Personal favourite album covers

H34VYM3T4LD4V3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm a big fan of the cover artwork of heavy metal. I'm also interested in seeing what album cover art  other people really like and why. I will post some good ones too. I'm quite a fan of candlemass second album cover art for instance. 

Reasons why I like candlemass nightfall album cover. The interesting contrast between the dark and light parts of the picture. The rest of the picture I like as it's very atmospheric. However not a fan of the far away angel. Kinda of spoils it for me a bit. Also the angel interacting with the man is interesting too.

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'm a big fan of the cover artwork of heavy metal. I'm also interested in seeing what album cover art  other people really like and why. I will post some good ones too. I'm quite a fan of candlemass second album cover art for instance. 

Reasons why I like candlemass nightfall album cover. The interesting contrast between the dark and light parts of the picture. The rest of the picture I like as it's very atmospheric. However not a fan of the far away angel. Kinda of spoils it for me a bit. Also the angel interacting with the man is interesting too.

I've merged this with our album covers thread. Feel free to share some images. The best way to do that here is to link from another site since our upload limit is so small. If you link to the actual image it should embed automatically.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, MacabreEternal said:

Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

Bell Witch - Four Phantoms

Wow what amazing cover art. Thanks for posting these macabre.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:35 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I've merged this with our album covers thread. Feel free to share some images. The best way to do that here is to link from another site since our upload limit is so small. If you link to the actual image it should embed automatically.

Thanks father alabaster for above tips. Yeah makes no sense to have two threads for same thing.

Edited by blaaacdoommmmfan
Typo

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZjMjPCboquXpSdyx7

Megadeth rust in peace cover has always been a classic to me. In fact I can't even remember if I liked this before I started listening to metal. I definitely remember seeing the t shirt a few times and thinking what a cool cover.  Also my 3 year old son thinks it's great cover to. I'd got postcards of it in a metal magazine, he insisted it be put on his wall until my wife said no chance. Some people ehh

Ok this is rust in peace link. ? Peace sells is another cover that I really like https://images.app.goo.gl/LWKo9zkp8hnbGUzE6

Great covers. Satan one is rather a interesting one. Still working out what's going on. Think I can guess most of it as I see judge wig and hands behind bars. Judus priest cover is great though Very metal and I definitely would not want to meet the judus priest man in a deserted alley 😆 Same applies to exodus cover.  Out of interest can album covers be put on this thread using android operating system. If so how

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always thought power metal had great album covers for the most part:

DragonForce - "Valley of the Damned"

Rhapsody - "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" (both parts)

A few other favorites of mine are:

Overkill - "Ironbound" and "The Electric Age"

PanterA - "Far Beyond Driven" and "The Great Southern Trendkill"

Candlemass - "Nightfall", "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus", "Ancient Dreams"

Tons of great covers out there!

11 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah I agree on the power metal thought, I probably also put artwork over photographs in most cases.

Blind Guardian, Maiden and Helloween all usually have great covers, as do bands like Alestorm and Grave Digger. I don't even have to be a huge fan of a band to appreciate good artwork.

Yep, same here! Both parts of the "Keeper of the Seven Keys" in the 80's are tough to beat.  Ensiferum has some great ones.  Elvenking has some, too!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 1:30 AM, JamesT said:

I've always thought power metal had great album covers for the most part:

DragonForce - "Valley of the Damned"

Rhapsody - "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" (both parts)

A few other favorites of mine are:

Overkill - "Ironbound" and "The Electric Age"

PanterA - "Far Beyond Driven" and "The Great Southern Trendkill"

Candlemass - "Nightfall", "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus", "Ancient Dreams"

Tons of great covers out there!

Pantera- far beyond drivens cover is brutal. Apparently this was a tame version because they wanted something even more brutal. It's not tame in my book.😁 

Candlemass- nightfall is very excellent album cover imo. Very atmospheric. Thomas Cole is the painter. It's an old classic I'm assuming but I've never heard of the artist then again my knowledge of art is limited 😂 

What do you like about these covers?

On 10/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Pantera- far beyond drivens cover is brutal. Apparently this was a tame version because they wanted something even more brutal. It's not tame in my book.😁 

Candlemass- nightfall is very excellent album cover imo. Very atmospheric. Thomas Cole is the painter. It's an old classic I'm assuming but I've never heard of the artist then again my knowledge of art is limited 😂 

What do you like about these covers?

Absolutely!  I've seen the original album cover for "Far Beyond Driven" and it was definitely not for the faint-of-heart! 

Totally agree on the "Nightfall" cover.  That's one of my favorite albums of all time in general, and the cover art is some of the best.  That old painting is beautiful and haunting at the same time - just like Candlemass's music. It tells a story and gets you prepared for what you're about to hear.  That's the main thing I love about album covers.  In the past, when CD's were prevalent, I would sometimes make purchasing decisions based on the album cover, and it often paid off!

Any other favorites for you?  I love the cover for "Eternity" by Freedom Call.

Nokturnal Mortum "Verity"
Tiamat "Wildhoney"

(They look similar)

Pretty much everything ever done by Necrolord (In the Nightside Eclipse, The Secrets of the Black Arts, Storm of the Light's Bane, etc)

Rotting Christ "Thy Mighty Contract" & "Non Serviam"
Varathron "His Majesty at the Swamp"
Emperor "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk"

Darkthrone "Transylvanian Hunger" & "Panzerfaust"

On 10/18/2021 at 4:47 PM, JamesT said:

Absolutely!  I've seen the original album cover for "Far Beyond Driven" and it was definitely not for the faint-of-heart! 

Totally agree on the "Nightfall" cover.  That's one of my favorite albums of all time in general, and the cover art is some of the best.  That old painting is beautiful and haunting at the same time - just like Candlemass's music. It tells a story and gets you prepared for what you're about to hear.  That's the main thing I love about album covers.  In the past, when CD's were prevalent, I would sometimes make purchasing decisions based on the album cover, and it often paid off!

Any other favorites for you?  I love the cover for "Eternity" by Freedom Call.

James t, good to hear from you and yes. The nightfall cover is pretty cool definitely. Eternity by freedom call is cool also. Good one with that. It's very atmospheric. The priest type person with wings and light coming from eyes and hands is interesting. 

Tbh sometimes a album cover I like can be the difference between getting that album over other albums where the music is of similar standard, I've done this,

but not all album covers I like have music I like as much. I always have to listen first to few tracks at least

High the memory by abyssic is worth checking out. Similar stuff to that eternity album cover

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t, good to hear from you and yes. The nightfall cover is pretty cool definitely. Eternity by freedom call is cool also. Good one with that. It's very atmospheric. The priest type person with wings and light coming from eyes and hands is interesting. 

Tbh sometimes a album cover I like can be the difference between getting that album over other albums where the music is of similar standard, I've done this,

but not all album covers I like have music I like as much. I always have to listen first to few tracks at least

High the memory by abyssic is worth checking out. Similar stuff to that eternity album cover

Awesome!  I'll have to check that one out!  Cradle of Filth has a lot of cool covers.  Their newest album is no exception! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, JamesT said:

Cradle of Filth has a lot of cool covers.

Cradle of Filth's best album cover, in my opinion, was Dusk and Her Embrace because of the green monotone thing that it had going on. It was also one of the first black metal albums I ever bought, and I was all about that record for a while in the 10th and 11th grade.

• 1 year later...