Albums you feel are overrated

Os Abysmi Vel Daath

Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this. For me: At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul. Blut Aus Nerd and I were discussing this in a different thread. The Red in the Sky is Ours is fantastic, but I have never understood the mass appeal of this album. Bathory - Hammerheart. I love the first four Bathory albums, and I understand that this one was massively influential, but I've never liked it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Albums you feel are overrated ATG - Slaughter of the Soul is easily one of the best Melodic Death Metal albums of all time. You'll find with ban that if a lot of people like an album he won't. For the topic: Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans (I love this album, but it's FAR from their best) Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell Napalm Death - Scum Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated Queensryche - Queensryche More to come...

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Metallica - Master Of Puppets Slayer - Reign In Blood Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss Judas Priest - British Steel Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance pretty much every Testament album every avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine etc album ever every dragonforce album ever

Re: Albums you feel are overrated

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Good call on that one. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overrated! As are the following: Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution Iron Maiden - Brave New World Iron Maiden - Dance of Death Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier Dio - The Last in Line Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos Iced Earth - The Horror Show Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet Testament - The Gathering Fear Factory - Demanufacture

Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this. For me: At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul. Blut Aus Nerd and I were discussing this in a different thread. The Red in the Sky is Ours is fantastic, but I have never understood the mass appeal of this album. Bathory - Hammerheart. I love the first four Bathory albums, and I understand that this one was massively influential, but I've never liked it.
Agree totally with ATG, can't agree with Hammerheart. Depending on my mood I like it just as well as their earlier masterpieces, and almost always like it better than the self titled and The Return albums. Obviously it was a huge change in style, but a completely honest one, and I think the end work is sincere, moving, and mesmerizing. I'm pretty big on Bathory though, except for a few of their mid-period failures.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Agreed, Screaming For Vengeance is enormously overrated. I think Sounds of Perseverance by Death is quite overrated. Individual Thought Patterns strikes me as more varied. Some more: Agony by Fleshgod Apocalypse Any album by Sadist V: The New Mythology Suite by Symphony X. I like Symphony X, but those lyrics are just stupid. Agent Orange by Sodom. The riffs are nice, but they repeat far too often for my liking. The Heart Of Everything by Within Temptation Ripples by Above Symmetry Amaranthe's self-titled debut

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Tales of a thousand lakes by Amorphis, just boring flat music that doesn't compete with similar albums by early Septic flesh or hell even Paradise lost. Below the lights by Enslaved, a few of the keyboard sections were decent in certain songs, but the mixture of black metal and prog never worked for that album. Into the depths of Ryleh by Catacombs, boring plodding music that people claim is the heaviest thing ever, when its just the same repeated riff over and over for nineteen minutes and the occasiona ROOOAHHHRRR. Night of the storm rider by Iced Earth, supposedly power/thrash but all it is is a bunch of weak galloping riffs and overdrawn epic sections. Anything by Bolt thrower. Anything by Carpathian Forest. Absolutely everything by Opeth and Agalloch.. I could think of more but I am incredibly tired.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Tales sits between Amorphis' two high points IMO, so I don't value it quite as much as the albums around it. I used to find it quite boring, it took me a few years to really get into what they were doing there, but now I enjoy it. I'm a big Enslaved fan, they're in my top 3 favorite bands ever, so I have a hard time being objective about them. However, Below the Lights is one I seldom here people gushing over like they would Isa, Monumension, Mardraum, Frost, or Vikingligr Veldi. Some of those albums are divisive, but it's not often that I hear the same vehement praise or scorn with that one as the others I listed, so I have a hard time calling it overrated. It's not just the riffs that make Catacombs, it's the creepy and crawling melodies. It seems like you take an issue with most funeral doom, so trying to argue this one further would be pointless. Bolt Thrower was one of the most influential death metal bands out there, with all sides of the Scandinavian sound owing a great deal to them. They're also heavy as fuck, and I think they're one of the best European death metal bands out there. Never been big on Carpathian Forest either, but their first EP isn't bad. Most people either love or hate Opeth and Agalloch, so this is not surprising. I would venture a guess that you would also add Devin Townsend to this list?

Re: Albums you feel are overrated Agalloch is a good band but they are VERY overrated. Pale Folklore was 3/10 at best with the Mantle being a 4.5/10 at best. Ashes Against the Grain is an 8.5/10. Part of my lower ratings for their first two albums is easily based on the fact that they were described as nothing short of gods to me prior to my purchasing of their CD's. I'd have liked them more and given them a fairer chance had they not been deified. Tales is a painfully boring album. Enslaved stopping being good after ELD. Catacombs isn't the heaviest thing but they are/were very heavy and excellent Funeral Doom. Bolt thrower is a fun band with all their material being interchangeable (like Amon Amarth) Carpathian Forest is a band I can't comment on since I've never heard their music. Everything Iced Earth has done has been blown out of proportion. Stormrider, Burnt Offerings & Dark Saga withstanding.

I can see how people can not adore Covenant compared to Altars it lacks most of the vitriol, I love it because of that guitar tone and well its just a good album to me. Same with Live in Leipzig really, there is no real contention there even though I love that live album as well.
I did give Covenant a fair chance. I still own it in fact, it's just a boring album to me. Alters, Blessed & Domination are their best IMO. That's where I stopped with MA. I really didn't like what came after that, however over time I've grown to like some of what I heard on Gateways. Perhaps I'll pick it up one day. BlutausNord played "Frozen Moon" (of whatever it's called) and I really liked it. I bought the album a few days later and it was a real let down. It's one that I'm looking to get rid of. The only Mayhem album I've truly liked was Grand Declaration of War.

Re: Albums you feel are overrated some more albums I think are over-rated Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast, it's a good album but it's so over-played I can't even listen to the album anymore Metallica - Self Titled aka the black album pretty much every Exodus album pretty much every Testament album every Sabaton album every Korn album

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast, it's a good album but it's so over-played I can't even listen to the album anymore
It's a good album but they did better. It is a bit over blown, but it was Bruce's introduction to Maidens fan base and a phenomenal NWOBHM effort.