Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
RelentlessOblivion

intro to prog

96 posts in this topic

OLD - the Musical Dimensions of Sleastak might be the strangest avant-garde album I regularly enjoy, but I've been blown away by Starkweather's later stuff as well as Today is the Day's Sadness Will Prevail album. You may be put off by the vocals, but those are just the first few albums that come to my head. I would consider Thought Industry to be avant-garde as well. Also, i don't think any of those bands are really "circus-music". You might also want to check out: Kayo Dot, Arcturus (a bit circus-esque at times), early Septic Flesh (the Ophidian Wheel), the End - Elementary album (mostly just weird metal-core with great singing), Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, the Mars Volta's later stuff (Amputechture, the Bedlam in Goliath) King Crimson's later stuff with Adrian Belew (Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair, the Power to Believe), If you can get past the vocals, the Number 12 Looks Like You - Nuclear.Sad.Nuclear and Mongrel albums have some of the best instrumental work and they just ignore genres, same with Candiria - Beyond Reasonable Doubt, the Process of Self.Development, Kiss the Lie (this one has the most intelligible vocals). Not strictly metal.

BAN' date=' do you have some more avant-garde stuff? I always have a hankering for it but my appetite is stronger than usual.[/quote'] I know you asked BAN specifically, but lately I've had a similar desire for weird stuff so i figured i would chime in. I'll definitely post videos I can.

I've already checked out OLD, Arcturus, Kayo Dot, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Septicflesh, SGM would probably be my favorite although that's only really in principle since they're too mild most of the time. I might try Candiria.

Thanks! Good call on Serdce' date=' their latest was great.[/quote'] You're welcome! If you want more recommendations, it takes but a word :) A lot of avant-garde bands I know rely heavily on industrial/gothic influences. I excluded those because I'm not sure what you would think of them, but there are plenty of bands with an entirely different sound of which I'm sure I can find some stuff to post as well.

You're welcome! If you want more recommendations, it takes but a word :) A lot of avant-garde bands I know rely heavily on industrial/gothic influences. I excluded those because I'm not sure what you would think of them, but there are plenty of bands with an entirely different sound of which I'm sure I can find some stuff to post as well.
Well, I listen to Cssaba, Forgotten Souls, Severnaja and the spectacular Aberrant Vascular, so gothic and industrial influences are fine with me. I'll try out the other stuff first though.

Iceni most of my previous recs were disjointed and of the top of my head. Definitely check out Starkweather - This Sheltering Night. Strange and very emotive, completely ignoring genres (not the same as genre mixing IMO)

Starkweather reminds me of Ketha in a lot of ways. I am liking what I hear so far.

and fuck it they even go to relative major at points. The composition from this band is on par with maestros in conservatories around the world.
They even go to the relative major at points? Oh wow... :shock: This review was hilarious. I'll listen to the song when I'm home and see if it's on par with maestros.

Fixed all the vid-links in this thread. Hopefully that's the last time any mod has to do so. Next I'll start compiling video lists for the album recs by Iceni and others. Might as well be thorough.

Iceni gave this Horns Up!

Fixed all the vid-links in this thread. Hopefully that's the last time any mod has to do so. Next I'll start compiling video lists for the album recs by Iceni and others. Might as well be thorough.

That's awesome dude, I'm glad that you're taking the time to do so. Myself and others have put a lot of time into these posts, and I wish that I had time to update them, but work and family life have both been insane lately. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

As promised video lists for any albums recommended in this thread without associated links. Could take a while to get through them all

7 Days - The Darkest Winter (The Weight Of The World)

Andromeda - In The Deepest Of Waters (Extension Of The Wish)

Brainstorm - Shadowland (Metus Mortis)

Circle II Circle - F.O.S (Watching In Silence)

Circus Maximus - Silence From Angels Above (The 1st Chapter)

Darkwater - Queen Of The Night (Where Stories End)

Division By Zero - Glass Face (Independant Harmony)

Dominici - Liquid Lightning (O3 - A Trilogy Part 3)

Dreamscape - Point Zero (5th Season)

Evergrey - Mark Of The Triangle (In Search Of Truth)

That's the first 10 done and I'm sorry to say Iceni not one album in there I actually want to buy.

Thanks! For my part I've still bought most of those albums and I'm entirely happy with my purchases.

That stuff no longer ties in with my taste. Back in late 2011/early 2012 it worked but now I don't know I guess I'm looking for more punch and less negative space so to speak.

I'm not seeing the links on Tapatalk, are you sure that they're working?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

They're all working on my computer. I listened to every one of them as I went through. Maybe it's time to give up on Crapatalk?

The new update on it is shit. No videos, no reply function (despite it being explicitly listed), but it's still terribly convenient for mobile posting with text. Before the update, adding photos and videos was easy, but I haven't tried dice the update.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Tapatalk apparently isn't compatible with the accessibility features on iPhone (namely voiceover) so I never post on anything but my computer.