the live show thread

Relentless - totally agree with Ghouls, and I was gonna say this to you earlier. Seriously, don't miss out. 

Speaking of which, I'm super lucky to be going to see Opeth this coming Thursday. Ghost Reveries in its entirety. I was very impressed with that material live on the GR tour even though I didn't dig the album at the time. I can't wait to see it happen again. 

I'm jealous as well. I'd love to see Manilla Road, even at the risk of personal injury. Moshing ought to be an expression of solidarity that is friendly and embracing, not a venue for an obnoxious or even dangerous display of aggression. 

I was very disappointed that twice, physical fights broke out. They were two different pairs of guys, but obviously come from a place where machismo and violence is the norm. This was like, a meter away from me. I noped the fuck out of there and distanced myself because I didn't want to get caught in the fray. NOT cool. I don't appreciate people picking fights at gigs.

I think I've mentioned before that pits really aren't my thing. I am a tiny person and I'm not really capable of taking impacts, but when a pit forms and you're packed into a venue as tight as sardines it can be hard to move in any direction. The best I can usually manage is to shimmy behind some bigger dude and let him be on the edge of the pit. That said when pits turn negative and violent it is a huge disappointment to what should be an uplifting outlet for others.

Relentless - totally agree with Ghouls, and I was gonna say this to you earlier. Seriously, don't miss out. 

Speaking of which, I'm super lucky to be going to see Opeth this coming Thursday. Ghost Reveries in its entirety. I was very impressed with that material live on the GR tour even though I didn't dig the album at the time. I can't wait to see it happen again. 

Seen Opeth play something like 10 times now, and I have never been disappointed in a gig, even if they didn't play my favorite stuff. They are just so, so incredibly skilled at what they do. Musicianship at its finest.

I have a friend who didn't go see Death on their last tour because he didn't know who they were. He still kicks himself over it to this day. Don't k ow the band? Fucking look them up, or post a question on here to your MF buddies. Especially with you being in a place like me where many bands won't play, you can't afford to miss opportunities if you like seeing metal live. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cult Leader, fuck yeah. They tore it up tonight. Lots of energy, nothing but heavy. Their drummer is a beast, but a beast with brains. I was situated next to the bass cab, so I couldn't catch a great picture of their overall sound, but they played well and kept everything moving. 

Their drummer had to get up at one point and grab a mic to yell at some kid in the crowd who was throwing water at them. Made me realize that little things like that can make the difference in mood for the whole crowd, at least at a smaller venue.

BAN, do you know these guys? They're from SLC. 

I have a friend who didn't go see Death on their last tour because he didn't know who they were. He still kicks himself over it to this day. Don't k ow the band? Fucking look them up, or post a question on here to your MF buddies. Especially with you being in a place like me where many bands won't play, you can't afford to miss opportunities if you like seeing metal live. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I actually did post on here asking whether Behemoth or Watain put on good live performances but no one got back to me about it. Maybe I missed something awesome, maybe not, I've scoped out the next gig I'm hitting anyway 'cause it will almost certainly be the last time Maiden visit Australia and it's the first arena tour they've played here since the Flight 666 tour.

I actually did post on here asking whether Behemoth or Watain put on good live performances but no one got back to me about it. Maybe I missed something awesome, maybe not, I've scoped out the next gig I'm hitting anyway 'cause it will almost certainly be the last time Maiden visit Australia and it's the first arena tour they've played here since the Flight 666 tour.

Personally I found Behemoth to be a bit boring live :(
Haven't seen Watain.

Tonight I just got back from seeing Ghost and they put on one hell of a theatrical performance. The guitar tone they managed to achieve was phenomenal, they played all the songs I wanted to hear, all in all it was amazing!!!! 10/10

I don't really get Ghost. Best I can tell it's retro rock with satanic lyrics and imagery unless there's two bands called Ghost now... Glad you enjoyed it though.

Ghost seems to divide people. They have a great classic sound and that sort of fuzzy retro production on their albums that I love. They have great songwriting and you can hear so many different influences in their sound. Broadly speaking I enjoy satanic themes in music, but where a lot of black metal is hamfisted and intended for shock value (like with severed pigs heads and naked women covered in blood up on stage), Ghost sort of takes Satanism and makes it 'family friendly' which is kinda all the more fucked up and it appeals to me.  They've crafted an entire image, a sound, a performance and they're entertaining as hell and I personally like the whole catholic theme turned evil.

I did actually respond to that and say that Watain isn't as good live as they used to be, but both bands put on a good show and they would be worth seeing. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ghost seems to divide people. They have a great classic sound and that sort of fuzzy retro production on their albums that I love. They have great songwriting and you can hear so many different influences in their sound. Broadly speaking I enjoy satanic themes in music, but where a lot of black metal is hamfisted and intended for shock value (like with severed pigs heads and naked women covered in blood up on stage), Ghost sort of takes Satanism and makes it 'family friendly' which is kinda all the more fucked up and it appeals to me.  They've crafted an entire image, a sound, a performance and they're entertaining as hell and I personally like the whole catholic theme turned evil.

What I've heard sounded like very dull retro rock that played more on expectations and stereotypes than letting the creative juices flow within a certain sound context. Kind of like the difference between a schlock film and a period piece. They are getting huge though, I just saw that they're going to be playing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Friday, so maybe I'll check it out, since their live show seems to be almost universally heralded. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cult Leader, fuck yeah. They tore it up tonight. Lots of energy, nothing but heavy. Their drummer is a beast, but a beast with brains. I was situated next to the bass cab, so I couldn't catch a great picture of their overall sound, but they played well and kept everything moving. 

Their drummer had to get up at one point and grab a mic to yell at some kid in the crowd who was throwing water at them. Made me realize that little things like that can make the difference in mood for the whole crowd, at least at a smaller venue.

BAN, do you know these guys? They're from SLC. 

I don't know them, nor Gaza, who they sort of sprang up from, nor have I seen either band live, despite our proximity. I think Ksmash knows at least one member, but I'm not sure. Usually once a band gets recognized here, they stop playing live locally, with Visigoth as seemingly the sole exception to that. I have heard good things about both bands though, so I'll have to check them out at some point. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't know them, nor Gaza, who they sort of sprang up from, nor have I seen either band live, despite our proximity. I think Ksmash knows at least one member, but I'm not sure. Usually once a band gets recognized here, they stop playing live locally, with Visigoth as seemingly the sole exception to that. I have heard good things about both bands though, so I'll have to check them out at some point. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Your taste is a bit different from mine, but we seem to like similar sounds on the hardcore side of things. I like this full-length better than the Gaza that I've heard. The whole album is definitely worth listening to, as there are some nice dynamic shifts throughout - it's not all cut from the same cloth. Not as technical or varied as that Converge album I always recommend, but it's got a consistent, dark atmosphere that I find compelling. 

Here's their Bandcamp: 

https://cultleadermusic.bandcamp.com/

I did actually respond to that and say that Watain isn't as good live as they used to be, but both bands put on a good show and they would be worth seeing. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Forgive me oh Bearded One for I either did not see or have forgotten about your response.

Forgive me oh Bearded One for I either did not see or have forgotten about your response.

I just found out from someone that was at this show that Bölzer opened, which means that you REALLY fucked up by missing this one. Bölzer was absolutely stunning when they played MDF 2014, easily a top 5 band of the year for me with Dark Angel and The Ruins of Beverast (yes, beating out the likes of Taake, Incantation, Immolation, Asphyx, and many other stupidly great acts). Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

A couple of days ago I was at the Motley Crue concert at Wembley. I really only went to see Alice Cooper, and I have to say that the sound was the worst I've ever known at a concert. I couldn't hear the singing at all, and even the in between song patter was inaudible. But you didn't need to be unable to hear properly to know Vince Neal could only manage half of the lyrics. Younger than Alice and he sooo showed them up. Thank god it's their last tour!

• 1 month later...

Yellow Eyes was good. The sound wasn't great, but they were tight enough to pull off their harmonic shifts well. Every other band tonight was a variation on that new school melodic blast beat BM with muddy guitars and drowned vocals. Everyone croaked like a cut rate Abbath who thought he was Varg or Attila, and everyone apparently just discovered the magic of the root to minor 6th chord progression. Yawn. 

9 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Yellow Eyes was good. The sound wasn't great, but they were tight enough to pull off their harmonic shifts well. Every other band tonight was a variation on that new school melodic blast beat BM with muddy guitars and drowned vocals. Everyone croaked like a cut rate Abbath who thought he was Varg or Attila, and everyone apparently just discovered the magic of the root to minor 6th chord progression. Yawn. 

Any redeeming stage antics?