mainstream success and metal...

metal_nerve

metal was never about mainstream success and never will be.
80's tend to disagree... There have been loads of "mainstream" metal acts in the 80's. Motley Crue, ratt, cinderella, WASP, metallica...Unfotunatelly whatever becomes so mainstream and there's gazzilions of money involved, it becomes shitty sooner or later. That is mainly because the record companies think they can just create millions of copycats (look at Poison), and drown in money. The result was that people grew tired of it and moved somewhere else (pop rock & grunge...)I don't have problem with something just because it is mainstream. That is just stupid. Although the last time something was both good and mainstream (music - wise) it was back in 89? .. Maybe with super small exceptions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You been debating with people on the Huffington Post's Facebook page as well? ;)
:lol: No sir, I stay the fuck away from those. I still read through comments on "news" websites, but I stopped commenting a while ago. Far be it from me to trample on Deeply Held Beliefs, or try to use facts against an argument rooted in group loyalty. :D

Oh boy, this thread is so much more fun now that everybody's pissed! :P I'm in my element here! :mrgreen:tumblr_mdve9p2mfj1r3ifxzo1_500.gif

it was just an opinion. i think everybody is entitled to think what they want. so why don't you just calm the fuck down huh.
And that opinion was ill-considered, myopic, poorly explained and unsupported. If you would like to contradict my claim instead of making petulant protestations to courtesy, go right ahead. Free speech is a terrible thing to waste.
You think saying you're "entitled to think what you want" lets you say whatever you think' date=' and then tell everyone to shut up if they disagree? No, that's not how this works. I see people hiding behind the phrase "it's just my opinion" all the time and I'm fucking sick of it. We're just as "entitled" to tell you if your opinion sucks, or call you on it if you're basing your opinion on a lack of information. If your "opinion" consists of ignorant ranting, I'm not sure what you're doing on a discussion forum in the first place.[/quote'] Ayy-men. Preach it, fatha. This attitude persists at Georgetown and it's one of the things that me and my best friend hate...he's an avowed atheist but there's so much crap that pisses off the both of us that we get along marvelously. One example of something that irritated the both of us was the Plurality In Action workshop we had to do during orientation. There was plenty of dung being flung 'bout the auditorium but one particular phrase caught my attention; 'we all have different ideas, and all are equally valuable'. Well then, what in the glittering golden flighted fart nuggets am I doing shelling out $45,000 per annum to you feckless, spineless assclowns if I can just extract something from the wazoo and garner the same respect as an actual scholar?

:lol: No sir' date=' I stay the fuck away from those. I still read through comments on "news" websites, but I stopped commenting a while ago. Far be it from me to trample on Deeply Held Beliefs, or try to use facts against an argument rooted in group loyalty. :D[/quote']Fair enough. I only really do it when I feel I need to be reminded everyone has different opinions. You know, it's not like the very fact that someone disagrees with me is a reminder or anything. :lol: This seems relevant: 'You say Lil Wayne, I say NickelbackYou say Drake, I say Avenged SevenfoldYou say Niki Minaj, I say Five Finger Death Punch.Like this comment if you're one of the few teens that listens to REAL music.'

This site is driving me nuts. I can't see what I'm typing now, it's not putting line-spacing into my posts no matter how many times I press enter and, every time I'm signed out I can't click on anything on the left side of the screen because there's this big, fuck off image of Ozzy or Halforttaking up half the screen which, even more annoyingly, is a link to register! All I wanna do is click 'remember me' but it keeps taking me to the registration screen! I don't see why they're even there; if I wanna make a new account, I'll click register at the top!

This seems relevant: 'You say Lil Wayne' date=' I say NickelbackYou say Drake, I say Avenged SevenfoldYou say Niki Minaj, I say Five Finger Death Punch.Like this comment if you're one of the few teens that listens to REAL music.'[/quote'] I've seen that post far too many times... maybe I'm just being a titanic asshole but I can't help but snicker when teenagers say they're having Really Meaningful Experiences that have Changed Their Whole Lives. I thought it was asinine rubbish back when I was a teenager and I still think it's stupid now. I have to stay away from comment sections, because I have a tendency to pace about the room and rant to myself about how stupid a given comment is and why it's indicative of a broader and highly debilitating social and intellectual trend. Soon enough three hours have passed and I have to have a sit down and a snack.

from what i've learned as a metalhead over the years is that no matter how many decades go by i believe and trust that metal will still be what it is and it will keep motivating and inspiring us. there may be many mainstream bands who only care about their profits. but i can assure you true metal will never die. it's immortal. it's a way of life.(this is just my opinion)
**sighs** As much as you might want to believe we are all going to read this and throw horns up and gurn respectfully in the general direction of your post the reality (as you will have already gleaned) is very much different. Now, before you tell me it's just your opinion how's about you tell us how you got to this viewpoint? Post relevant "facts" or experiences that have lead you to this conclusion? Calling yourself a "metalhead" (a term which reflects a very narrow minded and singular view by it's very description) and applauding the genre isn't really my idea of a construct for a proper debate - even though you have got a few pages of response this is more to do with an ill-informed post on your part a opposed to any recognition of something of value having been said. For instance please clarify your definition of "true" metal, and who is to say that your definition is anymore valid than a fan of this (untrue?) "mainstream" metal. I like my music but I refrain from calling it a way of life. I get that through different experiences the value people attach to music varies and I acknowledge the escape it can offer. But music isn't about hacking strips off bands or challenging the validity of the stripes they have earned to get them wherever they are in the greater scheme of things. Music is about finding your niche and enjoying it. Any self-respecting fan of music doesn't care two shits what other people listen to. They just sit back and enjoy the music of their choice.

For instance please clarify your definition of "true" metal' date=' and who is to say that your definition is anymore valid than a fan of this (untrue?) "mainstream" metal.[/quote'] Anything death, black or thrash made prior to 1994. Also 5 Iron Maiden songs. Why? Because I heard it 56 times per day on Dithering Old Codger Classic Metal Radio and if it's not on there it's gotta be crap, 'coz the host said so.

there may be many mainstream bands who only care about their profits. but i can assure you true metal will never die. it's immortal. it's a way of life.(this is just my opinion)
its no use fighting over mainstream or any other genres of metal.
Wow, did you get whiplash from that 180-degree turn?

i just figured that we were fighting over a topic that was getting nowhere
Well, it could go somewhere if you'd bother to quantify what 'true metal' actually is like Macabre was suggesting, or for that matter defend anything you've said.

i never said i gave a damn about what other people listened to dude. and im not asking for anybody's respect or horns up. i just said what was in my mind that's all. if you wanna call me narrow minded for it go right ahead. i really couldn't give two shits. and i don't judge music by their genres. real metal to me is any metal music that has the originality and meaning of metal irrespective of the genre. maybe you're much more experienced in this field than i am man, maybe that's why what i say might feel like ignorance to you.