Albums you feel are overrated

Os Abysmi Vel Daath

Re: Albums you feel are overrated totally agree, I prefer both Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All to Master Of Puppets anyway Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss, don't get why it gets viewed as one of their best when it's so boring, just about all the riffs sound similar and generic in fact the only songs on that album I find interesting are War Ensemble and the title track Seasons In The Abyss

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Albums you feel are overrated

How come? On topic: 'Ghost Opera' By Kamelot. Good grief, am I tired of this getting rave reviews. It is exceeded in every way by 'Fallen Sanctuary' by Serenity, and several other symphonic power metal albums.
Because their music and attitudes suck. nuff said.

totally agree, I prefer both Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All to Master Of Puppets anyway Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss, don't get why it gets viewed as one of their best when it's so boring, just about all the riffs sound similar and generic in fact the only songs on that album I find interesting are War Ensemble and the title track Seasons In The Abyss
I couldn't have written that better myself, it's exactly what I would have said about Seasons. We saw Slayer on the tour where they decided to play the whole Seasons album and I couldn't wait for it to end so they could start on good stuff like South of Heaven.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated I've only seen Slayer at a festival we have down here called Soundwave and Araya totally stuffed up an intro, think he was trying to intro Captor Of Sin but the band played Dead Skin Mask, I've never heard a crowd go from such a loud cheer to such a loud moan

Because their music and attitudes suck. nuff said.
Er...how do you define straight edge music? And why were they fighting anyway? Brawling doesn't seem to be part of the philosophy... 'The Unseen Empire' by Scar Symmetry. It is not their triumphant return, it is their slow walk to recovery. It'll be at least another album before they make something really worthwhile again. And it has got some of the stupidest lyrics...

Er...how do you define straight edge music? And why were they fighting anyway? Brawling doesn't seem to be part of the philosophy...
sxe is just hardcore but more bitchy and anti-meat. Out here they're basically another faction of skinheads. They go to Metal shows and cause problems. The only reason we can come up with is because they don't want ANY bands coming here. Their bands don't get booked after their skirmishes just like ours don't. They're "philosophy" is "I'm going to fight you with 8 of my friends because you look, act, think different from us". They're nothing but angry children. They all claim to be sober but they all smoke and drink and drug.

sxe is just hardcore but more bitchy and anti-meat. They're nothing but angry children. They all claim to be sober but they all smoke and drink and drug.
ANTI-MEAT? HOW DAAAAAARRE THEY! :evil: OK, so they're juvenile hypocrites? Hey, that describes...well, darn near every leftist in my school. Funny, I definitely think I could bludgeon one of these 'white boy' proselyte gangtas that we get over here (white youth who dress like they're gang members) pretty easily, but they too always travel in packs. They're always the idiots making fun of my haircut. It's always two more more guys with gel hair and/or fitted baseball caps (from which they haven't removed the sticker for some unfathomable reason) in a rap-blasting compensationmobile that their parents bought for them. Um...as for albums...well, GodSpeed by Symphorce is pretty hyped but it's nothing special.

ANTI-MEAT? HOW DAAAAAARRE THEY! :evil: OK, so they're juvenile hypocrites? Hey, that describes...well, darn near every leftist in my school. Funny, I definitely think I could bludgeon one of these 'white boy' proselyte gangtas that we get over here (white youth who dress like they're gang members) pretty easily, but they too always travel in packs. They're always the idiots making fun of my haircut. It's always two more more guys with gel hair and/or fitted baseball caps (from which they haven't removed the sticker for some unfathomable reason) in a rap-blasting compensationmobile that their parents bought for them. Um...as for albums...well, GodSpeed by Symphorce is pretty hyped but it's nothing special.
How dare they indeed! And yes, again you are on the money with your political assessments. I grew up during the Nu-Metal phase and was surrounded by wiggers left and right. vHQjvNKab9g

Re: Albums you feel are overrated :lol: NO! MY RIBS! My poor ribs.:lol: That was quite a laugh. :D Dang, they hit the nail right on the head. I was actually going to use that term but I didn't know whether it'd be billed as racist and get me kicked off the forum. But it is exactly the word I wanted to use...we've got droves of them over here. I grew up in that phase as well actually (and I had to go through it Houston, Texas. AAAARRRRGH). I while ago I listened to a CD of several songs I liked when I was in elementary school. My ears curled up and retreated, deep inside my brain, refusing to come out until I gave them some decent prog. 'Eternity' by Freedom Call. This album is so bland...it's avowedly cheesy but unfortunately the really corny keyboard is a gimmick which can't really disguise the rather boring nature of their playing. And I hear they've gotten worse. Maybe you should post some albums...otherwise the mods will get mad.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated this is how far behind aussie music trends are: through the last two years of primary school and the first half of secondary school grunge was the most popular form of music around, I finished primary school in 2003 (coincidentally the same year I discovered metal in the form of Pantera, really should thank my cousin for saving me from the horror of nirvana and soundgarden) this may be wrong but I'm pretty sure grunge died out around the mid to late 90's everywhere else in the world which leads me to albums I think are over-rated: every grunge album ever made

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Har. From what little grunge I've heard it sounds like hard rock with half the skill and twice the loudness. Over in Cape Town, where I spent much of my childhood, people (that is, the people who are wealthy enough to buy music) have no taste in music whatsoever. Case in point? They will go to a CD shop and actually BUY the NOW CDs. :shock: It's as if they literally let other people tell them what to like and they will - they barely make any autonomous music selections. That said, they generally trend toward any really sugary, corny bubblegum electropop. They keep current, but it's more of the same. And there are many of us here who can complain at length about music trends here in the US.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated I've got a couple of South African friends and they have awesome taste in music, they are absolutely mental metal heads, the down side however is they will not listen to ANYTHING that doesn't have clean, powerful, vocals so they hate thrash, death and black metal, they also hate nu metal but that's not a bad thing anyway I think Ozzy Osbourne's solo work is for the most part over-rated

I've got a couple of South African friends and they have awesome taste in music' date=' they are absolutely mental metal heads, the down side however is they will not listen to ANYTHING that doesn't have clean, powerful, vocals so they hate thrash, death and black metal, they also hate nu metal but that's not a bad thing[/quote'] So, they're mainly traditional, power and prog fans? :P DANG, I need to find me some of those guys. Pity they don't like harsh vocals, because that sounds awesome. I would love to meet a South African metalhead. I do hope people like them take the initiative and expand the metal community down by the Cape. Oh, I almost forgot... MUTINY WITHIN. For some reason people loved their first album. I really don't get it, it just sounds like Avenged Sevenfold all over again.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated yuck the last thing we need is another avenged sevenfold ruining the credibility of metal as legitimate music, which leads me to my next point: every album by avenged sevenfold, trivium, killswitch engage, bullet for my valentine etc is EXTREMELY over-rated

yuck the last thing we need is another avenged sevenfold ruining the credibility of metal as legitimate music' date=' which leads me to my next point: every album by avenged sevenfold, trivium, killswitch engage, bullet for my valentine etc is EXTREMELY over-rated[/quote'] Trivium especially. Ah, A7X...I think it's required by New Mexico state law that every Native American girl has to have at least one shirt by a really lousy band, like A7X, A Day To Remember, All That Remains, BMFV, the list goes on. I actually saw a guy with a Black Veil Brides shirt. I think the only way he could fit it on was because he was such a twig, he was probably under 100 pounds. Anything by Before The Dawn...they're an OK band but there are definitely better melodeath groups out there.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Cradle Of Filth - Damnation And A Day, it's a fair enough album and all but I don't think it deserves to be praised quite as much as it is, in my opinion Nymphetamine is much better Icoincidentally Nymphetamine is also my fave CoF album and the last that I found to be truly brilliant sadly I sold it when I ditched my death and black metal albums)

sxe is just hardcore but more bitchy and anti-meat. Out here they're basically another faction of skinheads. They go to Metal shows and cause problems. The only reason we can come up with is because they don't want ANY bands coming here. Their bands don't get booked after their skirmishes just like ours don't. They're "philosophy" is "I'm going to fight you with 8 of my friends because you look, act, think different from us". They're nothing but angry children. They all claim to be sober but they all smoke and drink and drug.
Metal shows could use more violence, I get tired of seeing the same nu-metal push mosh crap.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Depends on the show, we kicked some Hot Topic douchebag out of the Candlemass show because he kept trying to mosh into everyone. I'm a headbanger, I do my thing to enjoy the music I came to see, I dont give a shit what anyone else does unless they keep me from having a good time.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated I love aggression and passion at shows. If people want to crowdkill and smash someone in the process of a good live band, it doesn't bother me at all and it livens the atmosphere up. Metalheads are too accustomed to having an impersonal live experience, i,e being thirty feet away while the band is performing behind a barricade and security.

I love aggression and passion at shows. If people want to crowdkill and smash someone in the process of a good live band' date=' it doesn't bother me at all and it livens the atmosphere up. Metalheads are too accustomed to having an impersonal live experience, i,e being thirty feet away while the band is performing behind a barricade and security.[/quote'] This has never been my experience. We have such a small metal scene here that even bigger bands like Dark Tranquillity will only bring 150 - 200 to a small club, only the biggest bands like Judas Priest ever get a large venue and it's never packed. I saw Napalm Death with a crowd of 50 at a tiny club, and the only reason 35 of those people were there was to see A Life Once Lost, so they stood in the back or left when Napalm played. All 15 of us were right at the stage tearing it up, and Napalm still played their asses off, that's how most of our shows are here. Things just tend to get out of hand in Salt Lake City, like when some drunk skinhead pulled Erik Danielson off the stage after punching him in the face the first time Watain came to town. 75% of the crowd joined Erik in beating the living fuck out of him, and another fight erupted after he regained consciousness and refused to leave, but it fucked up the PA and their sound sucked for the rest of the set.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated it's very similar in my home town, there is a metal scene but hardly any bands get big venues, in fact there's only been one hard rock/metal band that ever got a truly big venue, AC/DC were allowed to play a stadium, but the city council made them turn the volume from 130 decibels to 90, and finish the show by 10:30. At the other end of the spectrum Megadeth and Slayer did a show here in 2009 (which I had tickets to but came down with the flu two days before the show which totally sucked 'cause I didn't end up going) and they played a venue which sits about 1000 people. Metallica played a venue that sits about 10,000 in 2010 and there was about 25,000 that showed up, that show was out of control, they played one song from death magnetic, one from the black album to st. anger period, and everything else was from the first four albums and the whole place turned into one giant mosh pit

• 1 year later...
Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this. For me: At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul. Blut Aus Nerd and I were discussing this in a different thread. The Red in the Sky is Ours is fantastic, but I have never understood the mass appeal of this album. Bathory - Hammerheart. I love the first four Bathory albums, and I understand that this one was massively influential, but I've never liked it.
Madness!!! That album was amazing IMO! I'd say Death Magnetic. A lot of people hailed it as the triumphant return of Metallica and for me it really really wasn't.