Why do you go to metal shows?

slayer85

Im curious as to see what the fellow forum get out of going to metal shows! I know some just like to have a few drinks and mosh their aggression out to some of their favorite bands. Others are more into performance of the bands. And a few might just like to party and get drunk with the whomever is headlining.

Depends, Some bands are really much better live then they will ever be on record. And some I just go to too meet people and bang my head for an hour. Its another type of experience. I will use Watain as an example, because ive seen them live more than any other band. A normal liveshow gives you a experience that reaches your hearing and vision. They have animal parts and half rotten blood on stage to both strengthen the visual part and adding a smell which also is a part of the experience. Also, use of fire or similar can add more to it. I want to see this kind of things live, i dont want to see 5 guys in shorts and t-shirts banging their head for an hour. Offcourse ive been to many gigs who have been just like that but then i rather end up in a moshpit or something, because there is not much of interest on stage. I saw King Diamond in 2005, they had a big fence on the edge of the stage, That was my first live show with a theatrical/artistic touch and i can still see the stage in my head. It really put an impression on me. And i value it highly because of that. So to round it up. I go to alot of liveshows just to take a drink with some friends and listen to good metal. But the other reason is rather about the experience itself.

Re: Why do you go to metal shows? I go to see the bands perform. I'm a headbanger, not a mosher, and would rather take in the performance in my own way than knock into other people. Metal does translate well to a live environment, I can feel the music better when it's being played in front of me. I don't care who is there, I'm there for the bands. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Why do you go to metal shows?

it's the experience for me' date=' hearing the songs live and the atmosphere created by the crowd adds to that sadly I don't get to enough gigs, Black Sabbath next month will be the fifth or sixth gig I've been to and two of those gigs I didn't even want to go to[/quote'] How far are you from the main cities that bands would play in? Have you discovered any good bands from your hometown yet? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

For me it depends on the band. Some bands are only fun live, because, while they are not so good on the record, their music is great for just jumping/moshing/handbanging around and it is a lot of fun with friends. Others are great live as well as on record, I just love to experience their music live. As BAN said, you can feel the music better, hard to explain for me, just a lot of endorphines flowing around for me :). A good visual show is not so important for me, I like interaction with the audience and a great atmosphere, but fire shows or the like are not a must for me. I enjoy them, of cause, but I would enjoy the gig without proberbly as much. So for me it mainly getting lost in the music one way or the other. Neck pain is the best indicator of a good gig the next day, since I usually prefer headbanging to moshing, too. Depending on the fans, a pit can be great, too. But I am more for moshing WITH each other rather than AGAINST each other. It is a way of dancing for me, not a fight. Might sound untrue, but I never liked the people who actually start beating or purposely hurting others in the pit.

How far are you from the main cities that bands would play in? Have you discovered any good bands from your hometown yet? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I'm ten hours by car from Melbourne (one of two main cities bands play in) and about eighteen hours by car from Sydney (the other main city) and no there haven't even been any low level metal gigs it's all fucking pop-punk or hip-hop gigs but that looks set to change soonishly

For me it depends on the band. Some bands are only fun live, because, while they are not so good on the record, their music is great for just jumping/moshing/handbanging around and it is a lot of fun with friends. Others are great live as well as on record, I just love to experience their music live. As BAN said, you can feel the music better, hard to explain for me, just a lot of endorphines flowing around for me :). A good visual show is not so important for me, I like interaction with the audience and a great atmosphere, but fire shows or the like are not a must for me. I enjoy them, of cause, but I would enjoy the gig without proberbly as much. So for me it mainly getting lost in the music one way or the other. Neck pain is the best indicator of a good gig the next day, since I usually prefer headbanging to moshing, too. Depending on the fans, a pit can be great, too. But I am more for moshing WITH each other rather than AGAINST each other. It is a way of dancing for me, not a fight. Might sound untrue, but I never liked the people who actually start beating or purposely hurting others in the pit.
I agree about moshing! I can't stand it when someone is throwing punches in the pit! I picked up and slammed someone for doing that at a Goatwhore show for doing that!

I go alone most of the time to shows and festivals. Most friends who listen to metal do not live close to me, sadly. But it depends on the band. Most of the time, the music is much better live than on cd. But I also like the interaction with the audience. Also, with some bands, I like the atmosphere they can create, for example most doom metal bands, but also bands like Sólstafir. I just close my eyes and enjoy the music in that way. And on heavier parts I'm headbanging or something. I'm not really more into moshpits. However, they can be fun with the right people.

I must admit to being surprised at the original post. I grew up in the '70s and '80s when the live show was everything. I just thought that was still the case! The volume, the atmosphere, the sound, the show...Everything!!! If you can't do it live for me, I tend to 'fall out of love' with a band.

I must admit to being surprised at the original post. I grew up in the '70s and '80s when the live show was everything. I just thought that was still the case! The volume, the atmosphere, the sound, the show...Everything!!! If you can't do it live for me, I tend to 'fall out of love' with a band.
I agree! Their are a number of bands that can barely put on a show. Some of these bands are nothing more than a bunch of guys standing around playing instruments. Most of my favorite groups have a decent amount of stage presence, and can entertain a crowd.

I agree with gus666 on this. If a band cant do a good performance or if they have no stage presence what so ever. I mostly do stop listening to those bands, forget them to an extent. Its another thing with bands like Darkthrone who dont tour at all. Then all the impressions you can get are from the albums. Another thing is bands you dont listen to but anyway do good shows. In Flames are one of those bands that are fun to see live, but i never ever put on a album of theirs. I had mixed feelings about Anvil before i saw them on stage. And now, Well i just try to forget about their existence.

I agree! Their are a number of bands that can barely put on a show. Some of these bands are nothing more than a bunch of guys standing around playing instruments. Most of my favorite groups have a decent amount of stage presence' date=' and can entertain a crowd.[/quote'] If you think some metal bands are poor live, you should check out the indie scene! My wife likes some of them and I've been to a few, including T In The Park. I'd rather rub broken glass intae ma neck than watch REM, The Dandy Warholes or The Killers again. Bunch of university wankers that think they're intellectually superior to everyone. The worst live metal band pisses all over them, believe me!

I agree with gus666 on this. If a band cant do a good performance or if they have no stage presence what so ever. I mostly do stop listening to those bands' date=' [u']forget them to an extent. Its another thing with bands like Darkthrone who dont tour at all. Then all the impressions you can get are from the albums. Another thing is bands you dont listen to but anyway do good shows. In Flames are one of those bands that are fun to see live, but i never ever put on a album of theirs. I had mixed feelings about Anvil before i saw them on stage. And now, Well i just try to forget about their existence.
I'm glad you agree with me, Scullion. I always felt I was judging bands a bit harshly thinking that way! Fear Factory were a band I really like, then seen them supporting Ozzy at the Barrowlands in Glasgow and they were shite. Gave them another chance, headlining their own show a few months later and they were marginally better. But not much. Still listen to them but haven't bought an album since.... Funny you saying that about In Flames-I went along to see White Zombie with a mate, just for the night out/drinking. I didn't like them, but they were absolutely fantastic live. Never bought an album of theirs, but it made me more open minded to Rob zombie's solo stuff when it was released, and I love those albums.

to me the best time to ee band live when they have like 3 cds or 4 cds out this way they more material to listein to anyone agree on that
I dont think that is true. If the band can put on a good show. It shouldnt matter how many albums they have put out.

To get wild' date=' drunk and fuckin` happy!!!! Metalheads should be living for the gigs right?[/quote'] Agree and Disagree, Living for the gigs is kind of what i do mostly. They are the thing in this world i look forward to the most. But i dont really need to get drunk when there are good music played. A few beer do just fine.

I saw Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and King Diamond the same year, 2005 i think. I turned 18 that year so it was kind of late but ever since that ive been going to as much as possible. even if i dont know the bands playing, great way of finding new favorites.