Sweden vs USA Death Metal

LiakosVikernes666

Re: Sweden vs USA Death Metal Opeth aren't death metal for the record, and In Flames are more deathcore then death metal these days (a piece of info given to me by BlutAusNerd) in any case since I have more death metal from Sweden then I do from the US I have to say Sweden, Europe in general has the best death and black metal, the US and Canada have by and large the best thrash and power metal though

Re: Sweden vs USA Death Metal Tough call, both countries produced tons of great bands in the style. I would say that more of my favorite death metal albums are from the US, but I think the Swedish scene might be a bit more consistent for me, so I don't know if I could pick a clear favorite. If I had to choose, I would give a slight edge to the US, but that's subject to change. Would have been more interesting to pit two scenes that aren't quite as celebrated against each other though, like maybe Dutch death metal vs. Finnish death metal, or Polish death metal vs. UK death metal.

Re: Sweden vs USA Death Metal

Would have been more interesting to pit two scenes that aren't quite as celebrated against each other though' date=' like maybe Dutch death metal vs. Finnish death metal, or Polish death metal vs. UK death metal.[/quote'] Actually, the YouTube channel of PunksD3ad3m0K1dsN3xt has several comparisons. They're all tech-death though. Not that that's a problem! :D Anyhow, to the question: I think they're roughly the same. I think the Swedish bands are better at melodic or progressive death metal, but the US has better tech-death. It's a close call, though - I have roughly the same number of death metal bands from each country. The Frenchmen beat them both, though. I've got more French tech-death than I do of either American or Swedish death metal of all genres.

I'm not the biggest lover of tech-death, so I can't really weigh in there, but overall France's death metal scene has always been far weaker than USA's or Sweden's (or the other scenes I mentioned, for that matter), despite some strong early favorites like Agressor and Massacra making great death/thrash. Another point brought up on another forum that I didn't think about (for whatever reason), is that there are different areas within the US which have massively different sounds. I guess this would be another dimension that may or may not make a difference for most in deciding, I just thought I would mention it.

Sweden vs USA Death Metal

Well' date=' even within the US, Floridian death metal sounds different from New York/New England death metal, West coast death metal, Mid-West death metal, etc... Even then though, you get oddballs within scenes, because just like with genres, there's variety everywhere.[/quote'] You just said the magic word named Florida...Great music!!! I bet Micky Mouse in Disneyland bangs the shit out of his head, when he listens to "Altars Of Madness".

Well' date=' even within the US, Floridian death metal sounds different from New York/New England death metal, West coast death metal, Mid-West death metal, etc... Even then though, you get oddballs within scenes, because just like with genres, there's variety everywhere.[/quote'] Well, now I definitely can't weigh in. I actually only listen to five US death metal bands :oops: , three of which are Californian. I suppose I will say that the Californian tech-death metal I have is more in the brutal style.

Re: Sweden vs USA Death Metal Swedish death metal sucks balls except for Tiamat, Crypt of Kerberos, and of course fucking Grave. The Netherlands had a better scene, and every band from Sweden is stylistically fucking similar same dull watered down thrash riffs, boring chainsaw guitar tone, and is just technically inferior to everything the US has to offer. Swedish death metal needs to die with all of the terrible revivalist bands that pollute the scene.

Re: Sweden vs USA Death Metal Heh, you don't know the music too well. The US has tons of underground bands that crush anything Sweden has ever come up with, there is so much lesser known dm bands I can't even name them why not Youtube Monstrosity, Hellwitch, Resurrection, Imprecation, and see the hundreds of bands that are USDM in the sidebar. Some of them maybe derivative, granted, they're a whole lot more technically proficient than anything the Swedes or the Finnish have ever done. I'll stand by that comment until the day Dismember, Entombed, Unleashed, or any of their shitty 4th tier clones come up with something good.

• 5 months later...

I'm swayed a little more towards US death metal since last posting here, the amount of death metal I own is still desperately lacking but the amount of death metal I've heard leads me to believe that the scene across the US and it's surrounding countries is marginally better then that of Sweden and the rest of Europe but good death metal is good death metal regardless of the country it originates from

I'm swayed a little more towards US death metal since last posting here' date=' the amount of death metal I own is still desperately lacking but the amount of death metal I've heard leads me to believe that the scene across the US and it's surrounding countries is marginally better then that of Sweden and the rest of Europe but good death metal is good death metal regardless of the country it originates from[/quote'] The two big scenes have produced a large amount of awesome bands, but it's sad that there are also fantastic death metal bands from lots of other places, which are often more original than the Florida and Stockholm scenes. It's the same thing with Swedish and Norwegian black metal scenes, both have produced tons of awesome bands, but there's stuff that's just as good or better from other places. While bands like Dismember, Morbid Angel, and Immolation have produced some of my favorite death metal albums, I actually prefer albums from bands in other regions of their respective countries over most of their scene's outputs. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is a tough question.. both are awesome death metal countries \m/ my top3 swedish bands are Grave, Entombed, Dismember.. top3 US bands to me are Obituary, Six Feet Under, Nile. I have to pick USA, because I'm a diehard Obituary / SFU fan. I just love the "Florida" sound.

Are you a fan of Finnish death metal? They also had a strong scene in the early 90's and produced some awesome albums' date=' they just don't seem to be as well known as the Swedish bands from the same period.[/quote'] I think swedish scene was so much more interesting then so i didn't pay much attention to my own country's scene.. :) I remember listening to Demigod and Xysma though. One Finnish death metal band I like very much nowadays is Torture Killer \m/ Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sweden definitely had quantity on their side, but I definitely think that overall the Finnish death metal scene was more diverse and original. Demigod and Xysma were both excellent examples of that, as were Adramelech, Demilich, Funebre, Purtenance, Convulse, Sentenced, Amorphis, Depravity, and others. It's too bad that almost all of those bands either disbanded after one album or abandoned death metal in favor of punk or gothic rock.

Sweden definitely had quantity on their side' date=' but I definitely think that overall the Finnish death metal scene was more diverse and original. Demigod and Xysma were both excellent examples of that, as were Adramelech, Demilich, Funebre, Purtenance, Convulse, Sentenced, Amorphis, Depravity, and others. It's too bad that almost all of those bands either disbanded after one album or abandoned death metal in favor of punk or gothic rock.[/quote'] How did I forget Sentenced and early Amorphis.. :) I listened to them very much. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2