remember that cool part from that one Meshuggah song" sections are NOT helping. Nope, this isn't for me. Is there something of theirs you'd recommend that's any different from this?
OK, so first things first you've got the wrong album. Awaken The Reason is OK in my opinion but not their strongest. I can definitely understand the criticisms you're leveling, because that album is their latest and probably their most 'modern'. Their second album Self-Injected Reality is better overall. I thought the riffs were more memorable and the vocals aren't quite as...well, again, modern. Also, I completely forgot another band that uses the djent style much, much better than some other groups: the death metal group Benevolent from Kuwait. qpmNkc1GUd4 Again, I won't guarantee you'll like this - but it's a hell of lot better than the other djent I've heard.