80's and 90's metal vs. nowdays metal

On 8/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, Tortuga said:

I agree!!! I do not care if a song was written 40 years ago or 3 months ago, by a 60 year old or 16 year old: if it is good then I'll listen to it, buy the CD, or buy it online and download it...if there is no other option available! Time is something that I have never really understood or had a good concept of and it has nothing to do with my music choice. Metal has a long history: if you include classical music which a lot of metal is based on then it hundreds of years old. And well, sticking exclusively to one or two decades with in more than five centuries or more, seems very limited.

But as for personal preferences: the 1993 to around 1995 did nothing for me music wise!

And that’s perfectly fine because it’s personal taste.

For me though, albums like ‘De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas’, ‘In the Nightside Eclipse’ and ‘Storm of the Lights Bane’, to name but three, are the near pinnacle of metal evolution and the beginning of its devolution.

Throw ‘Turn Loose the Swans’, ‘Bloody Kisses’ and hell, even ‘Demanufacture’ in there and we are starting to look at a special time in musical output. 

Hail 1993-1995.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just because something is new does not entail that it is in any way better (or more worthy of attention) than something that is old.  Just as anticipation of the future can bring new advents to music

The past is a whole heap of 'nows' collected behind us. Our current time is simply one set of 'now'. Therefore, the past is better because it contains 50 years of metal 'nows', whereas the current mom

I really can't stand it when people claim that good metal died in the 80s and early 90s. There is some superb metal being made nowadays and there's no point turning up one's nose at it. As a matter of

• 1 month later...

I think it really depends. There was a lot of shit metal back then too, we just don't remember it and it didn't stand the test of time. Today we have it all at our fingertips, literally. You can go to youtube or google and find just about anything, including good AND bad bands.  Sadly, as metal became more "mainstream" the record companies pushed the acts that they could sell to the lowest common denominator, which tends to be easy listening type metal.  I LIKE that you have to search for good metal in a sea of crap.  It makes finding that gem of a band that much more satisfying.

• 1 year later...

I agree with a few others. There was some amazing music from 80s 90s and some amazing music now. Although I would say the 90s was not a great time for traditional metal with such heavy hitters such as exodus, testament, even slayer struggling to know how to adapt to nu metal and grunge which was dominant then. Although obviously alot of people must love the 90s grunge and nu metal. Not for me though. ??still some great music in 90s early opeth is some of my favourite, chaos ad album fuck yeahhh etc. For me there is no classic era because in every era from 50s to today there is amazing music if you search hard enough with intelligence. Obviously some would disagree but thats my opinion.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...