The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard

Mu-tang

The Odious is a band from Portland, Oregon in the united states... they are fucking unreal. Read about them on Metal sucks a whiles back and have been hooked. Their shit is free and some mind bending stuff. Add in the consideration that their first ep, available @ theodious.com is free, and that it was produced (pretty flawlessly I must say) when they were 17. They are coming out with a full length this year and it might crack my top ten list. Here is a studio update
Sound? Imagine if BTBAM had more replay value, then had butt babies with Gorod, The Faceless, Daath, and had Layne Stanley of Alice in Chains doing cleans... then gave that baby a lot of LSD. What sets these guys apart is: pure song writing skill, production for an unsigned band, and their ability to take influences of bands and genres which are completely unrelated and make riffs, songs and styling incorporating them. Most bands will be like "Hey I am Prog-Tech Death" these guys are like "hey, we are stoner prog -tech-death with aspects of djent, jazz, flamenco, etc." Since I found these guys, I have only met one person to dislike them... so give them a try guys! Lemme know what you think! I hope I am not the only one to like these guys

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard Hey man to each their own, I just love that 17 year olds produced this EP themselves and give it out for free. Listen to the whole EP, this is the song I felt expressed their diversity the most, but meh. I am unreally impressed hahah. I feel like you didn't listen to the song all the way through, or you would see the errors of your ways but meh I don't particularly like doom, it lacks the complexity I enjoy (I have this weird philosophy that the complexity of music should reflect the complexity of life, so I can always be in the mode to comprehend it regardless of what I am doing). Which is probably why we don't feel the same about this band hahaha.

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard it's funny actually I've enjoyed most of the tech-death I've heard to this point, Alethian, Centaurus-A, Sickening Horror, Miseration, Element, Kronos, Sympathy andI may be missing one or two, in addition to loving Arch Enemy, Death, Dark Tranquility and Obituary, for some reason this band just seems extremely crowded, the production is good but it adds to the problem in the sense that if the EP were produced in a less flawless manner some of the clarity issue I'mhaving could be blamed on production

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard idk, this song is the most cluttered on the EP definately go to their bandcamp @ theodious.com and check out the last three songs, little less forced together. I am just so surprised. also if you like tech death lately Gorod, and spawn of possesion had unreal releases this year

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard Bahaha, so wait... this is not sonically crowded and The Odious is? I am so confused man... hahaha to each their own I guess... but I can't get past the fact this sounds like it was recorded on garage band, tech stuff can still be produced well. Is the sonic crowding dealing with the vocal layering? Because the tablature is not too complex...

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard That I can agree on. Definately check out their other songs before you drop the hammer, as a whole the Ep flows super well. I would possibly agree with you if I knew what you were talking about with the whole sonic crowding thing, I just don't hear it. In the way I define it, which is inability to make out melody due to too much technicality or poor production. Its well produced, and tablature shows that its not too techy. Are you talking about the vocal layering?

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard the layering of the album, to mee it just seemed to me that everything was mashing against itself, it's much the same problem I've had with napalm death where the song seems to be just a wall of sound, generally I like to be able to hear each individual element of a song and try to avoid bands which slam everything together, using Death as the example you can hear the bass, guitars, vocals and drums seperately I just didn't seem able to do that with the song you showed me though that could also be due to the fact that it's quarter to ten at night down here in Australia and I've been awake since six this morning

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard That or you didn't listen to the whole song... because the wall of noise is for effect right after the intro track, then it cools into something much more within 20 seconds. Everything is pretty crystal after the first 20-30 seconds.

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard there was another band oyeah I'll have to listen through again when I'm more awake, you know I think you'd get along pretty well with Iceni, that dude has some great taste in tech-death anoter factor which may be contributing to my finding this band to be sonically crowded is that for the last week I've been on a Funeral Doom binge and when you get used to hearing one note last two minutes jumping straight to the other end of the scale doesn't work out too well, no joke I found myself complaining about Obituary of all bands for beeing too fast and indistinct after finally deciding to change things up a bit

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard I enjoyed what I heard before the flash player on youtube crashed for some unknown reason, but nothing really stood out. It was impressive, but really too meandering to stick with me, I couldn't remember passages I had just heard even after liking them.

Re: The Odious: Best Unsigned Band I have Ever Heard They might be the best unsigned band ever, but I don't know if I've heard any other unsigned bands.

I enjoyed what I heard (...) but nothing really stood out. It was impressive' date=' but really too meandering to stick with me, I couldn't remember passages I had just heard even after liking them.[/quote'] Anyhow, I do have to agree with this assessment. They sound a bit like Fallujah or Born Of Osiris without the spacey vibe. That said, they alternate between good riffs and rather boring ones. At times they almost sounded like the latest Gorod, but much of the time that soon disappeared under deathcore chugging. If I'm honest, I don't know why they aren't signed to Unique Leader Records. That label sponsors bands like this almost exclusively.