Moonspell - Portugal's Finest

Requiem

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

The artwork of 'Extinct' was a real misfire for Moonspell. They should have used something much more subtle and appropriate. 'Extinct' looks more like a tech death cover or something. Seth Siro Anton from Septicflesh is responsible, and the new Septicflesh cover also over does it in my opinion. Everything the does these days has to be some kind of mecha-alien freak of nature and quite frankly it's stupid. Love Septicflesh though - love them. 

I would liken this type of artwork to the CGI that plagues modern films, which I'm not a fan of either. 

6 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I would liken this type of artwork to the CGI that plagues modern films, which I'm not a fan of either. 

Yep, agreed. Cradle of Filth is a great case in point. Their 'photo' based cover designs look so much better than their computer graphics/drawings in my humble opinion. 

Brilliant: 'Principle...', 'V Empire', 'Dusk', 'Cruelty', 'Nymphetamine', 'Hammer'. 

Lame: 'Bitter Suites', 'Godspeed', 'Darkly Darkly Venus Aversa' etc. 

The difference is huge. 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Yep, agreed. Cradle of Filth is a great case in point. Their 'photo' based cover designs look so much better than their computer graphics/drawings in my humble opinion. 

Brilliant: 'Principle...', 'V Empire', 'Dusk', 'Cruelty', 'Nymphetamine', 'Hammer'. 

Lame: 'Bitter Suites', 'Godspeed', 'Darkly Darkly Venus Aversa' etc. 

The difference is huge. 

Definitely. Cradle of Filth has some of the best album covers. I'm a big fan of Simon Marsden's ghostly dreamscapes depicted in his infrared photography, which was used for Dusk. Nigel Wingrove's work is some of the best I've seen.

Darkly's artwork seemed atrocious and childish to me and reads: Burtonesque for little girls. Godspeed had a good selection of colours but that's about all. It looked like something from a video game. Bitter Suites isn't too bad because at least it wasn't entirely generated on computers and it does have a good amount of detail even if it does seem like a more cartoony version of Cruelty's artwork. Also, I can respect the striking use of the colour orange. Thankfully, it appears that Cradle is embracing the idea of good artwork again. 

7 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Definitely. Cradle of Filth has some of the best album covers. I'm a big fan of Simon Marsden's ghostly dreamscapes depicted in his infrared photography, which was used for Dusk. Nigel Wingrove's work is some of the best I've seen.

Darkly's artwork seemed atrocious and childish to me and reads: Burtonesque for little girls. Godspeed had a good selection of colours but that's about all. It looked like something from a video game. Bitter Suites isn't too bad because at least it wasn't entirely generated on computers and it does have a good amount of detail even if it does seem like a more cartoony version of Cruelty's artwork. Also, I can respect the striking use of the colour orange. Thankfully, it appears that Cradle is embracing the idea of good artwork again. 

The artwork for 'Dusk and Her Embrace' is amazing. The cover, obviously, but also those photos you're referring to in the booklet/tray etc. Just so beautiful. I think Simon Marsden died a couple of years ago. 

Agree regarding 'Darkly'. The actual booklet artwork of 'Godspeed' is pretty cool in a different sort of way - hardly gothic - but still pretty cool. The front cover is so bad though, I just don't understand how they could green-light it. Luckily I've got a version that has a generic leather looking cover that saves the eyes. I've never really liked the 'Bitter Suites' cover of that girl sitting cross-legged. It looks very school-project. 

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the 'Cryptoriana' cover though. I think I previously described those two blokes in at as resembling theatre restaurant employees rather than Victorian British gentlemen. Anyway, I'll wait to see what it looks like when I'm holding it in my hands. 

20 hours ago, Requiem said:

The artwork for 'Dusk and Her Embrace' is amazing. The cover, obviously, but also those photos you're referring to in the booklet/tray etc. Just so beautiful. I think Simon Marsden died a couple of years ago. 

Agree regarding 'Darkly'. The actual booklet artwork of 'Godspeed' is pretty cool in a different sort of way - hardly gothic - but still pretty cool. The front cover is so bad though, I just don't understand how they could green-light it. Luckily I've got a version that has a generic leather looking cover that saves the eyes. I've never really liked the 'Bitter Suites' cover of that girl sitting cross-legged. It looks very school-project. 

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the 'Cryptoriana' cover though. I think I previously described those two blokes in at as resembling theatre restaurant employees rather than Victorian British gentlemen. Anyway, I'll wait to see what it looks like when I'm holding it in my hands. 

The images in Godspeed's booklet resemble an illustrated book of fairytales for children, only with morbid depictions. I'm fine with those. The cover art could have been good if it was reworked, and in the form of a painting rather than something so digital and cheesy. I've also got the two disc edition but I'm not a fan of trayless digipaks!

I tend to agree with you about how Cryptoriana looks, but the cardboard waves or whatever those are behind the coffin reminded me of theatre production to begin with. I don't think the cover is as dark as the music is and I think that the artist is capable of better but I prefer it over some of their previous ones, like Darkly's cover and artwork (the worst the band has ever had).  

On 21/08/2017 at 5:33 AM, Vampyrique said:

The images in Godspeed's booklet resemble an illustrated book of fairytales for children, only with morbid depictions. I'm fine with those. The cover art could have been good if it was reworked, and in the form of a painting rather than something so digital and cheesy. I've also got the two disc edition but I'm not a fan of trayless digipaks!

I tend to agree with you about how Cryptoriana looks, but the cardboard waves or whatever those are behind the coffin reminded me of theatre production to begin with. I don't think the cover is as dark as the music is and I think that the artist is capable of better but I prefer it over some of their previous ones, like Darkly's cover and artwork (the worst the band has ever had).  

I'm not sure the artwork for 'Godspeed' could be saved. I just can't imagine how it could ever look good trying to show the 'many faces of Gilles de Rais' or whatever it's supposed to represent. They should have gone with some strong photo based image with a simple symbol that means something relevant to the story, like a wilted rose or something - I don't know. Something more elegant and artistic. 

It's a real mystery why Dani green-lights some of those covers. Then again, look at his own image... urgh...

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I'm not sure the artwork for 'Godspeed' could be saved. I just can't imagine how it could ever look good trying to show the 'many faces of Gilles de Rais' or whatever it's supposed to represent. They should have gone with some strong photo based image with a simple symbol that means something relevant to the story, like a wilted rose or something - I don't know. Something more elegant and artistic. 

It's a real mystery why Dani green-lights some of those covers. Then again, look at his own image... urgh...

Yes, especially when you know that Dani is a man who appreciates aesthetics and great artwork as demonstrated by their 90s album covers. I wonder how much influence Paul Allender had in choosing artwork. 

Apparently, their drummer had been begging Dani for years to contact Arthur Berzinsh regarding artwork.

49 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

Yes, especially when you know that Dani is a man who appreciates aesthetics and great artwork as demonstrated by their 90s album covers. I wonder how much influence Paul Allender had in choosing artwork. 

Apparently, their drummer had been begging Dani for years to contact Arthur Berzinsh regarding artwork.

I just googled Arthur Berzinsh and there are heaps of his images that are used in the booklet for 'Hammer of the Witches', so apparently he does use him. 

Found this excerpt from an interview with Paul about The Manticore artwork where he basically says no to cheesy gothic artwork because they had already done it! I wonder which album(s) he was referring to.   

Puregrainaudio: It also marks the first time you work with designer Mathew Vickerstaff on an album cover.
Paul: Yes, because we did have another artwork artist but he didn't really get it. He kept coming up with a really cheesy Gothic stuff and it just didn't work. We had done that already. And the band wanted to go some different direction. The idea I wanted to do originally was to go back to what we used to do by photographing models and setting up scenes with photography. What we used to do in (albums like) Dusk, Cruelty and Principle, that type of stuff. But not the Gothic stuff, more like the modern day up to date photographs. We just couldn't find a right photographer to do that, so we ended up doing the CGI digital design. This guy, Mathew, works for the record company and he’s done a really good job. I like it. It definitely works and it definitely shows what the content of the album is going to be like.

Going back to Moonspell, I ordered Extinct with the bonus 'making of' documentary. This album has continued to grow on me. Also got Under Satanae to complete my Moonspell collection.

7 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Found this excerpt from an interview with Paul about The Manticore artwork where he basically says no to cheesy gothic artwork because they had already done it! I wonder which album(s) he was referring to.   

Puregrainaudio: It also marks the first time you work with designer Mathew Vickerstaff on an album cover.
Paul: Yes, because we did have another artwork artist but he didn't really get it. He kept coming up with a really cheesy Gothic stuff and it just didn't work. We had done that already. And the band wanted to go some different direction. The idea I wanted to do originally was to go back to what we used to do by photographing models and setting up scenes with photography. What we used to do in (albums like) Dusk, Cruelty and Principle, that type of stuff. But not the Gothic stuff, more like the modern day up to date photographs. We just couldn't find a right photographer to do that, so we ended up doing the CGI digital design. This guy, Mathew, works for the record company and he’s done a really good job. I like it. It definitely works and it definitely shows what the content of the album is going to be like.

Going back to Moonspell, I ordered Extinct with the bonus 'making of' documentary. This album has continued to grow on me. Also got Under Satanae to complete my Moonspell collection.

'Under Satanae' is amazing - one of my favourite releases. It sounds so good and the songs just have that fantastic vibe. Easily my favourite re-recorded material album from any band. 

Also I think we need a Cradle of Filth thread, although we've already said so much in other threads hahaha. 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

'Under Satanae' is amazing - one of my favourite releases. It sounds so good and the songs just have that fantastic vibe. Easily my favourite re-recorded material album from any band. 

Also I think we need a Cradle of Filth thread, although we've already said so much in other threads hahaha. 

I don't know why but I never really gave Under Satanae a proper listen when it came out. Probably due to skepticism when any band re-records older material. I recently streamed some of the tracks and realized that its actually really good so I'll be looking forward to it's arrival. 

And yeah, this somehow became the Cradle of Moonspell thread! 

3 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I don't know why but I never really gave Under Satanae a proper listen when it came out. Probably due to skepticism when any band re-records older material. I recently streamed some of the tracks and realized that its actually really good so I'll be looking forward to it's arrival. 

And yeah, this somehow became the Cradle of Moonspell thread! 

You have every right to be skeptical, re-recordings are typically needless and shitty. Under Satanae, however, is not. I prefer the Under the Moonspell versions of those songs, but not by much, and the re-recordings of their demo songs are fucking killer. It's probably my second favorite Moonspell release behind Wolfheart.

Re-recordings usually don't work because a cleaner production and 'tight' performances often produce something sterile compared to the original.  

Given Moonspell's mercurial nature, it was probably the ideal time to re-record those songs after their return-to-roots album Memorial. I do like the original EP but the idea of re-recording those songs in addition to the demos, clocking in at 50 minutes, makes it a worthwhile release. I suppose it's also a rather innocuous venture when a band re-records demos as opposed to early album tracks. 

10 hours ago, Requiem said:

Do it - I'll be very interested to see what you think. 

I'll do this in parts as I further try to collect my thoughts and rank Moonspell's discography. Plus, it will hopefully keep you in a perplexed state of suspense. This marks the first time that I've actually tried to do this so it may be subject to (minor) changes in the future.

11. The Antidote
Despite being last on my list this is still a fairly good album. There are some great moments but what mainly keeps my interest here are the intricacies and nuances that come in the way of sound effects and keyboards which work to create mood and atmosphere. Aside from that, everything else feels somewhat generic in its stripped down approach.    

10. Darkness and Hope
I’ve always struggled with Moonspell when they go the route of saturnine, heavy rock but unlike The Antidote, the emotion comes through well on this album and the songs are better and more memorable. Their cover of Mr. Crowley is great in spite of discarding the wonderful introduction that is featured on the Ozzy original. 

9. Alpha Noir / Omega White 
It seemed almost by fate that I should enjoy this release more given that I had ordered the special edition and it coincidentally arrived on the day of a super moon (or some sort of moon phenomenon as I recall). But despite that, and the fact there are two albums worth of content, I was initially very disappointed. Fernando’s harsh vocal delivery on Alpha Noir reminds me of Sakis from Rotting Christ and this can be distracting but musically I’m able to overlook whatever reservations I have because Alpha Noir and Omega White are actually pretty good. They feel like logical successors to Night Eternal with each divergent album occupying an opposite end of the spectrum of Moonspell’s primary influences. If I were to rate the two albums separately I would favour Omega White. It is more obvious with its nod to traditional goth rock and more interesting than the albums ranked before this. Both continue to grow on me.   

12 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I'll do this in parts as I further try to collect my thoughts and rank Moonspell's discography. Plus, it will hopefully keep you in a perplexed state of suspense. This marks the first time that I've actually tried to do this so it may be subject to (minor) changes in the future.

11. The Antidote
Despite being last on my list this is still a fairly good album. There are some great moments but what mainly keeps my interest here are the intricacies and nuances that come in the way of sound effects and keyboards which work to create mood and atmosphere. Aside from that, everything else feels somewhat generic in its stripped down approach.    

10. Darkness and Hope
I’ve always struggled with Moonspell when they go the route of saturnine, heavy rock but unlike The Antidote, the emotion comes through well on this album and the songs are better and more memorable. Their cover of Mr. Crowley is great in spite of discarding the wonderful introduction that is featured on the Ozzy original. 

9. Alpha Noir / Omega White 
It seemed almost by fate that I should enjoy this release more given that I had ordered the special edition and it coincidentally arrived on the day of a super moon (or some sort of moon phenomenon as I recall). But despite that, and the fact there are two albums worth of content, I was initially very disappointed. Fernando’s harsh vocal delivery on Alpha Noir reminds me of Sakis from Rotting Christ and this can be distracting but musically I’m able to overlook whatever reservations I have because Alpha Noir and Omega White are actually pretty good. They feel like logical successors to Night Eternal with each divergent album occupying an opposite end of the spectrum of Moonspell’s primary influences. If I were to rate the two albums separately I would favour Omega White. It is more obvious with its nod to traditional goth rock and more interesting than the albums ranked before this. Both continue to grow on me.   

Excellent! You've inspired me to go back to my original post in this thread and actually review them properly - check it out.

I did it before I read your three entries here but I also addressed the mid-era rock material. I think I like it a little more than you though. I can't wait to see the rest of your list. Sending it out in instalments hahaha, it's like click bait. 

7 hours ago, Requiem said:

Excellent! You've inspired me to go back to my original post in this thread and actually review them properly - check it out.

I did it before I read your three entries here but I also addressed the mid-era rock material. I think I like it a little more than you though. I can't wait to see the rest of your list. Sending it out in instalments hahaha, it's like click bait. 

It was interesting read! For some reason I had previously assumed that you didn't really like some of the lower ranked albums, but now I know you like them all. But where would you rank Under Satanae? I'm including this one in my list.  

15 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

It was interesting read! For some reason I had previously assumed that you didn't really like some of the lower ranked albums, but now I know you like them all. But where would you rank Under Satanae? I'm including this one in my list.  

I've re-edited and included it. I freakin' love that album! I'm glad we're putting it in. Also, hurry up and do your list. Don't over think it! ;)

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

I've re-edited and included it. I freakin' love that album! I'm glad we're putting it in. Also, hurry up and do your list. Don't over think it! ;)

Did Alfred Hitchcock over-think the element of suspense in his films? I think not. ;)

8. Night Eternal 
Further riding the wave of momentum of Moonspell’s resurgent return to roots is 2008’s Night Eternal. It features some of their most abrasive and aggressive work but isn’t without some level of gothic elegance which I certainly appreciate. I feel bad ranking it at eight but it can feel a bit 'tired' at times with some songs not as strong as others and this shouldn't happen on a 45min album. Nevertheless, it’s still a solid release.  

7. Sin/Pecado 
Moonspell may have committed a sin/pecado by releasing an album like this at the time they did, but then again, it seemed commonplace for metal and goth bands alike to shed traditional sounds and instead embrace ‘new’ and ‘exciting’ technology in the form of electronics. Ironically, it seems that when Depeche Mode fell out of vogue in the 90s, they were never so popular than within the metal and goth scenes. The result is a well produced album that features many excellent songs like HandMadeGod, Magdelene, Vulture Culture, EuroticA. I can only imagine the shock of fans seeing the 2econd Skin video for the first time with Moonspell’s new sound on display and a partially-robed Bela Lugosi miming to his best Buffalo Bill impersonation. Or was that Fernando?  

6. The Butterfly Effect 
A moth to some, a butterfly to others. Despite the many faces of Moonspell, this is quite possibly the only album in their catalogue that is seemingly universally loathed and/or forgotten about by all fans no matter what era appeals to them. Everywhere it seems this is consistently their lowest rated album. For me it was always an interesting release from beginning to end that has never bored me since first hearing it. Despite the noisier, more industrial direction, it still very much feels like Moonspell to me and isn’t a bad companion to Sin/Pecado. But overall I think it's an improvement on Sin/Pecado and more consistent. I really like this one! 

5. Under Satanæ 
I never really gave this a chance until recently but I’m glad I did. The re-recordings are excellent and faithful to the originals but it’s the second half that appeals to me the most and is easily amongst their best material. Normally, a more modern production can hinder songs with sterility, but here it actually gives the songs power. This is Moonspell at their most feral, seemingly possessed under a fullmoon. Wolves From the Fog, Serpent Angel... impressive stuff. The wolfshade has never been darker than on this album.    

14 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Did Alfred Hitchcock over-think the element of suspense in his films? I think not. ;)

8. Night Eternal 
Further riding the wave of momentum of Moonspell’s resurgent return to roots is 2008’s Night Eternal. It features some of their most abrasive and aggressive work but isn’t without some level of gothic elegance which I certainly appreciate. I feel bad ranking it at eight but it can feel a bit 'tired' at times with some songs not as strong as others and this shouldn't happen on a 45min album. Nevertheless, it’s still a solid release.  

7. Sin/Pecado 
Moonspell may have committed a sin/pecado by releasing an album like this at the time they did, but then again, it seemed commonplace for metal and goth bands alike to shed traditional sounds and instead embrace ‘new’ and ‘exciting’ technology in the form of electronics. Ironically, it seems that when Depeche Mode fell out of vogue in the 90s, they were never so popular than within the metal and goth scenes. The result is a well produced album that features many excellent songs like HandMadeGod, Magdelene, Vulture Culture, EuroticA. I can only imagine the shock of fans seeing the 2econd Skin video for the first time with Moonspell’s new sound on display and a partially-robed Bela Lugosi miming to his best Buffalo Bill impersonation. Or was that Fernando?  

6. The Butterfly Effect 
A moth to some, a butterfly to others. Despite the many faces of Moonspell, this is quite possibly the only album in their catalogue that is seemingly universally loathed and/or forgotten about by all fans no matter what era appeals to them. Everywhere it seems this is consistently their lowest rated album. For me it was always an interesting release from beginning to end that has never bored me since first hearing it. Despite the noisier, more industrial direction, it still very much feels like Moonspell to me and isn’t a bad companion to Sin/Pecado. But overall I think it's an improvement on Sin/Pecado and more consistent. I really like this one! 

5. Under Satanæ 
I never really gave this a chance until recently but I’m glad I did. The re-recordings are excellent and faithful to the originals but it’s the second half that appeals to me the most and is easily amongst their best material. Normally, a more modern production can hinder songs with sterility, but here it actually gives the songs power. This is Moonspell at their most feral, seemingly possessed under a fullmoon. Wolves From the Fog, Serpent Angel... impressive stuff. The wolfshade has never been darker than on this album.    

Now I know what your top four is - only I don't know the order. I wonder if I can guess. 

The surprise here for me is the high placing of 'The Butterfly Effect'! Number 6(66)! I agree with the way you describe it as a companion to 'Sin/Pecado', but for me where 'Sin' is cool and classy, 'Butterfly' ain't. It's a really fun album though. 

Come on then, Alfred, let's see the rest. ;)

4. Extinct

When Extinct first came out I got nothing out of either of the singles; both seemed like commercial takes upon their usual goth rock indulgence and admiration. And any pre-conceived notions that I held from the album’s promotion seemed to only be exacerbated upon first hearing the album in its entirety. However, a couple of months ago my curiosity was piqued when it became evident to me that a surprising amount of Moonspell fans emphatically praised this album. I’m glad I decided to recently re-visit this album and subsequently I’ve spent a lot of time listening to it since because with each new listen I could tell that there was potential being further realized. 

The album flows nicely and I would argue too that the production on Extinct is the best they’ve ever had. It’s clean and layered well without being too overproduced and gives the album a beautiful but atmospheric quality. Malignia might be my favourite. I love the waltzing beat of La Baphomette but I wish it was longer. This album is still growing on me. 

3. Memorial

This is the main reason why I became a Moonspell fan. I used to often seek out 'dark' and 'gothic' metal and had heard a lot of good things about Moonspell. Their fans seemed passionate as well. However, what I had heard was material from The Antidote and maybe Darkness and Hope which didn't do much for me at all. I listened to Memorial when it came out attempting to give them another chance and wasn't immediately won over. Some time shortly after I saw the video for Finisterra and it seemed to reinvigorate my interest. With subsequent listens I began to like it more and more. The album's songs may not all be strong on their own but collectively they give the album a cohesive, ghostly quality that is pretty captivating and haunting. Whenever I listen to the album on my ipod I add on Atlantic and Phantom North to make the album a 69 minute epic.   

2. Irreligious

This album basically has it all. Great songs, lots of variety, always engaging, flows well. I always have a difficult time choosing between this and Wolfheart. Some of their best and most iconic material. It's an example of a band changing styles and making it work well. It is on par with Wolfheart and who knows, it may eventually become my favourite.  

1. Wolfheart

The title says it all. It has a raw, bestial quality but also it's full of emotion and passion. It may not flow as well as Irreligious but I find I just cannot pick against this one. Wolfshade, Vampiria, An Erotic Alchemy... so many great songs. Between gothic, black and folk influences it really has a dark and unique atmosphere to it that reminds me of winter nights. 

On 9/7/2017 at 3:34 AM, Requiem said:

Now I know what your top four is - only I don't know the order. I wonder if I can guess. 

The surprise here for me is the high placing of 'The Butterfly Effect'! Number 6(66)! I agree with the way you describe it as a companion to 'Sin/Pecado', but for me where 'Sin' is cool and classy, 'Butterfly' ain't. It's a really fun album though. 

Come on then, Alfred, let's see the rest. ;)

Yes, The Butterfly Effect is a strange one. If it wasn't for the fact that Moonspell is an established band with many albums it would fit right in with those forgotten and obscure oddity bands that have only released one album; the kind of CD you find for $5 and take a chance in buying it but end up really enjoying it. That's what it reminds me of.  

4. Extinct

When Extinct first came out I got nothing out of either of the singles; both seemed like commercial takes upon their usual goth rock indulgence and admiration. And any pre-conceived notions that I held from the album’s promotion seemed to only be exacerbated upon first hearing the album in its entirety. However, a couple of months ago my curiosity was piqued when it became evident to me that a surprising amount of Moonspell fans emphatically praised this album. I’m glad I decided to recently re-visit this album and subsequently I’ve spent a lot of time listening to it since because with each new listen I could tell that there was potential being further realized. 

The album flows nicely and I would argue too that the production on Extinct is the best they’ve ever had. It’s clean and layered well without being too overproduced and gives the album a beautiful but atmospheric quality. Malignia might be my favourite. I love the waltzing beat of La Baphomette but I wish it was longer. This album is still growing on me. 

3. Memorial

This is the main reason why I became a Moonspell fan. I used to often seek out 'dark' and 'gothic' metal and had heard a lot of good things about Moonspell. Their fans seemed passionate as well. However, what I had heard was material from The Antidote and maybe Darkness and Hope which didn't do much for me at all. I listened to Memorial when it came out attempting to give them another chance and wasn't immediately won over. Some time shortly after I saw the video for Finisterra and it seemed to reinvigorate my interest. With subsequent listens I began to like it more and more. The album's songs may not all be strong on their own but collectively they give the album a cohesive, ghostly quality that is pretty captivating and haunting. Whenever I listen to the album on my ipod I add on Atlantic and Phantom North to make the album a 69 minute epic.   

2. Irreligious

This album basically has it all. Great songs, lots of variety, always engaging, flows well. I always have a difficult time choosing between this and Wolfheart. Some of their best and most iconic material. It's an example of a band changing styles and making it work well. It is on par with Wolfheart and who knows, it may eventually become my favourite.  

1. Wolfheart

The title says it all. It has a raw, bestial quality but also it's full of emotion and passion. It may not flow as well as Irreligious but I find I just cannot pick against this one. Wolfshade, Vampiria, An Erotic Alchemy... so many great songs. Between gothic, black and folk influences it really has a dark and unique atmosphere to it that reminds me of winter nights. 

Yes, The Butterfly Effect is a strange one. If it wasn't for the fact that Moonspell is an established band with many albums it would fit right in with those forgotten and obscure oddity bands that have only released one album; the kind of CD you find for $5 and take a chance in buying it but end up really enjoying it. That's what it reminds me of.  

Excellent. This is a good list and I enjoyed the explanations. Good call regarding 'Butterfly..' it really does seems like it could be a stand alone album that got a lot of buzz at the time of release etc. The distance between 'Memorial' and 'Night Eternal' surprises me a little as I see them being fairly close in style and scope, although I definitely agree that 'Memorial' is the superior album. 

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Excellent. This is a good list and I enjoyed the explanations. Good call regarding 'Butterfly..' it really does seems like it could be a stand alone album that got a lot of buzz at the time of release etc. The distance between 'Memorial' and 'Night Eternal' surprises me a little as I see them being fairly close in style and scope, although I definitely agree that 'Memorial' is the superior album. 

I agree with you but I think you've partly described the (minor) issue that I have with Night Eternal. In a way, it's like a lesser version of Memorial. Memorial is more ambitious, more exciting, has a greater atmosphere and is more balanced. I don't think Night Eternal has any bad songs but the second half isn't as strong. For example, Moon in Mercury has good moments but lacks a decent chorus and so it comes off as being a rather ugly song, almost like a b-side from Memorial. I think Moonspell could've spent more time with the Night Eternal songs and maybe the production could have been a bit better. I'd probably give Night Eternal an 8/10 and Memorial maybe a 9/10 (at most) so it isn't a huge difference. 

I agree with you but I think you've partly described the (minor) issue that I have with Night Eternal. In a way, it's like a lesser version of Memorial. Memorial is more ambitious, more exciting, has a greater atmosphere and is more balanced. I don't think Night Eternal has any bad songs but the second half isn't as strong. For example, Moon in Mercury has good moments but lacks a decent chorus and so it comes off as being a rather ugly song, almost like a b-side from Memorial. I think Moonspell could've spent more time with the Night Eternal songs and maybe the production could have been a bit better. I'd probably give Night Eternal an 8/10 and Memorial maybe a 9/10 (at most) so it isn't a huge difference. 

Same here regarding the rankings. If I didn't have so many new CDs to listen to I'd break out 'Memorial' now and give it a listen. Actually what I might do is put it in my car for this week's commute playlist. On 'Moon and Mercury', I think the chorus is really cool. It's obviously not too challenging in that it simply repeats the title, but it's heavy and gets me moving. 

What we should have done is assign each album a score out of 10. Is that going too far? 

Also, I've written a whole heap of Top 10s in a couple of threads in the General Music Discussion forum: namely the Top 10 of Any Given Year where I covered 1991-2016 and Top 10 of Any Given Concept and Genre where I'm posting all kinds of wacky stuff. A lot of gothic metal comes through in my lists, of course, so check it out if you feel like it. It would be cool to see some of your lists in those forums too, although seeing how long it takes you to mince out a Moonspell ranking I won't be offended if you gracefully decline. ;)