In search of the progressiv metal community ...

Ina

Told myself I was gonna go out there and mow the back 9 later in the arvo when it cooled down a bit, but it's 7:40 already and it never cooled down. But I just realized what I really need are some cows to take care of this for me. Or at least some goats. I can't be fucked to give a shit what the grass looks like personally, but I figure the neighbors would complain if I just gave up and left it go natural. Goats might be the way to go, they could chase the poseurs away too when they're not busy chewing on everything in sight. And I could maybe even get some free cheese out of this deal if I play my cards right.

Haha I keep some feta cheese in the fridge at all times, it's a staple here, I find it's good on a lot of things. Also like the stuff they sell in the market just labeled "goat cheese" it's great in eggs.

Don't be gatekeeping the cheese now bruv, my nu-goat-cheese is just as good as your trad Maiden cheese. Nothing worse than a hardline cheese traditionlist. 

We don't need to hug or anything, but I'm not gonna lie man, I've missed you and your sense of humor around here these last 5 months.

29 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Haha I keep some feta cheese in the fridge at all times, it's a staple here, I find it's good on a lot of things. Also like the stuff they sell in the market just labeled "goat cheese" it's great in eggs.

Don't be gatekeeping the cheese now bruv, my nu-goat-cheese is just as good as your trad Maiden cheese. Nothing worse than a hardline cheese traditionlist. 

We don't need to hug or anything, but I'm not gonna lie man, I've missed you and your sense of humor around here these last 5 months.

Likewise, and thanks man. It's good to be back. Now feta... feta can be ok in the right context. Just not goat feta. Sheep or cow, sure thing. Even orca feta might be ok. But goats. Man. I don't want to goatkeep your enjoyment but it's not for me. I do love my hard cheese - aged Queensryche, for example, a solid west coast cheese that I know you hate, but that 35-year-old stuff is so tasty. Or a nice hunk of truly sharp cheddar, like they sell at every gas station in Vermont. Also some soft cheese, like Adrian Belew's vocals on "Beat", or a good salty brie. But that peculiar British mainstream pub cheese flavor in the Iron Maidens of the world has never been my thing. It's just that I would take nearly anything over goat. They do make nice boots though.

14 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Likewise, and thanks man. It's good to be back. Now feta... feta can be ok in the right context. Just not goat feta. Sheep or cow, sure thing. Even orca feta might be ok. But goats. Man. I don't want to goatkeep your enjoyment but it's not for me. I do love my hard cheese - aged Queensryche, for example, a solid west coast cheese that I know you hate, but that 35-year-old stuff is so tasty. Or a nice hunk of truly sharp cheddar, like they sell at every gas station in Vermont. Also some soft cheese, like Adrian Belew's vocals on "Beat", or a good salty brie. But that peculiar British mainstream pub cheese flavor in the Iron Maidens of the world has never been my thing. It's just that I would take nearly anything over goat. They do make nice boots though.

Cheddar seemed to be the most popular cheese at all the markets in AUS/NZ as well because I guess it must be an easy cheese to make, and they do not carry a ton of imported specialty cheeses down there like we're used to because cheese is expensive enough already without having to pay a premium to import it from the US or Europe or wherever cheese comes from. They even sell cheese over there that's just labeled like "mild semi-soft white cheese" without an actual variety, which I've never seen in the states. But as a New Yorker seeing all that cheddar overseas seemed weird to me because I associate cheddar with upstate NY and VT. Extra shahp only please. 

Obviously I'm gonna like goat cheese the best, Archgoat is my favorite variety of the firmer Finnish goat cheeses and Goat Penis Manchego is always good too. Occasionally I'll even go for some Hellfire Havarti or some Celtic Frost Swiss or some Chasm Cotija or Sinister Gouda and Blashemophagher Mozzerella melts nicely.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:37 PM, Ina said:

Just saw Rick Beato and Ola Englunds talk together and decided to look for the community Ola reffered to.

I live in the middle of nowhere with few friends to share my taste of music with. It's sad ...

Can't find the answer I did to your request to present my taste in music.

1 hour ago, Ina said:

Never saw an answer from you, maybe it didn't post for some reason. I'm sure no one deleted it or anything. Maybe just try again?

I watched a bit of that Rick Beato-Ola Englund chat you referenced and it was weird because Rick is clearly much more of a mainstream rock and jazz guy while Ola has played in metal bands. So when OIa asked Rick "what metal bands do you like?" all he had for an answer was Sabbath and Metallica, which in 2023 is a sure sign of someone who doesn't really listen to any metal. Which is fine, to each his own, but it made me wonder how those two got together to have that chat in the first place.

Sorry we hijacked your intro thread for silliness, but we get so many people who introduce themselves and then never make another post again. 

21 hours ago, Ina said:

22 hours ago, Ina said:

The missing text was long and nice with spell check and all … that's life…

I’m from Sweden and my formative years were filled with Black Sabbath and Frank Zappa … the list is longer … BUT you should all envy me for the opportunity to have had progressive metal in its infancy, around me.

I am drawn to the real super skilled musicians especially the guitarists and the drummers. The building of the song can’t be predictable and the voice must be sharp as a knife if it’s clean singing.

Long Covid hit me and the only good with it is that I got time to revisit the music world and Spotify and wow, it had grown since I last checked. Where to start exploring? Nordic progressive metal and a couple groups I fell in love with; BlodyWood, Electric Callboy, Polyphia and Mastodon. As of today I have a 85 hours playlist to escape with. It’s a mix of my really high tempo favorites with the best progressive metal tracks that you can offer a person of my taste. 

(A troll is playing with me … or is it my fried brain … I lost a bit of the text again … but no one can accuse me of not trying.) 

So my favorites just now on my 85 hour playlist are; Periphery, Mastodon, Texture, John Petrucci, Architects (Nordic groups… Evergrey, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Leprous, Aviana, Children of Bodom, Wheel, Katatonia, Obscura and of course Meshuggah.

Rick Beato is a giant in the world of really skilled musicians. Ola “knelt before him” and recognised the great work he is doing in promoting progressive metal.

14 minutes ago, Ina said:

The missing text was long and nice with spell check and all … that's life…

I’m from Sweden and my formative years were filled with Black Sabbath and Frank Zappa … the list is longer … BUT you should all envy me for the opportunity to have had progressive metal in its infancy, around me.

I am drawn to the real super skilled musicians especially the guitarists and the drummers. The building of the song can’t be predictable and the voice must be sharp as a knife if it’s clean singing.

Long Covid hit me and the only good with it is that I got time to revisit the music world and Spotify and wow, it had grown since I last checked. Where to start exploring? Nordic progressive metal and a couple groups I fell in love with; BlodyWood, Electric Callboy, Polyphia and Mastodon. As of today I have a 85 hours playlist to escape with. It’s a mix of my really high tempo favorites with the best progressive metal tracks that you can offer a person of my taste. 

(A troll is playing with me … or is it my fried brain … I lost a bit of the text again … but no one can accuse me of not trying.) 

So my favorites just now on my 85 hour playlist are; Periphery, Mastodon, Texture, John Petrucci, Architects (Nordic groups… Evergrey, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Leprous, Aviana, Children of Bodom, Wheel, Katatonia, Obscura and of course Meshuggah.

Rick Beato is a giant in the world of really skilled musicians. Ola “knelt before him” and recognised the great work he is doing in promoting progressive metal.

Nic Nocturnal is a realy good YouTuber

On 7/28/2023 at 3:29 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Hopefully it's progressive, I've had enough of all these hidebound traditionalists.

Looks like your prayers have been answered, now you'll have someone to talk about prog metal with. As time permits of course.

1 hour ago, Ina said:

Sorry to hear about you long Covid, I hope it hasn't been too debilitating and that you're on the road to recovery.

Interesting. We have a Swede among our ranks but he's a college professor and he doesn't come around in the summer months, I think he only comes on from his office when classes are in session. I'm sure we also have some prog lovers here and some people who place a high value on extraordinary musicianship and appreciate unpredictable songwriting. There's Doc and Father Alabaster for starters, Navy and Mark maybe, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, and who knows maybe you'll coax some more of these prog heads out of hiding. I know some people like that in real life as well but I'm not one of them myself though.

Not sure how old you are but I'm getting pretty old as well (not quite sure how this possibly could have happened to me) but I look for pretty much the opposite of what you've just described in my music. I don't envy your being there to experience progressive rock/metal in its infancy, because I grew up in the midst of the prog rock era myself. And even though I was a boy, by the time I was 11 or 12 I'd become absolutely disgusted with the state of 60's and 70's rock music and pretty miserable over the dearth of heavy bands (other than Sabbath of course) that is until punk came along and saved me from prog rock hell in the mid 70's. The attitude, inherent aggression and raw energy of punk, and then of the heavy metal that punk inspired, is far more appealing to me than stellar musicianship which I often find tedious, sterile and off-putting.

I'm in the US, but a disproportionately high percentage of my music listening is spent on Nordic bands these days as well. It's amazing to me how a handful of sparsely populated countries can produce so many incredible bands. But I don't listen to any of the bands you just mentioned, I go for black and death metal of the more aggressive, non-progressive type. Till var och en sitt.

I don't have any standing here, but still us old folks need to stick together so I'd like to welcome you to our humble litte metal forum community, and I do wish you luck in your endeavor to get some stimulating conversations going about progressive music and really skiled musicians. I might have low-brow (neanderthal) taste in music, but there are plenty of others here who don't.

• 2 weeks later...