Unto The Locust - Machine Head - 2011

The Strategos

O.K. I promissed a review of Unto The Locust, so here it is! I love this album. It's kind of like what would happen if one threw Iron Maiden and Trivium in a blender together and then sprinkled with a few other bands. Occasionally it lapses into predicatability, but overall it is a fantastic effort! I was lucky enough to get the duluxe edition real cheap as somebody had nicked the dummy case, so they where having to sell the CD without one. Sweeeet 8-) ! Anyway: 1. I Am Hell. One hell of a track. Starts off with a weird chant and then blasts off in all directions, which twiddly bits intersposed with grunty bits, and the bridge into the solo is just ecstacy! 10/10 2. Be Still And Know is just brutal, it drums into you so hard and is so good. And the solo, oh, the solo, absolutely howlingly fast over angry chord, just like Maiden at their most aggressive! 10/10 3. Locust. Mnnn, a really menacing reverby riff opens before it blasts off into a really march-like song, one really gets the sense of a plague of locusts! 10/10 4. This Is The End. This track sound like Muse in its tones, and has a very whoozey bridge. 8/10 5. Darkness Within. This track sound like the Foo Fighters. Consequently...6/10 - not a great Fighters fan but I quite like them. 6. Darkness Within is cruchy, but generic. 7/10 7. Who We Are starts of with a kid's chant, before blasting off into simply the most siblime riff. Don't like the screachy, whiny string quartet ending though. 9/10 8. Ha Ha Ha. The Sentinel. Is was going to say it sounded old school in a good way, maybe like Judas Priest, and guess what, I've just found out that it is a Priest cover! Awesome anyway. 8/10 9. Witch Hunt. Another cover apparently, this time Rush. Love it anyway, and I love the lyrics. However, it does just fade out without any sense of having gone anywhere. 8/10 10. An accoustic version of track 5 but none the worse for it. 5/10 O.K. That's my review and I look forwards to you all disagreeing with me - it should be fun! :D

Re: Unto The Locust - Machine Head - 2011

I am yet to hear a machine head song that I like so hearing they've covered Priest and Rush (two bands I worship like gods) saddens me because I can't imagine the songs being covered well
They also did a pretty abysmal cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name...

• 10 months later...

Nice album & nice review. I was gifted with that deluxe edition, "The Sentinel" cover is great!! It also features a dvd with the "making of.." . MH has reached a maturity status delivering top-notch albums like this one or "The Blackening". Anyway, "Burn my Eyes" remains to be my fav one.

• 1 month later...

I have to say as much as I enjoyed The Blackening, as a personal preference I enjoy Unto The Locust more. Maybe because with ..Locust, you can just stick it on the stereo and just enjoy it whilst driving or chatting with your mates (enroute to a gig, maybe Machine Head who are spectacular live regardless what they play) where as I found with The Blackening, it was best listened to without distraction due to its intricacy. Also as much as I love Judas Priest, I really can't fault the Sentinel cover.

• 2 weeks later...
I am yet to hear a machine head song that I like so hearing they've covered Priest and Rush (two bands I worship like gods) saddens me because I can't imagine the songs being covered well
Such a shame you don't like MH my friend! Having said that, I am actually only a fan of The Blackening [2007] and Locust [2011]. Not sure why, but their earlier albums just don't do it for me, but I know A LOT of ppl would disagree with that statement...just my opinion.

Bad luck Murph' date=' still, perhaps if people hear the covers they will seek out the originals? :)[/quote'] Yeah I think covers are one of the best ways to get into a new band. I know that Trivium are a much maligned band in some circles, but you'd be a fool to at least not check them out after their Master of Puppets cover!

I have to say as much as I enjoyed The Blackening, as a personal preference I enjoy Unto The Locust more. Maybe because with ..Locust, you can just stick it on the stereo and just enjoy it whilst driving or chatting with your mates (enroute to a gig, maybe Machine Head who are spectacular live regardless what they play) where as I found with The Blackening, it was best listened to without distraction due to its intricacy. Also as much as I love Judas Priest, I really can't fault the Sentinel cover.
100% agree that you have to really "listen" to Blackening but can just pop Locust on in the background!

Yo Mecca! I think that the earlier albums are a bit more chaotic and nu metally staccato. The Blackening and Locust are more controlled. I agree they are better but I love Through the Ashes of Empire :D ! I also think Trivium are much maligned - their is some seriously awesome stuff going on there.
Maybe I'm just not "chaotically and nu metally staccato" inclined haha! Yeah man, Imperium and Descend The Shades of Night are my favourites off Through The Ashes. I'm looking forward to MH and Trivium's new albums...I believe MH have begun the writing process for the follow up to Locust and Trivium have finished recording Album V. I wonder how the departure of Adam Duce will impact on MH.... I wrote about it here if you're keen to read about it \m/

I've honestly no idea lol! I mean' date=' on the one hand he's only the bass player but on the other he might affect the songwriting.[/quote'] Yeah agreed - I tend more to think his departure won't affect MH too much as I think they never took on his ideas when they did write anyway. But then again when you take out a cog that has been in the Machine (Head...sorry couldn't resist the pun) for 20 years, there surely will be some sort of impact!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...