Agalloch, and other obscurities

General Metal

I've just discovered a band named Agalloch, as the title suggests. I'd highly recommend checking them out. I'm not 100% sure what genre you could call this, but I'd probably put it into progressive with Anathema, and Amorphis, as I'm hearing a lot of similarities here. The song that I am going to recommend (as it is their only song I've actually heard) is "Falling Snow", which goes for 9mins and 35 or so seconds. Definitely worth the ten minutes. I don't feel as though I've wasted them haha. Another band I've found which I am enjoying is Wolves in the Throne Room. Very Black Metal sounding, but not quite as raw, and probably could be called an extremely heavy Blackened Death Metal band, but then, the vocals are wrong.. hrm.... Either way, take a look at the song "Subterranean Initiation". It's pretty damned good. Boasts a whole 7min track on Youtube. You just KNOW that that means it must be good. (Despite the sarcasm in the previous sentence it IS actually really good. Check it out) Finally, another band that I recommend you guys look into, is Shining. Another Black Metal band, but you can tell they're Swedish, not Norwegian haha. Absolutely love their song "The Madness and the Damage Done". Definitely 3 and a half minutes to take a look at, and devote to such a good band. Anyone else got any recommendations? Bands that are obscure, and hard to categorise into genre, but still are really damned good?

Re: Agalloch, and other obscurities Well, you could have posted this in the 'Underrated or Unknown Metal Bands' thread. Whatever. Darkwater's not too well-known but they get good reviews consistently. Dungortheb is a French technical death metal band which isn't too well-known, but I think they're quite good. :D

Re: Agalloch, and other obscurities Wow... I go away for an hour and when I come back.... Anyways, Iceni, I didn't put it into Underrated or Unknown Metal because I didn't know how big these bands were. The Metal Advisor: I meant that the genre was a bit more obscure than the actual bands. I hadn't heard of any of these guys before today however. ReturntoCarthage: I'll be sure to check them out sometime soon. NTNR: This is why I downloaded them, so I could listen to a broader spectrum of their music. I wouldn't have called what I heard Folk though.

Re: Agalloch, and other obscurities

NTNR: This is why I downloaded them, so I could listen to a broader spectrum of their music. I wouldn't have called what I heard Folk though.
You could call them Dark Metal as well. Their second album 'the Mantle' is 90% acoustic and thus labeled "folk". Their first record was more Black Metal but after those two they incorporated Doom and atmospheric elements into their sound. Dark Metal is probably the best label for it.

• 1 month later...

Re: Agalloch, and other obscurities

Check out Gallowbraid. If you like Agalloch, you'll dig them.
Was just about to say that. I highly recomend Gallowbraid. Another band that is getting alot of praise on other metal forums I have noticed recently is The Living Fields. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soOdHVjizdc and if you haven't checked out Solstafir, I recomend them too http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... search=tag I Viking was the first song I heard by them, Pale Rider and 78 Days In The Desert are cracking tracks too.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Agalloch, and other obscurities Funny thing about Gallowbraid, I know Jake, I usually see him at shows and I've played with his new band Visigoth. He told our bass player that he HATES Gallowbraid. He said that he wrote most of it around 2006, but due to various issues didn't record and release the album until later. Between that time, he grew to hate Agalloch, but finished the recording anyway and now he can't even stand to hear it.

• 7 months later...
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies