Greetings From the Desert Land

Iceni

When the United States wanted a top-secret laboratory for Enrico Fermi, Robert Oppenheimer and Albert Einstein to flesh out their idea for a superweapon, guess where they looked? My home state of New Mexico. It has carried on its proud tradition of being dry, desolate and known primarily for being the birthplace of the atom bomb. Unfortunately, nuclear blasts at Trinity site do not equal Nuclear Blast on the record label. :| The music scene here is filled to the brim with obnoxious drivel. When I'm not listening to the umpteenth country or 50's rock n' roll group at the local concert series, I'm being barraged with the apish bass thump of your generic rap music or some ear-grating pop. Then there's the alt-rock, punk rock and hardcore, which helps me understand why Dying Fetus wants to destroy things so often. Granted, there's some good classical guitar music and the man teaching me guitar is a Brazilian jazz player by trade. By and large, however, New Mexico is indeed a desert land as far as metal goes. For that matter, the US is pretty desolate. I've got to go all the way to Atlanta for ProgPower USA...if only... :( At any rate, I'm a weird conglomerate of apparently diametrically opposed traits. I am a Presbyterian Christian who believes in old-earth creation. I am an avid Harry Potter fan. I have what most people would call a mullet. In addition to that, I am, of course, a metalhead. My favorite genres are: progressive power metal, progressive metal, symphonic power metal, technical death metal, melodeath and folk metal. Some of my top bands, their countries of origin and metal type: Harmony- Swedish Christian progpower. My favorite band of all time - their album Chapter II: the Aftermath is top-notch Threshold- English progressive metal. I like their later material with Andrew MacDermott and their enthusiasm Darksun - Spanish symphonic power metal. As the name suggests, it's dark music. Galloglass - German power metal. This is gutsy power metal about dragonslaying. Oxymoron? Maybe not... Seventh Wonder -Swedish progressive metal. Utterly top-notch material. Iron Savior - more German power metal.These guys are more traditional, but that just means the guitars scream louder. Thy Majestie - Italian symphonic power metal. Their album Jeanne d'Arc tells the story of the French heroine very well Sabaton - Swedish power metal with a powerful punch, singing about about WAR! 7days - Swedish progpower. They're a lot like Harmony but at a slower tempo. Aletheian - American technical death metal. Their musicianship is good and their lyrics are pretty hard to beat. Miseration - Swedish technical/melodic death metal. Yes, Christian metal can destroy, if you've got Scar Symmetry's vocalist. Scar Symmetry- I can't imagine they need an introduction. Amazing Swedish progressive death metal HammerFall - well, they once were the Swedish kings of power metal in my book. Their early-to mid-year material's still good. Raintime - Italian melodeath with a large emphasis on melody. Flies and Lies is their only good album in my opinion. Dark Tranquillity - again, don't think I'll bother...see Scar Symmetry... Heidevolk - my favorite folk metal band. These Dutch Saxons bring a refreshing take on the genre. Svartsot - Danish folk metal. Some of their songs are in jig-time so you who do Scottish dance can pas-de-basque to it. Symphony X- a band that gets the publicity they deserve. :P Redemption - impassioned American prog metal, fast becoming one of my favorite bands. Quo Vadis - Canadian tech death masters. Sympathy- a little-known but highly impressive Canadian Christian tech death band. Check out their song Potter's Field. Battlelore- Finnish battle metal which never fails to impress me. Their new album Doombound is out Random Eyes - another good Finnish band with a bit of a rock vibe, but still good progressive metal material. HB - probably my favorite gothic metal band. They're also from Finland. Pikki Lihassa is probably their best material. Orphaned Land - made me respect the Hebrews... I just got interested in them recently. Apologies for the long list; I'm planning to major in international relations so I need to be able to generate lots of material off the top of my head. :mrgreen: Anyhow, I very much looking forward to meeting a more international gamut of metal brethren!

Re: Greetings From the Desert Land Thank you all very much. I also forgot to list the Tunisian band Myrath. They're a lot like Symphony X if they went more progressive and had Middle Eastern folk music influences. Definitely a band which deserves more publicity. The name means 'legacy' in Arabic. I hope that's what they'll leave! As for Metal4EffingEver (I apologize if my capitalization is wrong), it's my brother who recommended the forum. Since I didn't get any viruses I decided it was worth a shot joining.

Re: Greetings From the Desert Land

Welcome! \m/ Glad to see more prog-fans! :D
Well, I lack a proper appreciation of Pain Of Salvation, Porcupine Tree or Tiles. Maybe it's just because I'm too impatient for crunch. That would also explain why I haven't got any Opeth yet, even though everything I hear from them is good. :| I love a good riff but I don't want to have to wait through 2 minutes of intro just to get to it and then only get 30 seconds worth of awesome before they do something else. But prog metal is, I think, the most under-appreciated metal genre. Even other metalheads don't like it. Death metal fans say it lacks guts, and it's too odd for everyone else. BAH HUMBUG! :evil: Listen to Redemption or the latest Threshold and tell me you don't get the best of all worlds: enthusiasm, musicianship and lyrics.

Welcome to the metal forum' date=' I think you might have the longest into yet :)[/quote'] Well, I was in Speech and Debate and did Foreign Extemporaneous and Impromptu speaking for four years so I'm wired to give detailed information. I figure that if one gets a more comprehensive picture of my musical tastes one will understand what kind of metalhead I am. Plus it gives one a buttload of bands to look up if one ever gets bored. Cool avatar. I loved Deathly Hallows and Prisoner of Azkaban is my second favorite after that. Actually, I'm writing lyrics to a concept album based on Deathly Hallows' story. It's just for fun - I'm assigning character parts to certain vocalists, pretending that I could actually get top-notch musicians to play this stuff. :( Ah well, maybe I'll post it on the lyrics section of the forum.

But prog metal is, I think, the most under-appreciated metal genre. Even other metalheads don't like it. Death metal fans say it lacks guts, and it's too odd for everyone else. BAH HUMBUG! :evil: Listen to Redemption or the latest Threshold and tell me you don't get the best of all worlds: enthusiasm, musicianship and lyrics.
Certainly. Progressive music will probably always be like that; people don't understand it. The first argument I hear against prog, EVERY time, is "The songs are too long". And odd? Well of course. Unusual song structure, unusual scales and harmonies, very technical and eclectic composition, odd instrument combinations... People refuse to understand it. It's all about making something unique, that takes you through an emotional and/or spiritual journey, and often telling stories and philosophizing over big questions in life.
Cool avatar. I loved Deathly Hallows and Prisoner of Azkaban is my second favorite after that. Actually, I'm writing lyrics to a concept album based on Deathly Hallows' story. It's just for fun - I'm assigning character parts to certain vocalists, pretending that I could actually get top-notch musicians to play this stuff. :( Ah well, maybe I'll post it on the lyrics section of the forum.
Haha, sounds like you got the idea from Arjen A. Lucassen, eh? :P

Re: Greetings From the Desert Land "Haha, sounds like you got the idea from Arjen A. Lucassen, eh? :P"-AkselJ (I got the quote code wrong so I'm doing it this way) Well, I never really got around to appreciating Ayreon even though everyone says they're great. However, if he can get away with making an awesome song like Master of Darkness with keyboard-guitar duels and have Dan Swano as Luke Skywalker (Dan Swano? Really? Last I heard he was death growling...ah well, maybe he can be an amateur Alvestam in his own right :) ), Damian Wilson as Yoda, Floor Jansen as Obi-Wan ( OK, weird :| ) and Russell Allen (w00t :twisted: ) as Darth Vader, then I figure I might as well give Harry Potter a chance. After all, there are such a broad variety of themes you can address writing lyrics for that material. If you're interested I can post these lyrics in the lyrics thread. P.S. Is the song Sandrider about Dune? I've never read the books...but I always played the song during the Sarlacc Pit scene right at the beginning of Return of the Jedi coz the lyrics seemed appropriate.

I'm writing lyrics to a concept album based on Deathly Hallows' story. It's just for fun - I'm assigning character parts to certain vocalists' date=' pretending that I could actually get top-notch musicians to play this stuff. :( Ah well, maybe I'll post it on the lyrics section of the forum.[/quote'] Sounds really cool, please do :)

Righto. I think I might also try to post some topics like 'Bands You'd Like to See' or 'Optimal Band Lineups'. I'm also thinking of one on soundtracks...i.e. what do you listen to during an epic movie where John Williams simply won't do?

• 3 years later...
Garbo. How are you doing. Buddy
Check it out Deathstorm, this is Iceni's intro thread form 2011! The dude is coming up on the big 10,000 threshold. Will that make him a living embodiment of metal? I don't even know, but there will be parades, there will be fireworks, and there will be pageantry the likes of which have never yet been seen on this global hub we call the METAL FORUM! I have bumped the thread just to get things started. So props to Iceni here, and we should open up a new dedicated pageant thread, or what, I don't know. Congratulations are in order though, so lets have a party!

Hey Iceni, Look what I found. And it is no- Hey my name is Iceni, and prog-metal rocks, so hope to have some cool discussions. No, none of that, just the opposite. Top notch intro, best I've seen here. Let the Festivities Begin!!
Really? I thought it rambled and I seem a bit pleased to see myself write in this intro.

Really? I thought it rambled and I seem a bit pleased to see myself write in this intro.
Not at all, the introductory framing about the atomic bomb was entertaining, you give lots of personalizing details about interests and plans, the longish list of obscure prog bands may have been a bit pedantic but can be easily glanced over by anyone who is not very interested and anyone who is could spend days or weeks following up on it. If you were pleased with your self to be writing, so it goes, this is a place of writing. Let is be know that Gorbo oneself possess an inner geeky douchbad child endlessly pleased with themselves to be writing. Without interesting posts to read METAL FORUM is nothing, nothing I tell you! So let us all follow in the footsteps of Iceni, way over 9000, and post Post POST!!!