Garden - Prog Symphonic/Power metal

Garden

I'm the songwriter for Garden, a progressive metal group from Scotland. Our sound is somewhere along the lines of Kamelot, Symphony X, Dream Theater etc. but with some broader intake from other genres besides metal. Our "USP" is the inclusion of violin, cello, sax and clarinet in our lineup alongside the staple guitar, bass, drums, keys & vocals. So we have one demo recorded, along with a MIDI demo of something really new, which may or may not be very informative depending on whether you're used to MIDI. We're recording our first EP at the moment, which should be finished in a couple of months but we might stick a song up before then... I'll bump this thread with meaningful progress reports. Please do have a listen Cheers! http://www.facebook.com/gardenprog http://garden.bandcamp.com/track/incubus-demo

Re: Garden - Prog Symphonic/Power metal Impressive. It sounds a bit like an Arcturus song I've heard, crossed with a bit of Solitude Aeternus, plus a bit of Sigh in the sound. So definitely progressive. Cleaner sound production will probably make this sound even better. At this point the only complaint I'd make is that the drums seem simple especially in comparison to everything else going on. The saxophone was a welcome addition. I don't suppose you've heard of Suspyre? :) Prog is my favorite genre of metal so I'm glad when I can find good new bands, since they tend to be few and far between.

Re: Garden - Prog Symphonic/Power metal Really good feedback! The equipment we're using is a definite step up for the EP and the performances will be tighter and all that, time was the priority with the demo, which in retrospect was possibly a mistake as we can't plug it quite so shamelessly due to its quality. On top of that, the new material is even more prog-like, in particular the drums, which you're absolutely right about in Incubus. What's more, you might have noticed they were MIDI, that won't be the case on the EP so things should be more embellished to match the rest of the instrumentation. I have heard Suspyre, they're a great band! As it happens the decision to include saxophone was incidental. The wind player I had to play brass parts also played sax and I had put off writing sax parts deliberately to avoid being labelled as following too closely to a band like Suspyre or Dream Theater's "Another Day" or something, but I decided fuck it, and the results are exciting! Oh, and don't forget to "like" the facebook page pals... I'll try not to forget all the forums I've been plugging but the facebook is more certain for up to date info when it becomes available. Thanks a lot for your reply!

Re: Garden - Prog Symphonic/Power metal I haven't got a Facebook, so I can't really do that. The saxophone bits reminded me of Suspyre, but they definitely weren't a copy. I must confess I had a bit of trouble hearing clarinet and violin, so if your new material has more those elements stand out more that'd be great too.

• 1 month later...

Re: Garden - Prog Symphonic/Power metal I've just done a preliminary mix of "Freya's Song" from our upcoming debut EP, please have a listen to the sample, and if you like it, please spread the word and "like" the facebook page or follow us on soundcloud! Cheers Samuel http://www.facebook.com/gardenprog http://soundcloud.com/garden-prog/freyas-song-sample

• 4 months later...

Re: Garden - Prog Symphonic/Power metal There is now a full, first mix of Freya's Song. The EP is taking longer than expected but this song is complete, have a listen at Facebook or Soundcloud, and do "like", follow or share if you fancy! Cheers Samuel https://www.facebook.com/gardenprog http://soundcloud.com/garden-prog/freyas-song

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Garden - Prog Symphonic/Power metal We've just uploaded another first-mix of a song from the upcoming EP. It's called North and is what you *might* be tempted to call a ballad. Nevermind what one calls it, it features some of the softer material that will make up our first release, as well as some of the more vicious segments. Have a listen, and "like" the facebook page if you use the site. https://www.facebook.com/gardenprog http://garden.bandcamp.com/track/north P.S the songs we've uploaded so far (with the exception of Incubus) are dead quiet as I've no idea how to master in logic. Just turn up the volume, of course, but the final release will be at a more appropriate volume.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh okay haha, it did seem a bit like a telling off, but it's a fair point! As it happens I'm criminally out of touch with metal and contemporary music in general so it's not a bad idea to lurk at the very least... In the meantime, our second update is online, featuring saxophone, clarinet and incoherent mumbling!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just uploaded a sampler for our upcoming EP containing excerpts from each of the tracks, have a listen and do share it if you like what you hear. It's the closest thing we'll have to a single to promote the EP prior to its release so any assistance is greatly appreciated! Cheers

audio only "Somewhere Else" EP Sampler by Garden music on SoundCloud - Hear the world?s sounds

• 5 weeks later...