Bands You'd Like to See

Iceni

The idea behind this thread is to post ideas for bands whose concerts you'd attend and whose material you'd buy if only these bands existed. For example, I wish there were some band which sang about Old English history such as fighting the Danes and the Normans. I'd also like to see a tech death version of Omnium Gatherum... and some scarier symphonic power metal with harpsichords and a pipe organ. Anyhow, whatever oddball or downright awesome bands you want to see, feel free to put them on here!

Re: Bands You'd Like to See

i'd like to see the sonisphere lineup of 2011, but instead of the big 4 headlining, it would be the other way around if that makes sense like i want all the little bands on top, because those were the bands i really liked :L
Well, that's not really what I meant. There are so many bands I want to see perform that I've got a whole Word document to keep track of them. I meant to ask: what bands would you like to exist that as of yet don't exist? I posted a couple of my ideas to get the discussion started. But I can somewhat relate to that...this year's ProgPower USA lineup has Sanctuary, Therion and Dream Evil, none of which I really like...but Darkwater was a last minute addition and I'd DEFINITELY want to go see them.

Re: Bands You'd Like to See oooh i see! like Matt Halpern from Periphery on drums Daniel Tompkins from TesseracT on lead vocals Mikee Goodman from SikTh on secondary lead vocals Mårten Hagström from Meshuggah on rhythm guitar John Petrucci from Dream Theater on lead guitar . . . Les Claypool on bass . . . . . . .

Re: Bands You'd Like to See So djenty prog-death with slap bass...yeah, I could go for that. :) I'll make a more detailed contribution: Rain Irving - lead vocals Michael Romeo-lead guitar Jani Stefanovic - rhythm guitar, growling Nick Van Dyk- keyboards, programming Rolf Pilve - drums Of course, for different moods different lineups work, but a synthesis of Redemption, Symphony X and Solution .45 with death growling and While Heaven Wept's vocals could, I think, be ownage.

Re: Bands You'd Like to See Devin Townsend - vocals, guitars Roine Stolt - vocals, guitars Neal Morse - vocals, keyboards Mike Portnoy - drums Hm, weird combination. Would be interesting to see a fusion of these. Stolt, Portnoy and Morse work brilliantly together (as seen in the supergroup Transatlantic), seeing them combine with Townsend would be epic if it worked. On bass, not too sure, I don't really pay attention to bass :P

Re: Bands You'd Like to See Good, this is rolling now! Interesting. I'll have to check out Transatlantic. Maybe put Jeroen Paul Thesseling of Obscura on bass...I suspect you'd like John Entwhistle, but sadly he's dead. But Neal Morse sounds like a great guy. I don't know about his music, I suppose I'll give that a shot too. But he reminds me a lot of Brahms, actually. Brahms was humble and witty, and he espoused a lot of the values I do. :)

Re: Bands You'd Like to See You've got to listen to Neal Morse, it's like Christian symphonic prog rock/metal. And Transatlantic create the best epic songs ever. Their latest release, "The Whirlwind" (2009) is a single as well as a full-length album. It contains only one song: the 78-minute epic "The Whirlwind". Also, I got another idea today. If we combine: Devin Townsend - vocals, guitars Jem Godfrey - keyboards, vocals, guitars Andy Tillison - keyboards, vocals That would be awesome. You'd get the pure awesomeness and versatility of Devin Townsend, the brilliant, up-lifting jazz fusion-prog of Andy Tillison and the epic composition and pop-influences of Jem Godfrey.

Re: Bands You'd Like to See Something I thought of on the black metal thread: I had actually always wanted a kind of 'monk metal'... Something based on hymns or Byzantine-type singing, along with guitars based somewhat around central pipe organ melodies, where all of the members wore robes like that. It may well be something original to bring to the scene, especially with songs structured like hymns with the same long, basic theme repeated over a couple of verses, with added elements thrown in. You could very easily take in classical elements if you're composing long melodies, so that's an added bonus. I think it would reach back to older church history and provide something original to the metal scene.

• 2 months later...