Jump to content
Requiem

Moonspell - Portugal's Finest

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Same here regarding the rankings. If I didn't have so many new CDs to listen to I'd break out 'Memorial' now and give it a listen. Actually what I might do is put it in my car for this week's commute playlist. On 'Moon and Mercury', I think the chorus is really cool. It's obviously not too challenging in that it simply repeats the title, but it's heavy and gets me moving. 

What we should have done is assign each album a score out of 10. Is that going too far? 

Also, I've written a whole heap of Top 10s in a couple of threads in the General Music Discussion forum: namely the Top 10 of Any Given Year where I covered 1991-2016 and Top 10 of Any Given Concept and Genre where I'm posting all kinds of wacky stuff. A lot of gothic metal comes through in my lists, of course, so check it out if you feel like it. It would be cool to see some of your lists in those forums too, although seeing how long it takes you to mince out a Moonspell ranking I won't be offended if you gracefully decline. ;) 

Ideally, I would like to rate and rank every album I own but that might take me another century! 

 

Here are some rough ratings. Rated Alpha Noir and Omega White separately.

Wolfheart (9.5)

Irreligious (9.5)

Memorial (9)

Extinct (9)

Under Satanae (9)

The Butterfly Effect (8.5)

Sin/Pecado (8)

Night Eternal (8)

Omega White (8)

Alpha Noir (7.5)

Darkness and Hope (7.5 ...or 8?)

The Antidote (7 ...or 7.5?)

 

 

I'll check out your lists and see what I can come up with. It sounds like I've got a lot of reading to do!  

I may rank/rate the My Dying Bride catalogue next! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

Ok, here are my ratings out of ten for the albums: 

 

6.5/10 - The Butterfly Effect (1999)

7/10 - Alpha Noir/Omega White (2012)

7.5/10 - The Antidote (2003)

8/10 - Extinct (2015)

8/10 - Sin/Pecado (1998)

8.5/10 - Darkness and Hope (2001)

8.5/10 - Night Eternal (2008)

9/10 - Under Satanae (2007* 1993-1994)

9/10 - Memorial (2006)

9.5/10 - Wolfheart (1995)

10/10-  Irreligious (1996)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Ok, here are my ratings out of ten for the albums: 

 

6.5/10 - The Butterfly Effect (1999)

7/10 - Alpha Noir/Omega White (2012)

7.5/10 - The Antidote (2003)

8/10 - Extinct (2015)

8/10 - Sin/Pecado (1998)

8.5/10 - Darkness and Hope (2001)

8.5/10 - Night Eternal (2008)

9/10 - Under Satanae (2007* 1993-1994)

9/10 - Memorial (2006)

9.5/10 - Wolfheart (1995)

10/10-  Irreligious (1996)

Interesting ratings. I should ask you what your ratings mean in context.

For me:  

6 = it's o-k with some level of appeal.

7 = I generally like it but with some clear issues that hold it back.

8 = I really like it despite some minor issues.

9 = a minor favourite of mine, no serious flaws.  

10 = all time favourite, of personal significance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

Interesting ratings. I should ask you what your ratings mean in context.

For me:  

6 = it's o-k with some level of appeal.

7 = I generally like it but with some clear issues that hold it back.

8 = I really like it despite some minor issues.

9 = a minor favourite of mine, no serious flaws.  

10 = all time favourite, of personal significance. 

Yeah, this is pretty close.

6 = A respectable album that doesn't bring me back too often, although if asked I will say I do quite like. 

7 = A good album with some minor flaws. An every now and then album but one held fondly.

8 = A solid, enjoyable album that I regularly go back to. Strong emotional effect. 

9 = A minor favourite that transcends 99% of albums out there. World class. 

10 =  An all time personal favourite. A classic of deep personal significance that transcends the notes played. 

Edit: Now we are rating our ratings. I think we have a problem... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Yeah, this is pretty close.

6 = A respectable album that doesn't bring me back too often, although if asked I will say I do quite like. 

7 = A good album with some minor flaws. An every now and then album but one held fondly.

8 = A solid, enjoyable album that I regularly go back to. Strong emotional effect. 

9 = A minor favourite that transcends 99% of albums out there. World class. 

10 =  An all time personal favourite. A classic of deep personal significance that transcends the notes played. 

Edit: Now we are rating our ratings. I think we have a problem... 

True, but I came up with ratings and explanations in record time! Just thought I'd ask because people's rating 'scale' can vary wildly. 

On a related note: With favourite bands I tend to give their worst albums a lot of listens before dismissing them entirely. A disappointing album by a favourite band could still get a high score because I know that compared to everything else out there the intrinsic qualities of a favourite band could still win me over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

True, but I came up with ratings and explanations in record time! Just thought I'd ask because people's rating 'scale' can vary wildly. 

On a related note: With favourite bands I tend to give their worst albums a lot of listens before dismissing them entirely. A disappointing album by a favourite band could still get a high score because I know that compared to everything else out there the intrinsic qualities of a favourite band could still win me over. 

Absolutely. I'm willing to give these albums repeated listens whereas other bands' weak albums I might move on from sooner. This is in part due to the fact that even weaker albums created by band members that I respect and admire are still interesting to me on some level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Absolutely. I'm willing to give these albums repeated listens whereas other bands' weak albums I might move on from sooner. This is in part due to the fact that even weaker albums created by band members that I respect and admire are still interesting to me on some level. 

I thought you might agree with that. 

Going back to Moonspell, have you seen the bonus DVD that comes with Extinct? If so, what do you think of it?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I thought you might agree with that. 

Going back to Moonspell, have you seen the bonus DVD that comes with Extinct? If so, what do you think of it?  

 

I played it through once and can't remember much about it apart from a few experts talking about the environment. I guess that means it didn't really blow me away. I blame the internet - if I wasn't wasting time on here I would have watched it three or four times and be able to say something salient about it. What did you think of it? 

I actually really like studio documentaries but I keep forgetting to watch them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Requiem said:

I played it through once and can't remember much about it apart from a few experts talking about the environment. I guess that means it didn't really blow me away. I blame the internet - if I wasn't wasting time on here I would have watched it three or four times and be able to say something salient about it. What did you think of it? 

I actually really like studio documentaries but I keep forgetting to watch them.

I enjoyed it. It's nothing amazing but an 80 minute bonus DVD is pretty worthwhile. I always like 'making of' documentaries and seeing the passion and so forth from bands. I had seen part of it on youtube and that is mostly what prompted me to buy that edition. The bonus tracks are decent re-workings of album songs but that wasn't really enough to persuade me especially when the album cover is even worse than on the standard edition...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/09/2017 at 10:29 PM, Vampyrique said:

I enjoyed it. It's nothing amazing but an 80 minute bonus DVD is pretty worthwhile. I always like 'making of' documentaries and seeing the passion and so forth from bands. I had seen part of it on youtube and that is mostly what prompted me to buy that edition. The bonus tracks are decent re-workings of album songs but that wasn't really enough to persuade me especially when the album cover is even worse than on the standard edition...  

When you say bonus tracks do you mean the fairly boring remixes? Oh man, metal bands that remix their tracks into electronic/dance music are making a big mistake. I can't listen to the remixes on 'Extinct'. 

I actually took that album back into my car the other day. I definitely really like the first half, and of course 'La Baphomette', although the second half of the album is a bit bland. Filler really. I just think that overall 'Extinct' doesn't quite have the excitement  going for it at times.  Considering it's only ten songs long I really think they should have nailed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Requiem said:

When you say bonus tracks do you mean the fairly boring remixes? Oh man, metal bands that remix their tracks into electronic/dance music are making a big mistake. I can't listen to the remixes on 'Extinct'. 

I actually took that album back into my car the other day. I definitely really like the first half, and of course 'La Baphomette', although the second half of the album is a bit bland. Filler really. I just think that overall 'Extinct' doesn't quite have the excitement  going for it at times.  Considering it's only ten songs long I really think they should have nailed it. 

The bonus tracks sound like the product of a band bored in studio rather than a David Vincent signature special. Nothing too extreme here. More like "how about we try this here instead of that" which isn't too bad. I've heard too many awful metal remixes in my life and these are relatively innocuous by comparison. 

One of the reasons I like the album is because they wear their goth influences on their sleeve but it's done in a great way that mixes well with Moonspell's style and doesn't sound like a cheesy imitation (which I've heard too many bands do over the years). For example, Medusalem sounds like The Sisters of Mercy which I can appreciate. 

But Regarding the second half: A Dying Breed is kinda meh. I like the intro and outro but sounds like b-side material. Otherwise, I like the second half albeit maybe not as much as the first half. Malignia is a beautiful song in my opinion. Funeral Bloom sounds like Fields of the Nephilim. The Future Is Dark sounds like The Cure. La Baphomette is excellent, wish it was longer. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok it's time to talk about the golden elephant in the room. 

Moonspell's 11th album was released a few weeks ago and it has shaken my world. 

'1755' is a concept album based around the earthquake that destroyed most of Lisbon in that year. And this album is absolutely amazing. In fact, I was debating with myself for a long time (mass debating) about whether it was their second best or actual best - I'm sticking with their second best because I still think 'Irreligious' holds the all time title for me. 

Anyway, '1755' is close to perfect. The opening track is an orchestral version (with vocals) of 'Em Nome Dom Medo', a song that previously appeared in metal form on the 'Alpha Noir/Omega White' release. This version is just next level emotional orchestration. 

The rest of the album is heavier than their previous 'Extinct', but also much catchier at the same time. Tracks like 'Evento' (Event) and 'Desastre' (Disaster) are just anthems. The latter has an almost 'Night Eternal' vibe but simply slays anything on 'Night Eternal'.

95% of the vocals are growled with a female choir regularly making an appearance. 'In Tremor Dei' also contains guest vocals from a Portuguese singer who just brings such an evocative atmosphere to that song. All of the lyrics are in Portuguese with a little bit of Latin here and there. The 24 page booklet that comes with the CD version contains all the lyrics in both Portuguese and their English translations. And the poetry at work here is just next level. Fernando Rebeiro has outdone himself. It's also amazing to trace the theme from pre-quake, the quake, and post-quake. 

The whole focus on Lisbon and Portugal is just so exciting as a theme. I love Portugal, having spent about a week there back in the day, and the rhythms and melodies here really evoke the culture, architecture and landscape. Just amazing. Where does this rate in my albums of the year list? I'll be posting that in the appropriate forum later in December. For now, this album needs to be heard by everyone everywhere. 

Warning: Slightly graphic scenes of news footage.

IT'S DAYLIGHT IN PORTUGAL! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2017 at 7:53 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Sounds pretty good. I should probably hear the rest before passing judgment, but I didn't think it was anything to blow your load over, the it was enjoyable.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
 

I’m talking about the whole album fully digested as a Moonspell fan. Casual listeners who hear one track once may not feel the same way. Personally I think ‘Todos os Santos’ is an amazing song and definitely worth load blowing. To me it’s exactly what loads should be blown over in music.

The structure, detail and flow of the album is just  next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Your Ad Here
    Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
  • Our picks

    • There's life in the old dog yet it seems.  It terms of original members only Phil Fasciana remains in the ranks of Malevolent Creation now and after the passing of Brett Hoffman last year you could almost forgive fans for thinking the curtain had fallen on Malevolent Creation.  The fact is that whilst "The 13th Beast" reinvents no wheels it does exhibit the sound of a band in the throes of something of a regeneration phase.  There's nothing tired sounding here, no dull interludes to build unnecessary atmosphere.  As soon as the spoken word intro to "End the Torture" finishes it is straight up thrashing death metal until the very end, some 11 tracks later.

      Although all debuting in the Malevolent full length stakes here, the 3 musicians that join Fasciana on this record are all clearly capable and qualified purveyors of their art form.  Again, I highlight that this is not far above your average DM record yet it is so assured and solid you can easily forgive it to some degree.  Lee Wollenschlaeger gives a good acquittal of himself as an established and competent vocalist, filling Hoffman's shoes nicely.  Phil Cancilla is a machine on those skins, blasting his way across the soundscape yet also using the percussion well when the occasional let up in the pace permits.  Fasciana and Wollenschlaeger work well together to keep the chug of the riffs motoring along whilst Gibbs plonks, twangs and rumbles his way through every track, allowed to be heard in the mix and show his variety without ever showboating.  For a band together for only 2 years as a four piece they sound tight and committed.

      There's no metal fan worth the denim their patches are sewn onto that doesn't look at that album cover and mouth a "fuck me, dude!"  I mean, come on, it is fucking awesome.  Like a more ornamental Predator head on a ghostly green background.  I love it when album covers are matched by the content of the record inside, and whilst there are obviously some shortfalls here, still in the main "The 13th Beast" delivers.  When they keep the track length short and succinct, Malevolent Creation are at their best.  "The Beast Awakened", "Agony for the Chosen" and "Knife at Hand" all kick serious ass.  By the same token "Born of Pain" at nearly 7 minutes long doesn't really do anything or go anywhere to justify the length attributed to it.

      Overall, I would have preferred a shorter record.  At 11 tracks the band cover a lot of ground in under 50 minutes but not all of it really needs treading.  That withstanding, never does it get grating and still the accessibility factor remains consistent enough to forgive the extra excursions present.

      So, having started slowly, January 2019 has finally delivered something worthwhile and a first physical purchase also of a new release for this year.  3/5

       
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • Variety is the spice of life, so they say.  Someone might want to mention this to Legion of the Damned.  Picking up right were Venom left off last week in the the generic stakes, "Slaves of the Shadow Realm" churns out a largely unvaried, unremarkable and unmemorable thrash metal with the odd splash of death and black metal smatterings here and there.  To give you some idea of how hard going this is I have to wait three whole tracks to here a lead guitar!  I love good chug fest as much as the next man but when it is the only flavour in the dish its impact on the palette diminishes quickly.

      I can't honestly tell if the album is supposed to be one long song accidentally edited to give gaps to give the illusion of it being several tracks?  Some tracks just start very lazy (Slaves of the Southern Cross) whilst others just allude to some slight break of pace from the previous track before going off on the exact same pace, in the exact same direction (Nocturnal Commando).

      The frustration is that when they get it at least half right and vary things just a touch, they can put together some enjoyable pieces (Warhounds of Hades) but the memorability factor still struggles to register much above a 0, even in these moments.


      By far the pinnacle of the record is "Black Banners in Flames", a menacing thrasher of a track that allows for some relent in the ferocity stakes to apply some melody to create that aforementioned menace.  Otherwise I feel that I have had a sub par meal at a restaurant.  The chefs are perfectly competent (no Michelin stars here though folks) and the ingredients are all of reasonable quality, sourced responsibly enough, but there's little attempt at seasoning and so everything just seems bland.  It sounds like the vocalist is holding this together really.  Swinkels performance on all tracks is obviously a notch up from his band mates' which is a shame because he deserves better really.



      2/5 (2019 is not starting well)
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • 37 years on, can Venom still cut it? Find out here:
      https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/40-venom-storm-the-gates/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • At the start of pulling this list together I had thought it to have been a "light" year for BM releases.  It was only when I got into compiling my "Best of 2018" that I realised it had in fact been quite a good year.  2018 in BM saw the return of some well established acts, some of them doing what they have always done well whereas others took to the recording studios minus long standing members.  When all is said and done, I think it all turned out rather well.

      Click the link to read more.

      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • It was 2014 when Corpsessed released their debut full length and mighty fucking good it was too.  Some 4+ years later and it is time for the sophomore release to land in my music stream and seek my attention.  When I say seek I actually mean possess my attention.  Although the album is by no means perfect, this record grabs hold of you by your very soul, dragging it off on a journey littered with horror, darkness and crushing heaviness to boot.  One of its main successes is the atmosphere that is obvious from the opening of "Impetus of  the Dead" and plays an integral part over the remainder of the release.

      It is a very well structured album too, with strong song writing that layers tracks up to behemoth size and proportions.  Yet at the same time there's a real sense of balance too, for every cavernous and mammoth like structure there's shorter and more intense bursts that whilst moving the pace slightly away from the heaviness, don't distract too much from it.  "Paroxsymal" and "Sortilege" are great examples of this, two well placed tracks that add a variety to the pace and increase the memorability of the whole experience.


      The album only has two weak points for me.  The penultimate track on the record seems just a random and not altogether necessary inclusion, especially given the quality of "Forlorn Burial" before it and the vast ending of "Starless Event Horizon" after it.  Secondly, the production does seem to give off a muddled sound on some tracks although the horror of the atmosphere and those lead guitars certainly do rescue the day on more than one occasion.  In a year that has struggled overall to bring many standout DM records, "Impetus of Death" will be a welcome addition to any fan's Top 10 DM Albums of 2018 no doubt.  It is one of the stronger records of 2018 and also a fine step up from their debut offering also which makes me excited for album number 3.

       

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
×