Music that shivers me timbers

JonoBlade

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves which run together on the album with no real pause in between, have always been my favorite track(s) on what I consider to be the best metal album of the 80's. And it doesn't even need a go faster button.

Sacrilege really to stop and reflect in between songs on that album which is like a metal symphony with perfect flow, and needs to be played straight through front to back without interruption. But I guess once you own the record you're free to play it any way you want.

Oh yeah man I always listen to the whole album anyway, I only separated out AoS because it fit the story I was telling.  You may think I am a tit, but I generally don't pick individual songs out to listen to, if I am in the mood I will just put the whole album on and savour the songs I am in the mood to rock out to at the time.  

You think RIB is the best metal album of the 80s?  Fuuuuck man I am right there with you.  If you read my long ass post you will know it is the first metal album I listened to, so perhaps my bias is showing, but every fucking second of that album is gold to me.  Whatever mood I am in, playing that album has absolutely never, ever failed to improve my feelgood factor.  

I probably listen to it way too much, but it just ticks every box for me.

EDIT - And just to clarify, the stopping between songs was a totally one-off thing.  It was my first foray into metal and I listened to the whole album without stopping the first time.  I only stopped between songs after that to kind of draw breath and reflect on a genre I had zero experience of prior to that day.  From that point to this, I always listen to a whole album non-stop, even if I decide I am not a fan after the first song.  I'm always prepared to give something a fair shot, bear in mind I was very young at the time and metal was like a fucking crazy thing I had never heard of until then.

there is so much music out there. I dig the absolute hell out of, but very few songs I can honestly say give me chills every time I hear them. Yes, it is high time I run through the shortlist…

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath

allow me to set the scene, it’s 2002, I’m 12 years old living on a musical diet of boy bands and whatever the hell else gets played on the radio. We swing by my godparents place, and my older cousin starts talking music, I say something to the effect of, I don’t get how anyone can actually be interested in music it’s just so boring… Five minutes later in what can only be described as his dad‘s man cave, he commandeers the stereo, hooked up with way too many speakers, And simply says this will change your mind..and simply says this will change your mind. The opening riff kicks in, and to this day I get goosebumps whenever I hear it.There is so much music out there. I dig the absolute hell out of, but very few songs I can honestly say give me chills every time I hear them. Yes, it is high time I run through the shortlist…

22 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

there is so much music out there. I dig the absolute hell out of, but very few songs I can honestly say give me chills every time I hear them. Yes, it is high time I run through the shortlist…

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath

allow me to set the scene, it’s 2002, I’m 12 years old living on a musical diet of boy bands and whatever the hell else gets played on the radio. We swing by my godparents place, and my older cousin starts talking music, I say something to the effect of, I don’t get how anyone can actually be interested in music it’s just so boring… Five minutes later in what can only be described as his dad‘s man cave, he commandeers the stereo, hooked up with way too many speakers, And simply says this will change your mind..and simply says this will change your mind. The opening riff kicks in, and to this day I get goosebumps whenever I hear it.There is so much music out there. I dig the absolute hell out of, but very few songs I can honestly say give me chills every time I hear them. Yes, it is high time I run through the shortlist…

I love this, brother.  It's exactly the same as the situation I described above with my Uncle.  I was like, what's all the fuss over this music shite?  It's hardly interesting.  Then DOOF! like a brick to the face you are hit with something that changes your life forever.  

Great times, man.  I wish I could go back and relive that moment when I heard those guitars and those screaming vocals and thought to myself, fuck, fuck, fuck yeah, THIS is my party!

1 hour ago, thrashinbiker said:

Oh yeah man I always listen to the whole album anyway, I only separated out AoS because it fit the story I was telling.  You may think I am a tit, but I generally don't pick individual songs out to listen to, if I am in the mood I will just put the whole album on and savour the songs I am in the mood to rock out to at the time.  

You think RIB is the best metal album of the 80s?  Fuuuuck man I am right there with you.  If you read my long ass post you will know it is the first metal album I listened to, so perhaps my bias is showing, but every fucking second of that album is gold to me.  Whatever mood I am in, playing that album has absolutely never, ever failed to improve my feelgood factor.  

I probably listen to it way too much, but it just ticks every box for me.

EDIT - And just to clarify, the stopping between songs was a totally one-off thing.  It was my first foray into metal and I listened to the whole album without stopping the first time.  I only stopped between songs after that to kind of draw breath and reflect on a genre I had zero experience of prior to that day.  From that point to this, I always listen to a whole album non-stop, even if I decide I am not a fan after the first song.  I'm always prepared to give something a fair shot, bear in mind I was very young at the time and metal was like a fucking crazy thing I had never heard of until then.

I guess it's my turn to do some clarifying. Don't take the shit I say too literally. More often than not I'm low key trying to be funny, it just doesn't always work out. If I could be consistently funny then maybe I could get paid the big bucks like Jimmy Carr. (Jimmy's just the first Brit comic who sprang to mind, I don't actually know if he gets paid the big bucks or not. John Cleese was the 2nd, but he's not strictly stand-up and he's probably before your time. Russell Brand was the next, but he's a bit controversial these days so I'll leave him out of this. Maybe I should have gone with Ricky Gervais? Tbh I'd really rather go with Billy Connolly who in his day was funnier than all the rest of them put together, but of course he's a Scot)

You are of course free to stop between the songs, before the songs, after the songs, during the songs, underneath the songs, right next to the songs or anywhere else you might feel like stopping. I was just attempting to point out that I have always considered Altar of Sacrifice and Jesus Saves together to be all one track. Just like I consider Post Mortem and Raining Blood to be all one track. Or Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid are all one track. Or Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go are all one track.

I'm a bit older than you so Reign in Blood definitely wasn't the first metal album I ever heard, not even the first Slayer album. I predate metal actually, I literally had to wait for them to invent metal somewhere in the neighborhood of '79/'80, right around the time I was graduating from school and heading off to University. Or I guess it was also right around the time you were being born, depending on how you wanna look at it.

There's really not a whole lot I still go back and listen to from the 70's and 80's these days, as I'm drawn more to the extreme sub-genres of metal from the last 25 or 30 years. But most of my listening time is devoted to stuff from the last decade or so.  Reign in Blood is on the short list though, as older albums go it's right up there with the best of them, probably still spin it 2 or 3 times a year at least.

One last unrelated question before I forget, just how quiet is your Suzuki? You keep saying you love to jam out to your tunes whilst straddling the bike, and I'm wondering how the fuck can you hear the music over the sound of the engine? Unless maybe you have one of those Bluetooth helmets?  I am a Yank from the states though so I guess I'm used to most people I know riding Harleys and their extremely loud pipes that wake all the neighbors at 3am. Not throwing shade though, I'm not a biker so I'm not a snob about motorcycles the way I'm a snob about metal. I don't give a flying fuck about Harley Davidson. I will say the Bandit 1200 is a rather interesting looking machine. A sport bike and a muscle bike rolled into one. I'm not completely in love with the way the tail end of the seat sticks up in the air way out over the back tire. Guess that just means it's got good suspension and you don't feel all the bumps. What color is yours, black? Or Reign in Blood Red?

If I were looking to get on a bike in my old age I'd be looking at maybe an Indian Scout bobber or a Triumph Bonneville bobber. The Harley (Sportster) 48 looks just as good (or maybe the 883) but I'd be wanting to give the proverbial finger to all the Harley ride or die snobs. I think the Indian looks better (that streamlined tank) but the Triumph has more features. I'd definitely spring for the ape-hanger handlebars that should really come as standard equipment. Triumph's floating seat doesn't look as cool as the Indian seat, but it's probably more comfortable. Now the Chief bobber looks even better than the Scout, but you've gotta start somewhere. I'm not ready for a 700 pound bike. 

1998 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1200 - Big, Beefy, Ugly and Fun

The Triumph Bobber | Even More Special Than I Imagined!

So You Want an Indian Scout Bobber...

I guess it's my turn to do some clarifying. Don't take the shit I say too literally. More often than not I'm low key trying to be funny, it just doesn't always work out. If I could be consistently funny then maybe I could get paid the big bucks like Jimmy Carr. (Jimmy's just the first Brit comic who sprang to mind, I don't actually know if he gets paid the big bucks or not. John Cleese was the 2nd, but he's not strictly stand-up and he's probably before your time. Russell Brand was the next, but he's a bit controversial these days so I'll leave him out of this. Maybe I should have gone with Ricky Gervais? Tbh I'd really rather go with Billy Connolly who in his day was funnier than all the rest of them put together, but of course he's a Scot)

You are of course free to stop between the songs, before the songs, after the songs, during the songs, underneath the songs, right next to the songs or anywhere else you might feel like stopping. I was just attempting to point out that I have always considered Altar of Sacrifice and Jesus Saves together to be all one track. Just like I consider Post Mortem and Raining Blood to be all one track. Or Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid are all one track. Or Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go are all one track.

I'm a bit older than you so Reign in Blood definitely wasn't the first metal album I ever heard, not even the first Slayer album. I predate metal actually, I literally had to wait for them to invent metal somewhere in the neighborhood of '79/'80, right around the time I was graduating from school and heading off to University. Or I guess it was also right around the time you were being born, depending on how you wanna look at it.

There's really not a whole lot I still go back and listen to from the 70's and 80's these days, as I'm drawn more to the extreme sub-genres of metal from the last 25 or 30 years. But most of my listening time is devoted to stuff from the last decade or so.  Reign in Blood is on the short list though, as older albums go it's right up there with the best of them, probably still spin it 2 or 3 times a year at least.

One last unrelated question before I forget, just how quiet is your Suzuki? You keep saying you love to jam out to your tunes whilst straddling the bike, and I'm wondering how the fuck can you hear the music over the sound of the engine? Unless maybe you have one of those Bluetooth helmets?  I am a Yank from the states though so I guess I'm used to most people I know riding Harleys and their extremely loud pipes that wake all the neighbors at 3am. Not throwing shade though, I'm not a biker so I'm not a snob about motorcycles the way I'm a snob about metal. I don't give a flying fuck about Harley Davidson. I will say the Bandit 1200 is a rather interesting looking machine. A sport bike and a muscle bike rolled into one. I'm not completely in love with the way the tail end of the seat sticks up in the air way out over the back tire. Guess that just means it's got good suspension and you don't feel all the bumps. What color is yours, black? Or Reign in Blood Red?

If I were looking to get on a bike in my old age I'd be looking at maybe an Indian Scout bobber or a Triumph Bonneville bobber. The Harley (Sportster) 48 looks just as good (or maybe the 883) but I'd be wanting to give the proverbial finger to all the Harley ride or die snobs. I think the Indian looks better (that streamlined tank) but the Triumph has more features. I'd definitely spring for the ape-hanger handlebars that should really come as standard equipment. Triumph's floating seat doesn't look as cool as the Indian seat, but it's probably more comfortable. Now the Chief bobber looks even better than the Scout, but you've gotta start somewhere. I'm not ready for a 700 pound bike.

GG, honestly man I didn't take offence or anything, I just have one of those brains where if someone questions/asks something, I feel the need to clarify, lest I be misunderstood.  But I can assure you it's never in a confrontational/argumentative way.  I try to be funny and fail sometimes, too, so I know what you're getting at.

I guess my taste in music would be seen by some as pretty narrow, as I do tend to stick to what I know and love.  That's not to say I'm not open to trying new stuff, I have listened to various different artists as posted by members here over the past week than I have in years.  But admittedly, my knowledge of all the genres/sub genres/extreme genres is limited, to say the least.  If I like something then I like it (apologies for the tautological statement), and it goes on my playlist.  

The bandit is loud, but certainly not on a par with a Harley, or Intruder, for example.  And yeah, I have a bluetooth headset which is surprisingly good and gives clear sound.  It's also voice activated so you can make and receive calls, too, not that I make or take calls while riding, you need your wits about you, plus, I like to just focus on me, the bike and the road ahead.  

The suspension on the bandit is good, it irons out those little lumps and bumps (British roads are horrendous) though it will bounce a little at higher speeds, you never feel like the bike is controlling you rather than you controlling the bike. It's also very forgiving if you are a bit careless with clutch control or muddy up a gear a change.  Yeah, it's ugly as sin but so is its (current) rider, so it still gets a huge thumbs up from me.  Also, the friend who owns it is only a little shorter than me (he's 6'4"), so he has adjusted the pegs for comfort and it suits me great.  Oh, and it's black, to answer question about the colour, though I think RIB red is a good idea!

The great thing about the Bandit is that even at low speeds, it still feels like you are riding at speed and if you are going round the twon/residentail areas, you can easily do 20 to 30 mph (even 40 if you so desired) without needing to shift up to second - the engine offers up none of the protestations that many other bikes do.  

As I mentioned in a previous comment, I suffer with horrendous back pain (sciatica), so it curtailed my riding for a while, but I missed it so much that I am out and about again.  Fortunately, despite some pain, I'm not doing too bad at the moment and I plan to save for a bike over the course of the next 12-18 months.  As yet undecided on what bike, though I really wouldn't mind a Bandit myself, as it's a fun bike for sure.  

And yeah, as in the metal world so too does snobbery exist in the biking one.  Particularly with Harleys, though there's also the sports vs. cruiser vs. moto etc.  Again, I don't subscribe to that (too old, maybe?) if you ride then that's cool, if you don't, then that's cool too, it's not for everyone.  

The Triumph Bobber is a gorgeous bike and I love Freddie's enthusiasm when he parks up and starts gushing about it - THAT'S what I feel riding does for me.  A huge grin, nothing on your mind except the bike and that huge upswing of mood.  I love the ape-hangers, the whole arms out/feet out feel on a bike is great.  

Like you, I would probably go ape (pun intended) for the extras, custom seat, slash cut pipes, floating headlight, custom paint job and all that.  If only there wasn't problem of the filthy lucre (or lack of it!) standing in our way!  

The Scout is a nice bike for sure, but while I love the matte black one featured in part of the video, the Triumph still wins the day out of the two, for me.  

There's a pub I go to quite often on the bike, only a few miles away from here, where bikers like to meet and chat shit about bikes and music etc.  It was built in the 13th century and the guy who runs it is more than happy for bikers to do a bit of fucking about in the rear car park, which is away from the road and has no residential properties near it.  

There's a guy who goes there who has a custom VZ800 a lot like the one in the video below, which I must admit, I lusted after.  This guy's (Toby) bike is a little different, in that it has a shortened front mudguard, bar-end mirrors and a wider rear tyre and the pipes are chrome rather than black.  It sounds really good, though.  He once did a fucking massive rolling burnout across the car park and man, that engine sounded sweet.  Once I'd picked molten bits of rubber off my jacket and coughed up some smoke LOL I had to buy him a drink to reward his efforts.

Yeah that Marauder's a nice looking bike. 

Watched some more videos. Now I want a Softail. Specifically a Fat Boy. I think it's the iconic Harley design. All blacked out, no chrome. They even added custom exhaust to make this one sound a bit more like a Harley which I totally appreciate. Well out of my price range though. 

Yeah that Marauder's a nice looking bike. 

Watched some more videos. Now I want a Softail. Specifically a Fat Boy. I think it's the iconic Harley design. All blacked out, no chrome. They even added custom exhaust to make this one sound a bit more like a Harley which I totally appreciate. Well out of my price range though. 

In all honesty, if someone said "I will buy you a bike, money's no object but it HAS to be a Harley", I, too would go for the Fat Boy, or possibly the Street Bob as a second option.    

That custom one in the video is a beauty and I LOVE the seat, the fender and the split rims.  

And as you referenced, the V&H exhaust gives it that familiar Harley note that people either love or hate and the black is just awesome.  

The only thing I wouldn't have done is replace the footboards.  Not that I have huge Harley riding experience, but I think the boards are better.

A mate of mine has an Indian of some kind. He was one of 20 people who ordered some special edition of the bike and was invited to the Sydney factory for all sorts of fan fare to celebrate the special bike. He paid a fortune for it, got a weekend in Sydney to pick it up, a tour of the factory and whatever else Indian have here in Australia, some sort of media attention and all sorts of Indian memorabilia. If I paid more attention to his ramblings about bikes I probably would know more about it but alas I've always turned off when he yabbers on.

2 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

A mate of mine has an Indian of some kind. He was one of 20 people who ordered some special edition of the bike and was invited to the Sydney factory for all sorts of fan fare to celebrate the special bike. He paid a fortune for it, got a weekend in Sydney to pick it up, a tour of the factory and whatever else Indian have here in Australia, some sort of media attention and all sorts of Indian memorabilia. If I paid more attention to his ramblings about bikes I probably would know more about it but alas I've always turned off when he yabbers on.

Way out of my price range, sadly.  Indian do some nice bikes.  I admit to being a fan of the Chief Dark Horse.  It looks great in black.  And the Scout Bobber that GG posted, above is also pretty sweet.

Oooh, songs that shiver me timbers... I would have to say Dancers to a Discordant System by Meshuggah, The Art of Dying by Gojira, and 10,000 Days by Tool.

Dancers to a Discordant System is also probably my favorite song of all time (sounds a bit dramatic though). Simply an amazingly written piece of art that in my opinion excels in the musical aspect as well as in the lyrical aspect. This song includes I think something like 9 different polyrhythms (in 9 minutes), and manages to deliver a particular haunting and penetrating tone. Additionally, the lyrics in this song are just incredible. Such powerfully delivered concepts and ideas... The whole song gives me chills just from its concept itself, but if you still want specific parts then it would be: 3:54 with "Humbled, brought to our knees - by the weight of our own guilt", the entire section of 4:56 - 5:25, and then the entry to the breakdown in 5:26.

The Art of Dying gave me so many chills the first time I heard it, especially in "I try to keep an eye open, and I realize - I haven't closed my eyes in a long time" in 2:36.

10,000 Days is one of those meditational songs that you never want it to end ('cause Tool). The chills part kicks in at 5:22 with that harmonized voice (?) that immediately makes me want to burst into tears every single time again.

42 minutes ago, thrashinbiker said:

Way out of my price range, sadly.  Indian do some nice bikes.  I admit to being a fan of the Chief Dark Horse.  It looks great in black.  And the Scout Bobber that GG posted, above is also pretty sweet.

Yeah my mate is a mine worker $180K minimum per year. Buying bikes, boats that he rarely uses and pig shooting rigs is about all he does other than work and farming.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Yeah my mate is a mine worker $180K minimum per year. Buying bikes, boats that he rarely uses and pig shooting rigs is about all he does other than work and farming.

Fair play to him - if he can afford it, why not.  I've never been into boats, but the bikes I can definitely understand.  

Does he like metal, too?  I find, having ridden for a number of years and having met many bikers over the years, that there seems to be an expectation that most bikers are into metal/rock but while some most definitely do (I am one, of course) I find the majority don't, or, at the very least, might like the odd bit of Metallica or Maiden etc.

2 hours ago, AdamGavriely said:

The Art of Dying gave me so many chills the first time I heard it, especially in "I try to keep an eye open, and I realize - I haven't closed my eyes in a long time" in 2:36.

The whole album is a cracker. Not much love for Gojira around here, but you can join me in telling them  - fuck youse all.

I know sweet stuff all about motorbikes, that feeling of the wind rushing by as you take on the road, just you and your own two wheels though? I know that feeling very well from my days cycling. I’m sure I probably annoyed my fair share of of bikers flying by on a downhill run.

as for songs that give me chills, lets fast forward a little bit with this next one…

Raining Blood by Slayer

it’s 2005, for the last three years I’ve exclusively been listening to Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, AC/DC, and Deep Purple. It’s late at night, and I’m channel surfing on our new Foxtel subscription, pay TV for all you non-Australians, when I accidentally stumbled across MTV just as run to the hills is finishing playing, of course 15 year old me recognises the riff so I stay glued to That channel, I’m just about to turn it off following some less than interesting glam tracks when Raining Blood starts playing. It’s the heaviest, burst, aggressive, fastest, goddamn thing I’ve heard in my life up until that point, and I spend the next fortnight doing extra chores around the house, just so I can earn enough pocket money to go out and buy the album ASAP… I would end up having to listen in secret, but that’s a whole other story for another day.   

40 minutes ago, thrashinbiker said:

Fair play to him - if he can afford it, why not.  I've never been into boats, but the bikes I can definitely understand.  

Does he like metal, too?  I find, having ridden for a number of years and having met many bikers over the years, that there seems to be an expectation that most bikers are into metal/rock but while some most definitely do (I am one, of course) I find the majority don't, or, at the very least, might like the odd bit of Metallica or Maiden etc.

I actually don't know too many metal heads these days. Plenty of people like hard rock, some go as far as that Nu Metal shit but genuine metal heads I don't know that many.

9 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I know sweet stuff all about motorbikes, that feeling of the wind rushing by as you take on the road, just you and your own two wheels though? I know that feeling very well from my days cycling. I’m sure I probably annoyed my fair share of of bikers flying by on a downhill run.

as for songs that give me chills, lets fast forward a little bit with this next one…

Raining Blood by Slayer

it’s 2005, for the last three years I’ve exclusively been listening to Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, AC/DC, and Deep Purple. It’s late at night, and I’m channel surfing on our new Foxtel subscription, pay TV for all you non-Australians, when I accidentally stumbled across MTV just as run to the hills is finishing playing, of course 15 year old me recognises the riff so I stay glued to That channel, I’m just about to turn it off following some less than interesting glam tracks when Raining Blood starts playing. It’s the heaviest, burst, aggressive, fastest, goddamn thing I’ve heard in my life up until that point, and I spend the next fortnight doing extra chores around the house, just so I can earn enough pocket money to go out and buy the album ASAP… I would end up having to listen in secret, but that’s a whole other story for another day.   

Well cycling or motorcycling, still a great feeling either way :)  

Ah man, that whole album is my undisputed favourite, it's the first metal album I ever heard and while I know some love it, some hate it, I feel EXACTLY like you do and did back then.  Whether I am having a bad day, a good day or a great day, that album just lifts up my mood every single time.  I can't praise it enough.  

9 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

I actually don't know too many metal heads these days. Plenty of people like hard rock, some go as far as that Nu Metal shit but genuine metal heads I don't know that many.

Me neither.  I've got one friend who I see occasionally (he doesn't live too far away, but he has a wife and daughter so is kept busy with family life) who is heavily into metal, but he's the only one I know "in real life" as it were.  That's why this place is great, it brings so many of us together and we can share experiences and learn new things.  I am no music expert by any stretch, but some of the recommendations from people I have had in the short time I have been here, have been amazing!

I’ve only got one song left that fits the bill, see, I told you it was a shortlist…

Darkthrone - In the Shadow of the Horns

once again, we are hitting fast forward on my metal journey, it’s mid 2012, and thanks to what is now known as the official black metal recommendations thread i’ve been flirting with BM but the genre is yet to really click with me. I still vividly remember the night that all changed,however. It’s a stormy night in the middle of winter, we’ve just lost power leaving just this song queue up in what I was expecting to be another ruthless endeavour to make heads or tails out of black metal. With no lights, and no batteries in the torches, we are lighting candles to give us at least a little light. Sitting there, watching the flickering flame as thunder rumbling overhead, and the almost hypnotic rhythm in my ears it all finally makes sense, and from that day forth dark path would forever dominate my destiny…