Most Promising Bands of 2013?

Gary The Red

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for Ghost, their name is unimaginative, their lyrics are nothing that hasn't been done before (and done better) and their musicianship leaves much to be desired so far as I'm concerned I'm excited for Nevertanezra's second album, new material from Avernus and the possibility of a new album from Melechesh there's also the new Megadeth but with an album title as stupid as Super Collider I'm not sure it'll be anything worth hearing

The new Ghost more than anything. Also the rumored Carcass album. Swansong got a lot of criticism, but I liked it.
I'm looking forward to seeing Ghost for the first time with Gojira in a few weeks. I can see RelentlessOblivion's point of view, but even though it may have been done better before, they do bring a sense of nostalgia, a hint of 60-70's psychedelia that influenced every groove laden band since. Original? No. Fun? Most definatley! As for Carcass, the first album I heard was Necroticism, mainly due to The Berzerkers cover of Corporal Jigsaw Quandary. Although I own Swansong, the only track I use to listen to was Keep On Rotting In The Free World, however, since their sets at Wacken and Damnation Fest..... its had many more spins! Anyway..... back to your point, a new Carcass album would be much appreciated, I'm just gutted I can't get down to London for their 3 nights at the Underworld :( \m/

I can't look that objectively at music (probably why I suck at writing reviews and such). Originality is great, but to me if something sounds good, and isn't a total rip off then familiarity isn't a problem. There's a million bands out there, it's not the easiest thing in the world to come up with something completely original. The first Carcass album I heard was Heartwork, and it still remains my favorite. Although I said I liked Swansong, I hope the new album will be likened more to Necroticism and/or Heartwork. I haven't taken the time to listen to Orphaned Land properly yet. I should do that soon

I enjoy Orphaned Land because I love hearing different influences in music, the way they incorporate traditional middle eastern scales and instruments into their sound is something really original and enjoyable, I've only managed to come across two of their albums (Mabool and The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR) so they are tough to track down, guess it's a good thing youtube is so damn easy to use

I don't care for Ghost' date=' their name is unimaginative, their lyrics are nothing that hasn't been done before (and done better) and their musicianship leaves much to be desired so far as I'm concerned[/quote'] +1!! I'm excited about the new Finntroll album. From what I've heard it sounds very promising. Also looking forward to hearing Hypocrisy's new album.

I don't usually get hyped for new releases, but this thread also states that live shows can be listed here, of which I will be seeing many. After being disappointed by Testament and Flotsam and Jetsam, I'm hoping the next few shows will be winners: Scott Kelly Master w/ Sacrificial Slaughter Nile Deceased w/ Gravehill Mutilation Rites Doom in June fest in Las Vegas featuring The Skull (some of Trouble's original lineup performing old Trouble songs), Manilla Road, Karma to Burn, and a slew of other stoner/doom bands Bolt Thrower w/ Benediction and Autopsy in Pomona, CA Also going to be hitting Denver Doomfest again this year. Hopefully we can get it arranged to play the gig, but if not we'll still be there to experience the mighty Evoken, as well as whatever other great bands they book this year.

.....I'm hoping the next few shows will be winners: Nile .......
I saw them live with a local band opening, then Hate Eternal, then Nile came on and absolutely pounded. Nearly everyone who attended was standing outside the venue doors chatting while the first two acts played in front of practically nobody. When Nile started, the little basement was packed, and the difference in sound was incredible. It was like the sound guys suddenly realised they had forgotten something. Or perhaps Nile was just that much better.... :P

Re: Most Promising Bands of 2013?

I saw them live with a local band opening, then Hate Eternal, then Nile came on and absolutely pounded. Nearly everyone who attended was standing outside the venue doors chatting while the first two acts played in front of practically nobody. When Nile started, the little basement was packed, and the difference in sound was incredible. It was like the sound guys suddenly realised they had forgotten something. Or perhaps Nile was just that much better.... :P
I saw Nile last year, but their set was cut short because they were opening for the emo poser band The Black Dahlia Murder. Their set was alright, but the venue had some sound issues that kept it from being awesome. With no touring partners and a different venue this time around, I'm hoping for better things. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's rude the way awesome bands open for shite bands. Case in point Dark Tranquillity opened for Killswitch Engage a few years back. That's like AC/DC opening for Airbourne. Back to topic, I have high hopes for Dark Tranquillity's Construct, and also wishing that Akerfeldt starts writing metal stuff for the next record. I felt that Watershed and Ghost Reveries progressed metal to where it needs to go, rather than stagnate where it is currently.

I think it's rude the way awesome bands open for shite bands. Case in point Dark Tranquillity opened for Killswitch Engage a few years back. That's like AC/DC opening for Airbourne. Back to topic, I have high hopes for Dark Tranquillity's Construct, and also wishing that Akerfeldt starts writing metal stuff for the next record. I felt that Watershed and Ghost Reveries progressed metal to where it needs to go, rather than stagnate where it is currently.
Yeah, that shit drives me nuts. The only positive is that you don't have to stay to watch the shitty headliner, but the band that you came to see isn't getting most of the money, and is playing a shorter set. It's pretty infuriating, the first time I saw Dark Tranquillity was with Hypocrisy, but they were both opening for Soilwork in full mallcore mode (Stabbing the Drama tour). I loved seeing DT, and have seen them a couple of times since, but having their set cut short for those ass clowns is sad.

Yeah' date=' that shit drives me nuts. The only positive is that you don't have to stay to watch the shitty headliner, but the band that you came to see isn't getting most of the money, and is playing a shorter set. It's pretty infuriating, the first time I saw Dark Tranquillity was with Hypocrisy, but they were both opening for Soilwork in full mallcore mode (Stabbing the Drama tour). I loved seeing DT, and have seen them a couple of times since, but having their set cut short for those ass clowns is sad.[/quote'] This is the very reason I opted out of seeing Swallow the Sun. That and I didn't want to sit through the locals.

It is sad, and I think it is a reflection of the total saturation of the heavy metal music market in our time. You find that the bands at the moment who burst on the scene because they were marketed well by the record companies are paid at least as equally as veterans like Dark Tranquility, who were seminal in their time. It's not fair, it's not right - but that's the way it is unfortunately. We can blame marketing. And capitalism. And sheep-like followers of bands. I just fucking hate marketing. So much. The record cover looks cool, the musicians are all tattooed and look hard-ass, the album/group got a 'review' by a magazine. You buy the record and it is complete and utter shit (By that I mean it sounds like every other 'current' metal band out there). Why the hell has metal become something like pop music. It's like it has been Simon Cowell-ised. I am all for metal being popular and more main-stream, accepted in society, but it needs to be more like the form of art it is meant to be, not just run like a business to make the record company profit and keep the musician touring constantly so they can just get by.

It is sad, and I think it is a reflection of the total saturation of the heavy metal music market in our time. You find that the bands at the moment who burst on the scene because they were marketed well by the record companies are paid at least as equally as veterans like Dark Tranquility, who were seminal in their time. It's not fair, it's not right - but that's the way it is unfortunately. We can blame marketing. And capitalism. And sheep-like followers of bands. I just fucking hate marketing. So much. The record cover looks cool, the musicians are all tattooed and look hard-ass, the album/group got a 'review' by a magazine. You buy the record and it is complete and utter shit (By that I mean it sounds like every other 'current' metal band out there). Why the hell has metal become something like pop music. It's like it has been Simon Cowell-ised. I am all for metal being popular and more main-stream, accepted in society, but it needs to be more like the form of art it is meant to be, not just run like a business to make the record company profit and keep the musician touring constantly so they can just get by.
Capitalism isn't a bad thing. Without there would be no music at all. If you can't make a return off something it's not worth doing. The problem is people not listening to what the underground has to say and jumping on whatever the TV or myspace or whomever says is cool. If people would use common sense there wouldn't be the core shit out there nor would bands like Dark Tranquility be opening for their lessors like Soil Work. You can blame marketing blame those marketing gurus who are just doing what they're paid to do, or you can put the blame on those actually buying into the hype. No one's holding a gun to their heads you know. If more people ignored the bullshit it would force the aforementioned groups to focus on the real stuff instead of trying to get people to cram the poser shit down their throats. It takes two.

Capitalism isn't a bad thing. Without there would be no music at all. If you can't make a return off something it's not worth doing. The problem is people not listening to what the underground has to say and jumping on whatever the TV or myspace or whomever says is cool. If people would use common sense there wouldn't be the core shit out there nor would bands like Dark Tranquility be opening for their lessors like Soil Work. You can blame marketing blame those marketing gurus who are just doing what they're paid to do' date=' or you can put the blame on those actually buying into the hype. No one's holding a gun to their heads you know. If more people ignored the bullshit it would force the aforementioned groups to focus on the real stuff instead of trying to get people to cram the poser shit down their throats. It takes two.[/quote'] I hate to break it to you, but very few bands actually make a profit on their music. In the interview I read with them recently, even Evoken said that their band is only 90% self sustaining, meaning 10% of their expenses still come out of their own pockets without taking anything out of the band for themselves. People make music for pleasure, unless it's vapid and banal pop music bullshit. Is it nice to sell albums, merch, and make money at shows? Sure, it's a bonus, and it does help you make more merch and record more songs, as well as giving some incentive to stay active and write new material and/or keep gigging. The rock star dream simply doesn't exist, the only people making money off of music are record companies and itunes, art will lose you money 99% of the time.

I hate to break it to you' date=' but very few bands actually make a profit on their music. In the interview I read with them recently, even Evoken said that their band is only 90% self sustaining, meaning 10% of their expenses still come out of their own pockets without taking anything out of the band for themselves. People make music for pleasure, unless it's vapid and banal pop music bullshit. Is it nice to sell albums, merch, and make money at shows? Sure, it's a bonus, and it does help you make more merch and record more songs, as well as giving some incentive to stay active and write new material and/or keep gigging. The rock star dream simply doesn't exist, the only people making money off of music are record companies and itunes, art will lose you money 99% of the time.[/quote'] 90% is a million times better than no percent at all. If you don't get any return at all it does get pointless after a while. Like any small business, you have to grow the brand and you're never guaranteed success. My point is unchanged. If you can't make something from it, then there's no reason to do it. This will ultimately kill music IMO.

real music has been dying a slow death for years now, the question is other then vapid pop music which can be mass produced cheaply and quickly with a minimum of effort which genre will survive this free-for-all the longest, metal has survived to this point because of a strong underground scene but when the bands fuelling that scene can't afford to keep going and the old guard retire there will only be that middle ground of bands who are losing money on every sale but not quickly enough to be immediately fatal, they will last for a few years then give it away and metal will then only live in the hearts and ears of people like us, ten to twenty years from now the only music that will exist is the shallow mass produced pop music and there will be no individual artists within that, just record companies competing against each other until only one is left standing, this is the problem with a consumer culture, quality is irrelevant it's all about quantity