The Sport Thread

satan 59

Trying to work out how my AFL fantasy team notched up 2081 when so many of my players had lowish scores and my captain only managed 180 points. I won't place well overall but with Gray, Shiel, Fyfe, Pendlebury, Barlow, Scott Thompson, Rockliff, and Tom Mitchell in the midfield I won't lose another game in either league.

• 2 months later...

Been hard having Fyfe out for 2 weeks, but i have had Goldstein as my captain and he has had some brilliant games!

I am happy with the way Melbourne has been playing since our win againts collingwood, we just need to win back to back games.

What are your thoughts on Port, Murph?

I've been hit hard with injury and suspension going into the fantasy finals. Gazza, Fyfe, Wines, and now LeCras and possibly Dangerfield. Not what I want going into finals. I am comming off a 2272 though.

I am disgusted with our season to be honest. We aren't playing as a team and there's been a startling lack of work ethic all year. I don't know what happened over the preseason but it's like being back in 2011/12 and if it doesn't change we're in for a similar dose of pain over the next few years.

• 2 months later...

we need a better midfield. On the plus side we still have the number 2 draft pick from last year Christian Petracca to come into the team! having two ruckman has it's perks especially if one gets injured you have a backup. You wouldn't want the same thing that happened at GWS with Mumford going down with no back ups. It might be a little congested up in the forward line for port, but now you have 2 big forwards to go to, the opposition defenders will have a hard time containing both Schulz and Dixon, and that leaves Westhoff and Wingard to get some easy goals.

Actually we have 4. Schulz (192cm), Westhoff (199cm), Ryder (197cm)/Lobbe (200cm), Dixon (200cm). The difference is that both Westhoff and Trengove can go into the ruck and do a serviceable job of it. Delisting Redden was our biggest mistake as it leaves us just two ruckmen on the entire list.

• 3 weeks later...

If we'd batted like that in England maybe, just maybe, we'd still have that little urn in our possession. New Zealand didn't sustain the pressure like England did but still bowled incredibly well the first hour and probably would have taken four or five wickets in the process six months ago. Joey Burns and Khawaja almost outshine Warner too which will probably never happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

He was handy with the willow in hand, 11 half-centuries, 1 century, and a test batting average of 22, but with ball in hand Mitch Johnson was deadly. In 73 tests big Mitch took 313 wickets at an average of 28 and claimed five in an innings 12 times. He also brike 100 helmets and a few bones. Now he's retired from international cricket and there's a few players who won't be sad to see the back of him.

And even the commentator's weren't safe from the wrath of Johnson

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lebron James eh? It's well established he's the best since Jordan. This may sound crazy but I think he's well on the way to proving he's simply the best. You want proof? Who else, in the history of the game, could outright win an All-Stars game? Team Curry was stacked and LeBron all but won it for his team. There was no team LeBron. It was LeBron and friends. The man is a freak.

Oh also it's nearly the start of AFL season 2018 and I'm quietly confident Port Adelaide will finish outside the bottom 4. Whether we do much more then that? I very much doubt it.

• 1 month later...

So this is the only acceptable place for the following rant really.

It's often been said that, second only to the Prime Minister, being captain of the Australian cricket team was the most prestigious and important job any Aussie could have. The skipper was tasked not only with leading his troops but also upholding the values of Australia. We were tough, uncompromising, and ruthless. Most of all though we played fair. That had been the way for over 100 years. In one moment though that proud history has been damaged beyond repair.

Our captain, his players, and one can only presume the coaches of our national team have cheated. Worse then the act itself, for we've seen ball tampering from other teams before, was the planning and blatant disregard for both the integrity of both the baggy green and game itself. It's concerning that not one player spoke out against the idea. What is truly reprehensible however is the encouragement given by our captain for young Bancroft bringing forward the idea.

I've competed in sport at a reasonable level and so can say that it is never acceptable to cheat. The ICC has handed down a penalty, and one which seems manifestly inadequate given the severity of this conduct. We now wait on Cricket Australia to take further action. In my view though there can be only one response. Those 12 can never again don the baggy green, nor can they represent Australia in any form of cricket. They ought to be treated just as we would deal with athletes who cheat by using performance enhancing drugs for both seek to gain unfair advantage. The coaches must also be held accountable and join their players in exile. Australian cricket will never again be that pillar of tough, fair, play and that lost reputation lays shattered at the feet of Steven Smith.

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

So this is the only acceptable place for the following rant really.

It's often been said that, second only to the Prime Minister, being captain of the Australian cricket team was the most prestigious and important job any Aussie could have. The skipper was tasked not only with leading his troops but also upholding the values of Australia. We were tough, uncompromising, and ruthless. Most of all though we played fair. That had been the way for over 100 years. In one moment though that proud history has been damaged beyond repair.

Our captain, his players, and one can only presume the coaches of our national team have cheated. Worse then the act itself, for we've seen ball tampering from other teams before, was the planning and blatant disregard for both the integrity of both the baggy green and game itself. It's concerning that not one player spoke out against the idea. What is truly reprehensible however is the encouragement given by our captain for young Bancroft bringing forward the idea.

I've competed in sport at a reasonable level and so can say that it is never acceptable to cheat. The ICC has handed down a penalty, and one which seems manifestly inadequate given the severity of this conduct. We now wait on Cricket Australia to take further action. In my view though there can be only one response. Those 12 can never again don the baggy green, nor can they represent Australia in any form of cricket. They ought to be treated just as we would deal with athletes who cheat by using performance enhancing drugs for both seek to gain unfair advantage. The coaches must also be held accountable and join their players in exile. Australian cricket will never again be that pillar of tough, fair, play and that lost reputation lays shattered at the feet of Steven Smith.

Steve Smith is an amazing batsmen, but he and David Warner are hardly Einsteins. I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner - it's just so believable. And as if Bancroft would come up with the idea of ball tampering in only his 8th test match or however many it is. 

Smith is mad to have done this. He was the best batsman in the world, why even bother with this craziness. It's all so weird. It's like a set-up or something. 

Also, I know you love the Aussies but the Australian cricket team has long had a reputation for pushing ethical boundaries. Sledging, bowling under arm, Steve Waugh's 'mental disintegration'. This is why I support the English cricket team. God save the queen! ;)

The underarm incident was before my time and did go against the spirit of the game. Outside of that I stand by my assessment. We were tough, ruthless, sure we pushed the limits a bit but we still played fair and within the rules. Smith has torched the careers of all 12 players involved in that game (don't believe for a second they didn't all agree with the ball tampering). I'll also stand by my call for all 12 to be exiled from cricket permanently. What team we field moving forward I don't know. What I do know is players who hold the laws of their sport in such low regard can't be allowed back in.

On a lighter note the footy season is back and I have to admit it was good to see Gaz back where he belongs.

21 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

The underarm incident was before my time and did go against the spirit of the game. Outside of that I stand by my assessment. We were tough, ruthless, sure we pushed the limits a bit but we still played fair and within the rules. Smith has torched the careers of all 12 players involved in that game (don't believe for a second they didn't all agree with the ball tampering). I'll also stand by my call for all 12 to be exiled from cricket permanently. What team we field moving forward I don't know. What I do know is players who hold the laws of their sport in such low regard can't be allowed back in.

On a lighter note the footy season is back and I have to admit it was good to see Gaz back where he belongs.

Gary Ablett back at Geelong. I never thought I’d see the day!

On 27/03/2018 at 7:13 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

It's good to see. Just as good is having another Motlop running around in the teal, black, and white.

Steve Smith one year ban with potential to lead again.

Dave Warner one year ban and ban on all future leadership positions.

Cameron Bancroft nine month ban and potential to lead. 

Finally we’re seeing an end to Australia’s unsporting culture. I think this will change things for the better. I might even support Australian cricket again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/26/2018 at 11:07 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

relentless oblivion,what about bodyline tour. us english aren't all white either. is this forgotten about. it did happen coming up for 100 years ago😂

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 3:15 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

The rules of cricket changed due to body line. Spot on about England though, difference is iirc you lot didn’t get caught using mints on the ball. If you had I’d make the same argument. Shame too many players over the years resorted to cheating.

yeah we got away with mints on ball in  ashes2005 and monty pannesar did tampering with more mints,suncream and zip of trouser in ashes2009,2011. still its not as bad as sandpaper like you lot did,  i thought suspension of players was bit harsh really, 6 months would have been ok for me, it was great though at the time imo, happy memories of  Australia without 2 of there best batsman, repeat performance before the upcoming ashes would be fantastic, even then England would probably lose, if we cant beat new Zealand at home. were in trouble