Horla demo (black metal)

OGhost667

Re: Horla demo (black metal) you'll get neither from me or several other forum members until we see you contributing elsewhere on the forum it's our way of weeding out those who are here for the sole purpose of promoting their work so if that is your only intention I'm afraid you are wasting both your and every one elses time, sorry to be so blunt

Re: Horla demo (black metal)

Okay, I'm new to the whole concept of music forums. So forgive me if I have unwittingly flouted some unwritten rule. In fact I only posted here because someone recommended I should do so. However, given what you say is the case, perhaps you ought to make it clearer? There's no indication that promoting oneself or offering up work for feedback without being a regular contributor goes against (yours or everyone's?) tacit rules.

Re: Horla demo (black metal) we've tried to get the forum runner to include it in the rules but as the forum is still growing he's refusing to do anything about it, it's not the promoting we have an issue with by the way because we all love to check out new bands but we also want the forum to grow and if people are only coming here to promote their band they aren't helping the cause, I do hope you'll stick around and see what this place has to offer who knows you may find some cool bands you didn't know were out there

Re: Horla demo (black metal) I see. What do you mean by "helping the cause"? Isn't that quite insular? If you're not interested in people who aren't "members of the community", then why have a promotion thread? After all, it's probably the main attraction to people from outside. After all, growing your numbers is what you're aiming for, right? If you included "must be regular contributor" in your rules, you'd probably end up with even more spam from people who, in reality, only wanted to promote their work.

Re: Horla demo (black metal) what we want is for people to contribute meaningul posts to the forum spam isn't an issue around here as the mods are generally quick to remove what little gets up, like I said it's not the promotion of new bands we don't like it's those who come here with no intention of adding anything to the forum and ONLY wish to advertise their work, it's fine if you spend more time talking about your own stuff but to not get involved in the forum and add your own opinion to the various discussions which go on around here to me just seems foolish, the rule wouldn't be regulars either there would be a post limit which would prevent access to certain areas within the forum until said limit had been reached or exceeded, that very idea is actually the one myself and several other forumites have suggested to dilatedmind (the bloke who is responsible for running this place)

Re: Horla demo (black metal) Okay. I think that's probably a bit OTT and I think the person who runs this forum has probably had the same intuition ("if we make the promotional section harder to access, very few people other than those already signed up will bother visiting/contributing to the site"). Which is probably why he hasn't implemented your rule yet. I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth, but that's what I'd guess. However, I'll see what I can do.

Re: Horla demo (black metal) ok listening to your work, drum work is competent but I'm having difficulty picking the guitar it just seems to be a wall of sound not distinct in any way and the vocals, well I've heard better, I think perhaps address the issue surrounding the guitar/s and you may have something

Re: Horla demo (black metal) Just finished listening to the 3 tracks on band camp, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. The dissonance reminded me of bands like Deathspell Omega or newer Leviathan, but it was a bit less spastic and a bit more raw and aggressive. Haven't really heard anything out there that's closer than that to compare, so this isn't really an accurate description, but I like what you're doing.

Re: Horla demo (black metal) Thanks guys. Leviathan and Deathspell are probably my two favourite bands, so naturally... As for the production, I have absolutely no knowledge about producing music, so the low end sludginess is probably to be expected. I'm told it would be good to boost the guitars at 400Hz. I've also been using a high pass filter at 150Hz, but maybe it needs to be higher. Perhaps you can point me in the direction of any threads about producing/mixing music?

Re: Horla demo (black metal) I have no idea about that stuff either and it's black metal production isn't top priority I just couldn't really make out a clear guitar sound at several points across what I listened to of yours, I didn't hate it though with a little cleaning up it is something I would love to hear more of

Re: Horla demo (black metal)

Thanks guys. Leviathan and Deathspell are probably my two favourite bands, so naturally... As for the production, I have absolutely no knowledge about producing music, so the low end sludginess is probably to be expected. I'm told it would be good to boost the guitars at 400Hz. I've also been using a high pass filter at 150Hz, but maybe it needs to be higher. Perhaps you can point me in the direction of any threads about producing/mixing music?
Our studio engineer explained to us us what he was doing in more of a general sense and didn't go into the technical aspects with us when we recorded, so I won't be any help in this area. The low end sounded nice though, I wouldn't be too quick to cut it out. In any case, I look forward to hearing what you do in the future, and may be contacting you about acquiring that demo of yours.

Re: Horla demo (black metal) @ BlutAus Nerd: okay, well if you wish to acquire said demo, best way is through the bandcamp link above. Glad you like it. @murph1990: I plan to re record the songs at some point, I think certain parts could be tighter- or just better generally, like the vocals. But also for post-production purposes, I think there are certain improvements I can make pre-production (new strings, different mics, etc.)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...