Hello from the UK! \m/

Superfoy_Metal

Hey there fellow Metalheads! I'm a 17 year old Metalhead from the North West of England and I've been listening to Metal since I was around 12/13. I first got into bands such as Slipknot, Bullet for my Valentine ect. Whilst my music taste has progressed a lot I do still listen to those bands from time to time. I listen to pretty much every type of Metal and my favourite bands would have to be ones like; Lamb of God, Slayer, Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, Eluveitie, Defiler, Woods of Ypres, Vader, Machine Head, Metallica, Trivium, Anthrax, Megadeth, Pantera, Municipal Waste, Firewind and so on :) I'd love to be a guitarist or drummer some day but I don't think I have the capacity to learn those so it's pretty much just a pipe dream :( I'd also love do learn how to do vocals such as Randy Blythe's (Lamb of God) or Jake Peltzl's (Defiler) (And I know they're two completely different bands but I like of both their vocal styles.). I can't really think of anything else to say about myself so if you have any queries then drop me a message or something, I don't bite :) Peace and stay Metal \m/

welcome to the forum, if you really want to be a guitarist you should go for it, if nothing else learning to play your favourite songs is a lot of fun, I've been playing for five years now and love that feeling I get from playing music. you have a very ecclectic mix of bands there by the way, personally not many of them I like, a couple I haven't heard of, enjoy the forum mate and keep them horns up high \m/

welcome to the forum' date=' if you really want to be a guitarist you should go for it, if nothing else learning to play your favourite songs is a lot of fun, I've been playing for five years now and love that feeling I get from playing music. you have a very ecclectic mix of bands there by the way, personally not many of them I like, a couple I haven't heard of, enjoy the forum mate and keep them horns up high \m/[/quote'] Cheers man! I think I'd rather be a vocalist though because in my opinion there's more power to be delivered, but we'll see what happens. My music taste varies much, much more than that btw haha.

Yeah, it is an improvement haha. But I do like EVERY sub genre of metal; mainly Death, Groove, Thrash and some Black/Doom. I think if I was to do both Guitar AND vocals, I'd have to do them separately because for Guitar I'd have to start from scratch and my vocals need A LOT of improvement and I've been told that both are quite demanding. And Dave, I'm from Manchester, where abouts are you? Cheers for the welcomes.

Re: Hello from the UK! \m/

Yeah, it is an improvement haha. But I do like EVERY sub genre of metal; mainly Death, Groove, Thrash and some Black/Doom. I think if I was to do both Guitar AND vocals, I'd have to do them separately because for Guitar I'd have to start from scratch and my vocals need A LOT of improvement and I've been told that both are quite demanding. And Dave, I'm from Manchester, where abouts are you? Cheers for the welcomes.
I learned guitar first, and when my band needed a vocalist, I stepped up because I noticed that I was usually singing along while playing anyway. Then I just had to learn to do the style of vocals we needed (death growls), and that's all there was to it. Myself, I've found that there's something to be offered from every subgenre of metal. I definitely have my preferences, but listen to something from all sides of the metal spectrum. I haven't seen to many black/doom fans around though, what bands do you like that combine those two styles? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm almost insulted Blut, just because I haven't got to the black/doom yet, wait have you even posted black/doom? and speaking of doom of all the subgenres of metal out there I can quite easily say that doom/death is my favourite, well okay not easily but it's my favourite let's leave it at that btw this is what happens to me when I've had to work on uni related BS since six in the morning (it's now half past four in the evening)

I learned guitar first, and when my band needed a vocalist, I stepped up because I noticed that I was usually singing along while playing anyway. Then I just had to learn to do the style of vocals we needed (death growls), and that's all there was to it. Myself, I've found that there's something to be offered from every subgenre of metal. I definitely have my preferences, but listen to something from all sides of the metal spectrum. I haven't seen to many black/doom fans around though, what bands do you like that combine those two styles? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Death growls is the vocal style that I'd like to learn properly but don't know where to start :( Any tips? I agree about every subgenre having something to offer, it's brilliant. And when I put "Black/Doom" I meant them as two separate genres but I guess Woods of Ypres could, at a stretch, fall into the Black/Doom hybrid category.

@ Relentless, Yeah, I've posted a few black doom metal bands so far, like Unholy, Bethlehem, Katatonia (pretty much just the first album), stuff like that. I just realized that Nortt would fit into this category too, as they're black/funeral doom, but I neglected to post them in the funeral doom recs section for some reason. Not sure how they slipped my mind, as I really like their stuff. @ Superfoy, The most important thing with death growls (or any vocal style) is the way that you breathe, which you need to make sure is done with your diaphragm. Once you've learned to emphasize the use of your diaphragm and have some control over it, you just use it to force air through your wind pipe (as opposed to the casual push associated with breathing) and shape your throat to make the sounds you desire. Be sure that none of the actual sound is coming from your throat, nor that you are straining your throat to make any sound, as that means you're doing it wrong and will damage your vocal chords if you do it for too long. The best advice that I can give to you is that you need to just go for it, it takes a lot of power to do it properly and you won't be able to make it happen by being shy about it, it needs to be belted out. I find that I'm different than many growlers though, every gig I've ever played I've had to tell the sound tech to turn the microphone way down, because most people don't make much sound when they growl. However, there have been band practices in which we didn't have a working microphone, but I was still loud enough without amplification to be heard perfectly by the rest of the band. Here's a clip of us playing live, I'm not sure if you can see me well enough to see my technique, but it's worth a shot (good posture, full use of stomach/diaphragm muscles for breathing a vocalizing, open and clear throat passage): lm1KsO62wSE