sup nerds

ButterLettuss

10 minutes ago, ButterLettuss said:

I think my favourite thing about sludge might be the band names.  I know what you mean though, transitions take forever and unless you're invested in the genre as a statement it can be a little much

One guy on Facebook used the phrase "slugfuck pacing" which certainly gave me a chuckle. Definitely gotta integrate that one into my vocabulary.

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I think it was from Miasma. The vocals are pure deathcore mate and the melodic approach is too. Just hammering out a couple of chords making a melody doesn't make you melodeath. Nor do influences bear any significance on your genre. Mayhem were influenced by Venom, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, and Bathory yet their black metal sound is nothing like those bands.

To me melodeath is more like

To be fair, Miasma is one of their earliest records and their sound has expanded a lot since then.  I know what you're saying with influences not dictating current sound, but they definitely dictate direction if nothing else.  It's funny because I listened to both of these bands and honestly there are a lot of similarities between TBDM 09-current and both of these songs.  I bet you won't agree but I can definitely sense a similarity and stand by their genre.  Maybe they don't fit the exact mould for a melodic death metal band but you could say that about a lot of bands in their respective genres.  From what I can tell they have a lot more in common with this than with deathcore.

14 minutes ago, Iceni said:

One guy on Facebook used the phrase "slugfuck pacing" which certainly gave me a chuckle. Definitely gotta integrate that one into my vocabulary.

Haha fuck yeah.  That's what I'm going to tell people when they ask if I can play the music I listen to.

Wouldn't that phrase be much more applicable to Funeral Doom though? Sludge isn't always crazy slow. Certainly it's more then 30bpm like Skepticism and Thergothen (both bands I love).

Perhaps there are some similarities, I'd say there are plenty of differences as well. Anata are a bit more tech-death but fuck those melodies are catchy. Great now I have to spin that album again...

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Certainly it's more then 30bpm like Skepticism and Thergothen (both bands I love).

Hehe. :D I was all ready to come bitch slap you for badmouthing Skepticism but you redeemed yourself instantly. :D 

btw thanks for introducing me to Anata, i quite enjoy that band and for some reason never heard of it before!

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Wouldn't that phrase be much more applicable to Funeral Doom though? Sludge isn't always crazy slow. Certainly it's more then 30bpm like Skepticism and Thergothen (both bands I love).

Perhaps there are some similarities, I'd say there are plenty of differences as well. Anata are a bit more tech-death but fuck those melodies are catchy. Great now I have to spin that album again...

Agreed! Also i must thank you (and FatherAllabaster apparently) for suggesting anata as theyre amazing, and for reminding me how much i love arch enemy :)

Anata rules, The Conductor's Departure is one of my favorite tech death albums. @ButterLettuss, given some of your other taste, you might enjoy last year's albums by Virvum and Burial In The Sky if you haven't heard them yet.

Edit - links:

https://virvum.bandcamp.com/album/illuminance

https://burialintheskytheband.bandcamp.com/album/persistence-of-thought

6 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Anata rules, The Conductor's Departure is one of my favorite tech death albums. @ButterLettuss, given some of your other taste, you might enjoy last year's albums by Virvum and Burial In The Sky if you haven't heard them yet.

Edit - links:

https://virvum.bandcamp.com/album/illuminance

https://burialintheskytheband.bandcamp.com/album/persistence-of-thought

Both of these bands are excellent, you must be some kind of death metal savant.

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

There should be a rule against death metal being as catchy and heavy at the same time as Anata. The Conductor's Departure is memorable to the point I had to learn a song from that album on guitar just to get it out of there. P.S didn't work...

Dude, I totally see what you mean.  It's both brutal and enticing at the same time.  Also props to you for learning stuff from that album, it's a piece of art (both guitar and the drums... I'm in awe!).

On 10/31/2017 at 12:13 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Had to check for a second to make sure I was thinking of the right band. Yes, I was, TBDM are deathcore/melodic deathcore as best I can tell. Really not much tying them to melodic death metal in my opinion. Melodeath is more like early Arch Enemy, early Dark Tranquillity, early At The Gates, Enforsaken etc. A case could be made for Anata as well at a stretch.

I do apologise if it seems like I'm coming down hard on a band you dig. No issue with you liking them or anything I'm just kind of venting.

They're not a deathcore band, what you're reacting to is the modern production. They're sort of the epitome of the latter-day At The Gates-inspired school of modern melodeath. The late 90s Gothenburg sound had a lot of influence on a popular strain of contemporary melodic metalcore, so I think it's easy to identify certain parts of the "sound" with some kind of -core influence. I tend to like early melodeath a lot better than newer stuff, but saying there isn't much tying them to melodic DM is ignoring about 20 years worth of development.

I did check out Nightbringers... TBDM is still not my thing. I won't hate on them, I think they're good musicians and I've heard they're cool guys as well. I've been checking them out here and there since the debut. There were a couple of parts I liked, but in general the tonality and song structure and production choices grate on my nerves. I have a similar dislike for At The Gates from SOTS on. For whatever it's worth, I liked Nightbringers better than At War With Reality.

3 hours ago, ButterLettuss said:

Both of these bands are excellent, you must be some kind of death metal savant.

Cool, glad you like them, seemed like they might appeal. Are you familiar with Fractal Universe or Inanimate Existence at all? Both have strong modern tech DM releases this year, if not quite as glossily melodic as the other two I recommended. 

https://fractaluniverseband.bandcamp.com/album/engram-of-decline

https://theartisanera.bandcamp.com/album/underneath-a-melting-sky

12 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

They're not a deathcore band, what you're reacting to is the modern production. They're sort of the epitome of the latter-day At The Gates-inspired school of modern melodeath. The late 90s Gothenburg sound had a lot of influence on a popular strain of contemporary melodic metalcore, so I think it's easy to identify certain parts of the "sound" with some kind of -core influence. I tend to like early melodeath a lot better than newer stuff, but saying there isn't much tying them to melodic DM is ignoring about 20 years worth of development.

I did check out Nightbringers... TBDM is still not my thing. I won't hate on them, I think they're good musicians and I've heard they're cool guys as well. I've been checking them out here and there since the debut. There were a couple of parts I liked, but in general the tonality and song structure and production choices grate on my nerves. I have a similar dislike for At The Gates from SOTS on. For whatever it's worth, I liked Nightbringers better than At War With Reality.

Cool, glad you like them, seemed like they might appeal. Are you familiar with Fractal Universe or Inanimate Existence at all? Both have strong modern tech DM releases this year, if not quite as glossily melodic as the other two I recommended. 

https://fractaluniverseband.bandcamp.com/album/engram-of-decline

https://theartisanera.bandcamp.com/album/underneath-a-melting-sky

That is an excellent description!  I know a lot of people don't love their sound, and to be honest it took me a while to get in to them myself.  I checked out both of those albums and love them both, especially Engram of Decline!  How do you stay up to date with all of these releases?

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I stand corrected then. Still don't like tbdm and I'll leave it there.

haha sounds good to me!  For the sake of personal exploration, what's your current band of choice?

18 minutes ago, ButterLettuss said:

I checked out both of those albums and love them both, especially Engram of Decline!  How do you stay up to date with all of these releases?

Ha, I don't, I'm woefully behind compared to many of my friends online. I could probably come up with a few more bands you might enjoy in that vein, though. There's so much stuff coming out all the time, I just have to follow my mood and listen to what I can when I have a chance.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Ha, I don't, I'm woefully behind compared to many of my friends online. I could probably come up with a few more bands you might enjoy in that vein, though. There's so much stuff coming out all the time, I just have to follow my mood and listen to what I can when I have a chance.

There certainly does seem to be a lot of high quality music coming out these days!  Bahh to those who say we don't live in a golden age of music.

30 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Well you're honest at least lol. Also far more on top of things then me. With money so tight I try to avoid looking at new releases otherwise it bums me out that I can't afford to buy new albums...

I am in much the same boat... my wallet can only bleed so much!