Jugulator - Judas Priest (re-post)

H34VYM3T4LD4V3

Judas Priest - Jugulator Ahh, the Ripper Owens era, the albums all most priest fans love to hate, except if you are a big Priest fan, and you hate it, you're not being a very kind friendly fan like you should be are you? They hardly gave Ripper a chance, and that's one of the main reasons that Jugulator wasn't a HUGE success. The First Song is The title Track "JUG-U-LAY-TORRR!" Great Intro, loving the Industrial feel, you can tell when the song starts, that this, is the heaviest Priest album EVER, absolutely Thundering riffs and a Awesome Death Metal/Thrash feel, And Tim does a great job on vocals, he may not be Rob, but he has his own voice you know! he doesn't have to sound exactly like him! Second Song is Blood Stained, not much to say about this track except that it's AWESOME! oh and heavy aswell, of course. "You Cannot Wash, The Blood.. Stains.. OFFFFFF!" Next is the Obliterating 'Dead Meat' probably The 2nd Heaviest song on the Album, and one of the best on the album, the chorus rules! And the lyrics are pretty cool aswell. Now for my favourite song on the album! "OH NO! I WON'T GO! you'll never get me down to... DEATH ROW!" Possibly the best intro, the best chorus, and riff in the same song, although almost every song on this album has a brilliant riff this one is probably the best. The Guitar solos are AMAZING! If you don't like this song, your on a one way ticket to.. DEATH ROW!!! And now, get ready for, DECAPITATIOOOOOOON! This song has got to be the most heavy, and Death Metally song on the album, the lyrics are great, Decapitate, Walk Through Hells Gate! *Chopping Sound of Posers losing their heads*. Burn In Hell is an Fantastic Song song, Ripper's Vocals are extremely Awesomely Great on this track also. they even had a cool music vid for this one! 8E-tCigMeD0 And now we get to the 2 slightly yawny songs on the album, although Brain Dead is actually alright abductors has to be my least favourite, they don't really have the energy of the other songs, and never interested me as much. Hello everybody, and welcome to the Bullet Train, we hope you enjoy your journey, IF YOU SURVIVE THAT IS! HAHAHAA! This track is absolutely brilliant, the lyrics are some of the best on this album, and the vocals are fandabbydosey. the the yell at the start is just awesome, "Bullet, bullet, Bullet Train! Piercing through, through MY BRAIN!!!" And that's it for this albu.. what? whats that? THERE'S ANOTHER SONG! OH BOY! Cathedral Spires is the EPIC of the album, what lochness should've been maybe,(from angel of retribution) It has a nice ballad at the start, to make you feel safe, and then the guitar comes in like a bloody chainsaw! rips straight in your ear, Fantastic, This song has the best structure of any song on the album, its my fav along with Death Row, I really can't explain how good it is, except that it is amazing, and that Ripper is an amazing vocalist, go on, find out for yourself! 6g4yhSjyc3M "Oooooh i'm sooo tired, time to rise up and retire" (in my bed!) (Cathedral Spires Lyrics quote)

Congrats for your review!. I bought this cd in its very release date, I remember it even achieved a good position at spanish charts. After a long time since "Painkiller" it was just like "hey man, the Priest is back!!". And the new recording was no disapointment to me. Tipton was highly influenced by Machine Head's sound back then and it is reflected on the overall sound. It showed that Judas Priest was not a band just living from the past. I agree with u, "Death Row" is awesome and "Cathedral Spires" was such an epic ending!! Sadly it's an underrated album by some die-hard Halford fans. Later, some years ago I met Ripper Owens after a Beyond Fear concert and I got this album signed, we were talking mainly about Jugulator.

Sorry, Priest is my favorite band of all time, but this album is absolute garbage. However, this is not the fault of Owens who didn't have a lot to do with the songwriting, which is where they fail. Between this and the other Ripper album, it shows that neither Tipton or Downing can write on their own. While Painkiller was also a heavy album, it had the traditional Priest sound. This was heavy for the sake of being heavy with nothing memorable. The only decent track is Funeral Spires.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies