Ghost

gus666

First album has like three decent songs, the second album is complete horseshit and the band should probably just give up the ghost and admit they aren't going to meet the expectations of that 750,000$ recording advance they got. They are riding a trend that is on its way out with bands like The Devil's blood breaking up, the occult rock/vest metal trend is fucking shit.

First album has like three decent songs' date=' the second album is complete horseshit and the band should probably just give up the ghost and admit they aren't going to meet the expectations of that 750,000$ recording advance they got. They are riding a trend that is on its way out with bands like The Devil's blood breaking up, the occult rock/vest metal trend is fucking shit.[/quote'] I obviously disagree mate, but especially about the trend thing. I don't think they're following a trend at all, and their whole 'satanism' thing is very tongue-in-cheek...

Re: Ghost

I wouldnt consider them metal at all.

But that they shouldnt be popular among people who enjoys rock music.. ? Really?

NTNR's tastes are ambiguous and confusing to put it lightly. What's interesting about his hatred for Ghost is that I most often hear their sound compared to Blue Oyster Cult, a band that NTNR loves. Then again, how somebody could hate Celtic Frost when their favorite death metal band is Obituary is beyond me.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

NTNR's tastes are ambiguous and confusing to put it lightly. What's interesting about his hatred for Ghost is that I moat often hear their sound compared to Blue Oyster Cult, a band that NTNR loves. Then again, how somebody could hate Celtic Frost when their favorite death metal band is Obituary is beyond me. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Well we're all entitled to an opinion, even if it seems contradictory. Of course, in the modern sense of metal, Ghost aren't really metal, but the first time I heard them was 'Ritual' and I thought "That's BOC, and that solo has got Buck Dharma's fingerprints all over it...". The new stuff definitely has a feeling of "The Beatles have found Satan", but I like it. And my lugs were absolutely BLASTED when I saw them last month, so fuckin' loud I couldn't believe it!

• 3 weeks later...

Ghost to me are massively underwhelming. They are a gimmick driven, mediocre at best retro occult rock band. From any interviews I have read with them they seem to be absolute immersed in the whole Satan and "end of humanity" slur. They make Glen Benton sound normal almost by comparison (and at least Benton makes decent music by contrast). I am baffled by their success and think that without the gimmick they would be unsigned and probably unheard of amongst the metal community (they most definitely are not metal).

Offcourse Ghosts success depends on their ''gimmick'' the whole idea of that Satan would enter them and write their music, They been making everything like that, they made an interview early on when they took the guy with a bag over his head to a location, put him in a dark room and then made the interview. They mystery around them got them attention yes. Again, this type of things is part of an image, Something many bands dont have, which i think is sad, because in my eyes it makes them boring, Sure the music absolutely comes first but to watch a band play live without anything more than just music could go either way. Now again im talking about liveshows, but thats what got me liking Ghost from the beginning.

Offcourse Ghosts success depends on their ''gimmick'' the whole idea of that Satan would enter them and write their music, They been making everything like that, they made an interview early on when they took the guy with a bag over his head to a location, put him in a dark room and then made the interview. They mystery around them got them attention yes. Again, this type of things is part of an image, Something many bands dont have, which i think is sad, because in my eyes it makes them boring, Sure the music absolutely comes first but to watch a band play live without anything more than just music could go either way. Now again im talking about liveshows, but thats what got me liking Ghost from the beginning.
'Metal' has always suffered from an image crisis with the music press (I'm not meaning the general media, but 'serious' music journalists), and yes, whilst the 2nd Ghost album in particular has serious Beatles influences (so does Ozzy's 'Ozmosis' album and Motorhead's 1916), it can only be good when you see the silly fun Papa and The Ghouls are having, playing at Satanism and producing great and very talented, rock music. The 'gimmick' is great fun! Lighten up guys! It's not meant to be taken that seriously!! But I reckon the guys 'n' ghouls are very good song writers and may be around for a lot longer than even they think....

• 2 years later...

Surprisingly, my dad does also. He even asked me to go with him to their concert in december, haha.

Haha, Great! 

I'm waiting to see if they would come. They was here last year for the first time, with Iron Maiden.

I hope that they will decide to come again. They became huge here after the Maiden concert.

Haha, Great! 

I'm waiting to see if they would come. They was here last year for the first time, with Iron Maiden.

I hope that they will decide to come again. They became huge here after the Maiden concert.

I think they became huge in general. I interviewed one of the Nameless Ghouls (the lead guitarist) a few weeks ago and he told me that they just hang with Metallica, Foo Fighters and all that sort of bands. Also, the production of the new album is done by a guy who usually produces Madonna and stuff.

I think they became huge in general. I interviewed one of the Nameless Ghouls (the lead guitarist) a few weeks ago and he told me that they just hang with Metallica, Foo Fighters and all that sort of bands. Also, the production of the new album is done by a guy who usually produces Madonna and stuff.

We waited eight years for Metallica to come. Foo Fighters don't even have us in their plans, hah.

I hope that Ghost will come as a headliner, not support band.

The closest country which they have in plan is Hungary but I don't have money to go. So, all I can is to wait...

Well, that guy has done an amazing job, hah.

We waited eight years for Metallica to come. Foo Fighters don't even have us in their plans, hah.

I hope that Ghost will come as a headliner, not support band.

The closest country which they have in plan is Hungary but I don't have money to go. So, all I can is to wait...

Well, that guy has done an amazing job, hah.

One day hopefully for you. Or just get a lot of money somehow so you can get to Hungary :D

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, Fenmetal said:

This band is wildly popular and I don't understand why. Iv tried listening to some of their stuff and just can't get there. If you had to pick the best song to introduce someone to them, what would it be? 

Thanks in advance!

I've moved your post to the existing thread. Maybe you'll find what you're looking for here. I've only listened to Ghost a couple of times. The guy has a good voice, but it's not really my flavor of rock. 

• 1 year later...

Firstly, I'm glad the forum has become a bit more a nicer place than it apparently was three or four years ago. Gosh. 

Secondly, I think Ghost are actually pretty good, although it's really only just recently that I've bothered to listen to them. There are certain of their songs that I actually really like a lot, but I do find that others don't really excite me, so I haven't yet mustered up the effort to buy a whole album. 

Songs like 'Square Hammer' and 'Circe' are great tracks.