TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ?

Grinderswitch

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? This is a band that had a little talent but never really used it. Practice What You Preach and Low are the only listenable albums they ever put out. Everything else was just generic, dime a dozen Thrash.

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ?

This is a band that had a little talent but never really used it. Practice What You Preach and Low are the only listenable albums they ever put out. Everything else was just generic' date= dime a dozen Thrash.

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? IMHO I've never had any regrets having bought the following albums by TESTAMENT, too : The Legacy, The Ritual, The New Order, The Gathering, Practice What You Preach, Demonic, Low, Souls Of Black (incl. Best-Of's: The Best Of Testament, Signs Of Chaos: The Best Of Testament ; live recording: Live At The Fillmore) ! TESTAMENT has ever been a very fine & competent Thrash Metal band which were able to entertain & fascinate their audiences around the globe. My conclusion is this: Mr. CHUCK BILLY has never (!) let me down at any time in their entire career - it''s the trivial truth that there's not at every moment in history a chance for an aspiring Metal Band to gain the same success of just another/next kind of METALLICA and with swabs MEGADETH ! But have a close look once again at this next clip -> TESTAMENT - Over The Wall (HD) : -> http://bit.ly/ovPT3O ! TESTAMENT truly RULEZ forever ;-) - HYLI \m/ -LD-

IMHO I've never had any regrets having bought the following albums by TESTAMENT' date=' too : The Legacy, The Ritual, The New Order, The Gathering, Practice What You Preach, Demonic, Low, Souls Of Black (incl. Best-Of's: The Best Of Testament, Signs Of Chaos: The Best Of Testament ; live recording: Live At The Fillmore) ! TESTAMENT has ever been a very fine & competent Thrash Metal band which were able to entertain & fascinate their audiences around the globe. My conclusion is this: Mr. CHUCK BILLY has never (!) let me down at any time in their entire career - it''s the trivial truth that there's not at every moment in history a chance for an aspiring Metal Band to gain the same success of just another/next kind of METALLICA and with swabs MEGADETH ! But have a close look once again at this next clip -> TESTAMENT - Over The Wall (HD) : -> http://bit.ly/ovPT3O ! TESTAMENT truly RULEZ forever ;-) - HYLI \m/ -LD-
'Demonic' had some good points but it doesn't hold my attention the way it did when I first got it. 'The Gathering' was awful IMO. I don't get the buzz around it and probably never will. Chuck has a good voice and it certainly fits the music but his lyrics don't do it for me. Alex and later Murphy are two of the worlds best guitarists ever, but the songs they shredded on weren't really worthy of their skill. To me, they've been rehashing the same riffs since the 80's and honestly they seem to be riding the nostalgia wave of retro Thrash. The only difference is they were actually around during said period. They don't sound like the founders of the style, they sound like the hordes of imitators that came directly after. There is no argument regarding their musical competency here, rather their lack luster songs, delivery and general ignorance on currant topics.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? With great guitar talent and vocals, they could have been huge, they just needed to push the riffs a bit harder. Often times, their riffs and songs were closer to heavy/power metal than thrash, and just didn't bring sufficient aggression to the table. They did have some great melodic ideas, and if they could have thrashed harder they might have been unstoppable.

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? Testament are better than any of the Big Four. Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth may be legends of thrash and god-like or whatever but they definitely have nothing close to the legendary sound of Testament. They are heavier, more metal-like than any other original thrash metal band, the vocals, guitar and drumming are awesome and their sound has pretty much given birth to much of the actual heavy metal we have today. I would replace any band in the Big Four with Testament, and in fact I would consider them to be the fifth band of the Big Four of thrash metal. And they just got even better with time, certainly in Formation of Damnation, unlike bands like Metallica who just turned shit and mainstream after the 80's and betrayed thrash metal

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? I can't get behind much of that. Testament beat Metallica at their own game, being catchier and more melodic frequently, but I can't say that they were heavier or more metal than the others, and were certainly nowhere near as influential to the "actual metal of today". I will also give you that Testament's newer work is better than Metallica's, Slayer's, or Anthrax's, but in their prime they could really only contend with the weakest big 4 band: Metallica.

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? Overkill really should have been more successful than they were. They were one of the first thrash bands, and are easily the most consistent, in addition to crafting some of the greatest thrash albums ever. Oh well, "big four" is just a mass media label given to the most commercially successful thrash metal bands, not the best.

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? Of the "big four", I would agree that Slayer would take the top spot (or Megadeth based on preference), but again, there are many more lesser known thrash bands that I would take over those four any day. I don't have a problem with people going with the bigger and more well known bands in any given genre of music, but if you really lime the bigger bands that much, what reason do you have to not dig deeper into the sound in question?

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? I just can't go back to listening to "big four" thrash exclusively after finding so much better thrash because of getting into them. Even if I didn't think there was anything better, I would still be missing out on a wealth of other music just because I put my focus in the same place as everyone else.

Re: TESTAMENT - the most underrated Thrash Metal band ever ? outside of the big four the only thrash bands I listen to are Exodus, Sepultura, Testament and Overkill, though only early material from the first three, most of what I've come across and enjoyed has been in other genres, at some point I'll need to expand my knowledge of thrash but I've got plenty to get through before that happens

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still trying to build a solid base of power metal bands' date=' once I've finished up on that front thrash is next[/quote'] Good luck with that. There is a lot of garbage out there.