The Official Country Of Metal Poll

dilatedmind

Re: The Official Country Of Metal Poll Well, I've done some bands per capita analysis. This isn't conclusive, but according to population data and Encyclopedia Metallum, I found the following. Feel free to do your own research if you like. France is about as metal at the United States, at approximately 18,000 people per metal band. Both are more metal than the UK, which has 20,000 people per band. Australia and Canada are a bit better at 15,000 and 14,000 people per band respectively. The Benelux area loves metal about as much as Germany, at 10,000 people per band with Luxembourg being the most metal of them with 8,000 people per band. The Scandinavian region is definitely one of the most metal places in the world. Denmark is the least metal of all the countries in the Scandinavian region with a band to person ratio similar to Luxembourg. Iceland is next with 4500 people per band, close to Norway at 4000 people per band. Sweden has 3000 people per band, putting it in second place. So, as I guessed, Finland is the most metal country from the limited research I did. 2000 people per band is pretty difficult to beat. They have a lot of big-name acts for such a small population.

Re: The Official Country Of Metal Poll There is no official country for metal. Finely crafted metal can come from any region. That's all I have to add. Also, basing this question off of how many people are in metal bands per country isn't a concise way to judge this, at least in my opinion. That just leaves more room for drivel to be created.

Re: The Official Country Of Metal Poll

There is no official country for metal. Finely crafted metal can come from any region. That's all I have to add. Also, basing this question off of how many people are in metal bands per country isn't a concise way to judge this, at least in my opinion. That just leaves more room for drivel to be created.
This is the weakness in my research. Doing more precise analysis would take a lot more time. Personally, based on professionalism alone, I would call Sweden the most metal country since they tend to produce a lot of metal, and very good stuff too. Based on my informal per capita analysis Finland came out on top but I tend not to like their most famous acts. Sweden is more consistent. Germany is also quite good.

England is the obvious choice' date=' after all we in the Blackcountry pretty much invented it :)[/quote'] The Chinese discovered gunpowder but Americans, Germans, Swiss and Belgians arguably make the best guns.

Re: The Official Country Of Metal Poll I would say Sweden, Mostly Becuse it was Scar Symmetry who Got me into metal at the first place, But, Good Metal music Can come from Anywhere, Just depends On the person maing it, and He/she Listens To the music, So i think that Sweden Is the most Metal Country

I can assure you' date=' the original is far better than those who "work on it".[/quote'] I disagree immensely. Older definitely does not mean better. If I compare the technicality of the average Iron Savior song to the average Black Sabbath song, I find the Greeks come out ahead. TMA said that the English did not invent all subgenres, and here I agree. Queensryche may have been first in prog, and I like them, but there isn't really a comparison between them and Suspyre. Suspyre is totally different and very original even though they fall squarely into prog. they have developed the genre, so we can safely say that they have worked on it. Dreamscape and Vanden Plas also invented their own sound (which seems uniquely German), while Astra and Empyrios have their own brand of prog. Likewise with Circus Maximus and Seventh Wonder. I'll avoid going into debate mode, since that will just annoy everyone, but I think the newer stuff is often just as good if not better. And the upside of that is that you're always finding new material. Almah, Myrath and Redemption release new albums this month! :mrgreen:

Re: The Official Country Of Metal Poll I agree with Iceni. England has had ( and still has) a lot of great metal acts, but just because they helped start the genre doesn't mean it's the most metal country of them all. They are a very metal country, of course, but I believe the Scandinavian countries are the most metal in our current day and age. But of course, the 'most metal country' will always change, as long as metal stays alive and new bands/genres continue to emerge.

Yep' date=' the Scandinavian countries produce a lot of metal these days, but it's hard for me to ignore the amount of drivel coming out of Sweden, especially those cookie cutter "melodic death metal" acts.[/quote'] Good point...sometimes I cant distinguish between them and metalcore. To be fair, Finland does produce a lot of mediocre stuff too.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: The Official Country Of Metal Poll Still, though, some countries do better than others. Which country/culture has the best genre specialty? For example, French generally make good tech death. I typically associate good gothic metal with the Netherlands and symphonic power metal with Sweden. Anyone else have thoughts in this vein?

• 4 weeks later...

Re: The Official Country Of Metal Poll Depends what you you want to be the deciding factor. You could argue it by looking at the fans in that country rather than the bands it produces, though admittedly this is much harder to quantify. Bands apparently love to play in Brazil because of the fans (according to Metal Hammer at least) and they have 50 000 people per band. You could also consider the lengths that fans have to go to in some countries, while I wouldn't argue that it makes them the official country of metal, when a country has people who are prepared to risk their lives for the music I'd say that has to count for something! I for one will be very interested to see what comes out of the arab world post revolution - perhaps in a decade's time they will be be competing for the title!