the live show thread

Re: the live show thread

Sometimes the best bands deliver the best shows: AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, The Scorpions, Rob Zombie, Saxon, Dropkick Murphys (when they were an Oi! band), Sham 69 (rare, admittedly), Sepultura, Slayer, Sick Of It All, Judas Priest, Rammstien, Ozzy, Twisted Sister.... And sometimes you get sensational live shows from the unexpected: Murphy's Law, Agnostic Front, Dog Eat Dog, Biohazard, Peter and The Test Tube Babies,, Toy Dolls, Hard Skin, King Prawn And somehow there's major dissapointments: Motorhead (not always great, but not often bad), Iron Maiden (seen 'em at Ayr Pavilion twice and Glasgow Apollo once-poor stuff, even though I like them), Fear Factory (you've had your chance, lads), Ministry (going through the motions IMO), Faith No More (patchy), Entombed, Crowbar, The Ramones (no, there is nothing clever about playing so fast that your singer can't keep up).
I'm surprised to see Ministry on you disappointments list, that was easily one of the most intense and impressive shows I've ever seen. It was actually on Mother's day that I saw them, can't remember if it was 5 or 6 years ago, but they were incredible. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm surprised to see Ministry on you disappointments list, that was easily one of the most intense and impressive shows I've ever seen. It was actually on Mother's day that I saw them, can't remember if it was 5 or 6 years ago, but they were incredible. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
The first time I saw them was at Brixton Academy on the Sphinctour. They were awful. The gig was recorded and some of the tracks made the live album later on, but the gig was roundly panned by the metal press. Saw them a couple of years later and they were brilliant. But Al was totally clean by then. I don't know how many times I've seen Motorhead, 20 maybe, but the first time was Iron Fist and they were awful that night. Some 7 new songs from an album not yet released. When I look back at that gig and read about the friction in the band at the time, we were witnessing the death of the 'classic' line-up right before our eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay heres my classic concert going memory list...just the ones WORTH remembering..good and bad. Best Shows: AC/DC (4) Slayer (4) Motorhead (3) Ozzy w/Rob Zombie "Weird Al" Yankovic (4) Autopsy -first show in 15 years mdf 2010 Megadeth (3) Destroyer 666 (2) Bolt Thrower (2) Van Halen Destruction (3) Blind Guardian (2) D.R.I. (2) KISS (original line up) Kreator (3) Morbid Angel Obituary Pentagram Cannibal Corpse Deicide (2) Abscess Possessed (Becerra w/Sadistic Intent) Immortal Heaven & Hell (met Dio '08) Judas Priest (2) Anvil (4) Testament (3) Rush (3) Symphony X Asphyx (2) April Wine (4) Dimmu Borgir Gwar Deceased The Who (2) The Rolling Stones Repulsion Arch Enemy (2) Carcass Entombed David Wilcox (2) Enslaved (2) Immolation Type O' Negative Dying Fetus Alice Cooper (3) Iron Maiden (3) Rotting Christ Melechesh Absu Brutal Truth Atheist Sigh Turisas Ensiferum Finntroll Bad Shows (dont tend to attend shows I dont like so this should be short): Opeth (2) George Thorogood (surprised) Motley Crue (half and half) Watain Portal Eyehategod Korpiklaani Hammerfall Infected Mushroom ...blah blah blah

Re: the live show thread

Okay heres my classic concert going memory list...just the ones WORTH remembering..good and bad. Best Shows: AC/DC (4) Slayer (4) Motorhead (3) Ozzy w/Rob Zombie "Weird Al" Yankovic (4) Autopsy -first show in 15 years mdf 2010 Megadeth (3) Destroyer 666 (2) Bolt Thrower (2) Van Halen Destruction (3) Blind Guardian (2) D.R.I. (2) KISS (original line up) Kreator (3) Morbid Angel Obituary Pentagram Cannibal Corpse Deicide (2) Abscess Possessed (Becerra w/Sadistic Intent) Immortal Heaven & Hell (met Dio '08) Judas Priest (2) Anvil (4) Testament (3) Rush (3) Symphony X Asphyx (2) April Wine (4) Dimmu Borgir Gwar Deceased The Who (2) The Rolling Stones Repulsion Arch Enemy (2) Carcass Entombed David Wilcox (2) Enslaved (2) Immolation Type O' Negative Dying Fetus Alice Cooper (3) Iron Maiden (3) Rotting Christ Melechesh Absu Brutal Truth Atheist Sigh Turisas Ensiferum Finntroll Bad Shows (dont tend to attend shows I dont like so this should be short): Opeth (2) George Thorogood (surprised) Motley Crue (half and half) Watain Portal Eyehategod Korpiklaani Hammerfall Infected Mushroom ...blah blah blah
That's quite the impressive list. I've seen some of those bands, but haven't seen just as many. Unfortunately where I'm located, many of those bands don't come through. I have to drive 800 miles to see Autopsy, Bolt Thrower, and Benediction this weekend because it's the closest they'll be to me. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The first time I saw Dimmu & Gwar they were great. Especially GWAR. I was a Hate Eternal fan but they were painfully boring live. I was having problems staying awake. Hypocrisy was boring as hell. I hate them anyway but they didn't do anything to win me over. The first two times I saw Lacuna Coil they were excellent. Their setlist could've been better, but they were on. The last time they were horrible. The same goes for GWAR. Children of Bodom suck. I can't stand them. Yes dude can shred and I dig that, but there's no substance to the music. It's like Yngwie with harsh vocals. Slayer sucked. I'm still bitter about how bad Jeff played. He was such a joke it wasn't funny. I'm told that was typical of him too. I was thinking about the Amon Amarth show you and I and Ian went to on their 'With Odin on Our Side' tour. The openers sucked but they were just on. Such energy, passion and attitude. I'd catch them again in a heartbeat.

Yeah I had to travel to MDF 2009/2010 for Autopsy/Bolt Thrower and a bunch of those bands who dont come near me..from Ottawa its like a 18-20 hour drive. Totally bummed I cant afford MDF this year..mostly just about Bolt Thrower. But gotta party with them and see them twice in one weekend in '09 so Im not too ashamed!

Why didnt you like seeing Watain? What made their performance bad?

They seemed to bore me both times I saw them...just didn't do it for me. Same with Portal, everybody else seemed to enjoy it, maybe just seemed boring cause of all the other amazing band that were playing perhaps? I thought it was boring though. Twice. Still rock a sticker on one of my cases though, I like them, but didn't seem to enjoy them that much live.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Just came back from this years Muskelrock festival. Probably one of my best festivals ever this far. Thursday i saw Vidunder, Vampire, Dead Lord, Attic, Aria and Procession. Friday, Deathstorm, Blues Pills, Nifelheim, Antichrist, Muro Saturday, Barbariön, Death Hawks, Witch Cross, Solstice, Dark Quarterer, Jex Toth, Bullet, In Solitude. The only band of these which were bad was Barbariön, really bad songwriting and lyrics overall. their only upside is the costumes and theme. Best was probably In Solitude, Vampire or Jex Toth which really surprised me. Or now when i think of it, Attic were really good too.

Re: the live show thread That Doom in June fest was awesome. My dad and I went to the Road Kill Grill to get some awesome barbecue before the show, then got to the show and it was still pretty early. The first couple of bands I saw were nothing special, but then Vegas locals Demon Lung kicked up the quality, and it stayed high for the rest of the night. They skirted (no pun intended) the current trend of female fronted doom being a thinly veiled attempt at "occult rock" and just brought the riffs. They reminded me of Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus, just with sort of ghostly female vocals, really enjoyable stuff. Rhett and Jason from Gravehill showed up before they went on, and they invited me to dinner with them. I was still full from the barbecue, but they insisted that I at least try a taco from the Korean/Mexican fusion restaurant we were at, and it was delicious. We went back in time to catch Castle. This is how retro metal should sound, old school, but original, with no pandering or idol worship. Awesome songs and energy, original melodies, while still sounding old school. Las Cruces played next, old school Texas doom that got the heads banging with huge riffs and great vocals. Hadn't heard them before, but they impressed me greatly, and I will have to get their albums. Ancestors played next, and surprised many by successfully mixing doom metal and post rock. The keyboards were great, the songs immersive, and the riffs were interesting and heavy without sounding too hipster. Manilla Road then got on stage to play an excellent and energetic set comprised of mostly old songs and tracks from the new album. Lots of tracks from Open the Gates and Crystal Logic, with some other great selections from Metal and The Deluge. The Skull were the absolute highlights of the night though. They sounded SO FUCKING HEAVY, and pounded out a killer set, playing almost all of Psalm 9 and The Skull. They also played a couple from the self titled, Manic Frustration, and Plastic Green Head, and a new song they had just written that actually sounded pretty good. The old shit was where it was at though, highlights for me were Psalm 9, Pray For the Dead, The Tempter, Victim of the Insane, and End of My Daze, and they encored with Tales of Brave Ulysses. Fucking awesome, incredible concert overall with great performances from lots of bands. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I was going to ask you (ban) to give us a report and you did. That's cool that you got to hang out with Rhett again. I messaged him about the Wild Rags stuff but haven't received a response yet. The band I wanted to see the most out of that show was The Skull and it sounds like they delivered.

I was going to ask you (ban) to give us a report and you did. That's cool that you got to hang out with Rhett again. I messaged him about the Wild Rags stuff but haven't received a response yet. The band I wanted to see the most out of that show was The Skull and it sounds like they delivered.
Yes they did, Eric and Ron were great overall (Eric's voice is starting to waver a bit, but he was smoking during the set), and that bass was part of the heaviness of their sound, huge roaring tone. The new guys were good too, both guitar players nailed their lines with awesome harmonies, riffs, and solos, and much to my doomy pleasure, all songs were played even slower than they were recorded on the albums. Rhett said the drummer made some mistakes, but I didn't notice, he probably just hears that stuff more as a drummer. It was really everything I was hoping for from them, and I was front and center with my head banging the whole time.

i've been looking to see if there are any bands heading this way anytime soon. Nile are apparently going to announce Australian tour dates in the near future but otherwise there's not much happening from international bands and almost all the local metal bands are shitty retro thrash acts so there's not much on that front either.

The only big live show Ive seen was Rock 2 Wellington, was really bored with Ozzy osbournes set which was really disappointing, But Alice Cooper made up for that with his, Kiss were shit and seemed to just been rolling with it, Lordi were actually really good even though most people did not know who they were haha.

Kiss always blows these days..Paul Stanley is an awful vocalist. I think its all been downhill since Peter Criss and Ace Frehley left in 2001.
They've always blown. I'll never understand how anyone ever got into that band.

The only big live show Ive seen was Rock 2 Wellington' date=' was really bored with Ozzy osbournes set which was really disappointing, But Alice Cooper made up for that with his, Kiss were shit and seemed to just been rolling with it, Lordi were actually really good even though most people did not know who they were haha.[/quote'] Ozzy's sucked live for years now. His voice is totally gone and yet people still flock to see him. He lost his ability to sing (if you can call what he did was "singing") around the mid 90's. That's when most people I know who saw him in the 80's-90's said he began to suck. Kiss is another that is just bad and hasn't aged well. Alice Cooper on the other hand still has it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well I can't list all the bands I've seen, I don't remember them all anymore. Now when I go to a show I put the ticket in a notebook so that I don't forget I went there. But there are shows you'll never never forget. The one for me that really couldn't compare with anything else in my concert experience was 3 years ago I think, Secret sphere/ Freedom Call/ Gamma ray. As you expect :) But the reason why I started to like Gamma ray so much and got interested is exactly because of the shows, when they headline nothing can compare with them. No fuss at all, no theatrical performances, they just play and have fun and you feel that the floor is shaking as in a big earthquake, not to mention how close you feel to the band and everyone around!I went there all alone, and had the time of my life, I managed to be in the very very front, there was no fence so the bands were interacting with the audience much more.SInce then I've seen them 2 more times, and every time they manage to make a set that's totally different than the one from the previous tour, and always manage to add in the songs I adore :) Other concerts I loved were the farewell Iced Earth show for Matt Barlow, Avantasia, Airbourne, the Helloween gig for the legacy world tour, an anniversairy show of Grave Digger!! :) The shows I didn't enjoy: Tiamat, Ministry, Deep Purple. Ministry is the champion!

• 2 years later...

Manilla Road and Slough Feg was amazing, in spite of getting whacked in the head with the headstock of a guitar :-(
And I got elbowed up and trampled from the edge of the pit which was a bit nuts... and c'mon... if your outfit is covered in a thousand spikes you probably shouldn't try to crowdsurf >__<
I went to Thee Parkside which is a very intimate and tiny venue so it was all around an incredible show. Manilla Road really blew me away. These guys are soooo tight! 

And I'm greatly looking forward to seeing Ghost next week at the Warfield. It's a good month for gigs so far =D

I'm jealous. Last two gigs to come across my radar I've missed either because I don't know enough of their material (Behemoth w/ Watain) or because my ID disappeared (Metal United Down Under). Iron Maiden are out here next year though and even with Bruce's vocals well past their prime I won't miss a chance to catch them in an arena this time.

Last two gigs to come across my radar I've missed either because I don't know enough of their material (Behemoth w/ Watain)

You would forego a gig because you don't know 'enough material'?

Life is short, bruh. See the bands while they come through! I have regretted not seeing bands as they've toured and then poof... they stop touring. Also even if you don't know enough material, seeing them live can give you this new appreciation for them and perhaps get you digging into a band's older catalog.

Edited by Ghouly