Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal

Iceni

I think there's a bit of debate on this topic. Many people stick with the older, traditional power metal like Iron Maiden, Manowar, Jag Panzer, Lord, Persuader, Hibria and Cellador. On the other hand, there are a lot of symphonic power metal bands becoming more and more popular and respected...Angra, Kamelot, Statovarius, Rhapsody of Fire, Dark Moor, Manticora and Derdian come to mind. Which genre do you think is better and what are the relative merits and drawbacks to either style?

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal I wouldn't call Iron Maiden power metal. They've certainly had power metalish moments, but their core sound is plain Jane heavy metal. Some of the others you listed overlap in sound as well with a heavy/power metal combo (Manowar, Jag Panzer, and Lord). Anyway, I don't particularly care for many symphonic power metal bands. I prefer the harder hitting power metal bands (in the UPSM vein) that were heavily influenced by speed and thrash metal. What they offered keeps me interested far longer than anything the bands with symphonic elements ever have. Still, there are some power metal bands with symphonic elements that I enjoy like Heavenly, etc.

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal I like both traditional and symphonic power metal, it's hard to choose which one is better than the other. It really depends on what mood I'm in. They are both completely equal to me right now, but they are both amazing genres. This is a good thread/question.

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal Well, I'm very glad you like it, MetalMaiden. I apologize if I seemed a bit blunt on the Christian black metal thread, but at any rate, I'm glad to see you posting again. I'm a sucker for keyboards. :P I'll admit it, I am. When I hear the intro to 'Rust of Coming Ages' by Serenity or 'Words I Never Speak' by Morifade, I am always drawn in immediately. I figured it might be good for discussion because people seem very polarized on this issue - there are plenty of older, crotchety metal fans who say 'Manowar is the only good band on here, f**k the rest \m/', and then the people who only want the intimidating, dark music, so they say 'Lars Larssen is a god! Manticora FTW!!'. It definitely does depend on my mood. If I want angry, raw power metal I'll put on Iron Savior or Symphony X for sure. If I'm in a better, carefree state of mind I find Dragonland pleasant. If I want music with gravity, dignity and power, I head over to Serenity or Harmony. Happy to see you like my topic! :)

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal

Well, I'm very glad you like it, MetalMaiden. I apologize if I seemed a bit blunt on the Christian black metal thread, but at any rate, I'm glad to see you posting again. I'm a sucker for keyboards. :P I'll admit it, I am. When I hear the intro to 'Rust of Coming Ages' by Serenity or 'Words I Never Speak' by Morifade, I am always drawn in immediately. I figured it might be good for discussion because people seem very polarized on this issue - there are plenty of older, crotchety metal fans who say 'Manowar is the only good band on here, f**k the rest \m/', and then the people who only want the intimidating, dark music, so they say 'Lars Larssen is a god! Manticora FTW!!'. It definitely does depend on my mood. If I want angry, raw power metal I'll put on Iron Savior or Symphony X for sure. If I'm in a better, carefree state of mind I find Dragonland pleasant. If I want music with gravity, dignity and power, I head over to Serenity or Harmony. Happy to see you like my topic! :)
... I've been away for a few days because I had to go see my father, and he didn't have wireless internet at his house. So I have no idea what you are talking about. But I am sure I will have no hard feelings about it. xD But I agree with your points on this matter, there are indeed a lot of opinions on power metal. I like the way both types sound, so I listen to both of them. And mood usually effects everything I choose to listen to. ... And I am also a sucker for keyboards, too. Heh.

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal Oh, OK. I thought you were so cheesed off you needed to cool down before you punched a hole in your computer. Well, I took issue with the idea that Christianity didn't belong in metal, and I brought up a truckload of metal themes which I thought were Biblical in nature... If I want music that works well for representing good metal when I'm driving around in my hometown...Sabaton is the answer. 8-) Seriously, if Joachim Broden were on a recruitment poster I'd think a lot harder about joining up.

I figured it might be good for discussion because people seem very polarized on this issue - there are plenty of older, crotchety metal fans who say 'Manowar is the only good band on here, f**k the rest \m/', and then the people who only want the intimidating, dark music, so they say 'Lars Larssen is a god! Manticora FTW!!'.
Have you considered that some people actually prefer other sounds, rather than being "old and crotchety?" It's all a matter of taste. Not everyone is stuck in an era or style.

Have you considered that some people actually prefer other sounds, rather than being "old and crotchety?" It's all a matter of taste. Not everyone is stuck in an era or style.
Obviously. It's just that usually, they're curmudgeons. for example, it'd be a fair cop to say that most people in America who appose gay marriage are religious. It's probably not completely true, but as a general statement it holds up. I don't usually like traditional power metal, but I do like older HammerFall as many people here know. Rising Faith is also traditional power metal, and the riff for 'Rage' is one of the best I've heard in a while.

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal Perfectly fair...I've never like one-sided debate. Well, I started the topic in what I think was a bipartisan fashion, so now that we're into posts I figure I can state my own views. Maybe you're the other side of the debate. It does seem that you're more a fan of the traditional material. . If you want to tell us why, I'd be happy to hear it. :)

If you want to tell us why, I'd be happy to hear it. :)
Sure, I can do that. Like I said before, I prefer the harder hitting power metal the USPM bands were known for. I started my metal journey with largely traditional heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, and the like, so it shouldn't be any surprise that I favor regular power metal over the other. I tend to find some symphonic power metal bands rather fruity and others relatively cheesy, but, of course, this isn't the case for all of them. There are more than a few that I dig and have welcomed with open arms.

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal Fair cop, but you say 'harder hitting'. I found that Manticora usually packs a wallop. For that matter, the darker symphonic metal bands usually do. Divinefire alters moods but they have a very atmospheric assault either way. I don't know if you'd consider Firewind symphonic - they do have a keyboardist - but that's another pretty powerful group.

• 3 months later...

I prefer Trad to Symphonic any day of the week. Both have merit' date=' but music is just better without keyboards.[/quote'] I disagree...I find keyboard, when properly used, adds greatly to the music in a given band. Usually I favor bands with keyboards over bands that don't. I always thought it'd be great to combine movie soundtrack with metal music, and symphonic power metal is that synthesis. Again, there's a buttload of rubbish with poorly used keyboards that simply serve to make said bands a laughingstock. HammerFall is a case in point...they used some keyboards on Infected and it sounded like trash compared to their previous work. But when keyboards are used to their full potential, they add a new atmosphere to the music that is difficult to accomplish through other means.

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal I think Dio's Rainbow In The Dark is a good example of what you mean Iceni, I don't think it would work quite as well without the keyboard in the early part of the song as for traditional versus symphonic I really don't care either way so long as it's good, if it sucks it won't matter whether the band plays traditional or symphonic metal it will still suck, but if it's good then who cares

NTNR, man it's been a while yeah keyboards and other "non-metal" instruments should only be used in metal where it actually adds something worthwhile to a song, and not just for the sake of having them.
Yea, week long hiatus. It was necessary. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal All right, I can agree with unnecessary keyboards being really annoying. I also hate when the keyboard is there but YOU CAN'T BLOOMIN' HEAR IT. Makes being a keyboardist a bit of a sinecure. For that matter I usually can't hear the bass either...but I digress. 'Rainbow In The Dark' is a great example; Dio's voice definitely smacks of traditional power metal but that song incorporated keyboard well.

Re: Traditional vs. Symphonic Power Metal Just like anything else, there needs to be a reason for the keyboard to be there. There have been many times that I've heard keyboards add a great deal to an album, and I've heard just as many where the keyboard was needless and/or detrimental to the sound. I prefer traditional power metal, mostly because I prefer my metal to be heavier in general, and symphonic power metal tends to be a bit lighter sounding.