wtf

MegaMetal666Head

so today i was talking to a girl i know and somewhere in the conversation she says that there are no genres such as thrash metal, metalcore, whatever. and that the only genres where heavy metal and nu metal. and nu metal only counted because it was partly rap. im trying to convince her shes wrong. i told to ask any REAL metalhead and theyd tell you there were such genres. she said no, theyd tell you that theres only metal.... so i just said fuck it and i ignored her. and im curious to know which one of us is right... opinions?

Re: wtf she clearly has very little understanding of music heavy metal is broken into many sub-genres eg. power,death,thrash,black, progressive and much more even if a band does not fit a particular sub-genre, they will still have elements from them it would not of been as bad if her argument was that metal is metal.. but metal and un-metal then excluding all other sub-genres...it doesn't make seance :lol:

Re: wtf

she clearly has very little understanding of music heavy metal is broken into many sub-genres eg. power,death,thrash,black, progressive and much more even if a band does not fit a pacific sub-genre, they will still have elements from them it would not of been as bad if her argument was that metal is metal.. but metal and un-metal then excluding all other sub-genres...it doesn't make seance :lol:
pacific? :lol:

this girl also hates jimi hendrix' date=' eric clapton, and led zeppelin[/quote'] It's just personal taste. I don't find any of those artists interesting either, but I certainly respect them. Seems her knowledge is only limited in metal, not the broader spectrum of music as you guys suggest. But then again, none of know us her (except MegaMetal), so how can we be sure anyway?

Re: wtf Either you're totally misrepresenting what this girl said or she's an amazing moron. True enough, I've met people who seem to think that metalcore and old-school heavy metal constitute the entirety of metal, :roll: but that's because they're ignorant or confused, not informed. This is why people need to listen to more of this stuff. I think your average listener would call Metallica heavy metal even though they're actually thrash. Just describe the differences very plainly to her, show her some samples and point out the differences while she's listening. I had to get a bit of a metal education to figure out what I liked, so help her get hers. So...what does she like?

True enough, I've met people who seem to think that metalcore and old-school heavy metal constitute the entirety of metal, :roll: but that's because they're ignorant or confused, not informed.
I've had similar experiences, except I've had people tell me anything that doesn't have harsh vocals isn't metal. Ludicrous. In your case, some people won't accept evolution (for people who only like trad. heavy metal), or they're just downright, well, stolid. MegaMetal can "educate" her all she wants, but if she doesn't want to listen, it's a lost cause. He should just let it go and move on. No point in fretting over this. It's all music regardless of how you classify it (or don't for that matter).

I've had similar experiences, except I've had people tell me anything that doesn't have harsh vocals isn't metal. Ludicrous. In your case, some people won't accept evolution (for people who only like trad. heavy metal), or they're just downright, well, stolid. MegaMetal can "educate" her all she wants, but if she doesn't want to listen, it's a lost cause. He should just let it go and move on. No point in fretting over this. It's all music regardless of how you classify it (or don't for that matter).
On the other hand, if she is willing to listen, we might get another member for the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

worse yet i came across a couple people that only listen to bands like BMTH' date=' asking Alexandria, A7x so on calming to be a metal fan then... insulting all older and different sub-genres of metal with out a reasonable argument "there shite"...[/quote'] I'm just going to say this now, due to the fact that it's come up a bit through this thread. Metalcore is not a subgenre of metal, it's a subgenre of punk, strictly speaking. But the point I was going to make here was that it doesn't sound like she's not interested, just ignorant. I've educated a few people in metal and subgenres. The easiest way, I found, was to send them links to polar opposites, and say what subgenre they are, and then reinforce that during the rest of the education, while showing multiple other genres, and explaining the difference.

I'm just going to say this now' date=' due to the fact that it's come up a bit through this thread. Metalcore is not a subgenre of metal, it's a subgenre of punk, strictly speaking. But the point I was going to make here was that it doesn't sound like she's not interested, just ignorant. I've educated a few people in metal and subgenres. The easiest way, I found, was to send them links to polar opposites, and say what subgenre they are, and then reinforce that during the rest of the education, while showing multiple other genres, and explaining the difference.[/quote'] That would be my policy. I would be thrilled to see people's reactions if only they paid attention to what I was saying... :evil: But metalcore's not a subgenre of metal? Thank heavens. That explains why we don't have a metalcore section. P.S. Get yourself a profile picture, my man. An upstanding poster like yourself shouldn't be faceless. :)

Re: wtf I also have something I intend to use, but I've tried to put it up more than once, and it wouldn't let me. *sigh* I think that when talking to people about metal, you can't speak to somebody who isn't willing to listen. And you need to show them in a way they will understand I'm afraid. That's often the hard part. How did one of the Metal Forum Royalty not know that metalcore, or in fact, anything that says "core" at the end, isn't actually a subgenre of metal? I am confused by that.

I also have something I intend to use, but I've tried to put it up more than once, and it wouldn't let me. *sigh* I think that when talking to people about metal, you can't speak to somebody who isn't willing to listen. And you need to show them in a way they will understand I'm afraid. That's often the hard part. How did one of the Metal Forum Royalty not know that metalcore, or in fact, anything that says "core" at the end, isn't actually a subgenre of metal? I am confused by that.
Remember that Royalty status comes because you have more than 100 posts. Just because you're metal royalty doesn't necessarily mean that you are more knowledgeable than anyone else on the forum. I can talk like there's no tomorrow, so that's why I'm Royalty now. Anyhow, I've heard a LOT of metalcore (got a friend who's nuts about it), and some of it did seem pretty metal. I'd classify August Burns Red, For Today, A Plea For Purging, Sylosis, and Threat Signal as metalcore, but all of them do have pretty metal elements.

Re: wtf Yeah, I know, I just thought I'd joke about it... I would have said that Threat Signal were melodeath though. The others there, I haven't listened to. This is the problem with genre. Anywho, core comes from "Hardcore/punk" and if you put a core cd onto itunes, it's preprogrammed as "Punk", not "Metal". Also, go onto http://www.metalarchives.com I think it was... it's Encyclopaedia Metallum. Searching any core band won't actually yield a result, but if you search local bands it will.

Yeah, I know, I just thought I'd joke about it... I would have said that Threat Signal were melodeath though. The others there, I haven't listened to. This is the problem with genre. Anywho, core comes from "Hardcore/punk" and if you put a core cd onto itunes, it's preprogrammed as "Punk", not "Metal". Also, go onto http://www.metalarchives.com I think it was... it's Encyclopaedia Metallum. Searching any core band won't actually yield a result, but if you search local bands it will.
I've searched As I Lay Dying and I found them...but yeah, I use Encyclopedia Metallum all the time, love that site. How else am I going to find Botswanan death metal? Also, I wouldn't trust a music service's classification. Amazon categorized Gorod, one of my favorite technical death metal bands, as Classic Rock. They put Dark Tranquillity, Orphaned Land, Symphony X and Redemption in this category as well. They also classified power metal band Theocracy as Reggae. :|

Re: wtf Don't know about that, they've got Pitbulls In The Nursery's only album available on Mp3...pretty surprising. Ugly name, and weird stupid lyrics...but an awesome band. Amazon is also reliable about my purchases, unlike Napster who quit selling Mp3 cards and didn't provide the album art.

Gaahhhh I clearly don't know enough D:
You just don't know what I know. But I also didn't know about most of bands you've recommended to me, so I don't think you suffer from lack of knowledge at all. P.S. They have Illogicist too, yayyy! :mrgreen: