Leaves' Eyes

The Strategos

Re: Leaves' Eyes

But before you make such merciless mockery of them' date=' good sir, prithee consider whether anyone else in the Nine Realms of the universe has done anything quite like they have. Now stick that up your Ragnarok![/quote'] :? I would recommend NOT doing this in the future...Only NTNR is allowed to poke fun at BlutAusNerd. :D I know, Leaves' Eyes is basically Atrocity's lineup with a female singer. I actually know a girl here who looks a lot like Liv Kristine. I know Atrocity is death metal but what's their good material? Apparently their early stuff is technical death metal...

I appreciate the effort, but I don't need defending. Only their first two albums were really death metal, but they're two of the best tech-death metal albums ever IMO. Gorguts took a great deal of inspiration from Hallucinations, but Atrocity never seems to get the credit Gorguts does, they're just remember for their new-wave covers by most. Todessehnsucht is one of my favorite death metal albums, give it a listen if you're interested.

Re: Leaves' Eyes So, I just checked out some of Atrocity, Todessehnsucht specifically, and I come back with the same problem I have with Death: the vocals. I don't like the way they're done at all. The two songs I did like (and could see the tech-death influence in) were 'Necropolis' and 'Sky Turned Red'. By the way, I actually checked out Leaves' Eyes because this folk metal-loving friend of mine kept saying good things about them. So, Liv Kristine is only on the first two TOT albums, right?

So, I just checked out some of Atrocity, Todessehnsucht specifically, and I come back with the same problem I have with Death: the vocals. I don't like the way they're done at all. The two songs I did like (and could see the tech-death influence in) were 'Necropolis' and 'Sky Turned Red'. By the way, I actually checked out Leaves' Eyes because this folk metal-loving friend of mine kept saying good things about them. So, Liv Kristine is only on the first two TOT albums, right?
They're the old school kind of guttural vocals, which I honestly like a lot more than the modern mic-cupping/gurgling/squealing approach. He uses more of a Mike Browning high pitched delivery on Hallucinations which may or may not work more for you, like this: s-WIATFF7xg Also, Liv Kristine is on the first 3 ToT albums, but I only have the first 2, which are awesome gothic and classical doom/death.

Re: Leaves' Eyes You're right, I did prefer the vocals, but the music was more on the brutal rather than technical side of this, which I think is a bit of a disappointment. Anyhow, I suppose I'll go give the TOT albums a shot. Also, I'll see what Njord from Leaves' Eyes is like.

s-WIATFF7xg Also, Liv Kristine is on the first 3 ToT albums, but I only have the first 2, which are awesome gothic and classical doom/death.
I love this album! Killer old school Death Metal! You really need the third ToT album. It's decidedly gothic but it's just great. Their last good album until 'Storm' anyway.

You're right' date=' I did prefer the vocals, but the music was more on the brutal rather than technical side of this, which I think is a bit of a disappointment. Anyhow, I suppose I'll go give the TOT albums a shot. Also, I'll see what Njord from Leaves' Eyes is like.[/quote'] Remember that this is from 1990, and at this time Hallucinations was the most technical beast out there, the only other tech-death being produced at the time was by Atheist and Hellwitch, but I think Atrocity wins the battle of the three. I find that modern interpretations can often narrow perspectives regarding the foundations of various sounds, i.e. just because this isn't Necrophagist doesn't mean it isn't tech-death. I frequently run into similar problems with bands like Deep Purple, Venom, Possessed, and various other pioneers of genres that are often forgotten because of how far the sound has evolved from their initial pioneering, but that doesn't make those bands any less heavy metal, black metal, or death metal respectively.

Hi BlutAusNerd, That's really interesting you calling Deep Purple metal (I do like Deep Purple :) ) because they themselves always seem to claim that they where hard rock. P.S. since you like DP, do you like Rainbow - I love Stargazer in particular, it's so progressive - though I don't think that Rainbow are even remotely metal are they? P.P.S. Iceni, hope you enjoy Njord! :mrgreen:

Deep Purple were absolutely heavy metal, even if it was mostly restricted to their In Rock - Machine Head period with Ian Gillian, however there are metal songs on some of their David Coverdale albums, like Burn. Motorhead has always claimed to be a rock band as well, and that's certainly where their roots lie, but they're also a heavy metal band. Yes, I do like Rainbow, Ritchie Blackmore + Dio = win, it's too bad Ritchie would really distance himself from metal after that.

There was a lot more diversity back when the style exploded. People weren't afraid to be different. There were a lot of good bands and early Atrocity is a prime example of GOOD tech Death. Now everyone is trying to be more technical or brutal then the next guy because they can.

There was a lot more diversity back when the style exploded. People weren't afraid to be different. There were a lot of good bands and early Atrocity is a prime example of GOOD tech Death. Now everyone is trying to be more technical or brutal then the next guy because they can.
This is another good point, when a genre is developing, most bands are stretching out the borders of any given sound with merely some of the same central influences as a guide. Once the initial burst dies out, most bands will either focus on recreating the sounds of a few artists within that style, or focus on only a couple of aspects of what the originators were striving for. Today with death metal, we have a lot of Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Incantation, and Entombed clones, a few of which do have an original take on the sound those bands pioneered, and only a few bands that are really trying something different. What is interesting is that some sounds just die out for no reason and only a few paths seem to be followed, where are all of the bands trying to sound like Master, Order From Chaos, Pan.Thy.Monium, Pungent Stench, etc...?

Re: Leaves' Eyes ...and this thread has officially been hijacked to planet old school death metal by the Nevertanezrans. *Imperial March starts playing* BRAAM BRAAM BRAAM BROM BRAH BROM BROM BRAH BROOOM... Anyhow, the interesting thing I notice is that no one's actually said that Leaves' Eyes is bad. I've just seen recommendations for Theatre Of Tragedy and Atrocity. I should say that 'Meredead' seems a bit low-energy compared to their other stuff. Liv Kristine seems less enthusiastic in particular. As for Theatre Of Tragedy (may as well keep on them, they are still gothic metal) I do like their first self-titled and Liv Kristine's voice sounds great, but it sounds like she's mumbling the words sometimes. Weird, because she usually has very good enunciation.