The Sport Thread

satan 59

nah I'll just voice my opinion through social media, honestly I hope that in a few years Port Adelaide are getting negative and hate-filled articles written about them because then it will be justified when we're sitting on top of the AFL as the best team going 'round. for 140 years in the SANFL Port Adelaide have been hated because they are the best, they have won more premierships then any other club not just in the SANFL but in any of the State-only leagues (WAFL in Western Australia, VFL in Victoria and I'm not sure what the others are called) and so I hope things go down that path with the Port Adelaide AFL team very soon because really the club needs that "us against them" mentality since we are so hated by most of the state

in AFL the crowd are generally well behaved we don't have riots over free kicks or missed goals like you lot with your bloody soccer games (though I have to admit some of the chants they come up with are brilliant) it's just that Port Adelaide have dominated South Australian football for 140 years and in that time ammassed 36 premierships which is more then most of the SANFL clubs combined and speaking of great chants here's one a British friend of mine came up with last Ashes series "Oh dear what can the matter be? Ponting's team is a fucking catastrophe Lost the Ashes and losing his captaincy Poor old Ricky Ponting"

but how clever was it? in other news I look set to be three from three in my AFL tips for round one (tips is a competition in which people try to predict who will win each game that week) I tipped Essendon to beat Adelaide and they did, I tipped Fremantle to beat West Coast and they did, I've tipped Richmond to beat Carlton and so far Richmond are right on top, I've tipped Brisbane to beat the Western Bulldogs tomorrow night, Sydney to beat GWS, St. Kilda to beat Gold Coast, Melbourne and Port Adelaide to draw, North Melbourne to beat Collingwood and Geelong to beat Hawthorn

That more than a beating. Today is play off hockey for my team. They lost 4-3 last away so we have to win at home today by 2 goals, not to bad but you never know what will happen. Yes hockey players play 2 in a row not like footballers (soccer players for you none Brits), this is normal.

Play off hockey is so stressful. We won 7-2 but that doesn't tell the whole story. Next week it's a weekend in Coventry for the finals. Semi's on Saturday and hopefully the final on Sunday ( yes hockey players play 2 days in a row, it's normal). It will be a boozy weekend so I will be a mess. If we win I'll be a complete mess. :-)

meanwhile I'll be attending my first AFL game of 2013 going to see Port Adelaide play GWS and hopefully see my team win, if they do it will be the first home game I've attended where Port have won since 2007, that's not to say it will be the first home game they've won however I just don't attend enough games

Watching ice hockey tonight. Happy that this week is also the start of baseball in the U.S. (and Canada). :D
As for hockey, gave it up a long time ago. Baseball, on the other hand, is great but not going well for my Blue Jays yet. O-2 so far. Lost two straight to Cleveland so far. Third game of the series is tonight and I hope they take at least one out of this series. Don't start the season getting swept. Not good. They're supposed to be 7-1 faves to win the World Series this year!! Gotta get it going early! Who's your team, Forge? You a Marlins fan?

I don't care for baseball but I can empathise with your team being swept by the opposition. In the AFL there's a very interesting dynamic developing where Hawthorn, statistically the best team in the league, simply can not beat Geelong. Hawthorn last defeated Geelong in the 2008 AFL Grand Final and since then Geelong have beaten Hawthorn in ten consecutive games

As for hockey' date=' gave it up a long time ago.[/quote'] You are not a real Canadian are you? Gave up on hockey, now that proves it. :-) Hockey play off weekend for me which means 4 matches over the 2 days, semis on Saturday then U18's international followed by the final on Sunday. Hope my team make it but it will be fun whatever happens and a little messy as it means drinking. Down side it's the last UK hockey until September. :-(

Port are going pretty well so far actually, we won the trial game in London against the Western Bulldogs, we won three of our five NAB Cup (pre-season competition) games, losing one of those by just one point and the other because it was a three way game where we had to play back to back and the second team had a break during our first game. We're currently undefeated 2 rounds into the season proper and sitting second on the ladder behind Essendon (who absolutely annihilated Melbourne last night scoring 28 goals 28 behinds 184 to Melbourne's 5 goals six behinds 36)