Opinions on Smoking (and my View)

Re: Opinions on Smoking (and my View)

Invoking the mystical "collectivized" risk influence is ill-advised' date=' one smoker or even 10,000 don't affect insurance premiums. On the other hand mandated insurance and the idiot we have in office randomly deciding that everyone needs to be insured will cause premiums to skyrocket.[/quote'] Sure they do, but my point was that even though smoking isn't the problem, it will still lead to problems in conjunction with our otherwise unhealthy lifestyles. More expenditures = higher premiums, and more people in hospitals means more expenditures. In theory, having a bigger pot to pull from (your entire tax base) means that costs are supposed to go down, as there should then be 40 million less people to have to absorb the cost of for everyone else, but it's clear that Obama is in bed with healthcare providers and lobbyists, as a nationwide increase in premiums with more people paying is complete bullshit. Our healthcare system is so completely fucked, in addition to being almost universally ineffective, we already pay thousands more per capita than any other developed nation with a much lower average life expectancy, and that's before we're forced to pay more. Many things have caused this, stemming from both our American mentality of entitlement and laziness, and the greed of big pharma, health insurance providers and hospital owners, and ineffective treatments that cost an arm and a leg. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Sure they do, but my point was that even though smoking isn't the problem, it will still lead to problems in conjunction with our otherwise unhealthy lifestyles. More expenditures = higher premiums, and more people in hospitals means more expenditures. In theory, having a bigger pot to pull from (your entire tax base) means that costs are supposed to go down, as there should then be 40 million less people to have to absorb the cost of for everyone else, but it's clear that Obama is in bed with healthcare providers and lobbyists, as a nationwide increase in premiums with more people paying is complete bullshit. Our healthcare system is so completely fucked, in addition to being almost universally ineffective, we already pay thousands more per capita than any other developed nation with a much lower average life expectancy, and that's before we're forced to pay more. Many things have caused this, stemming from both our American mentality of entitlement and laziness, and the greed of big pharma, health insurance providers and hospital owners, and ineffective treatments that cost an arm and a leg. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
The government stealing from more taxpayers to redistribute wealth to the "uninsured" will not drive down costs, the government cannot lower the cost of care seeing as its only exacerbating the issue by stealing from the young who are already struggling in a sluggish economy with record unemployment and other staggering factors. How will stealing what little money millennials are making to pay for the welfare of others make premiums go down, when overall the number of people are increasing and employers are already cutting down on f/t jobs overall to avoid paying for excess healthcare burdens? Also what of the states that opt out of Obamacare and choose to not participate, why does the individual mandate have to burden them and fine them when others are forced to pay? The whole law is a mess and I hope it fails.

The government stealing from more taxpayers to redistribute wealth to the "uninsured" will not drive down costs' date=' the government cannot lower the cost of care seeing as its only exacerbating the issue by stealing from the young who are already struggling in a sluggish economy with record unemployment and other staggering factors. How will stealing what little money millennials are making to pay for the welfare of others make premiums go down, when overall the number of people are increasing and employers are already cutting down on f/t jobs overall to avoid paying for excess healthcare burdens? Also what of the states that opt out of Obamacare and choose to not participate, why does the individual mandate have to burden them and fine them when others are forced to pay? The whole law is a mess and I hope it fails.[/quote'] I'm not arguing with the law being a complete failure, other than eliminating preexisting condition restrictions and allowing younger people to stay with their parents' insurance for longer, there is nothing redeeming about it. However, plenty of other countries have been using a state funded system for some time, and not only pay less for their health care than we do, but have better results. The idea of pulling it out of the tax base makes plenty of sense, as almost everyone is likely to use it at some point, so making everybody pay for what they will be using brings down the cost versus a large group of uninsured people still using the system, but bankrupting out of the debt that they can't pay (the #1 cause of bankruptcy in this country, mind you) means that our premiums rise for the system to absorb it. It speaks volumes about how fucking broken our system is, that adding more money into that pot would prompt providers to charge more to more people. Throwing more money at healthcare won't solve the problem, as we're throwing far too much at it already, healthcare is our 4th largest GDP, making up 8% of our entire market. What we need to do is no different than what we do in any other industry, stop using those whose services fail us, and shop for competitive rates on various products that are on the market, as opposed to letting charge masters price fix for services in the healthcare industry and paying way too much for shit that we don't need and doesn't even work.

• 1 year later...

I've had many close family and family friends die from the ill effects caused by smoking cigarettes. I personally have respiratory issues so naturally I've always condemned them. The thing that bugs me the most is when I see medical professionals smoking cigarettes on their breaks. It really just blows my mind, such a bad example to set for the public.