Top 5 - Saddest Metal Songs

dilatedmind

In reverse order what are your top 5 saddest Metal songs? (with links / videos) and why? Obviously if this changes, post another top 5! 5. Motörhead "1916" EqFoqtpUFY8 Doesn't really sound like any other work I've heard from the legendary band but it's a good song none the less. Shows a little versatility also, even though it's not required from them (in my opinion). A lot of bands nod to war times in their tracks and pay homage and I like this one. 4. Metallica "Fade To Black" Nu4wvvoA9-s Possibly a controversial choice and I am sure a lot of opinions will differ. I think the reason I like this is the crisp guitar and the signature vocals. Also their is no lyrical repetition which is quite rare. 3. Anathema - One Last Goodbye IfGgKApO_6g A really beautiful departure song. I am not generally into this kind of thing either. I mainly listen to much harder and up beat music. There is an undeniable talent here though. The video above is an acoustic set. 2. Amon Amarth - Thousand Years of Oppression uUjOeAyWqx4 Some great drumming, riffs. I find it hard to be sad listening to death vocals (can't imagine why)... The main reason for including this track is the lyrics, although it's perhaps less sad and more vengeful.

After a thousand years of oppression Let the berserks rise again Let the world hear these words once more "Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
1. Iced Earth - I Died For You XFj7loBt4zM Another track with really crisp guitar and I think it really makes the track. This is more like it, it has everything a good listenable track would need but keeps the sad vibe throughout. Iced Earth are great.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Iced Earth - I Died For You ( i agree with you here :P ) ~>

4. Axenstar - Drifting ~>
3. Sonata Arctica - The Misery ~> Sonata Arctica - The Misery - YouTube 4. Sonata Arctica - Letter To Dana ~>
5. Rainbow - Catch The Rainbow ~> Rainbow - Catch The Rainbow - YouTube ~Hard list i probably could find some way sadder ones if i thought about it~

I would agree, Thousand Years of Oppression definitely isn't sad. If Amon Amarth is representing such a tough warrior culture they sure don't need sympathy. Especially not when the people they represent got thrashed by the people they mock as weak. Pendulum by Funeral Abyss by Circus Maximus Blood Red Diamond by Lost In Thought The Things We Believe In by Orden Ogan No Tickets To The Funeral by Redemption These ones are all fairly said, but many have hopeful themes to them.

Not a single doom song so far, WTF? These are my picks off the top of my head, not definitive by any means, but all of these songs bring my mood down and make me feel like shit, but ya know, in a good way. Shining - Längtar bort från mitt hjärta: U48VHQQDP8o Love 'em or hate 'em, Shining's V: Halmstad is the audio equivalent of slashing your wrists open and bleeding out slowly and painfully. Their stage antics and non-musical behavior certainly leave plenty to be desired, many viewing Kvarforth as some kind of idiot man child always seeking attention, and they're definitely not wrong. However, most psychiatrists would probably classify that as a cry for help, as he obviously does struggle with depression if he's writing songs this bleak, sad, and depressing. Beautiful, chilling, and totally miserable, the mood here is so tangible that it always drags down my mood with it. Novembers Doom - Last God: G5Xbrbuk29E Novembers Doom's songs are typically pretty sad and melancholic sounding, at least they were when they were actually a doom metal band. However, I think that they took it to another level with the song Last God, a deeply emotional song about loss. It is for this reason that I feel that The Knowing is their best album, because this song tugs at your heartstrings in a way in a way that all doom/death should, but never quite reaches this level of sadness. Especially the line where he growls "It should be me that's gone" gets me every time, so soaked with pain and melancholy. Awesome song by what used to be an awesome band. Katatonia - Gateways of Bereavement: ROa9XW6knXs Katatonia were not always a modern gothic rock/metal band, in their early days they were one of the most harrowing and melancholic bands in all of metal. Their songs, lyrics, and vocals were all completely pain and grief stricken, and that doesn't even mention the guitars. Blakkheim once composed some of the most beautiful and sad sounding melodies ever in the history of metal, and would be enough to paint a bleak picture by themselves without the accompaniment of the rest of the music. This is quite honestly my favorite doom metal album of all time, and is the pinnacle of sadness and melancholic expression in metal IMO. Swans - Failure (not metal, but easily the most depressing song I've ever heard): pWStaRmuXzY Swans are not a metal band, but have been deeply influential to many metal bands, especially those of an atmospheric or industrial nature. As you may have guessed from the song title, this song is about failure, and is easily the saddest and most depressing song I've ever heard in any genre. Everything about this depresses me, the lyrics, the sad, sullen playing, the monotonous, harrowing vocals, this song brings a lot of negative shit out of me like no other song can. There's something underneath all of that though, I don't know what it is, and I can't describe it, you really just have to hear it to feel the negativity. Definitely not metal, but it meets the criteria for sad songs more than any song on this list, which is definitely saying something. Avernus - The Isolationist: ZcGDAUj915I I've recommended Avernus a number of times, as they're one of the best doom/death metal bands to have ever existed. You may think that I'm biased because Rick McCoy was the vocalist in my band, but I felt this way before he and I joined Nevertanezra. However, I've never recommended this, one of my favorite Avernus songs, and one of their saddest and most melancholic pieces, honestly only because it's from an unreleased demo. This song is even difficult to find on the internet, and I'm one of the people that has a CD-R copy of it because we were in a band together. Somebody finally uploaded it to YouTube, so I'll share it with you all now. This is Avernus at their heaviest, most despondent, and melancholic, as an ode to isolation should be. The keyboards, guitar riffs and melodies, and of course Rick's fantastic vocals paint quite the sad picture here, one of the saddest and most gripping songs I've ever heard.

Not a single doom song on here
I put up Pendulum by Funeral... But now that you mention it I should have brought up Forest Stream, even the very sound of their music is sad. I still love it though, so I'm planning on picking up The Crown of Winter when I can.

5. Fade to Black by Metallica. I love the voice in this song and the lyrics fit perfectly the music.

There is something in this song that makes it quite sad. It certainly is the guitar in the background. 3. Letter to Dana by Sonata Arctica. I'm not a really huge fan of SA, I might know only two or three of their songs but Letter to Dana has something very sad in it. The refrain is the best part and the power in this song.
What the lyrics are about already make the song sad. The with the female voice this song is just among the saddest I've heard.
It's not Metal, but I could no think of a saddest song in my opinion. It's not something special in this song, just the whole song that is sad. And I add this one,
by Judas Priest

There are a lot of songs I can't listen to because they bring back awful past memories, so some of my choices might be a bit "off" because of that. Pantera - Cemetary Gates ( see above ^ ) Halford - Silent Screams ( The entire atmosphere and sound of that song is just really sad to me, but I appreciate it because of that. ) Metallica - Fade to Black Iron Maiden - Brave New World ( Pretty much for the same reason as Silent Screams, it just has a really sad sound to it. ) Nightwish - The Islander I will probably definitely update this list, these are the only songs I could pull off the top of my head. It should look a bit more meaningful once I put some deep thought into it though!

I'm not the biggest fan of depressive music but let me think... 5. Tiamat-Gaia 4. Amorphis-Alone 3. Gamma ray-Lake of tears 2. Helloween- A tale that wasn't right 1. Iron Maiden- Strange world Most of those songs are related to wrong expectations to me which makes them really sad...Like when you truly believe things will be ok and well, they are not. Like when you give the best and yet you find you misunderstood everything and you can't change a thing. I am not suuuch a fan of ballads even but the first 3 are bugging me quite a lot.

Do you think I can think of a single song that hasn't already been mentioned? Nope. Typical! Good call on "1916" by Motorhead though - that song always gives me goosebumps whenever I listen to it. A superb piece. Although I'm not entirely sure what all of their songs are about (sadly, I haven't had the time to look up/translate the lyrics), Cor Scorpii's stuff has a wonderfully melancholic atmosphere.

I put up Pendulum by Funeral... But now that you mention it I should have brought up Forest Stream, even the very sound of their music is sad. I still love it though, so I'm planning on picking up The Crown of Winter when I can.
Indeed you did. I started working on that post before you had posted your list, I kept getting interrupted before I could finish, pesky job! So far, I've only seen one other doom song from Solitude Aeturnus, and a couple of people mentioned Anathema and Novembers doom, but it's from their non-doom releases. Interesting, you guys should definitely give a listen to the ones I put up if you want some truly depressing music.

These are the songs on my list, can't really come with an effective order to them because sometimes I feel one is sadder than the other and then later it does feel as sad, eh one can I say. I know somebody is going to bash me for putting The Burning Red from Machine Head since that album was nu-metal but that song was honestly the best song off the album not mention sad Iced Earth-I Died For You Megadeth- Darkest Hour Metallica- Sad But True Evile- In Memoriam Machine Head- The Burning Red

too tough to pick an order but Metallica - One this song is in my opinion the saddest Metallica ever got and whilst it will be completely at odds with the next four songs I still think it merits inclusion Mournful Congregation - Mother - Water, The Great Ocean Wept the most depressing and sad song on one of the saddest and most depressing albums I have ever heard, really depressing stuff Nevertanezra - The Fading this song always, always makes me feel sad so makes my list quite comfortably Avernus - An Endless Sea Of Evening really quite sad and depressing, not as much as the song BAN posted but I hadn't heard that before today and it isn't in my collection Reclusiam - Litanies Of Rust And Decay the song title alone is enough to drop the mood in any room but the song is horribly depressing (in a good way, so far as manic depression can be considered good anyway) and BAN was complaining of a lack of doom...