New Darkthrone

frost

Re: New Darkthrone Their two albums easily get my vote as their best. That said, I really like their newer crust/black/heavy metal albums like The Cult is Alive. The old stuff wins, but I like the new stuff (and even the mid period stuff to some degree) too. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Their oldest albums are great at what they are. But I like the new ones in another way, I don't listen to them in the same way. Some of the songs on lets say F.O.A.D are really good and some just pass without much notice. But i havent heard the two last ones actually, bought Dark Thrones and Black Flags when it came out. And have had other priorities since then.

Never been a huge Darkthrone fan but i did indeed like the new one as opposed to their older stuff. I definitely got the Venom/Celtic Frost vibe that your talking about and i like it. For me, its the best stuff they have ever done but im sure different people will see it differently themselves.

Re: New Darkthrone

Never been a huge Darkthrone fan but i did indeed like the new one as opposed to their older stuff. I definitely got the Venom/Celtic Frost vibe that your talking about and i like it. For me' date=' its the best stuff they have ever done but im sure different people will see it differently themselves.[/quote'] If you don't like their black metal stuff, you should at least give their first album a listen. It's a very complex and atmospheric death metal album, using weird time signatures and accents, melodies and riffs, and just an overall different take on old school death metal. It's not as strictly progressive as stuff like Akercocke, but you may enjoy it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

If you don't like their black metal stuff, you should at least give their first album a listen. It's a very complex and atmospheric death metal album, using weird time signatures and accents, melodies and riffs, and just an overall different take on old school death metal. It's not as strictly progressive as stuff like Akercocke, but you may enjoy it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I enjoy a few tracks from their earlier material, stuff off of "Soulside Journey" and "Transilvanian Hunger" but i could never get into an entire album like i do with the new one. I guess i feel they have progressed more as musicians and the thrashier stuff appeals to me more for some reason. Kind of like Burzum as well, i tend to prefer the more ambient material rather than the straight BM stuff.

Leave no cross unturned is literally on par with Illud Divinum insanus as one of the worst albums released by a once great band. There is nothing on that album that is remotely good, Fenriz's vocals are fucking atrocious and the stolen Attacker/Agent steel riffs that they were inspired by and aped on a late night binge listening to Fenriz's vinyl. For literally half of their professional career they've been on a massive decline especially with their awful "We don't give a fuck" mentality, as if that justifies that massive pile of shit that they've been tormenting everyone with as their punk stuff is atrocious as well. With this pile of shit and incredibly awful songs like "Come warfare, the entire doom", the may as well just have taken a shit and slapped the Darkthrone logo on it because its incredibly shitty music and on par with the worst attempts at heavy metal and speed metal I've ever heard. You'd figure with two guys who know the music like the back of their hands, that the quality of the riffs, music, and composition would be better than what is essentially two drunk idiots riffbashing old USPM albums and that one vague riff that sounds like Panzerfaust on Dead Again. But no, these guys are fucking idiots and Darkthrone should die instead of releasing unmitigated shit.

Leave no cross unturned is literally on par with Illud Divinum insanus as one of the worst albums released by a once great band. There is nothing on that album that is remotely good, Fenriz's vocals are fucking atrocious and the stolen Attacker/Agent steel riffs that they were inspired by and aped on a late night binge listening to Fenriz's vinyl. For literally half of their professional career they've been on a massive decline especially with their awful "We don't give a fuck" mentality, as if that justifies that massive pile of shit that they've been tormenting everyone with as their punk stuff is atrocious as well. With this pile of shit and incredibly awful songs like "Come warfare, the entire doom", the may as well just have taken a shit and slapped the Darkthrone logo on it because its incredibly shitty music and on par with the worst attempts at heavy metal and speed metal I've ever heard. You'd figure with two guys who know the music like the back of their hands, that the quality of the riffs, music, and composition would be better than what is essentially two drunk idiots riffbashing old USPM albums and that one vague riff that sounds like Panzerfaust on Dead Again. But no, these guys are fucking idiots and Darkthrone should die instead of releasing unmitigated shit.
I would take The Underground Resistance over pretty much any album from some bullshit retro heavy/speed/thrash metal band. Darkthrone do know their shit, and have been around like enough to know what it should sound like, as opposed to taking a break from mallcore to listen to an Accept album and trying to base a band off of it. As opposed to trying to make an album of stereotypes to relive past glories that you weren't even a part of, which is the retro way, they made an album that sounds like it could have been from that time period. The influences are there, but it's still done like Darkthrone would do it, and it's not as though their sound hasn't been moving in that direction for the last few albums. Illud is a piece of shit because it's essentially a Genitortures album with Morbid Angel members, Darkthrone are using the same Celtic Frost inspired patterns that they've been using for 25 years and taking the rest of their music into more familiar territory. Is it revolutionary? No, nothing they've done for years has been. Is it good? Yep, especially compared to all of the retro kids failing at the same thing. Now, I'm not a hater of all things retro, some bands can do retro metal well, but the majority seem to be fucking clueless children weened on Guitar Hero and Trivium albums, and have no frame of reference on where those sounds came from or how to use them without resorting to banal pastiche.

Apart from the awful Come warfare, the entire doom there is hardly any Celtic frost-isms on the album, its mainly an awful attempt at stealing riffs/aping their 80's speed metal influences. The album is too upbeat and devoid of the characteristic guitar tone that you can normally separate their older first four albums from as being influenced by Celtic frost. Even then seeing as how I don't listen to retro heavy or speed, this is a separate case in which this band literally is just taking riffs from these bands making minimal adjustsments (see the intro riff of Leave no cross unturned) and just lazily going through the motions. This is bad this is very bad.

now BAN it's not often that I violently disagree with you or agree with RtC but ARE YOU FUCKING DEAF??? seriously mate how the fuck could you think this album sounded good? it's a disasterpiece plain and simple and I'm so glad I listened to it on youtube instead of actually buying this audio voiding of bowels

Re: New Darkthrone

now BAN it's not often that I violently disagree with you or agree with RtC but ARE YOU FUCKING DEAF??? seriously mate how the fuck could you think this album sounded good? it's a disasterpiece plain and simple and I'm so glad I listened to it on youtube instead of actually buying this audio voiding of bowels
I have still only heard Leave No Cross Unturned, but yes, I really liked that song. It transitioned from heavy/speed metal at the start to a Celtic Frost groove, which is far from alien to Darkthrone. Are Nocturno and Fenriz great clean singers? No, but they're still not bad, especially considering some of the more grating options from the time period that this would have slotted into. The falsettos were cool, the riffs were classy and well done, not derivative but appropriate for the sound, and the song was fun and catchy. I'm not only unsure why it is causing such an uproar, as it's professional sounding and not that different from other Darkthrone songs like Hiking Metal Punks, but it seems extremely dubious to me to lump this in with the super commercial sellout techno turd that was Illud. It's not like you couldn't see the change coming for their last few albums, and as some people haven't figured out, there will be no Transylvanian Hunger II. They've been making metal since the mid 80's and know better than anyone what it should sound like, which is why I believe Metalucifer makes believable and non-shitty retro metal, they were there in the 80's and didn't have to learn from Metalocalypse and Guitar Hero what was actually metal. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Until today i had not heard anything from The underground resistance. And i have to say that its not bad, maybe not an album i will spend countless of hours on. But i do enjoy it, And for the discussion of stealing riffs, I didnt write them so why should i care. They fit.

that may be but it doesn't change the fact that in my opinion the riffs throughout the album are boring and even if they are appropriate for what the band is trying to do they seem unimaginitive to me also I really don't hear any Celtic Frost in there at all
The second half of Leave No Cross Unturned is pure Celtic Frost worship, as are many of their songs like In the Shadow of the Horns and Triumphant Gleam, to name a few classic examples. The riffs may not be as imaginative or revolutionary as on their earlier albums, but they're fun and exciting, and as Scullicon said, they fit.

Re: New Darkthrone The thing is that it still sounds like Darkthrone. The way they slide their chords around, arrange their vocal lines, and progress their songs are still the same, they're just using a set of tools that are solely from the 80's. You can hate it all you want, but despite the change in vocal style and the dial turned back a few years, they're still Darkthrone through and through. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

You can keep telling yourself that until your blue in the face. The only moments on that album that even remotely sound like them is Dead Early, and maybe some chords reminiscent of Celtic frost on Come Warfare, the entire doom. The album is just a mishmash of Agent steel, Motorhead, Celtic frost, and Attacker riffs poorly hurriedly crafted and strewn together so badly that only a retard could truly enjoy this album.