Hi Peeps

CaustixSoda

On 8/12/2016 at 9:17 AM, natassja7 said:

Hello and welcome :) what kinda stuff do you enjoy listening to?

I enjoy things like R.D.J (Aphex Twin), Devin Townsend, Kobong (Polish band), Meshuggah, Ché Aimee Dorval, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Zeppelin, Floyd... ya know anything that has a good feeling - for me - and a relevant vibe :)    

On 8/12/2016 at 10:39 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here. Let's see if we can win you over hey?

Metal is a broad genre. I'm curious as to what bands you like and what bands you consider to be 'metal'. Look forward to seeing you 'round the place.

I'm not metal, I am just simple old me. :) 

I, not meaning to sound arrogant, don't specifically like genre's. Like all labels, they tend to constrict and constrain. But, I understand genre is a needed way to categorise music in a music saturated world, right? 

I am not metal I am me. Bands I see as metal? I don't know, I just like what I hear and if it hits a spot then it's bought.

On 8/13/2016 at 11:40 PM, MacabreEternal said:

"Aggressive music"??  

Minus 50 internet points.  Read my War Metal thread and report back!  Welcome though.

yea... Aggressive music

Music that is played to release aggression inside. Don't you ever play to just release? I make all sorts depending on my mood. I'm doing ok, sometimes I don't know what I write but in terms of music I do ok. It puts me where I want to be when I need to be in that place. If I want to let out steam I play heavy or aggressively. In whatever domain I happen to choose. Having that luxury is nice. To know that's all it is and not look too deep into it meaning it's related to war or whatever is also nice.

Music is a release of emotions, regardless. Metal forums, hey, you know i've gigged with metal bands in my 20's (40 now) and done whatever and thought whatever. But those days are long gone. Music is just entertainment and simply a means to an end.

** Edit **

I can't seem to find your Read my War Metal thread and report back!  But what I can say is I have grown up in a war torn country, where I used to mistake bombs for thunder and often heard gunfire in the evening as I slept. To wake up and get from A to B via the burned out vehicles, buildings and chaotic damage caused by the previous nights carnage, but the thing was not seeing this, it was seeing this and seeing it as normal! As a young man it didn't phase me, maybe that is something that would have one reflect on the meaning of aggressive.

But I honestly can't find your thread on "war" - which I would like to read. Thanks man.

On 8/12/2016 at 10:39 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here. Let's see if we can win you over hey?

Metal is a broad genre. I'm curious as to what bands you like and what bands you consider to be 'metal'. Look forward to seeing you 'round the place.

Thanks by the way for the welcome. I never actually checked back here, I have been here there and everywhere. Rather rude of me.

Thanks for the welcome by you all.

Bands I consider metal. Why don't you ask bands which I like? Excuse that if it comes across arrogantly

• Meshuggah
  • Dillinger E.P
  • Buthole Surfers
  • Big Black
  • Kobong
  • The Man Called Tea
  • Faith No More
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Pink Floyd
  • Tom Waits
  • All things Devin Townsend
  • Ché Aimee Dorval
  • Anneke Van Giersbergen 
  • ....etc and so on, including a vast array of electronic musicians - not DJ's, guys who use the electronic domain to say what they want to say.

When I say learn a lot from the people here I mean; I'd like to understand how to express aggression, anger, frustration more using the "metal" label as a way to do it. I think that's kind of what I mean. When I'm pissed off I want you to know it through my music not me shouting or ranting and raving like a lunatic! :)

I have close friends from 2 bands, well a few more. They dig what I do, the way I think and how I approach but I'm not stupid, there is a lot more to phrasings, motifs etc. Nailing those things for a specific "genre" is like learning parts of a new language, right?

And yea, a lot of what I do is utter crap ;) pointless ideas. And I have accumulated a LOT of pointless crap!

I mostly asked that because Nat already asked the question. I thought it to be a relevant question because for some slipknot and korn are the definition of metal. Never mind that those bands AREN'T METAL!!! Forgive my arrogance but as a self-proclaimed non-metaller I thought perhaps a little metal 101 if you came back with an answer like 'you know slipknot, korn. marilyn manson' would be in order.

Also never mind Macabre he's British, British and a dick, in fact I don't believe the 'war metal' thread he mentioned even exists. Either that or it did and another moderator merged it with the 'Bestial Black Metal' thread...

BTW Devin Townsend is awesome. Ziltoid The Omniscient is one of my favourite progressive metal albums ever. So much so in fact that it sits inside the top 30 on our '1001 albums to hear before you die' thread.

Aha, yea... I got ya. Devin used to email me back in 92'ish... I remember it well. He would always answer my constant questions lol. But hey you know what, he actually emailed back and explained everything about how to produce, when I was on Cubase .01 (or whatever) and plugged into the back of my Desktop PC with absolute crap equipment to record with! 

Hey Transcendence is released soon! I can't wait! Lived a bit in Australia myself, Sydney, Perth and Melbourne. A few times there, I've have family there.

But yea, he's also on the top of my greats list. 

Chuck Schuldiner tops that list for me these days. One of my biggest influences as a guitarist.

I'm a bit like you in that I listen to music which speaks to me in a profound way. That covers most sub-genres of metal along with prog rock, blues, a bit of jazz, some punk, and classical.

Australia is great. I live in Adelaide. Picture a smaller, cleaner, Melbourne and that's us...

Just checked Chuck there, I will listen more to the guy. Quite talented! There's a live performance I have simply fallen in love with, man I mean this just kills. 

Love it, the guys are great guys too. Nice blokes, just down to earth! And hey Adelaide eh? Is that where weed is legal ;) 

Gojira PRO SHOT Private Concert 2016

Nice chatting bro!!! I will be heading back there again sometime, my cousin is in QLD at the moment working. He's asked me to come say what's up, get the VB & J.D on the go!

No weed isn't legal here yet. We are the wine capital of Australia though. Chances are any Aussie wine you've seen was made right here. Also if you want a decent Australian beer VB is so not the way to go. James Boags for a reasonable lager or if ale is more your thing James Squire do an ok to good pale.

Yeah Chuck was a rad dude and a forward thinking guitarist. I've said many times before his work in Death is nearly flawless and vocals aside Control Denied are just as formidable.

1 minute ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

No weed isn't legal here yet. We are the wine capital of Australia though. Chances are any Aussie wine you've seen was made right here. Also if you want a decent Australian beer VB is so not the way to go. James Boags for a reasonable lager or if ale is more your thing James Squire do an ok to good pale.

Yeah Chuck was a rad dude and a forward thinking guitarist. I've said many times before his work in Death is nearly flawless and vocals aside Control Denied are just as formidable.

Mate I really didn't dig VB or EB haha!!!! I will 100% take the lager recommendation on board!!! VB & EB tastes like sand lol... but hey the drink drive throughs I found quite liberating! 

Checking Chuck out as we speak man! Yea.... defo ahead of his time and these are oldies on YouTube!!!!

The way he brought rock n roll influences into death metal on Death's last album whilst keeping the progressive aspect intact...

I can only imagine what he might be doing today were he still with us. At least he left us one hell of a varied discography as his legacy.

People don't drink VB, West End, and Fosters 'cause it's good. They drink it 'cause that shit's dirt cheap. I want to enjoy my drink not slam it down 'cause after five or six I won't notice how awful it is. That reminds me - think it's time for another top shelf bottle of scotch to come home with me...

Suppose that's where the JD came into play :) wash away the sand!

There was a beer there I drank, it comes from Thailand - lived in the North close to Chiang Rai, like a bloody gypsy I am! - it's called Chang? I love that beer. You could buy it in Australia, was one of the best beers I've drank period, strong but man it tasted smooth! It won an Aussie beer award, if I remember correctly.

By the way, off the record, I've had 2 birthdays in Australia on 26th January! lol... fireworks and full on parties, I just mentally pretended it was all for me :D haha... yea miss the place, more so the family mate. I'll be back - as they say!

The thing I love most about Australia (and damn there's a lot I love about this country) is how friendly the people are by and large. I've done a little travelling (UK, France, and Thailand) but nowhere have I met people who welcome you like we do. Doesn't matter if you're a true blue Aussie larrikin or visiting our sun-baked land for the first time you'll get the same friendly G'Day and if the pub's open we'll knock a few down with ya.

Come to N.Ireland :) there's friendly then there's just downright weirdness. We take it to a different level. Polish came here so we instead of fighting with each other started fighting them, now we drink together and fight each other again - just with fists though and harsh language and sometimes the Poles actually help, it's comedy.... I mean man, Monty Python episodes could be made of this stuff!

I find people are what make a place. I've been mugged, drugged, robbed (was not there all belongings stolen), arrested in S.E Asia, beat up (in Australia - over pool of all things), held at knife point. Man these all happened in different countries. I've met dick-heads everywhere and I've met the nicest people in the same places. 

I walked away and figured race isn't an issue, people's attitudes and personalities are what cause the shit. You seem to be part of the decent folks you'd like to meet on your travels. It was an Aussie I lived with in Thailand for one time I was there, he invited me to his parents, I stayed with them for 2 weeks bro! In their family home. A stranger, I mean I just knew the guy - you get to know someone very quick travelling as you know yourself - but I just knew him less than 4 months. Kept in touch for years mate and then one day lost touch with him. James Passmore, from Sydney, Epping. One of the nicest most giving families I have had the pleasure to experience life with. 

Moments like that man, you can't buy them. I never take that shit for granted. You're right, apart from the usual - as we all do - brawls I was involved in Australia, yea, it was proper good craic. Very like us. But then again, the same can be said about everyone when you strip away the aesthetics and look at the person.

Props man! :)

Sucks you've experienced so much of the bad stuff. So far my travelling has all been done with family. Hoping to change that next year with a solo trip to the US.

You're right though it comes down to the people you meet along the way. Forums can also be great for the same reason. You get to meet so many people. Some awesome, some who need a smack in the head. All the regulars here are pretty good blokes though and honestly I consider them friends.

Kind of hoping to meet some of our regulars next year at Maryland Death Fest.

Welcome to the forum. Metal is like beer. You don't need to be a snob to enjoy it, but there's a lot of fun to be found in the details if you want to put the time into learning about it. The more you dig around, the more you'll realize that a lot (though not all) of subgenre labels are there for a reason. It's not about arguing over what box to put something in (which does happen a lot, and is often pointless); it's about describing music more accurately and trying to trace a lineage of influences. Still not an entirely objective pursuit, but it's not just hair-splitting. If you don't want to cut things down that fine, that's cool too, but it's a personal choice you're making not to care about some details as much as some of the rest of us.

Overthinking all that can get in the way of being creative; I've definitely hit points of musical overstimulation in the past, and usually when I'm in the middle of writing a song I'll go for days without listening to anything. If your reason for exploring metal is just to find food for your own creative process, hey, do what works.

I dig what Anneke did on The Gathering's "Mandylion" and "if_then_else", but haven't followed her after that. Likewise with Devin, I like "City" and enjoy some later SYL but haven't been interested in his other projects. No disrespect to him, just doesn't draw me in. Faith No More's "Angel Dust" is an all time favorite of mine. If by "Dillinger EP" you mean the one they did with Patton, that's got some cool stuff on it, but I prefer Dimitri's voice on "Calculating Infinity". I'm big on harsh vocals though, often the harsher the better IMO. Love some Waters-era Floyd, and Meshuggah up to "Nothing".

It seems like your picks in general are a bit more expansive and I daresay polished, rather than being very aggressive. What kind of aggression are you looking for? 

Hi just back... I've played bass, guitar and piano for a long time. I wouldn't go as far and say I am great as I have many timeouts from all, and we all know it takes a lot of practice to remain good.

What I mean is to think of music like the English language, instead of me saying "Fuck You" I would like to be able to say it with music. Use music as a language. 

The album I am writing, 9 track, when I'm done mixing and whatever I'll stick it up. It's themed and each track accurately describes emotions. I mean, taxing it can be. Sometimes it's good to step outside and learn from others, listen to different music. Aggression to me is heavy, music that speaks and not just power chords with no purpose and just for sake of a chug chug.

Aggression is just aggression translated to music. Maybe it could be an exercise for anyone, write a short sentence to describe how you feel, pick your instrument up and say it using the instrument. I am not a vocalist, I do have a vocalist, Jai Sian - again you will probably think this guy's musical taste is all over the place. But she's good, real good. She's on YouTube. It's Jazz, I also play a little Jazz too and love the minors and strange progressions. I just like the expressiveness of it all. Those bands, and yea "Nothing" absolutely rocks! I also agree, SYL was a more "angry" moment in Devin's life, which again can be seen as what I am trying to say. 

His SYL started to go down as he started to mellow out. It was under the title metal but it's just a guy letting it out and boy does City rock! Blew me away the harmonies and the absolute beauty of it. 

Anyway, that's all. I love aggressive, beauty, heartfelt, emotional, intense... I just love music that without words you know exactly how that person was/is feeling at that moment they wrote it.

Watching the Agron and Thordendal doing that Sol Niger Within medley, man you can just see those guys are totally on it. Really connected. I love that. Watching that guy Chuck Schuldiner play is again one of those things. 

Like any language, I would like to learn as much as I can and don't really see it as playing metal just saying how I feel driven through a hi-gain 5150 and saying as hard and loud as I can and walk away and feel like I have just punched a punch bag for an hour! Complete release.

I'm sure we can all relate to that in our musical endeavors? 

By the way thanks dude for the tip on Chuck Schuldiner!

8 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Also never mind Macabre he's British, British and a dick, in fact I don't believe the 'war metal' thread he mentioned even exists. Either that or it did and another moderator merged it with the 'Bestial Black Metal' thread...

This should read "never mind Macabre he's Transylvanian and addicted to human flesh. Because we moderators are all alcoholic we lose threads almost as often as we do our pants! Shush now I am eating a cat!"

41 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

This should read "never mind Macabre he's Transylvanian and addicted to human flesh. Because we moderators are all alcoholic we lose threads almost as often as we do our pants! Shush now I am eating a cat!"

?

Hey now, I'm a beer snob, not an alcoholic. Relentless is confused. I didn't touch your war metal thread. I moved the Diocletian thread, ultimately to the "Other Genres" section so you wouldn't get your uncharacteristically purist knickers in a twist. Either way I don't get the sense that war metal is the kind of caustic that caustix is looking for, but it may merit a glance.

57 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

?

Hey now, I'm a beer snob, not an alcoholic. Relentless is confused. I didn't touch your war metal thread. I moved the Diocletian thread, ultimately to the "Other Genres" section so you wouldn't get your uncharacteristically purist knickers in a twist. Either way I don't get the sense that war metal is the kind of caustic that caustix is looking for, but it may merit a glance.

I am wearing your lost pants and I am twisting them to a puristy pulp!

EDIT: I should also add that this is the most fun I have had without taking other people's clothes off since I got raped by that mannequin.