CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE

gus666

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE I actually agree with you about Slayer, they were great from Show No Mercy to South Of Heaven but have been mediocre with the exception of Divine Intervention since then, as for AC/DC down here in Australia all their albums are viewed as the greatest thing ever purely because of national pride

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE I borrowed Divine Intervention from some girl in high school and didn't make it through the whole CD. It was just boring. I'd say their studio work alone earned them the following they have. Their live work on the other hand should've earned them mockery. Diablos in Musica is an amazing album. It's so angry and hate filled it's practically stand alone in their catalog to me. Yes they've always had those two attributes but on that album those emotions were visceral. They went to 'C' tuning from standard, that's what a lot of Death Metal bands tune too and as such I've never understood the "nu-metal" insult being hurled at them. They were still slayer, just heavier. Everything after that has been them going through the motions. In my eyes they're just a high priced cover band. AC/DC is the most overrated rock band in existence. I can't stand them. There are so many more quality Metal acts from Australia I hate how they are considered the best.

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE

I actually agree with you about Slayer' date=' they were great from Show No Mercy to South Of Heaven but have been mediocre with the exception of Divine Intervention since then, as for AC/DC down here in Australia all their albums are viewed as the greatest thing ever purely because of national pride[/quote'] AC/DC has a massive following down here, as does Slayer. Personally, I don't care for either. Anyhow, I like: 'Liquid Monster' by Brainstorm 'Course Of A Generation' by Narnia 'Renegade' by HammerFall (in fact, my favorite HammerFall album).

I borrowed Divine Intervention from some girl in high school and didn't make it through the whole CD. It was just boring. I'd say their studio work alone earned them the following they have. Their live work on the other hand should've earned them mockery. Diablos in Musica is an amazing album. It's so angry and hate filled it's practically stand alone in their catalog to me. Yes they've always had those two attributes but on that album those emotions were visceral. They went to 'C' tuning from standard' date= that's what a lot of Death Metal bands tune too and as such I've never understood the "nu-metal" insult being hurled at them. They were still slayer, just heavier. Everything after that has been them going through the motions. In my eyes they're just a high priced cover band. AC/DC is the most overrated rock band in existence. I can't stand them. There are so many more quality Metal acts from Australia I hate how they are considered the best.
I agree with that-it seems that any shift in style back then, no matter how slight, was greeted with this silly Nu-Metal tag. Sometimes metal fans can be too narrow minded, which is ironic when you consider the diversity of styles within metal. Another album by an overrated band that I really like is Theatre Of Pain by Motley Crue. It got slated by critics and fans alike, but I think the songs are consistently good and Tommy Lee's drumming the best he ever did. They were another lot who never really justified the 'legend' status they get today, even though I like them. What about Sepultura's Against? Gets sneered at by most, but again I think it's a good album, the title track being as good as anything written with Max IMO.

I agree with that-it seems that any shift in style back then, no matter how slight, was greeted with this silly Nu-Metal tag. Sometimes metal fans can be too narrow minded, which is ironic when you consider the diversity of styles within metal. Another album by an overrated band that I really like is Theatre Of Pain by Motley Crue. It got slated by critics and fans alike, but I think the songs are consistently good and Tommy Lee's drumming the best he ever did. They were another lot who never really justified the 'legend' status they get today, even though I like them. What about Sepultura's Against? Gets sneered at by most, but again I think it's a good album, the title track being as good as anything written with Max IMO.
I disagree, many bands did shift directions towards nu-metal and/or groove metal in the 90's, so I don't really see it as a misapplication. Other bands transferred to other sounds as well, but didn't get hit with the nu-metal tag because it didn't apply to them, like Sodom moving to a punk/metal hybrid and Sacrilege moving to progressive doom metal. Everything by Motley Crue is overrated IMO, which is really a shame. I want to like them more than their glam peers, as they were obviously more talented at writing riffs, but they just shit all over it with their pop music choruses, bubblegum songs, and hairspray and makeup image. Bands like Cinderella had absolutely nothing to offer music, yet Motley Crue could have been a good band if they pulled their heads out of their asses and stopped pandering for poon tang and big paychecks. I haven't heard anything that Sepultura has done since Chaos AD that I have even remotely enjoyed, but because of the tracks I've heard I also haven't bothered exploring it further.

I disagree, many bands did shift directions towards nu-metal and/or groove metal in the 90's, so I don't really see it as a misapplication. Other bands transferred to other sounds as well, but didn't get hit with the nu-metal tag because it didn't apply to them, like Sodom moving to a punk/metal hybrid and Sacrilege moving to progressive doom metal. Everything by Motley Crue is overrated IMO, which is really a shame. I want to like them more than their glam peers, as they were obviously more talented at writing riffs, but they just shit all over it with their pop music choruses, bubblegum songs, and hairspray and makeup image. Bands like Cinderella had absolutely nothing to offer music, yet Motley Crue could have been a good band if they pulled their heads out of their asses and stopped pandering for poon tang and big paychecks. I haven't heard anything that Sepultura has done since Chaos AD that I have even remotely enjoyed, but because of the tracks I've heard I also haven't bothered exploring it further.
If Slayer ever sold out it would've been on their last album as it's just hardcore. I didn't hear any groove in Diablos nor anything I'd consider nu. If detuning is selling out the Judas Priest & Helloween are sellouts for dropping their tunings. I agree with ban on the Motley Crue topic. I've always hated that band. Overrated junkies that play boring rock music. I disagree with throwing the whole Glam style in that bunch however. There were some great Glam bands like Dokken, Warrant, Ratt, etc... that wrote some good songs. They were freakishly over saturated well before their era ended though. As far as Sepultura goes I stopped listening to them after Roots. I love that album and freely acknowledge it as their selling out point but I like what I hear. Hating punk and all things associated with it I considered their hiring of a hardcore singer as a big 'fuck you' to their fans. The music they've done with him might be good but I'll never know. I've heard a few bits of the music off their last two albums in passing and like the heavier Thrashier sound they've seemingly returned too but I'm never going to listen to anything they've done post Roots.

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE I hated Roots and haven't listened to it since I made the mistake of buying it, and haven't bought anything Sepultura have released since and back on topic being a Pantera fan is pretty self explanatory just about everyone hates them so that's a supposedly crap band that I like

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE Aye-we've strayed off-topic, Murph! Mind you, you've maybe adjusted it slightly (I think the original's run its course TBH)- How about: 'Crap Bands That I Like' ? Here's mine- Motley Crue - 3 good albums, but more image/lifestyle than substance. Trivium - I think their image counted against them Boston - Detest that American soft rock, but their first album has some of the best guitar work ever. System of a Down - Easy-to-do-left wing-politics but some brilliant songs Entombed - Some utter stinkers in the back catalogue, and they're not really very good, but when they're on fire they're sensational. Biohazard - Poor song writing ability, but can produce memorable songs and were brilliant live. (I know Boston ain't metal, but back in the day they fell under the whole 'heavy rock/metal' umbrella-but that's another debate!!)

If Slayer ever sold out it would've been on their last album as it's just hardcore. I didn't hear any groove in Diablos nor anything I'd consider nu. If detuning is selling out the Judas Priest & Helloween are sellouts for dropping their tunings. I agree with ban on the Motley Crue topic. I've always hated that band. Overrated junkies that play boring rock music. I disagree with throwing the whole Glam style in that bunch however. There were some great Glam bands like Dokken, Warrant, Ratt, etc... that wrote some good songs. They were freakishly over saturated well before their era ended though. As far as Sepultura goes I stopped listening to them after Roots. I love that album and freely acknowledge it as their selling out point but I like what I hear. Hating punk and all things associated with it I considered their hiring of a hardcore singer as a big 'fuck you' to their fans. The music they've done with him might be good but I'll never know. I've heard a few bits of the music off their last two albums in passing and like the heavier Thrashier sound they've seemingly returned too but I'm never going to listen to anything they've done post Roots.
It has nothing to do with downtuning, it has everything to do with completely changing your riffing style from thrash intensity to monotonous chugs and grooves. Tom's vocal style also changed, not necessarily to a more "hardcore" style often associated with nu-metal and groove metal, but it's certainly away from his style of old. Testament is a great example of a band that tuned lower and may have sounded "heavier" starting with Low, but they definitely took their riff approach towards the groove side of the equation. People often mislabel their post-Skolnick offerings as being some sort of death metal, but apart from Chuck's introduction of growls and a couple of riffs here and there, it has lots more in common with groove metal than death metal.

Aye-we've strayed off-topic, Murph! Mind you, you've maybe adjusted it slightly (I think the original's run its course TBH)- How about: 'Crap Bands That I Like' ? Here's mine- Motley Crue - 3 good albums, but more image/lifestyle than substance. Trivium - I think their image counted against them Boston - Detest that American soft rock, but their first album has some of the best guitar work ever. System of a Down - Easy-to-do-left wing-politics but some brilliant songs Entombed - Some utter stinkers in the back catalogue, and they're not really very good, but when they're on fire they're sensational. Biohazard - Poor song writing ability, but can produce memorable songs and were brilliant live. (I know Boston ain't metal, but back in the day they fell under the whole 'heavy rock/metal' umbrella-but that's another debate!!)
I can't say that it was Trivium's image that worked against them, it was most definitely their music. They began as a mediocre metalcore band (even when compared to their peers) that decided to jump ship to a more "metal" sound when Guitar Hero made it popular again. The problem with this is that while they became sonically closer to metal, what minor shred of creativity and individuality they possessed was shed in favor of trying to sound just like Metallica. Essentially, they started off as part of one trend and then changed over to another trend when it became commercially acceptable to do so, which shows a massive lack of artistic integrity on their part IMO. If they decided that they no longer wanted to play metalcore and try to be a bit thrashier, the least they could have done is tried to make it their own instead of becoming an even more faceless clone.

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE Trivium are awesome. I don't know which album you heard so I can't comment directly, but I love their riffing and the Classical (Greece and Rome not Music) inflection to Shogun was awesome. The Crusade was the best though. I think that a load of rubbish (IMHO) is spoken about Metalcore - Folk takes inspiration from Folk melodies and instruments but don't get pilloried so why Punk inflected Metalcore. The fact that metal fans say the only poeple who listen to it are teeny fans who will "grow out" of it or move on to "real metal" to me just smacks of snobbery and a dislike of the fact that they sell a lot of albums. Also, when was it O.K. to discredit somebody's hard work just because of the people who listen to them? It really creams my corn, especially because I genuinely don't think that "real" metal is any more creative than Metalcore, just harded or thrashier or whatever the genre demands! O.K. rant out!

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE no there's nothing wrong with metalcore, or with bands being influenced by punk and borrowing from it's sound, the issue we metalheads have is with bands such as bfmv and killswitch engage who take old melodeath riffs, rehash them then have poppy, sugary sweet choruses in an attempt to be more commercially viable, if you'll notice we also have immense hatred for Metallica since they went down the commercial path, and certain Megadeth albums also receive immense hatred for the same reason, we encourage creativity but resent bands who try to take something that is uniquely ours and make it appeal to the masses, if kids are finding metal they enjoy and not just following a trend, you know the well-my-friends-like-it-so-i-do-too mentality that's great, but you can not argue that many fans of bands such as trivium, slipknot and the like will not continue listening to them once the bands are no longer popular with their friends, I'm not trying to be snobbish or whatever I'm merely stating what I've seen among my friends when I was still at school, for a time it was cool to listen to those bands, I never really liked them, some of them liked the heavier stuff I showed them, most didn't but whatever, of those that did only three of them still listen to metal, the others jumped over to the next trend

Trivium are awesome. I don't know which album you heard so I can't comment directly' date=' but I love their riffing and the Classical (Greece and Rome not Music) inflection to Shogun was awesome. The Crusade was the best though. I think that a load of rubbish (IMHO) is spoken about Metalcore - Folk takes inspiration from Folk melodies and instruments but don't get pilloried so why Punk inflected Metalcore. The fact that metal fans say the only poeple who listen to it are teeny fans who will "grow out" of it or move on to "real metal" to me just smacks of snobbery and a dislike of the fact that they sell a lot of albums. Also, when was it O.K. to discredit somebody's hard work just because of the people who listen to them? It really creams my corn, especially because I genuinely don't think that "real" metal is any more creative than Metalcore, just harded or thrashier or whatever the genre demands! O.K. rant out![/quote'] Not sure where most of this rant came from, as there was no mention from me of not liking Trivium and/or metalcore because of their fans. Ironically enough, I'm stating that I dislike Trivium more ever since they have tried to appeal to metal fans and won some of them over with their banal imitation of Metallica. At least when they were a metalcore band, Trivium sounded like Trivium, for better or for worse, which is better IMO than trying your hardest to sound like someone else to try to appeal to a larger crowd. The outside influence from punk (or pretty much any other genre) is not a problem really, as just about all of metal's subgenres take varying cues from punk music and integrate them into their metal sound, the problem is that they're mixing in pop music too, which is the antithesis of both metal and punk. Pop music seeks the attention of the masses through shallow, easy songwriting and hooks that grab your attention , but end up annoying you over several listens, whereas both metal and punk (in addition to most other genres of music) strive for something deeper. Trying to mix pop music with metal completely undermines its integrity and creates a sound that many metalheads, like myself, can't stand to listen to.

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE There are absolutely ZERO punk influences in Trivium's early shit, its pure wannabe heavy metal mixed in with metalcore elements from only metalcore bands- nothing related to hardcore at all! They're a shit band and have only been concerned with selling lots of records to hottopic kids from day one. And Megadeth suck as well.

Re: CRAP ALBUMS THAT YOU LIKE Sepultura- Roots In Flames - Come Clarity Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama Sonic Syndicate - Only Inhuman Soulfly - Primitive Metallica - Death Magnetic Metallica - Metallica Sirenia - The 13th Floor Nightwish - Imaginaerum Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory The Haunted - rEVOLVER Dream Theater - Octavarium

Nightwish - Imaginaerum Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Dude, these albums are awesome! It's nice to here that you like them but they are class acts, especially Imaginaerum - and the critics agree with me on that! Oh, and is there a more pessimistic album title than "So Far, So Good" :lol: !