Jump to content
MacabreEternal

Parent Company of Terrorizer Magazine Dissolved

Recommended Posts

Sad news that on 29th Jan 19, Dark Arts Limited, the parent company of Terrorizer magazine was dissolved.  Story from GhostCultMag here:

 

http://www.ghostcultmag.com/parent-company-of-terrorizer-magazine-dissolved/?fbclid=IwAR1-ZJNI98JvsGlO2CsyjIDIr-QIc4dexCaTTQXodNJkCbhN93y7FC48C0M

I grew up listening to metal whilst reading Terrorizer through my teenage years and it is sad to see it go although not entirely unexpected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fjara said:

I've bought Terrorizer on and off for years, was always a good mag. Shame to hear the news.

There’s been problems for a good year or so with production and distribution of the mag.  I am expecting the Tez forum to go shortly unless Miranda keeps that on herself.  Still a member on the Tez forum as it was the first music forum I joined so although it is a bit quiet I stick around for nostalgia I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

There’s been problems for a good year or so with production and distribution of the mag.  I am expecting the Tez forum to go shortly unless Miranda keeps that on herself.  Still a member on the Tez forum as it was the first music forum I joined so although it is a bit quiet I stick around for nostalgia I suppose.

Ah I see, I used to have a subscription for a couple of years. After that I used to get it from Smiths but have seen it less and less there. Wondered why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

There’s been problems for a good year or so with production and distribution of the mag.  I am expecting the Tez forum to go shortly unless Miranda keeps that on herself.  Still a member on the Tez forum as it was the first music forum I joined so although it is a bit quiet I stick around for nostalgia I suppose.

The rot started a lot longer than a year ago. Here's my story: 

I started buying Terrorizer in 1997, and I still have at least two copies from that year. Coincidentally, I just sent @True Belief a picture of one of them a couple of days ago (the Mayhem cover). For a kid in Australia in the 90s, it was easily the best way to get news and information about quality metal bands, and the journalism was comparatively fantastic when compared with the competition. I still sometimes flick through these old editions for the historical value. 

I was a regular purchaser from newsagents for several years, even getting the newsagent to hold me a copy, until I finally took out a subscription in about 2001 I think. I was a subscriber from then through to about 2011 or 2012, I can't recall for certain, but I kept every copy and I have a garden shed full of literally hundreds of copies in cardboard boxes, smelling of lawn mower fuel now I've discovered. I once had a letter published in the letters section and my first album was reviewed when I was living in England. From memory they gave it 6/10. I had a track on one of their Fear Candy c.ds too later on. 

So anyway I was a huge supporter, until....

Back around 2012 or thereabouts - I really can't remember specifically- there were huge problems with distribution all of a sudden. Without notification the magazine stopped arriving in my mailbox and this happened to many other people as well. Month after month went by with nothing, despite having paid in full. Emails and facebook messages to the publisher went ignored, and it was quite a scandal at the time. 

I felt really let down. I had literally purchased every copy from about 1997 through to 2012 which amounted to a huge investment, and then I was literally ripped off. It wasn't just me though, it was obviously many, many people. After about six months my subscription elapsed and that was it - no renewal letter, no email. So I just let it go. All this time, however, they were updating the website and advertising on facebook, and issues were appearing in the newsagents. It was crazy. People were losing their shit over it and there was venom and vitriol on their social media platforms. 

I could be wrong about the 2012 date, but that seems to be when my collection ends so it seems about right. I had noticed that the standard of journalism had been slipping for a couple of years before that too. A quick comparison between the late 90s and early 2000s issues and the 2010s issues reveals much shorter album reviews and artist features in the later editions. As in 50% shorter. The articles about bands became more like blurbs than full stories and I never really understood why. I'm sort of amazed when I flick through the 2010-2012 issues even now at how everything became truncated and simplified.  I haven't read an issue since my subscription disappeared into the aether. 

So screw you Terrorizer. You owe me about 50 bucks for the remainder of my subscription many years ago! What bothered me much more than that, however, was the fact that you couldn't even be bothered to send me a quick note to explain what was going on. Just bizarre. And probably a "thanks" for about 15 years as a regular customer. I want it in writing and signed in blood. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a shame! Even though I never subscribed to any English written metal magazines then I used to buy them from time to time when ever I came by the international news agent at Copenhagen central train station. Magazines such Metal Hammer, Kerrang, and Terrorizer were well written and gave the reader a good update on the metal scene in general. 

But alas every thing comes to an end sooner or later. When considering that bands today can make their own updates online together with easy accessble online nterviews...of might I add unfortunately often poor quality...then  time might be up for music magazines in general

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

What a shame! Even though I never subscribed to any English written metal magazines then I used to buy them from time to time when ever I came by the international news agent at Copenhagen central train station. Magazines such Metal Hammer, Kerrang, and Terrorizer were well written and gave the reader a good update on the metal scene in general. 

But alas every thing comes to an end sooner or later. When considering that bands today can make their own updates online together with easy accessble online nterviews...of might I add unfortunately often poor quality...then  time might be up for music magazines in general

It's certainly a different world now, and I feel for any company trying to keep hardcopy publishing going on. Except Terrorizer...

It's a far cry from the 80s when Kerrang used to fly journalists out to festivals around the world, put them up in great hotels and pay all expenses, just to get a special feature! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Requiem said:

The rot started a lot longer than a year ago. Here's my story: 

I started buying Terrorizer in 1997, and I still have at least two copies from that year. Coincidentally, I just sent @True Belief a picture of one of them a couple of days ago (the Mayhem cover). For a kid in Australia in the 90s, it was easily the best way to get news and information about quality metal bands, and the journalism was comparatively fantastic when compared with the competition. I still sometimes flick through these old editions for the historical value. 

I was a regular purchaser from newsagents for several years, even getting the newsagent to hold me a copy, until I finally took out a subscription in about 2001 I think. I was a subscriber from then through to about 2011 or 2012, I can't recall for certain, but I kept every copy and I have a garden shed full of literally hundreds of copies in cardboard boxes, smelling of lawn mower fuel now I've discovered. I once had a letter published in the letters section and my first album was reviewed when I was living in England. From memory they gave it 6/10. I had a track on one of their Fear Candy c.ds too later on. 

So anyway I was a huge supporter, until....

Back around 2012 or thereabouts - I really can't remember specifically- there were huge problems with distribution all of a sudden. Without notification the magazine stopped arriving in my mailbox and this happened to many other people as well. Month after month went by with nothing, despite having paid in full. Emails and facebook messages to the publisher went ignored, and it was quite a scandal at the time. 

I felt really let down. I had literally purchased every copy from about 1997 through to 2012 which amounted to a huge investment, and then I was literally ripped off. It wasn't just me though, it was obviously many, many people. After about six months my subscription elapsed and that was it - no renewal letter, no email. So I just let it go. All this time, however, they were updating the website and advertising on facebook, and issues were appearing in the newsagents. It was crazy. People were losing their shit over it and there was venom and vitriol on their social media platforms. 

I could be wrong about the 2012 date, but that seems to be when my collection ends so it seems about right. I had noticed that the standard of journalism had been slipping for a couple of years before that too. A quick comparison between the late 90s and early 2000s issues and the 2010s issues reveals much shorter album reviews and artist features in the later editions. As in 50% shorter. The articles about bands became more like blurbs than full stories and I never really understood why. I'm sort of amazed when I flick through the 2010-2012 issues even now at how everything became truncated and simplified.  I haven't read an issue since my subscription disappeared into the aether. 

So screw you Terrorizer. You owe me about 50 bucks for the remainder of my subscription many years ago! What bothered me much more than that, however, was the fact that you couldn't even be bothered to send me a quick note to explain what was going on. Just bizarre. And probably a "thanks" for about 15 years as a regular customer. I want it in writing and signed in blood. 

 

 

Sadly, you are not the only one with this experience.  The “Mag” section of the forum was regularly populated with such tales of poor customer experience.  The owners never put out any responses,apologies or updates (in fact they never even posted on the forum).  

I am a Zero Tolerance subscriber still, I have little interest in Kerrang or Metal Hammer (the latter went through a difficult patch also in recent years) as they don’t cover the extreme side of metal too well.  Glad they still have some relevance though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

Sadly, you are not the only one with this experience.  The “Mag” section of the forum was regularly populated with such tales of poor customer experience.  The owners never put out any responses,apologies or updates (in fact they never even posted on the forum).  

I am a Zero Tolerance subscriber still, I have little interest in Kerrang or Metal Hammer (the latter went through a difficult patch also in recent years) as they don’t cover the extreme side of metal too well.  Glad they still have some relevance though.

Funny you should say that, because I actually took out a subscription with Zero Tolerance right after the Terrorizer blimp went down. The customer service was a thousand times better. I let that subscription lapse because I wasn't finding enough bands that I was personally interested in reading about. Also, the small format of the magazine I found to be a little hard to deal with - the font was bloody tiny. Why do they publish it in A5(?) size? It's like the magazine shrank in the wash...

Haven't read a Kerrang or Metal Hammer since high school in the 90s, and even then I knew there was something not quite right with them. Having said that, I've since bought an 80s copy of Kerrang on ebay for the nostalgia/history. In fact, I foolishly bought two of the same issue about six months apart if you can believe that. What a knucklehead I am. Good times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Your Ad Here
    Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
  • Our picks

    • It is fair to say that the Greek stalwarts of the Black Metal scene now have a sound that rarely ventures into the territory so well tread on "Thy Mighty Contract" and "Non Serviam" but it is also fair to say that "The Heretics" sounds from start to finish like a band who firmly stamp themselves on the metal map for 2019.  What album number thirteen from Rotting Christ does is take a measured approach to variation and repetition to build a memorable and lasting experience.

      The sound itself goes from dark and brooding metal and hard rock to almost Gothic metal proportions.  Yet at the same time that familiar melodic warmth remains in situ throughout.  More often than not there's that big soaring melodic riff riding the vocals like a surfer with his board.  "The Voice of the Universe" does this superbly as does "The Sons of Hell".  The overall feel the record as a whole leaves me with is one of ritualistic allure, tracks like "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Fire God and Fear" build well like powerful incantations being cited from voluminous tomes, flooding forwards intermittently with flowing dark melodies.


      It does remind me a lot of Behemoth ("The Satanist" Behemoth, not last years pompous bollocks Behemoth), with the theme of religion so heavily referenced but at the same time it feels like a much more cohesive effort than recent Behemoth keeping a level of consistency and restraint to the songwriting which holds the attention well.  Only once does the album visit anything like Black Metal on "I Believe", here they base a poem by Nikolaos Kazantzakis at the centre of the chaotic and frantic pace and sadly it fails miserably on my ears, coming across as just filler.  My only other criticism is that it does get a bit samey in places (namely the intros to each track).  Otherwise it is a perfectly respectable piece of dark metal.  C'mon, we can't this black metal anymore folks.

       

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • So here I am reviewing the new Drudkh album...oh...wait a minute...no apparently it isn't Drudkh, it is Windswept.  A quick look on the internet tells me that Windswept are Drudkh minus keyboards in terms of members.  Therefore Windswept is just a less atmospheric version of Drudkh?  That's not really a question as I have heard "The Onlooker" and I know it is in fact a statement of truth.

      I don't get it.  If I want to hear a Drudkh record I will just put one on.  Similarly, if I was a member of Drudkh and I wanted to make a new record, I'd just pick up the phone to my bandmates and start the writing process.  The fact that the majority of the band have made a different band just to not have atmosphere seems a little grandiose to me, although I get that the stylistic integrity of Drudkh is maintained. 

      It isn't that the album is bad.  Perfectly solid and driving, melodic BM cleverly framed by a music box intro and outro is what you get here folks.  It just sounds so much like Drudkh I can't get my head around the fact that it is just a below par Drudkh offering.  The one thing the record is crying out for is some atmosphere - THE FUCKING IRONY!


      If you can forget the existence of a Ukranian BM band called Drudkh, or perhaps have just been born into the world of BM and have no previous concept of the 3 band members here being involved in anything else then you will no doubt easily spot the merits of "The Onlooker".  For me it served no other purpose than to give me a really short review to write this week (and to put some Drudkh on).

      Based on it's merit as a standalone album = 3/5

      Hideously critical mind of a Drudkh fan rating = 2/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • When it comes to death/doom, variety is not necessarily top of the average listener's appeal list.  Usually when I review such a release I find myself typing "doesn't reinvent the wheel but does the genre justice with this solid offering" or words to that effect.  Ossuarium's debut full length falls under that banner most definitely.  Nobody is fucking around here with a saxophone to make the offering standout with some eclectic and unnecessary deviation from tradition.  If you like your death metal doomy or your doom metal deathy then chalk up a tick in your respective box folks!

      Click the link for more:
      https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/44-ossuarium-living-tomb/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • The roar has always been approaching.  As far back as three years ago when Altarage dropped their debut full length 'Nihl', this scribe could already hear the threat of their ability, feel the menace of their presence from over hills far away and sense the nefarious intent as the raw fury howled over my skin...
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • There's life in the old dog yet it seems.  It terms of original members only Phil Fasciana remains in the ranks of Malevolent Creation now and after the passing of Brett Hoffman last year you could almost forgive fans for thinking the curtain had fallen on Malevolent Creation.  The fact is that whilst "The 13th Beast" reinvents no wheels it does exhibit the sound of a band in the throes of something of a regeneration phase.  There's nothing tired sounding here, no dull interludes to build unnecessary atmosphere.  As soon as the spoken word intro to "End the Torture" finishes it is straight up thrashing death metal until the very end, some 11 tracks later.

      Although all debuting in the Malevolent full length stakes here, the 3 musicians that join Fasciana on this record are all clearly capable and qualified purveyors of their art form.  Again, I highlight that this is not far above your average DM record yet it is so assured and solid you can easily forgive it to some degree.  Lee Wollenschlaeger gives a good acquittal of himself as an established and competent vocalist, filling Hoffman's shoes nicely.  Phil Cancilla is a machine on those skins, blasting his way across the soundscape yet also using the percussion well when the occasional let up in the pace permits.  Fasciana and Wollenschlaeger work well together to keep the chug of the riffs motoring along whilst Gibbs plonks, twangs and rumbles his way through every track, allowed to be heard in the mix and show his variety without ever showboating.  For a band together for only 2 years as a four piece they sound tight and committed.

      There's no metal fan worth the denim their patches are sewn onto that doesn't look at that album cover and mouth a "fuck me, dude!"  I mean, come on, it is fucking awesome.  Like a more ornamental Predator head on a ghostly green background.  I love it when album covers are matched by the content of the record inside, and whilst there are obviously some shortfalls here, still in the main "The 13th Beast" delivers.  When they keep the track length short and succinct, Malevolent Creation are at their best.  "The Beast Awakened", "Agony for the Chosen" and "Knife at Hand" all kick serious ass.  By the same token "Born of Pain" at nearly 7 minutes long doesn't really do anything or go anywhere to justify the length attributed to it.

      Overall, I would have preferred a shorter record.  At 11 tracks the band cover a lot of ground in under 50 minutes but not all of it really needs treading.  That withstanding, never does it get grating and still the accessibility factor remains consistent enough to forgive the extra excursions present.

      So, having started slowly, January 2019 has finally delivered something worthwhile and a first physical purchase also of a new release for this year.  3/5

       
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
×