Hailz

True Infernal Hails from Vinland, my friends! Er... hi? Yeah. Hi. That'll work. Anyway, um... a bit about me: I am a nearly 30 year old American male of primarily Polish ancestry. I'm interested in many things. Philosophy, Mythology, The Occult, Comedy, Poetry, History, Science and Neoclassical Shred Guitar being just a few of my interests. I work in retail. I'm currently trying to learn Polish. I'm a slightly oldschool dude who finds much of the current obsession with newfangled genres to be inane, inaccurate and unnecessary. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as "Pirate Metal" or "Blackened (insert other genre here) Metal" (Sorry, but Skeletonwitch was always Death Metal). Also most bands that people* refer to as "melodic" or "symphonic" tend not to actually be that. And don't even get me started on "Prog". Ugh! So, I like to keep things simple. Heavy Metal. Thrash. Death/Black Metal. Grindcore. Nu Metal. And I could probably add more to that. But I just don't care enough right now. Now, I don't particularly like Nu Metal. But it's better than screamo and all that garbage like Bullet for my Valentine or Whitechapel. I do like the classics. Anything considered a classic metal band, from Deep Purple and Alice Cooper to Slayer and Morbid Angel, is probably something I like. I also like classic roack and have a deep appreciation for all of the rock that lead up to Metal. So if I try to list everything I like, we'll be here for ages. Because of that, I'm just going to list (in totally random order) all of the bands that I have shirts and/or patches from. Slayer Black Sabbath Drudkh Genitorturers Nile Death Morbid Angel Anthrax Dio Ghost Immortal Behemoth Emperor Darkthrone King Diamond Bal-Sagoth Striborg Testament Arkona Ghost Nokturnal Mortum Limbonic Art Mythrias Graveworm Carach Angren Warbringer Skeletonwitch Dark Tranquility Goatwhore Queensryche & The Haunted

Welcome. We get into genre discussions sometimes' date=' but it's not a primary concern [i']for most of us... I do think there's a place for some of the extra descriptors you hate. Whatever. Nice list, I dig quite a few of those bands and only hate one or two of them outright. :D If you play, feel free to post some of your stuff. Cheers.
I wonder if they're the same two that I hate outright from that list... [emoji12] Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Also, welcome. Like FA, I dig a number of those bands. We tend to be easy going and interested in multiple styles of metal, in addition to other music, and can shoot the shit regarding a number of topics. Feel free to dig into the discussions and/or check out the recommendations threads in the genre sections. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hey Ignis, welcome to the forum. Do you wear many of those patches on a single Kutte? My fathers father was a Jew from Poland. I like the traditional doom sound, and I listen to some power metal, and some silly glam Metalish rock. I like Dio. How come you don't have a Maiden patch dude, what is up with that? I do not have any patches period, but they interest me. I once saw a UFO patch on E-bay and wished I owned it. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Thank you. Awesome stuff. I have a lot to check out, I guess. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you guys are either hating Genitorturers & Ghost or Nokturnal Mortum and Striborg. Just a guess. Unfortunately,* I don't play. I'm just a fan. I do write poetry/lyrics from time to time, though. And yeah, I have all of those minus the last seven & Mythrias on one battle jacket. With doubles of Nile, Behemoth and Drudkh. And a Polish Eagle patch. Yeah, I know. I don't have patches from Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Helloween, Skid Row, W.A.S.P., Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Venom, Bathory, Exodus, Pantera, Yngwie Malmsteen or any of those guys. I'm working on it, though. But at the same time I want patches from other bands that I'm into that noone's ever heard of. Like Starkill, WelicoRuss, Percival Schuttenbach, Conquering Dystopia, Crystal Viper, Blotted Science, Morhana, Across the Sun, Svarga, Drygva, Vektor, Midnight, Darzamat, Stribog, Interitus and Heironymus Bosch. And with only one battle jacket, what is one to do? Anyway, thanks again for all the welcoming. This place seems pretty cool.

Thank you. Awesome stuff. I have a lot to check out, I guess. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you guys are either hating Genitorturers & Ghost or Nokturnal Mortum and Striborg. Just a guess. Unfortunately,* I don't play. I'm just a fan. I do write poetry/lyrics from time to time, though. And yeah, I have all of those minus the last seven & Mythrias on one battle jacket. With doubles of Nile, Behemoth and Drudkh. And a Polish Eagle patch. Yeah, I know. I don't have patches from Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Helloween, Skid Row, W.A.S.P., Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Venom, Bathory, Exodus, Pantera, Yngwie Malmsteen or any of those guys. I'm working on it, though. But at the same time I want patches from other bands that I'm into that noone's ever heard of. Like Starkill, WelicoRuss, Percival Schuttenbach, Conquering Dystopia, Crystal Viper, Blotted Science, Morhana, Across the Sun, Svarga, Drygva, Vektor, Midnight, Darzamat, Stribog, Interitus and Heironymus Bosch. And with only one battle jacket, what is one to do? Anyway, thanks again for all the welcoming. This place seems pretty cool.
No, for me it was Skeletonwitch and Warbringer. Retro thrash is largely a steaming pile of excrement AFAIC, though there are a couple of exceptions. I'm not familiar with The Genitortures other than knowing of David Vincent's involvement, and I've only ever heard a couple of Ghost tracks, which I remember being ok I suppose. I'm big on Nokturnal Mortum, but not familiar with Striborg. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Props for the Vektor shout-out. Hope they put out a new record soon.

No, for me it was Skeletonwitch and Warbringer. Retro thrash is largely a steaming pile of excrement AFAIC, though there are a couple of exceptions. I'm not familiar with The Genitortures other than knowing of David Vincent's involvement, and I've only ever heard a couple of Ghost tracks, which I remember being ok I suppose. I'm big on Nokturnal Mortum, but not familiar with Striborg. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I don't even consider Skeletonwitch thrash. The were always just deathmetal with cool guitar leads to me. Except that now they're just deathmetal. Love Warbringer. They have talent and play what I* want to hear. At least for their first four albums. Nokturnal Mortum rock. I like their older stuff with Slavic myth as a major theme more than their more recent stuff with more Norse influence, though. Striborg is pretty cool. It's a one man black metal project from Australia. Really atmospheric.
Hello and welcome. I quite like Striborg.
Sweet. I was just listening to A Lonely Walk in a Desolate Cold Pine Forest.
Props for the Vektor shout-out. Hope they put out a new record soon.
Likewise. Outer Isolation was killer.

I don't even consider Skeletonwitch thrash. The were always just deathmetal with cool guitar leads to me. Except that now they're just deathmetal. Love Warbringer. They have talent and play what I* want to hear. At least for their first four albums. Nokturnal Mortum rock. I like their older stuff with Slavic myth as a major theme more than their more recent stuff with more Norse influence, though. Striborg is pretty cool. It's a one man black metal project from Australia. Really atmospheric. Sweet. I was just listening to A Lonely Walk in a Desolate Cold Pine Forest. Likewise. Outer Isolation was killer.
There's not really any death metal in Skeletonwitch's sound either. To me, they sound like a band of metalcore fans who had someone describe to them what black/thrash sounds like, and they decided to try their hand at it without actually having heard it. Some of the elements are there, but there's a naivete (not in a good way) and a lack of context to the way the music is constructed and arranged that sounds to me like they are just jumping on the bandwagon, and don't have any real feeling for the music that they're creating. Warbringer, however, is actual hero worship, and you can tell that they love what they do. The problem with that is that they have no identity, and seem content with following paths already blazed by others, and play it way too safe by "following all of the rules". The problem with most retro thrash isn't conviction, it's that it wants to live in the past without ever having been there. The best bands to play older sounds are the ones that try to make their own way at it, sounding like a contemporary to those artists, instead of kids riding a trend. Anyway, rant over. Thrash isn't the only one to blame, retro heavy metal is every bit as bad, as are some retro doom and death metal acts. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Black Future was pretty Badass too. The vocals took me a while to groove on but Vektor's musicianship was enough to keep me coming back. Honestly the high screeches still bug me a bit but whatever. Don't know if you'd call Ritual Carnage and Mastery "retro thrash" or not but they sit very comfortably with most of their peers.

There's not really any death metal in Skeletonwitch's sound either. To me, they sound like a band of metalcore fans who had someone describe to them what black/thrash sounds like, and they decided to try their hand at it without actually having heard it. Some of the elements are there, but there's a naivete (not in a good way) and a lack of context to the way the music is constructed and arranged that sounds to me like they are just jumping on the bandwagon, and don't have any real feeling for the music that they're creating. Warbringer, however, is actual hero worship, and you can tell that they love what they do. The problem with that is that they have no identity, and seem content with following paths already blazed by others, and play it way too safe by "following all of the rules". The problem with most retro thrash isn't conviction, it's that it wants to live in the past without ever having been there. The best bands to play older sounds are the ones that try to make their own way at it, sounding like a contemporary to those artists, instead of kids riding a trend. Anyway, rant over. Thrash isn't the only one to blame, retro heavy metal is every bit as bad, as are some retro doom and death metal acts. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Dude, how can you say there's no Death metal in Skeletonwitch? That's all they ever were. See, this is why I hate subgenres. it's gotten to the pointwhere people actually forget about the music in order to over-classify a sound. Like it's music, dude. It doesn't need all that. And now it's to the point where people are afraid of letting things get any attention that don't fit within these neatly defined little categories of fakeness. Like that's not metal. That's anti-metal. That's pop. And pop sucks. From the fact that speed metal and power metal used to be synonymous with thrash metal. And from the fact that grindcore used to be synonymous with death metal. And from the fact that death metal was essentially just amped-up-thrash-with-growls from it's origins in the band Death. To the point where Slayer was often referred to as death metal throughout the 80s and 90s, and nobody had a problem with that. Thence do I draw my conclusions on genre and where Skeletonwitch fits within it. As for Warbringer, good on them. At least somebody can do what Metallica and Megadeth can't anymore. And they do it well. They're fun to listen to, they can play and I like their lyrics. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Dude, how can you say there's no Death metal in Skeletonwitch? That's all they ever were. See, this is why I hate subgenres. it's gotten to the pointwhere people actually forget about the music in order to over-classify a sound. Like it's music, dude. It doesn't need all that. And now it's to the point where people are afraid of letting things get any attention that don't fit within these neatly defined little categories of fakeness. Like that's not metal. That's anti-metal. That's pop. And pop sucks. From the fact that speed metal and power metal used to be synonymous with thrash metal. And from the fact that grindcore used to be synonymous with death metal. And from the fact that death metal was essentially just amped-up-thrash-with-growls from it's origins in the band Death. To the point where Slayer was often referred to as death metal throughout the 80s and 90s, and nobody had a problem with that. Thence do I draw my conclusions on genre and where Skeletonwitch fits within it. As for Warbringer, good on them. At least somebody can do what Metallica and Megadeth can't anymore. And they do it well. They're fun to listen to, they can play and I like their lyrics. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I can say that there's no death metal in their sound because there isn't. There are no death metal riffs, no death metal drumming, no death metal vocals, no death metal atmosphere, nothing. And no, I'm not forgetting about the music to "overclassify" (what does that even mean?) their sound, I have listened to their music and seen them live, which is why I have classified and described them the way that I have. And no, that is not why I don't like them, as I'm a massive fan of black metal, thrash metal, and death metal, so wherever they may fall on the spectrum has no bearing on whether I like them or not, just on where their sound actually lies. What is truly not metal is not being able to have an adult conversation without a temper tantrum about a band that you like not being death metal. I don't care whether you like them or not, that has nothing to do with what they sound like. The music media is largely to blame for genre confusion, as they really don't give a shit about metal and will call something whatever they feel like if it helps them sell. Just look at genre tags like nu-metal and glam metal, created by the media to erroneously group those bands in with metal bands who they sound nothing like. Speed metal and power metal were never the same as each other, nor the same is thrash metal, but there are a lot of bands that mix elements from more than one of those, and/or bands that have started as one and become another over time. And no, grindcore and death metal were never the same, they were just getting signed by a lot of the same labels, and death metal is far more than just "amped up thrash". That's the real problem, focusing on aesthetic stereotypes that don't even apply to all of the bands in a sound, instead of listening to what they're actually writing and where their roots lie. Slayer are often referred to as death metal because they were influential toward death metal, but by the time they had adopted the sound that would influence death metal, death metal was already up and running with bands like Possessed, Master/Death Strike, Sadistik Exekution, Insanity, Xecutioner/Obituary, Corpse/Grave, R.A.V.A.G.E./Atheist, Nihilist/Entombed, Hellwitch, Necrophagia, Macabre, etc... Either way, there is nothing to tie Skeletonwitch to death metal, as even if they did sound like Slayer as would seem to be your point, they would still be a thrash metal band, and a very poor one at that. Also, just because classic bands "can't" do thrash anymore (Overkill, Destruction, and others have certainly proven that wrong) doesn't mean that half- assed clone bands should get more praise than they deserve. Just because a sound largely died out doesn't mean that mediocre bands should be consumed with the same fervor as trail blazers just because of a lack of competition. Again, I have no problem with bands playing well explored styles, but there's a big difference between walking in Exodus' shadow (which ironically puts bands like Warbringer into a category that you bitched about above, that of having to forget about the music in order to fit the genre tag that they want), and writing something original in a familiar style. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hating genre distinctions isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just make sure it's directed to those that deserve it. Pirate metal, nu-metal, norsecore, they don't deserve to be considered genres because there's no unifying traits. Death metal, Viking metal, Progressive metal, they have characteristics which immediately mark bands as belonging to that style. I.e. the epic, triumphant, atmosphere of Viking metal as seen on Hammerheart, Hin Vordende Sod & So, Frost, and other such albums.