Requiem

Moonspell - Portugal's Finest

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Same here regarding the rankings. If I didn't have so many new CDs to listen to I'd break out 'Memorial' now and give it a listen. Actually what I might do is put it in my car for this week's commute playlist. On 'Moon and Mercury', I think the chorus is really cool. It's obviously not too challenging in that it simply repeats the title, but it's heavy and gets me moving. 

What we should have done is assign each album a score out of 10. Is that going too far? 

Also, I've written a whole heap of Top 10s in a couple of threads in the General Music Discussion forum: namely the Top 10 of Any Given Year where I covered 1991-2016 and Top 10 of Any Given Concept and Genre where I'm posting all kinds of wacky stuff. A lot of gothic metal comes through in my lists, of course, so check it out if you feel like it. It would be cool to see some of your lists in those forums too, although seeing how long it takes you to mince out a Moonspell ranking I won't be offended if you gracefully decline. ;) 

Ideally, I would like to rate and rank every album I own but that might take me another century! 

Here are some rough ratings. Rated Alpha Noir and Omega White separately.

Wolfheart (9.5)

Irreligious (9.5)

Memorial (9)

Extinct (9)

Under Satanae (9)

The Butterfly Effect (8.5)

Sin/Pecado (8)

Night Eternal (8)

Omega White (8)

Alpha Noir (7.5)

Darkness and Hope (7.5 ...or 8?)

The Antidote (7 ...or 7.5?)

I'll check out your lists and see what I can come up with. It sounds like I've got a lot of reading to do!  

I may rank/rate the My Dying Bride catalogue next! 

Ok, here are my ratings out of ten for the albums: 

6.5/10 - The Butterfly Effect (1999)

7/10 - Alpha Noir/Omega White (2012)

7.5/10 - The Antidote (2003)

8/10 - Extinct (2015)

8/10 - Sin/Pecado (1998)

8.5/10 - Darkness and Hope (2001)

8.5/10 - Night Eternal (2008)

9/10 - Under Satanae (2007* 1993-1994)

9/10 - Memorial (2006)

9.5/10 - Wolfheart (1995)

10/10-  Irreligious (1996)

26 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Ok, here are my ratings out of ten for the albums: 

6.5/10 - The Butterfly Effect (1999)

7/10 - Alpha Noir/Omega White (2012)

7.5/10 - The Antidote (2003)

8/10 - Extinct (2015)

8/10 - Sin/Pecado (1998)

8.5/10 - Darkness and Hope (2001)

8.5/10 - Night Eternal (2008)

9/10 - Under Satanae (2007* 1993-1994)

9/10 - Memorial (2006)

9.5/10 - Wolfheart (1995)

10/10-  Irreligious (1996)

Interesting ratings. I should ask you what your ratings mean in context.

For me:  

6 = it's o-k with some level of appeal.

7 = I generally like it but with some clear issues that hold it back.

8 = I really like it despite some minor issues.

9 = a minor favourite of mine, no serious flaws.  

10 = all time favourite, of personal significance. 

29 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

Interesting ratings. I should ask you what your ratings mean in context.

For me:  

6 = it's o-k with some level of appeal.

7 = I generally like it but with some clear issues that hold it back.

8 = I really like it despite some minor issues.

9 = a minor favourite of mine, no serious flaws.  

10 = all time favourite, of personal significance. 

Yeah, this is pretty close.

6 = A respectable album that doesn't bring me back too often, although if asked I will say I do quite like. 

7 = A good album with some minor flaws. An every now and then album but one held fondly.

8 = A solid, enjoyable album that I regularly go back to. Strong emotional effect. 

9 = A minor favourite that transcends 99% of albums out there. World class. 

10 =  An all time personal favourite. A classic of deep personal significance that transcends the notes played. 

Edit: Now we are rating our ratings. I think we have a problem... 

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Yeah, this is pretty close.

6 = A respectable album that doesn't bring me back too often, although if asked I will say I do quite like. 

7 = A good album with some minor flaws. An every now and then album but one held fondly.

8 = A solid, enjoyable album that I regularly go back to. Strong emotional effect. 

9 = A minor favourite that transcends 99% of albums out there. World class. 

10 =  An all time personal favourite. A classic of deep personal significance that transcends the notes played. 

Edit: Now we are rating our ratings. I think we have a problem... 

True, but I came up with ratings and explanations in record time! Just thought I'd ask because people's rating 'scale' can vary wildly. 

On a related note: With favourite bands I tend to give their worst albums a lot of listens before dismissing them entirely. A disappointing album by a favourite band could still get a high score because I know that compared to everything else out there the intrinsic qualities of a favourite band could still win me over. 

21 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

True, but I came up with ratings and explanations in record time! Just thought I'd ask because people's rating 'scale' can vary wildly. 

On a related note: With favourite bands I tend to give their worst albums a lot of listens before dismissing them entirely. A disappointing album by a favourite band could still get a high score because I know that compared to everything else out there the intrinsic qualities of a favourite band could still win me over. 

Absolutely. I'm willing to give these albums repeated listens whereas other bands' weak albums I might move on from sooner. This is in part due to the fact that even weaker albums created by band members that I respect and admire are still interesting to me on some level. 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Absolutely. I'm willing to give these albums repeated listens whereas other bands' weak albums I might move on from sooner. This is in part due to the fact that even weaker albums created by band members that I respect and admire are still interesting to me on some level. 

I thought you might agree with that. 

Going back to Moonspell, have you seen the bonus DVD that comes with Extinct? If so, what do you think of it?  

4 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I thought you might agree with that. 

Going back to Moonspell, have you seen the bonus DVD that comes with Extinct? If so, what do you think of it?  

I played it through once and can't remember much about it apart from a few experts talking about the environment. I guess that means it didn't really blow me away. I blame the internet - if I wasn't wasting time on here I would have watched it three or four times and be able to say something salient about it. What did you think of it? 

I actually really like studio documentaries but I keep forgetting to watch them.

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

I played it through once and can't remember much about it apart from a few experts talking about the environment. I guess that means it didn't really blow me away. I blame the internet - if I wasn't wasting time on here I would have watched it three or four times and be able to say something salient about it. What did you think of it? 

I actually really like studio documentaries but I keep forgetting to watch them.

I enjoyed it. It's nothing amazing but an 80 minute bonus DVD is pretty worthwhile. I always like 'making of' documentaries and seeing the passion and so forth from bands. I had seen part of it on youtube and that is mostly what prompted me to buy that edition. The bonus tracks are decent re-workings of album songs but that wasn't really enough to persuade me especially when the album cover is even worse than on the standard edition...  

On 10/09/2017 at 10:29 PM, Vampyrique said:

I enjoyed it. It's nothing amazing but an 80 minute bonus DVD is pretty worthwhile. I always like 'making of' documentaries and seeing the passion and so forth from bands. I had seen part of it on youtube and that is mostly what prompted me to buy that edition. The bonus tracks are decent re-workings of album songs but that wasn't really enough to persuade me especially when the album cover is even worse than on the standard edition...  

When you say bonus tracks do you mean the fairly boring remixes? Oh man, metal bands that remix their tracks into electronic/dance music are making a big mistake. I can't listen to the remixes on 'Extinct'. 

I actually took that album back into my car the other day. I definitely really like the first half, and of course 'La Baphomette', although the second half of the album is a bit bland. Filler really. I just think that overall 'Extinct' doesn't quite have the excitement  going for it at times.  Considering it's only ten songs long I really think they should have nailed it. 

59 minutes ago, Requiem said:

When you say bonus tracks do you mean the fairly boring remixes? Oh man, metal bands that remix their tracks into electronic/dance music are making a big mistake. I can't listen to the remixes on 'Extinct'. 

I actually took that album back into my car the other day. I definitely really like the first half, and of course 'La Baphomette', although the second half of the album is a bit bland. Filler really. I just think that overall 'Extinct' doesn't quite have the excitement  going for it at times.  Considering it's only ten songs long I really think they should have nailed it. 

The bonus tracks sound like the product of a band bored in studio rather than a David Vincent signature special. Nothing too extreme here. More like "how about we try this here instead of that" which isn't too bad. I've heard too many awful metal remixes in my life and these are relatively innocuous by comparison. 

One of the reasons I like the album is because they wear their goth influences on their sleeve but it's done in a great way that mixes well with Moonspell's style and doesn't sound like a cheesy imitation (which I've heard too many bands do over the years). For example, Medusalem sounds like The Sisters of Mercy which I can appreciate. 

But Regarding the second half: A Dying Breed is kinda meh. I like the intro and outro but sounds like b-side material. Otherwise, I like the second half albeit maybe not as much as the first half. Malignia is a beautiful song in my opinion. Funeral Bloom sounds like Fields of the Nephilim. The Future Is Dark sounds like The Cure. La Baphomette is excellent, wish it was longer.