The Official Progressive Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

I tried for months to love Dream Theater' date=' but struggled.[/quote'] I failed. They're fine, but severely overrated in my opinion. There's no shortage of great US prog to listen to: Suspyre, Dark Empire, Symphony X, Futures End, Halcyon Way, etc. Anyhow, I'll also recommend: kDea_iDO59c Thy Catafalque is a great Hungarian avant-garde band that generate a cold, windy atmosphere with their great keyboards and strong, echoing sound. The vocals are very nicely done too. Fy8aX03TJaQ Akphaezya, a manic French avant-garde band with an interesting variation in style. They have two albums out now, and both are good though the intros are sometimes a bit long. Otherwise, though, they blend jazz piano and rhythm into their work in a fantastically entertaining way. aUHnP_20aOs The mighty UNEXPECT. This band does not disappoint, and are probably one of my top ten favorite bands. It's difficult to accurately describe their style, but it blends the savagery of tech-death with avant-garde stylings, wonderful female vocals, and some surprisingly memorable riffs and melodies. The band use keyboards, piano, some brass instruments and a violin.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dark Empire destroys, the singer on their first two albums is Jens Carlsson of Persuader - but the rest of the band is American. What I've discovered recently: 'Enigmatic: Calling' by Pagan's Mind 'Momentum' by DGM 'Buried In Oblivion' and 'The Scattering of Ashes' by Into Eternity 'Obsession' by Epysode 'Opus' by Lost In Thought 'The New Black' by Strapping Young Lad 'The Waspkeeper' by Talanas 'Unraveling' by The Void 'Hell' by Mean Messiah 'Far From The Madding Crowd' by Wuthering Heights '11 Dreams', 'Everblack', and 'The Hours That Remain' by Mercenary 'Welterwerk' by Drottnar 'Humanity Dethroned' by Dark Empire

I am really loving In Vain lately… I've been bingeing on it, it's proggy in all the right ways. Its just sooooo fucking good. I highly recommend anything of Aenigma, but Hymne til Havet and Rise Against are some of my favorite tracks. Thanks for the suggestions Iceni, I will check these out.
Absolutely! I loved Hymne Til Havet. I also thought Floating On The Murmuring Tide was a great ending track.

you know' date=' it takes balls to put a sax solo in a metal track. and damnit it works. so bloody well. I love it!!![/quote'] Suspyre has done that a couple of times, especially on the song Reign. I still think one could blend metal and lounge music, and saxophone would be instrumental (har) in realizing that fusion.

Suspyre has done that a couple of times' date=' especially on the song Reign. I still think one could blend metal and lounge music, and saxophone would be instrumental (har) in realizing that fusion.[/quote'] I really like hearing interesting blends of metal with other genres, for example Opeth's latest album has really gone pretty far into the jazzy world which I thought worked quite well, and then the other day I heard this blend of drum & bass and metal and I was really surprised how good it sounded. The vocals… well they weren't so good. But it was a really cool blend of genres. *throws an arm around Iceni's shoulder* But y'know, we prog-heads are always more open minded about that kinda stuff!

I really like hearing interesting blends of metal with other genres' date=' for example Opeth's latest album has really gone pretty far into the jazzy world which I thought worked quite well, and then the other day I heard this blend of drum & bass and metal and I was really surprised how good it sounded. The vocals… well they weren't so good. But it was a really cool blend of genres.[/quote'] Gorod is really jazzy and they're one of my favorites. It seems to be thing with French bands, Akphaezya, Pitbulls In The Nursery, Step In Fluid and Trepalium all do it. As for synthesizing genres, try Wuthering Heights, they do a very good and credible blend of folk and prog that's very good...at least on Far From The Madding Crowd. Still, Trepalium did perhaps the best jazzy tech-death song I've heard: D0yLZ-e8i7M C'est super.

Re: intro to prog

you know' date=' it takes balls to put a sax solo in a metal track. and damnit it works. so bloody well. I love it!!![/quote'] Give Ihsahn's After a listen if you get a chance, there's some amazing John Zorn styled sax in a couple of songs, and it's awesome. Also, Pan.Thy.Monium were one the first and best avant-garde death metal bands and had sax in tons of their songs way back in the early 90's. My favorite sax solos ever though are on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, really moving stuff. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 6 months later...

Back by (un)popular request (sorry Iceni, had to do it), here are some more progressive metal recommendations. I don't listen to a ton of classic progressive metal or Dream Theater type bands, so this one will probably focus more on extreme progressive bands.

Behold... The Arctopus - Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summonging (compilation):

Well, it seems like Colin Marston is becoming a household name now that everyone is gushing over Colored Sands, and his involvement in Gorguts has been a productive one. I first heard about Colin when he was playing in this band, where he plays a Warr guitar, which has guitar and bass strings and is played with all tapping and finger picking, sort of like the Chapman stick. The music is frenzied, technical, instrumental progressive metal. I quite like this release, it is busy and wild, but after repeated listens, it becomes surprisingly coherent. Some may call it wanky, and while they do play their asses off, there is actual songwriting going on here.

Blood Revolt - Indoctrine:

Well, this is anything but your typical prog metal recommendation. Blood Revolt is an extremely fascinating extreme metal band, consisting of a rhythm section which specializes in frenzied war metal (chaotic black/death metal), with clean vocals and progressive structures. WTF? Well, it's a love it or hate it kind of deal, but I think Blood Revolt is awesome, and evoke a unique feeling that neither war metal nor progressive metal could have done separately. The music will sound familiar if you know any of the bands the rhythm section has been involved with (Revenge, Axis of Advance, Sacramentary Abolishment, etc...), and A.A. Nemtheanga's unique vocals will be familiar for any Primordial fans out there. Yep, progressive war metal, give it a shot.

Farmakon - A Warm Glimpse:

Farmakon is a Finnish progressive death metal band that frequently gets compared to Opeth. I can see why, as there are some times that I am reminded of Opeth while listening to them, but they're far from copycats. They mix harsh and clean passages and vocals, but they aren't the least bit somber sounding like Opeth is, and they're often more upbeat and vicious. In addition, their clean influences are much more jazzy and funky, as opposed to Opeth's more progressive rock influences. I can see Opeth fans digging this, but they're plenty different enough that I could see people that don't like Opeth getting into this too.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris:

Well, I know that I've gushed about this band before, but I feel like I have damn good reasons, those being every song on this magnificent album. Seriously, I find this album to be flawless, and while many may not go that far, I don't see how anyone could deny that their progressive, technical, and melodic take on brutal death metal is compelling, diverse, and incredibly adventurous. Add to this their new-age influences and positive/spiritual lyrics and you have a listen completely unlike anything else I've ever heard. Maybe one day this album will cease to be light years ahead of its time and have companions in the field, but almost 15 years after its release, I have yet to see that happen.

Misery's Omen - Hope Dies:

Misery's Omen is a fairly unusual Australian band, but then I guess being unusual or atypical is something that Australian bands seem to excel at. Misery's Omen play a fascinating progressive variant of black/doom metal, with a very introspective and laid back sound. Whereas most black/doom metal sounds overwhelmingly bleak, the mood here is much more subtle, but the melodies and songwriting are excellent. Really cool stuff, I hope that they decide to release more material.

Rhadamantys - Labyrinth of Thoughts:

Rhadamantys has got to be one of the most unusual old school death metal bands I have run across. They are experimental, avant-garde, progressive, and downright strange. They fuse what sounds like new-age and gothic influences into an ever-changing progressive death metal base, but I really like how it turns out. Not something that most will dig I'm sure, but anyone into weird, progressive metal has to at least hear what these guys were doing clear back in '93.

Sarke - Vorunah

Sarke is a newer Norwegian band that has caught my interest, as they're doing something really simple and familiar sounding, but also progressive and strange at the same time. You'll recognize some of the pieces here, Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone has some pretty unmistakable vocals, and there are plenty of homages to Celtic Frost in the guitar riffs and drumming. However, the addition of 70's style prog textures and keyboards, and a mostly laid back atmosphere gives this a very unique feeling. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, you just have to hear it.

Shining - Klagopsalmer:

Shining is most traditionally known as one of the progenitors of the suicidal black metal sound, and are also well known for Kvarforth's erratic and mostly juvenile rhetoric and actions. However, I've always found their music to be quite good, and very captivating in scope and atmosphere. As time has gone on, the band has incorporated more outside influences from other genres, and has taken on more of a progressive outlook and songwriting approach. Kvarforth's vocals have also grown to match, with his varied approach on more recent works being one of my favorite aspects of the band. If you can look past what this guy does when he's not making music, and I believe that you should, you can find some pretty adventurous and compelling music to enjoy.

StarGazer - The Scream that Tore the Sky:

StarGazer is another one of my very favorite more recent discoveries. I had heard the name and seen it associated with bands like Mournful Congregation and Misery's Omen, whom this band shares members with. I saw it used in a record store one day and decided to give it a shot, having no idea that this is what I was buying. Holy shit this album is crazy, ridiculously technical and mostly high speed progressive/avant-garde black/death metal of the highest order is what is on display here, with plenty of jarring time changes, bizarre chords and structures, and absolutely stellar playing. The bass playing is especially noteworthy and adventurous, I can think of few examples that I have ever heard of bass playing like this in metal. So basically, if you don't like insane, original, and vicious metal like this, you probably suck anyway.

Vektor - Outer Isolation:

I know I say a great deal about this band, but I feel that they truly deserve it. In addition to their entry in the thrash metal thread, here is one of their more progressive/technical songs for your listening pleasure. Probably the most amazing part about this band is that their precision in a live setting exactly mirrors how perfect it sounds on the albums, while the albums manage to capture their live energy, which is unfortunately not the case for most bands. These guys are a class act, and a band that I would recommend to most any metal fan even if I didn't know them personally, as there is something for everyone here. Enjoy the aggressive and progressive frenzy that is Tetrastructural Minds, and then listen to all of their other songs. Do it now, that's an order.

Listened to Blood Revolt and I liked it a lot. Farmakon was also great, and Misery's Omen is shaping up to be good. Lykathea Aflame has always been kind of odd to me, I've never got into them but ostensibly they check all the boxes of what I usually like. I've heard StarGazer before but for some reason I didn't check them out further...I can't remember why. However, I did just realize why I haven't gotten into Vektor; the lyrics to 'Dark Creations, Dead Creators'. Maybe since it's just one song I can let them off.

Listened to Blood Revolt and I liked it a lot. Farmakon was also great' date=' and Misery's Omen is shaping up to be good. Lykathea Aflame has always been kind of odd to me, I've never got into them but ostensibly they check all the boxes of what I usually like. I've heard StarGazer before but for some reason I didn't check them out further...I can't remember why. However, I did just realize why I haven't gotten into Vektor; the lyrics to 'Dark Creations, Dead Creators'. Maybe since it's just one song I can let them off.[/quote'] Well, at least a couple of them were hits. Did you listen to them all already? Yes, I would say investigate Vektor further, that is their shortest song and the only one I can think of with anti-religious lyrics. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of weirdness ban and Iceni you guys should check out captain beef heart. And fun band. Songs like moonlight to Vermont weird acid rock like prog.
I know of Captain Beefheart, but I don't think I've heard his band. Wasn't he a member of Frank Zappa's band for a while? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

As soon as I started listening to Behold the Arctopus it reminded me of Blotted Science. Great muscians but it's something that I would prob just listen to on occasion. With Blood Revolt, I actually went back and listened to it a second time around. They weren't my fave but they weren't bad. Just didn't pique my interest enough to want to hear more. However I do have to say that the drumming was, wow! The ones I liked we're Farmakon, Lykathea Aflame and Misery's Omen. Will definitely be seeking out more from them. Farmakon is right up my alley. Lykathea Aflame was very interesting. And Misery's Omen I just found enjoyable. Looking forward to listening to the rest :D