Hello, Metal Forum

DeiExMachina

Hey, everyone on Metal Forum. My name is Arron, and I come from Scotland, up North in the UK. I'm a big fan of metal music, but I love rock, punk, reggae, and electronic music, along with a bunch of other cool stuff. I'm always on the look for new bands in any genre from thrash, to nu, to black, to power, and so on. Pretty much any genre, including death and metalcore. I hope I can meet some cool people on this forum, and it's a pleasure to meet you all! Oh, and apologies to anyone if I screw up the thread here. I'm brand new to forums all together and may need a bit of assistance. Thanks!

Thanks very much for the welcome, man! To answer your question, me and my friend were starting up a music project one day called Dei Ex Machina. Since we seen so many other bands called Deus Ex Machina, we decided to see what Deus ex Machina actually meant, and we found out it meant God from a Machine. We decided since it was a two-man project we'd call it Dei Ex Machina, for Gods from a machina, since there were two of us, and the name Deus Ex Machina was constantly used. Ultimately, my friend decided to quit the music project, I took up learning other instruments, and the name DeiExMachina just stuck with me. Best way to explain it! :P

Thanks very much for the welcome' date=' man! To answer your question, me and my friend were starting up a music project one day called Dei Ex Machina. Since we seen so many other bands called Deus Ex Machina, we decided to see what Deus ex Machina actually meant, and we found out it meant God from a Machine. We decided since it was a two-man project we'd call it Dei Ex Machina, for Gods from a machina, since there were two of us, and the name Deus Ex Machina was constantly used. Ultimately, my friend decided to quit the music project, I took up learning other instruments, and the name DeiExMachina just stuck with me. Best way to explain it! :P[/quote'] Cool, what do you play?

Piano' date=' bass guitar, guitar, and drums. I can play drums, bass, and piano somewhat well, but guitar has been a struggle for me, because I suck at playing chords right now. Most of the stuff I play ranges from rock, metal, punk, and some classical stuff (at least on piano). Do you play any instruments?[/quote'] Very nice :) In the past I've played harpsichord, but it's been ages since I've felt keys beneath my fingers. I now play cello and am still pondering on whether to start harp or trumpet next year... What classical music are you into?

Very nice :)In the past I've played harpsichord' date=' but it's been ages since I've felt keys beneath my fingers. I now play cello and am still pondering on whether to start harp or trumpet next year...What classical music are you into?[/quote']Sweet. I love the sound of the harpsichord, and the cello's a pretty good instrument as well. I think the electronic piano (full-sized piano, by the way. I have a keyboard, but that's for some other cool sounds) has a harpsichord sound on it. Need to check soon. For next year, do as you wish. First time I took up an instrument in High School, it was the tuba... an absolute disaster, I was. My friend plays the trumpet. It's supposedly hard at first, but it get's easier. For harp, I don't know how hard that'd be, but go with whatever one you want, dude. Experiment. Variety is the spice of life. :) As for classical music I'm into, I can't really name a bunch of pieces of the top of my head. There's a few classical pieces I have on my piano. One's called Bagatelle by Anton Diabelli, and Study by Czerny. Don't know if they're exactly good classical pieces or classical pieces at all, but I like them, and I enjoy the occasional Mozart and Beethoven. I like some Baroque too. What sorta classical music d'you like?

Are you a musician too' date=' Alabaster?[/quote'] Yeah, primarily a guitarist and vocalist, for nearly 22 years now. Which means I should be a lot better than I am... :) my focus has always been writing my own stuff (mostly death and black metal) and I'm an idiosyncratic player as a result. I also play some bass, a tiny tiny bit of keyboards, really like drumming but usually program my own recordings. I've been recording for a long time too - I basically learned how by trial and error. Lots of error, if truth be told. The material I'm happiest with is up at the bandcamp link in my sig, if you want to check it out.

Yeah' date=' primarily a guitarist and vocalist, for nearly 22 years now. Which means I should be a lot better than I am... :) my focus has always been writing my own stuff (mostly death and black metal) and I'm an idiosyncratic player as a result. I also play some bass, a tiny tiny bit of keyboards, really like drumming but usually program my own recordings. I've been recording for a long time too - I basically learned how by trial and error. Lots of error, if truth be told. The material I'm happiest with is up at the bandcamp link in my sig, if you want to check it out.[/quote']I'll be sure to check out your Bandcamp, man. I've only been playing guitar and bass for 3 months, and piano and drums for a year. The main songs I know right now on bass guitar are; Paranoid Android by Radiohead, Money by Pink Floyd, Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine, R U Mine by Arctic Monkeys, and Heart-Shaped Box by Nirvana. I'm doing utter shit on guitar right now, and for drums, I kinda know a few songs, but I feel as good as a drummer as Lars Ulrich is, now-a-days... For piano, the main song I'm learning are Yesterday by the Beatles, Creep by Radiohead, and the Halo theme. You clearly have quite a knowledge in this stuff, man!

cello's a pretty good instrument
ernie.gif
One's called Bagatelle by Anton Diabelli' date=' and Study by Czerny. Don't know if they're exactly good classical pieces or classical pieces at all, but I like them, and I enjoy the occasional Mozart and Beethoven. I like some Baroque too. What sorta classical music d'you like?

I actually hear my mum listen to a lot of stuff like Strauss and Chopin. Also a lot of Kate Bush and Lou Reed, but that's another story. I've heard the name Hummel, but I can't say I've listened to any of his pieces. It's to the point where I like classical music, but I never get around to deeply research the composer, unlike with rock and metal music. Similarly to reggae music, the reggae artists I can name off the top of my head are Bob Marley and the Wailers, and UB40. I like their stuff and do take interest in reggae music, but I never get around to listening to more reggae music. But about the classical music, I do like Andre Rieu. Very good composer and violinist. Also, that Muppets .gif fucking killed me.

I actually hear my mum listen to a lot of stuff like Strauss and Chopin. Also a lot of Kate Bush and Lou Reed' date=' but that's another story. I've heard the name Hummel, but I can't say I've listened to any of his pieces. It's to the point where I like classical music, but I never get around to deeply research the composer[/quote'] That's a pity. I obviously can't force you to dig deeper, but I can confirm it wouldn't hurt. Classical music is immensely inspiring, especially if you're a musician. Based on your previous comments, I think composers like Rameau and such could have a huge impact on your writing.

That's a pity. I obviously can't force you to dig deeper' date=' but I can confirm it wouldn't hurt. Classical music is immensely inspiring, especially if you're a musician. Based on your previous comments, I think composers like Rameau and such could have a huge impact on your writing.[/quote']Ah, I know. I do like having diversity in music, and seeing a lot of cool people on these forums with great tastes in music helps me and I can try and recommend music to you. I don't have much in the classical route, more of the rock route, and I'd say I take a lot of my rock inspiration from Radiohead and R.E.M. Of course, metal also helps me expand my writing skills further. Plus, mixing metal and classical music together somewhat sounds orgasmic. Oh, and FYI, I can't write lyrics for shit. I've noodled on bass guitar and heard some cool patterns, but every time I try to think of lyrics, it turns out to be an absolute shitfest. Here's a question I have to ask. Do you perform in any bands or record anything like FatherAlabaster?

Ah' date=' I know. I do like having diversity in music, and seeing a lot of cool people on these forums with great tastes in music helps me and I can try and recommend music to you. I don't have much in the classical route, more of the rock route, and I'd say I take a lot of my rock inspiration from Radiohead and R.E.M. Of course, metal also helps me expand my writing skills further. Plus, mixing metal and classical music together somewhat sounds orgasmic. Oh, and FYI, I can't write lyrics for shit. I've noodled on bass guitar and heard some cool patterns, but every time I try to think of lyrics, it turns out to be an absolute shitfest. Here's a question I have to ask. Do you perform in any bands or record anything like FatherAlabaster?[/quote'] Don't worry, I'm not a great lyricist either ;) I haven't had much luck with bands. I tried to get a few together and played in a couple of bands, but it never really worked out. Not long ago however, I became the cellist (and partial orchestral composer) of Necrophilia's Grave, a band from Bruges. There already is enough material to bring out a demo, but we'll see how everything goes. I've also been trying to get some people together for an experimental project called Hooblei. So yes, I (have) play(ed) in bands. As for my future recordings, assuming I'll have any: I dig Father's work, but I can't imagine making anything like it as it's simply not the direction I wish to head into.

Don't worry' date=' I'm not a great lyricist either ;)I haven't had much luck with bands. I tried to get a few together and played in a couple of bands, but it never really worked out. Not long ago however, I became the cellist (and partial orchestral composer) of Necrophilia's Grave, a band from Bruges. There already is enough material to bring out a demo, but we'll see how everything goes. I've also been trying to get some people together for an experimental project called [i']Hooblei.So yes, I (have) play(ed) in bands. As for my future recordings, assuming I'll have any: I dig Father's work, but I can't imagine making anything like it as it's simply not the direction I wish to head into.
When you do release material for Necrophilia's Grave, please let me know. I'd be very interested to hear the outcome. Also, the Hooblei project would be a good listen if you ever get around to that. After my friend no longer wanted to do the two man project thing, I've been trying to work on a new project which is quite stupid and farfetched, but has kept my mind active. Aside from that, everyone else in my school who picks Music as a subject have always stuck to either metalcore and pop punk bands. While that isn't a problem, they don't expand any further than that, so when they could put a unique edge to their music, they don't, and they play with limited passion. As much as I wish them luck, I do try to give them help, but sometimes they're too dazzled by the thought of fame.

When you do release material for Necrophilia's Grave' date=' please let me know. I'd be very interested to hear the outcome. Also, the [i']Hooblei project would be a good listen if you ever get around to that. After my friend no longer wanted to do the two man project thing, I've been trying to work on a new project which is quite stupid and farfetched, but has kept my mind active. Aside from that, everyone else in my school who picks Music as a subject have always stuck to either metalcore and pop punk bands. While that isn't a problem, they don't expand any further than that, so when they could put a unique edge to their music, they don't, and they play with limited passion. As much as I wish them luck, I do try to give them help, but sometimes they're too dazzled by the thought of fame.
I'll keep you updated :) You just made me curious. Do you mind telling us about your project idea?

I'll keep you updated :)You just made me curious. Do you mind telling us about your project idea?
Well I hate to babble on, but if you're interested, sure thing. I'll start it off thusly. If you have seen Gorillaz, you will know that they are a visual band, and there is only one person performing the instruments; a man called Damon Albarn, who done work for Blur (one of my favourite rock bands), Gorillaz, The Good, The Bad, and The Queen, and many other projects. I wanted to incorporate the idea of a one-man band and fuse it together with the look of some bands like Slipknot, Rob Zombie, and Mushroomhead, but to the point where the style isn't ripping off the idea of guys dressed up like psychos, but more or less each band member wears something with meaning. I'm still working on something like that, but the line-up would consist of a thrashy vocalist, a rhythm and lead guitarist, a lead bassist who plays the assorted solos by the lead guitarist, on bass guitar, to add a chunky feel. The lead bassist would also provide backing vocals which incorporate death metal roots. Next would be a rhythm bassist, who does the job of a normal bassist, but also accompanies the lead bassist when needed, and he would be providing backing vocals with black metal roots. Lastly, there would be a pianist, and a drummer. The basic idea is that I would play each instrument, but use the costumes to create the illusion that different individuals are playing the individual instruments. It sounds stupid, but it's an idea I've had for a long time now, and I wanna start some stuff like that on YouTube, and try to get video software to record myself many times. That's the idea as a whole, there's more to it, but I don't wanna bore you.

Well I hate to babble on' date=' but if you're interested, sure thing. I'll start it off thusly. If you have seen Gorillaz, you will know that they are a visual band, and there is only one person performing the instruments; a man called Damon Albarn, who done work for Blur (one of my favourite rock bands), Gorillaz, The Good, The Bad, and The Queen, and many other projects. I wanted to incorporate the idea of a one-man band and fuse it together with the look of some bands like Slipknot, Rob Zombie, and Mushroomhead, but to the point where the style isn't ripping off the idea of guys dressed up like psychos, but more or less each band member wears something with meaning. I'm still working on something like that, but the line-up would consist of a thrashy vocalist, a rhythm and lead guitarist, a lead bassist who plays the assorted solos by the lead guitarist, on bass guitar, to add a chunky feel. The lead bassist would also provide backing vocals which incorporate death metal roots. Next would be a rhythm bassist, who does the job of a normal bassist, but also accompanies the lead bassist when needed, and he would be providing backing vocals with black metal roots. Lastly, there would be a pianist, and a drummer. The basic idea is that I would play each instrument, but use the costumes to create the illusion that different individuals are playing the individual instruments. It sounds stupid, but it's an idea I've had for a long time now, and I wanna start some stuff like that on YouTube, and try to get video software to record myself many times. That's the idea as a whole, there's more to it, but I don't wanna bore you.[/quote'] Hmmmm... I think I got the right idea of visualisation, although I can't completely grasp the idea of 'creating the illusion there are different individuals playing'. I'm very curious which music would arise though :) Good luck!